4-4-2 please..

William H. Bonney

William H. Bonney

Two wide men and two strikers. We should be attacking teams at home not this slow build up play we seem to have adopted. I know we won but there was zero excitement in that team.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two wide men and two strikers. We should be attacking teams at home not this slow build up play we seem to have adopted. I know we won but there was zero excitement in that team.

It's absolutely pish to watch.

Taouil was exciting.

Maybe I'm not in tune with other supporters, but I'm all about the winning first, style a distant second.

Paulo Sergio has done alright so far with his tactics/formation, so happy to trust in him for now. He'll be sacked by the start of next season, in any case. Maybe the next guy will be more to some people's footballing tastes.

I thought we were horrendous the first half except for about two moves one which led to the penalty but I thought we had some great play the second half especially through Medhi and Stevenson and if Eliiott(nearly always an inch away from connecting with the ball in every game he plays)had connected with a few crosses the score could have been more.

Starting to sound like Hibs, 3pts is all I could be Friar Tucked about tbh

Amen to that.

Football is a sport, not an entertainment.

Broxburn_Jambo

I thought he got it right today, pushed the full backs up to give width and had more players to attack through the middle.

We were as good as we needed to be today, I thought the 4-3-3 formation worked well enough. You can see that the players are trying to follow what the manager is telling them, building up from the back is something that'll take time to get right.

St. Mirren were playing Tesselaar very high up the pitch, we could've exploited that space down our right if we'd had someone like Templeton playing out wide.

I thought we were horrendous the first half except for about two moves one which led to the penalty but I thought we had some great play the second half especially through Medhi and Stevenson and if Eliiott(nearly always an inch away from connecting with the ball in every game he plays)had connected with a few crosses the score could have been more.

Agreed. I'm beginning to think Elliott is just pish. Runs about a lot but contributes the square root of bugger all to the performance :down:

PS is developing a style of play and that takes time. It looks like we have the basic shape etc so the speed of play will come.

Good win and 3 points on the board yet some still moan and greet because we dont hoof it long all day and charge after it!! Your average Scottish football fan is too thick to understand Paulo Sergio`s football philosophy.

Possesion is key, whether its at the back or up front, as long as the other team are chaising the ball they are working twice as hard, Garry O`Connor for example was breathing out his arse after 20 minutes of the recent derby.

Good win and 3 points on the board yet some still moan and greet because we dont hoof it long all day and charge after it!! Your average Scottish football fan is too thick to understand Paulo Sergio`s football philosophy.

Possesion is key, whether its at the back or up front, as long as the other team are chaising the ball they are working twice as hard, Garry O`Connor for example was breathing out his arse after 20 minutes of the recent derby.

You must be a below average Scottish football fan.

No one as posted asking for the ball to get hoofed and passing the ball among the back 4 then "hoofing" up the park is not possession football.

You must be a below average Scottish football fan.

No one as posted asking for the ball to get hoofed and passing the ball among the back 4 then "hoofing" up the park is not possession football.

ok, thanks.

The average football fans at Tynecastle managed not one Hearts song all game long. (I think this is a first as we won!)

Playing with this style kills the atmosphere.

What an absolute bore of a game to watch.

The only problem I had today was the complete lack of width down the right, almost everything went down the left. Apart from that I thought we knocked it about pretty well, had a few chances and were never in danger.

PS is trying hard to get a squad of players- some of whom are very limited- to play passing football....oh well lets take him to court under the trades description act cos we're not playing good old Scottish style 'pumping into the box hoping big kev will do something' football. PS is doing the right thing & is trying to get Hearts & it seems some of it's support, to think about playing football a new way! If we added to the squad with PS players then both the results & style will come.

Oh & correct me if I'm wrong but JJ's favored 4-4-2 got us pish performances, pish results & him binned!

###### this I'm off to the boozer

jamboinglasgow

The average football fans at Tynecastle managed not one Hearts song all game long. (I think this is a first as we won!)

Except it has been like that for quite a few seasons, even under "exciting" JJ football when on the winning streak we didn't really sing that much.

I despair at some of the comments on here at times.

Firstly we didnt just pass it around the back then hoof it thats bollocks frankly as there was some nice inter play and I suspect this is only the start of it.

Im assuming most posting on here moaning about the lack of entertainment were also the fan dans that were booing when we were passing the ball around the back, the Scottish football fan needs re-educated if you ask me.

Simply we have the ball and they dont so you get teams running about daft which means they are knackered after 70mins you also get them frustrated and in the end they chase you down and you can create some space to exploit.

