Hearts attacked over 'biased' fan survey

asomerville

This is amazing what the F is she on about Hearts need to do something about the Old stand and its nothing to do with the Cockburn Association.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Hearts-attacked-over-39biased39-fan.6837988.jp

It was biased. Those very many Hearts fans who want the club to remain at Tynecastle weren't asked their views on that at all.

As 'consultation exercises' go, it brought to mind the sort of thing New Labour made an art form of. "We want your opinions! We're listening to you! As long as you tell us exactly what we've already decided, that is".

She's quite right, the questions were weighted. They were also answered honestly I'm sure.

She must be making the assumption we are all stupid of course. I made this point in the other comments when I responded to the survey.

The survey was just that, a survey, a consultation of opinion. If a shabby proposal is tabled you can be sure the fans well make their opinion known.

Why is there this knee-jerk reaction among many fans that anyone from outwith the club who says anything remotely critical about the club is wrong and is "out to get us". The survey was undoubtedly biased. She is right.

GC

She's quite right, the questions were weighted. They were also answered honestly I'm sure.

She must be making the assumption we are all stupid of course. I made this point in the other comments when I responded to the survey.

The survey was just that, a survey, a consultation of opinion. If a shabby proposal is tabled you can be sure the fans well make their opinion known.

Have you seen the state of the Hearts Facebook page lately Carl ?? JKB is unrepresentative as, perhaps unbelieveably, it represents the more "literate" element of the support.

I also commented in the "comments" section that I was against moving from Tynecastle but I wonder how many respondents to the survey thought to do the same.

GC

Have you seen the state of the Hearts Facebook page lately Carl ?? JKB is unrepresentative as, perhaps unbelieveably, it represents the more "literate" element of the support.

I also commented in the "comments" section that I was against moving from Tynecastle but I wonder how many respondents to the survey thought to do the same.

GC

Fair comment. I'm not on Facebook. Trumpet central is it?

This is amazing what the F is she on about Hearts need to do something about the Old stand and its nothing to do with the Cockburn Association.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/heartofmidlothianfc/Hearts-attacked-over-39biased39-fan.6837988.jp

Article seems fine to me.

The survey did only asked about moving away.

The Future's Maroon

The questions/survey was about IF we had to move away...so of course they would be worded that way....silly mair.

Why dont the club just ask the fans if in an ideal world would you want to stay at Tynecastle ? yes or no.

To me the club is making an arse of the fans

gorgie rd eh11

The survey was a pile of s***e. I know as many non Hearts supporters who filled it in as do Hearts fans. If the results of that biased rubbish are used as a reason to leave Tynecastle then we will have been stitched up. :down:

If Hearts leave Tynecastle, it will be down to money and money only! Business is business! I hardly think that Hearts are going to make a decision on relocating to another stadium on one silly survey.

Broxburn_Jambo

Couldn't care less what the sandal wearing wierdy beardies at the Cockburn Association have to say. They will oppose any new development regardless of where or what it is.

"Ms Williams said that the club wants to move to the area of Murray Estates' proposed "Garden District" in the west of the city, on green-belt land near Edinburgh Park. "

Shite. Does she have a source for us wanting to move there? Thought not. Smelly tree ######

gorgie rd eh11

If Hearts leave Tynecastle, it will be down to money and money only! Business is business! I hardly think that Hearts are going to make a decision on relocating to another stadium on one silly survey.

Of course it's down to money. The survey was a complete waste of time for anyone who filled it in.

Jam Tarts 1874

I sometimes just can't believe how thick some Hearts fans are. The stadium survey was VERY CLEARLY on the basis that Hearts want to stay at Tynecastle, but if that is not possible give the club your opinions on alternatives.

You can read Hearts' response to Ms Williams on the official website.

Remnants of Standards

In the wee box at the survey's end i said i wanted Hearts to stay at our spiritual home Tynecastle "if at all possible".

I knew then as i know now however, that like Elton John i was probably "pishing in the wind". :down::(

I sometimes just can't believe how thick some Hearts fans are. The stadium survey was VERY CLEARLY on the basis that Hearts want to stay at Tynecastle, but if that is not possible give the club your opinions on alternatives.

You can read Hearts' response to Ms Williams on the official website.

The questionnaire began with the immortal sentence:

This questionnaire has been compiled to gather your views and preferences on the proposed redevelopment of Tynecastle Stadium.

