Football / sport related books / autobiographys

cantleyzonehmfc

cantleyzonehmfc

I have just recently finished reading an autobiography by the golfer John daly and i found it was a good read and interesting book , is there any other books or autobiographys that anyone would recommned whether it be football or any other sports related book ?

My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes by Gary Imlach is an excellent read. All about football before the maximum wage was done away with. And his struggle with the SFA to get the caps he felt his father was owed. Despite playing in a world cup he didn't have any caps as he didn't play in the Home Internationals.

FOUL!: The Secret World of FIFA, by Andrew Jennings.

I would say that this book is an absolute "must read" for any football fan. It's well researched, well written, and guaranteed to make you look at "the beautiful game" in a very different light. Honestly can't recommend it highly enough, and although it mainly about FIFA, it does cover other associations and gives an insight to the thinking behind what's currently being fought in Swiss courts between UEFA and Sion.

George Best and 21 others a book that looks at the careers of all the players that played in a City v Utd Youth Cup semi in the early 60's.

Bert Trautman story a good read as well.

FOUL!: The Secret World of FIFA, by Andrew Jennings.

I would say that this book is an absolute "must read" for any football fan. It's well researched, well written, and guaranteed to make you look at "the beautiful game" in a very different light. Honestly can't recommend it highly enough, and although it mainly about FIFA, it does cover other associations and gives an insight to the thinking behind what's currently being fought in Swiss courts between UEFA and Sion.

I agree and on a similar note "how they stole the game" by David Yallop is well worth a read

"Out of time (why football isn't working)" b Alex Flynn and Lynton Guest

"ken Tyrell" by Maurice Hamilton is a good insight into that particular genius's world

"Jim Clark remembered" by my friend Graham Gauld is another good motor racing book

Any book by JYS also good reading

and on a lighter note Does Sid Waddell's book on darts count as a sport? :woot:

The Ghost of White Hart lane, really good read about John White who died very young after being struck by lightning, good musselborough boy, his brother Tom played for us and played and scored in his own brother's testimonial.

Tony Cascarino's Autobio. :thumbsup:

Cant remember what its called

Its a very good and interesting .

Tony Cascarino's Autobio. :thumbsup:

Cant remember what its called

Its a very good and interesting .

Think its called full time.Good read differant to the other football autobiography's.

Gordon Smith Prince of wingers has just been released. It was written by his son Tony and looks like an interesting read. :thumbsup:

As well as playing for Hearts for a while he did support Hearts

Another recommendation for the Jennings book.

Jonathan Wilson's Inverting the Pyramid and Behind the Curtain

Pitch Invasion by Barbara Smit - Goes into the details behind the Puma/Adidas split

Manchester United Ruined My Life - Colin Shindler

Moneyball and The Blind Side by Michael Lewis

Football/Soccer Against the Enemy - Simon Kuper

Broken Dreams - Tom Bower

Game of Shadows - Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams

Foul Play - David Thomas

Morbo! - Phil Ball

There are probably others ive forgot though!:lol:

Think its called full time.Good read differant to the other football autobiography's.

Aye, 'Full Time: the Secret Life of Tony Cascarino'. Excellent read.

The Ghost of White Hart lane, really good read about John White who died very young after being struck by lightning, good musselborough boy, his brother Tom played for us and played and scored in his own brother's testimonial.

Just read this recently, have to second the recommendation. Features Hearts prominently with the Dave Mackay and Tom White connections. Really absorbing book with great anecdotes about Scottish football in the 60's. :thumbsup:

I can recommend the " the Glory Game " by Hunter Davies a year in the life of Tottenham Hotspur, 1971/72, a modern classic

The boys in Maroon by John fairgrieve Hearts 1985/86 season

Barca by Jimmy Burns

Ajax Barcelona Cruyff, the Johann Cruyff story

Sir Ian McGeechans autiobiog is good reading. Comes from very humble origins (unlike a lot of egg chasers of his time) and his days as a cricketer when he got p'ed off by Geoff Boycott make interesting reading. Good all round read.

Sir Ian McGeechans autiobiog is good reading. Comes from very humble origins (unlike a lot of egg chasers of his time) and his days as a cricketer when he got p'ed off by Geoff Boycott make interesting reading. Good all round read.

avoid 99% of all Scottish players books..mostly ghosted by 2nd rate journos,and exploitative

Amongst the Thugs.....Bill Bufford

a Season with Verona Tim Parks

The Miracle of castel di sangro...Joe Mcginniss

Away wi the goalie John Fairgrieve

Garry Nelson - Left Foot Forward

This.

I find it rather dull reading about millionaire footballers who have more money than brains. I prefer reading the books of players from an era when footballers didnt earn a whole lot more than the average man in the street.

This book has been out for a long time but the guy was basically a journeyman pro who tells what its like to be one bad tackle away from career over and having to worry about supporting his family. A very good read.

Jimmy Greaves book is pretty good as well.

scott herbertson

Probably already mentioned but for me "The Dave Mackay Story" :thumbsup:

I've just been reading Dave Mackay's Soccer My Spur written way back in 1961 - has some interesting Hearts stuff in it and a few photos I hadn't seen before

In sporting terms i only like football autobiographies. Gary Mackay's was an interesting read, never keen on Levein by the sound of it. John Robertson.... did he do one? Minds went blank, if so i'd have read it. Dave MacPherson's was good, be an interesting read if David weir and Steven Pressley brought one out. Seen Gazza's in a charity shop window a few months back, didn't have time to go in and went back a couple of hours later and it was gone.

caithnessjambo

Lance armstrongs first book...its not about the bike.

Cracking read!!

Overall, this book was outstanding, truly an inspirational story. Although it may be labeled a ?sports book,? in reality it is a heroic narrative with a bit of sport flavoring. It conveys a powerful message that is not soon lost on the reader. I could not put it down. A must read.

MacDonald Jardine

In sporting terms i only like football autobiographies. Gary Mackay's was an interesting read, never keen on Levein by the sound of it. John Robertson.... did he do one? Minds went blank, if so i'd have read it. Dave MacPherson's was good, be an interesting read if David weir and Steven Pressley brought one out. Seen Gazza's in a charity shop window a few months back, didn't have time to go in and went back a couple of hours later and it was gone.

McPherson's lost a bit when he forgot Scotland lost rather than drew with Holland in the Euro Championships.

Up Pompey by Chuck Culpepper, an American journalist discovering English football and following Portsmouth is interesting.

My tips...

Futebol: The Brazilian Way of Life by Alex Bellos - the best book I have ever read about football

The Autobiography by Niall Quinn - read this and Eamon Dunphy's Roy Keane back to back for a real insight into both players and obsession

Provide You Don't Kiss Me by Duncan Hamilton - the REAL story about Brian Clough

Football Against the Enemy by Simon Kuper - great in its time but a bit dated now

Reading Frank McDougoall which is rough and reaady but actually captures Frank very well

Davie Weir has brought a book out this month.

Derek Fergusons was a really good book.Roy Keane,and Robbie Fowler also.

Archived