To say we arent seeing any entertainment when we are trying to pass the ball around bearing in mind some of the crap we have had to watch over the years makes me sad and concerned that we can boo already when we are winning and frustrating teams christ knows what our fanbase will be like if we go through any drop in form.

Hammering a ball upto a front man is not the only option to play footie despite what we have seen in Scotland for the last 20years.

We won 2-0, that is all.

kennyblack'sshot

The slow build-up limits the other team's chances by keeping the ball off them and tiring them out, while at the same time probing for an opening. Blootering the ball up on the off chance of the ball bouncing kindly in the box just increases the number of times the other team will attack us. I really don't understand why some people don't get that.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I actually thought we played pretty well today in all honesty. The formation worked very well and a couple of things I did notice were that we were playing higher up the pitch than we have been previously and the players were moving the ball about a bit quicker.

Hamill and Grainger got up and down the line well to make up for the lack of width in midfield and we caused them a lot of problems when we had the ball in their half. It could have been more than 2-0 and we could have played all day without St Mirren scoring.

Very promising.

Why do people get frustrated when we play the ball back to the goalkeeper? I actually heard "supporters" booing a good Mrowiec pass to MacDonald in the first half... What's that all about? It's called retaining possession.

If people want to watch a team that hoofs the ball up the park, go to Easter Road every second Saturday, they have a few spare seats left.

We are on a fantastic run just now, playing the type of football that can bring success if implemented correctly.

Since the Spurs home game - 5 games - ZERO losses - FACT, FOUR out of five clean sheets - FACT, only ONE goal conceded in the last 462 minutes of football - FACT.

We are very hard to beat. I predict we will have single figures in the loss column by the end of the season.

Amen to this.

Firstly we didnt just pass it around the back then hoof it thats bollocks frankly as there was some nice inter play and I suspect this is only the start of it.

Im assuming most posting on here moaning about the lack of entertainment were also the fan dans that were booing when we were passing the ball around the back, the Scottish football fan needs re-educated if you ask me.

Simply we have the ball and they dont so you get teams running about daft which means they are knackered after 70mins you also get them frustrated and in the end they chase you down and you can create some space to exploit.

To say we arent seeing any entertainment when we are trying to pass the ball around bearing in mind some of the crap we have had to watch over the years makes me sad and concerned that we can boo already when we are winning and frustrating teams christ knows what our fanbase will be like if we go through any drop in form.

Hammering a ball upto a front man is not the only option to play footie despite what we have seen in Scotland for the last 20years.

5 games unbeaten, only 1 goal conceded. Last 3 games at home won with zero goals conceded.

Stick it right up your jacksie sideways you shower of moaning faced arseholes.

William H. Bonney

5 games unbeaten, only 1 goal conceded. Last 3 games at home won with zero goals conceded.

Stick it right up your jacksie sideways you shower of moaning faced arseholes.

bit touchy!

I thought we played really well (2nd half especially) and i enjoyed the game. The fitba that Sergio is trying to get us to adopt is slowly beginning to show promise. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season with the realisation that adopting a new style is not always going to work and that change does take time. Booing the pass back in order to keep possession is just bizzare imo.

What I've seen so far on Alba backs up your post!

We still need improvement, particularly up front and, that elusive Cameron/Hartley type player but, as work in progress, there is definite improvement!

Remember, when Hearts have the ball, the opposition have less opportunities to do anything.

bit touchy!

I think the trouble is we have been crying out to get a team to pass the ball and keep it and while we are clearly not the finished article we have at least started down the correct path of decent football which has been posted missing in Scotland and yet what happens.

People moan.

We dont stand a chance of moving on as a team, league or country in footballing terms if we dont re-educate fans about different styles rather than a hundred miles an hour high ball boredom fest.

Like I said it aint perfect there is alot of work to be done but im patient and even in transition of styles and maybe not the perfect personnel for this yet we are still winning.

Jambof3tornado

The slow build-up limits the other team's chances by keeping the ball off them and tiring them out, while at the same time probing for an opening. Blootering the ball up on the off chance of the ball bouncing kindly in the box just increases the number of times the other team will attack us. I really don't understand why some people don't get that.

This single word sums up the expectations and attitude of the average scottish football fan who wouldnt know talent if it ran rings round them.

Not a PS word!!!

We dont stand a chance of moving on as a team, league or country in footballing terms if we dont re-educate fans about different styles rather than a hundred miles an hour high ball boredom fest.