There then followed no questions on the redevelopment of Tynecastle. Zero. None. As an example of Newspeak, it'd take some beating.

Mind you - your apologist post above makes you sound like you're connected with the club in some official capacity anyway. Hi Sergei/Rodney/Campbell. How's it going? :wave1:

jambos are go!

It was biased. Those very many Hearts fans who want the club to remain at Tynecastle weren't asked their views on that at all.

As 'consultation exercises' go, it brought to mind the sort of thing New Labour made an art form of. "We want your opinions! We're listening to you! As long as you tell us exactly what we've already decided, that is".

Unlike the LibDems who pledge to do what you want then betray you e.g Tuition Fees

Unlike the LibDems who pledge to do what you want then betray you e.g Tuition Fees

:rofl:

Trust you to pop up at any mention of Labour. :lol: And only you could then cite an example in which the Lib Dems have learnt from the masters of lies and spin.

"We will not introduce top-up fees and have legislated against them".

- 2001 Labour Party manifesto

In 2003, guess what? Top-up fees were introduced; and Labour didn't even have the excuse of being in coalition either. :down:

Ricardo Quaresma

Or the SNP RE Student loans

jambos are go!

:rofl:

Trust you to pop up at any mention of Labour. :lol: And only you could then cite an example in which the Lib Dems have learnt from the masters of lies and spin.

"We will not introduce top-up fees and have legislated against them".

- 2001 Labour Party manifesto

In 2003, guess what? Top-up fees were introduced; and Labour didn't even have the excuse of being in coalition either. :down:

How many days never mind years did it take the LibDems to betray Students. One hand should suffice.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I know its off topic but surely its only utter arseholes that vote lib dem?

Does anyone still want to vote for them these days?

As incredible as it seems... There are still a handful of Lib Dem supporters kicking about. The coalition has wiped most of them out in Scotland though... :thumbsup:

How the feck has this thread become a political debate? verymad.gif

Close it down Mods - pile of pish.

Before I go though ...

Hearts refute "bias" allegation

17.09.2011Hearts have today refuted a reported accusation of "bias" made by Marion Williams, director of city heritage group, the Cockburn Association in relation to the club's online supporter survey regarding stadium development.

Reports in Friday's Edinburgh Evening News claimed that Ms Williams stated that "They (Hearts) will have to sell the whole (Tynecastle Stadium) area for flats" and that Ms Williams "said that the club wants to move to the area of Murray Estates' proposed Garden District". Ms Williams is also reported as claiming the "survey had questions that were worded in a way that encourages Hearts fans to back a move".

David Southern, Managing Director, Heart of Midlothian Football Club, said: "We find it very disappointing that an organisation such as the Cockburn Association would be so misguided in its appraisal of Hearts' current stadium development status. If Ms Williams comments have been reported accurately we would encourage her to meet with the club in order that she can be brought up to speed with the project. Thereafter the Association could establish a view based on the facts of the situation.

"Hearts have been working for years to try and redevelop our current stadium. We are continuing to look at ways of doing this as it has been the desire of the directors and supporters for some time to deliver a first class football stadium to the city on the present Tynecastle site. However, while our desire is to deliver such a project, the increasingly onerous conditions placed on the club and economic reality, may and I repeat may, mean that Hearts has to look to a future away from Tynecastle.

"The supporters have been fully appraised of the situation and nothing will be decided without further consultation. However reported comments regarding future plans, for example, for flats at Tynecastle or the suggestion that a site has been selected, such as the Garden District, are completely without foundation. It appears to us to be a case of two plus two making 16."

googled her name and came up with this,

MARION WILLIAMS was born in Tunbridge Wells in Kent and was the youngest of two daughters.

She was educated at Cambridge University, where she studied teaching between 1975 and 1979.

After graduating, Marion taught religious studies for eight years in Sussex, Cambridge and Newmarket, before working as an IT consultant between 1985 and 1992.

She then became development manager of Red House Books, a position she held for three years, before taking on the role of IT contract manager for Essex County Council, during which time she was also a councillor for Braintree District Council for four years.

Marion campaigned for the East of England Labour party for six months in 1999 before becoming parliamentary assistant for Stephen Byers MP for five years. She also chaired an NHS Care Trust in Essex during this time.

