Left Back

Sydney

Wallace, Naysmith, Fyssas, McKinlay - we've had a few good ones over the years.

Whittaker was only good with a headband and playing at centre back. Pointon was decent.

I think Tosh was my favourite, but Fyssas was the best.

When we signed Mahe I thought he would be over the hill but he put in some very good performances too. I remember he had a rampaging run down the left flank and put in a beauty of a cross for Mark De Vries to head home the winning goal in Mahe's last game for us.

I think Fyssas is probably my favourite just for the rapport he had with the fans and the way he took to us despite only being here for a short period of time.

I highly doubt we will ever see a player of Takis' class ever again at Tynecastle. A true gent. There are very few role models in the game nowadays but Takis was certainly one of them.

_41866828_takisfyssascupfinal203b.jpg

Say What Again

McKinlay for me.

After years of suffering watching Brian Whittaker (God rest you, Rodge), Tosh was different class. Like night and day.

Left back has generally been a position of strenght for us since I started following the team, Davie Holt, Arthur Mann, Peter Oliver, Dave Clunie, Tosh McKinlay, Neil Pointon, Gary Naysith, Takis Fyssas and Lee Wallace were all quality.

Before that we had Tam MacKenzie and George Thomson, both highly regarded. Takis and Gery Naysmith were my favourites though.

Big Tam McKenzie - the only left back in Scotland that could play Gordon Smith off the park.

I would have to say that Fyssas was the most classy left back that I've ever seeing gracing the maroon jersey. Brilliant, dependable and he obviously enjoyed playing for us.

In order from most fav...

Takis Fyssas

Gary Naysmith

Neil Pointon

Tosh McKinlay

Lee Wallace

Stephane Mahe

Brian Whittaker

Danny Grainger (if he's as consistant as he has been so far he could become a fav)

Peter Shields (or was it Pat Byrne?) get these two fullbacks mixed up.

Can't believe no one has mentioned my first favourite Peter Shields

Even more surprising that no one has mentioned Stuart Gauld. :whistling:

Pointon came over as a real "character" as well as being a good player

Takis was probably the best I've seen but a special mention must go to Naismith

Peter Oliver. Just because he was the first I remember and just looked a player.

Then Takis, Tosh, Naysmith in that order

Takis is his first season was the best but Lee Wallace in his pomp was my personal favourite.

Wallace was great when running full tilt at the opposition box, and I'll miss seeing that again.

Strangely, I was never a big fan of Tosh McKinley.

kenny black started off at left back and wasn't to bad and sandy burrell looked a good one until injury finished him early in his career but fyssas was pure class.

peter oliver was very good, strange he left us for lowly york city, thought he was better than that

tosh was excellent, naysmith good potential but we never got the best of him everton got that

whittaker wasn't as bad as some say, though his best goal against celtic was a pure fluke

goerge cowie wasn't to bad for an understudy at the time and neil pointon was a great signing for the dosh we spent.

never seen much of peter sheilds, he was no bad, davie clunie, roy kay, jim brown all had spells there without ever looking convincing

Takis is his first season was the best but Lee Wallace in his pomp was my personal favourite.

Wallace was great when running full tilt at the opposition box, and I'll miss seeing that again.

Strangely, I was never a big fan of Tosh McKinley.

the bit in bold , i always thought the same , until he burst henrik larssons' nose

George Thomson, Davie Holt, but for sheer class Takis gets it.

A special mention for big Tam Mckenzie, who , as someone mentioned, had the great Gordon Smith in his back pocket when they played.

Naysmith for me although like many other posters Takis will remain a firm favourite of mine.

With regards Naysmith it was good to see a youngster come through the ranks and then go onto have a very good career.

No mention of.....

Austin Mcaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn! Cue bedlam and great gesturing to the filth in the roseburn stand. Average full back but great goal.

Loved Kenny Black at LB for Hearts. Turned in some brilliant performances there

Tosh McKinlay was another favourite.

Best seen there - Takis by a mile and a half. Composure and class in spades

Wallace, Naysmith, Fyssas, McKinlay - we've had a few good ones over the years.

Whittaker was only good with a headband and playing at centre back. Pointon was decent.

I think Tosh was my favourite, but Fyssas was the best.

Champions league la la la la!

Archived