Clearly the team are adjusting to a new style of play but the fans need to adjust more.

William H. Bonney

In my original post all I asked for was a more attacking presence. Nothing about playing hoofball. We can still pass the ball around with 2 men upfront and 2 wide players. There is no point passing the ball about if no one has any creativity. Thats why the fans get frustrated.

gorgie rd eh11

We could have had an open Sunday league type game like dunfermline hibs, a two all draw with the pundits creaming themselves about how entertaining it was, even though it's more to do with poor defending than quality.

I'd rather have a 2-0 win myself. :)

Clearly the team are adjusting to a new style of play but the fans need to adjust more.

absolutely but then this is harder to do as its been ingrained in the psyche of a Scottish football fan

In my original post all I asked for was a more attacking presence. Nothing about playing hoofball. We can still pass the ball around with 2 men upfront and 2 wide players. There is no point passing the ball about if no one has any creativity. Thats why the fans get frustrated.

I appreciate that but we are still working things out and I have to say that having 2 wingers and 2 attackers runs the risk of us being over run there is a balance yet to be found.

Well said. :thumbsup:

But don't you understand that if you want wide men and 2 strikers then you are leaving the central midfield to the opposition so hoofball becomes a necessity. What is the point in playing 4 attacking players and then having no conduit to them other than the long hopeful ball? You would be as well playing 4-0-6 for all the good the central midfield would be in your formation - they'd be outnumbered in every match they played...

I agree that the creative spark is missing from the team, but we will get better results with this approach than what you are asking for. Hopefully Vlad will given Sergio the creative player and striker that he needs in due course but first the manager has to steady the ship with what he has and he's done that admirably.

Except it has been like that for quite a few seasons, even under "exciting" JJ football when on the winning streak we didn't really sing that much.

I never suggested it was exciting under Jefferies.

I just dont ever recall the fans NOT singing for 90 minutes.

A slow pedantic passing game will not create any atmosphere. A slick forward passing game at pace will.

The fans spoke today. (or actually they didnt if you get my meaning)

We won 2-0, that is all.

So we did - just watch the neutrals flock to see the new style - it will be difficult to get a ticket soon..............

I never suggested it was exciting under Jefferies.

I just dont ever recall the fans NOT singing for 90 minutes.

A slow pedantic passing game will not create any atmosphere. A slick forward passing game at pace will.

The fans spoke today. (or actually they didnt if you get my meaning)

Pray tell how you get to a fast passing game if your only just developing your passing game.

It takes time and some personnel will have to change we cant just suddenly become Barca the fans will have to be patient something were brilliant at as Hearts fans right enough.

Pray tell how you get to a fast passing game if your only just developing your passing game.

It takes time and some personnel will have to change we cant just suddenly become Barca the fans will have to be patient something were brilliant at as Hearts fans right enough.

Well for a start our players could actually make some forward runs to receive the ball.

The fans feed off the team, that is why there was no atmosphere.

:facepalm:

Sorry for that response but, we won.

And yet, people still greet.

I honestly reckon we have the most negative fans in the world.

Nothing is ever good enough.

But don't you understand that if you want wide men and 2 strikers then you are leaving the central midfield to the opposition so hoofball becomes a necessity. What is the point in playing 4 attacking players and then having no conduit to them other than the long hopeful ball? You would be as well playing 4-0-6 for all the good the central midfield would be in your formation - they'd be outnumbered in every match they played...

I agree that the creative spark is missing from the team, but we will get better results with this approach than what you are asking for. Hopefully Vlad will given Sergio the creative player and striker that he needs in due course but first the manager has to steady the ship with what he has and he's done that admirably.

I think PS is constantly changing the way he sets out the team and although I thought we had a few dodgy patches today we still won against a St Mirren team who have been playing well before today.

Not sure if they had an off day or if it was down to us not letting them play the way they wanted to as per PS's statement after the game.

I would be very surprised if he lined up like today against say Celtic because they would get far too much space in the wide areas if we did.

So long as the players can adjust to the different formations and we keep picking up the points then I am sure we will all be happy.

Well for a start our players could actually make some forward runs to receive the ball.

The fans feed off the team, that is why there was no atmosphere.

Players did make forward runs and there was some good interplay between the team but you seem to be someone who is not willing to let this style develop because it takes a long time and already the negativity is out, we are what 4-5 weeks into his managerial reign and more importantly were winning.

I despair at Scottish football fans just boo the players so they can then start smashing the ball 50yrds and we can maintain the same cycle of shit football i've watched most of my adult life.

Archived