Before taking on the role of director of the Cockburn Association she was development manager for OneCity Trust for two-and-a-half years.

and she supports the bar codes .

It doesn't matter how loaded the survey questions were because the survey will have no bearing on the outcome of the decision.

It wasn't a referendum because this is not a democracy.

I thought the whole reason behind the survey was to find out fan opinions if we have to move or maybe I'm getting wrong idea

The questionnaire began with the immortal sentence:

This questionnaire has been compiled to gather your views and preferences on the proposed redevelopment of Tynecastle Stadium.

There then followed no questions on the redevelopment of Tynecastle. Zero. None. As an example of Newspeak, it'd take some beating.

Mind you - your apologist post above makes you sound like you're connected with the club in some official capacity anyway. Hi Sergei/Rodney/Campbell. How's it going? :wave1:

Not one of the "can't believe how thick some Hearts fans are" fandangos has yet ventured a response to the fairly important question of why a questionnaire on the proposed redevelopment of Tynecastle (clearly labelled as such and introduced with a photo of Tynecastle Stadium) contained no questions on the proposed redevelopment of Tynecastle.

I don't suppose there's a possibility that they themselves are somewhat lacking in ze little grey cells?

GC

It was as simple as this.

It would appear that the Cockburn Association's woman from Tunbridge Wells has a better understanding of what's really going on at Hearts than a number of the frustrated wee boys that are spilling their thoughts onto this thread.

The survey was a fake consultation; this was blatantly clear from the line of questioning; why are some people who profess to be Hearts supporters in denial about this?

It's just sad, really

It doesn't matter how loaded the survey questions were because the survey will have no bearing on the outcome of the decision.

It wasn't a referendum because this is not a democracy.

Bingo.

Heart will do what is seen as best for their sharelders ( aka Vladimir Romanov ).

Broxburn_Jambo

It would appear that the Cockburn Association's woman from Tunbridge Wells has a better understanding of what's really going on at Hearts than a number of the frustrated wee boys that are spilling their thoughts onto this thread.

The survey was a fake consultation; this was blatantly clear from the line of questioning; why are some people who profess to be Hearts supporters in denial about this?

It's just sad, really

I don't think anybody is in denial about this but what the hell does it have to do with the Cockburn Association?

I don't think anybody is in denial about this but what the hell does it have to do with the Cockburn Association?

A lot given they have a major role in protecting Edinburgh's green belt.

Broxburn_Jambo

A lot given they have a major role in protecting Edinburgh's green belt.

And what does that have to do with the redevelopment of Tynecastle? The fact is they have massively jumped the gun here and gone public with a what if that may not even happen. Organisations like that are afforded ample opportunity to comment on large planning applications both pre and post application. My question is why they have gone public now?

I don't get their specific interest. Could go and look them up but maybe someone already knows & can explain... Are they a consultee of some description on our planning application? I vaguely remember them having plenty to say about the plans to develop Haymarket but can't recollect why...

And what does that have to do with the redevelopment of Tynecastle? The fact is they have massively jumped the gun here and gone public with a what if that may not even happen. Organisations like that are afforded ample opportunity to comment on large planning applications both pre and post application. My question is why they have gone public now?

Maybe they know thinks that we (the fans) don't? I think they work pretty closely with the council and maybe Hearts aren't trying as much as they say to look at redeveloping Tynecastle.

Given the lack of direct quote from her about bias, it looks to me that the Evening News have taken the survey results press release and thought 'how can we make additional stories out of this? preferably with a negative angle'. They've then worked through their contacts until they got to the Cockburn Association. Conversation probably involved the journ explaining the background to the survey and asking do you agree that it was biased and she agreed.

Where she does seem to have over-stepped her organisation's remit and knowledge is commenting on the likely financial return for selling the current site and that the 'Garden District' is their planned site for a new stadium. Hearts response is good, suggesting she meets with the club rather than just dismissing her concerns. No point making enemies needlessly.

As for the original survey, it didn't ask about staying at Tynecastle but then I'm sure the club are aware that 99.99% of Hearts fans would like to stay at Tynecastle in an ideal world. They tired to couch it in language to reassure that no decision has been made but it was clear what the point of the survey was - to get fans views based on the scenario that we do move. Of course primarilly a PR exercise but again a good sign that the club is working in the right way.

Archived