Gerry McNee

Floyd

Does anyone know what he is up to these days??

Last I recall was him writing for the NOTW but he chucked it long before it burned.

Was just wondering what his reaction would be to the current situation over at Castle Greyskull.

Guest Just Came To Say Kello

He runs a small Tobacconists just off Hamburg these days. It's a tragic tale of unfulfilled love, Wispa chocolate bars and a young German lad named Ludvig.

There must be a story behind his disappearance. He called out on both Celtic and Rangers, so it may well involve pressure from the uglies to get him binned. Would actually like to hear what he's got to say about Rangers these days.

Thought he was one of the few to call a spade a spade and always liked his column.

At a guess he's maybe of poor health these days.

There must be a story behind his disappearance. He called out on both Celtic and Rangers, so it may well involve pressure from the uglies to get him binned. Would actually like to hear what he's got to say about Rangers these days.

That was my thoughts on it. I disagrees with lots of things he said but he didn't hide when it came to the old firm.

When he was commentating on a game at Tynecastle once, few fans that sit quite near the gantry (not me of course) :whistling: were giving him pelters.

The following week in his column he went on a rant about the abuse he received from the Hearts morons.

Needless to say the next time he was in the tv gantry he was met with a chorus of "Gerry is a Moron"

The self important wind bag didn't see the funny side :(

Does anyone know what he is up to these days??

Last I recall was him writing for the NOTW but he chucked it long before it burned.

Was just wondering what his reaction would be to the current situation over at Castle Greyskull.

Thought I read somewhere recently that he has "health problems".

jack D and coke

He is in poor health if I recall correctly. Always felt he wasnt afraid to call the OF for whatever he thought unlike most of our so called journalists though.

Pish commentator but remember him going pretty nuts when Jose Quitongo scored in injury time against the tims in 98. Surprised me as I always felt Timothy was his team.

The Gazza story when he was at Easter road always makes me smile too. How funny was that!

Radioactive Mince

I didn't mind him, to be honest. Far bigger trumpets about thesedays.

Say what you like about him, but he had character, a trait often found missing in our pundits in the modern era. The fact Chick Young's went from a figure of ridicule to some kind of 'respected veteran' & guys like Richard Gordon even get a gig is testament to the change.

Is Gerry McNee not the Fat roaster who does a piece in the Daily Ranger and has a phone in show on Radio Scotland?? Chick Dungs cronnie dry.gif

If not, who the **** am I thinking about?? :unsure:

Is Gerry McNee not the Fat roaster who does a piece in the Daily Ranger and has a phone in show on Radio Scotland?? Chick Dungs cronnie dry.gif

If not, who the **** am I thinking about?? :unsure:

Thats Jim Traynor.

As for McNee, he wasnt great but he was certainly better than a lot of the dross we get now and that includes his ropey commentating. He was a rare breed who wasnt scared of putting the boot into the Old Firm as well so for he gets a :thumbsup: from me.

Thats Jim Traynor.

As for McNee, he wasnt great but he was certainly better than a lot of the dross we get now and that includes his ropey commentating. He was a rare breed who wasnt scared of putting the boot into the Old Firm as well so for he gets a :thumbsup: from me.

Cheers Chester :thumbsup:

Doesn't he have the accolade of having been banjoed by Billy McNeil (the then Celtic manager) and Graeme Souness (the then Rangers manager) on aeroplanes?

Gerry McNee - The voice of a fottball....

I always liked Gerry McNee and I'd go so far to suggest that he had a wee soft spot for HMFC.

I remember back in 85/86 when he used to do his Friday night predictions on the STV News, he would ALWAYS predict a Hearts defeat, even when we were on our long unbeaten run. Maybe that was to cover up his 'soft spot'?

He was a prick.

Regal Kingston

Used to make the most exciting games seem boring with his commentating style.

Terrible. Ok pundit though and ad other posters have said he wasn't afraid to give it to the old firm - You won't see Chic Young do that

No doubt he will be in bad health these days as he had a dodgy heart in the 90's.

Never looked a picture of health.

Chic Young should also be in the kind of obscurity that Gerry now finds himself in.

Chic Young is a odious little creep.

When he was commentating on a game at Tynecastle once, few fans that sit quite near the gantry (not me of course) :whistling: were giving him pelters.

The following week in his column he went on a rant about the abuse he received from the Hearts morons.

Needless to say the next time he was in the tv gantry he was met with a chorus of "Gerry is a Moron"

The self important wind bag didn't see the funny side :(

I did, I believe that I was one of the said morons!!

I remember back in 85/86 when he used to do his Friday night predictions on the STV News, he would ALWAYS predict a Hearts defeat, even when we were on our long unbeaten run. Maybe that was to cover up his 'soft spot'?

He was a prick.

Before we went to Vienna he predicted on his Friday night slot that Hearts would lose there.

We sent him a postcard from Vienna reminding him of his prediction and tbf he read it out on the following show. :thumbsup:

I am sure it's GM doing the commentary when Robbo scores in the 90th minute against Hibs at ER to make it 2-2. Brillant commentary of the goal.

Before we went to Vienna he predicted on his Friday night slot that Hearts would lose there.

We sent him a postcard from Vienna reminding him of his prediction and tbf he read it out on the following show. :thumbsup:

I am sure it's GM doing the commentary when Robbo scores in the 90th minute against Hibs at ER to make it 2-2. Brillant commentary of the goal.

The commentary is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_m1KGICG1Q

He liked Robbo,check out the you tube clips when he was commentating when Robbo scores.

He sure did, I remember one commentary where he referred to him as a "smashing player".

He held onto the Creaney bit, just a bit too long didn't he?

Yup - its was the middle part of the name he REALLY went to town on.

Also remember him taking it tight from Liam Brady on the eqarly 90's program "Sport In Question" - Brady was saying how he is anti Celtic and always having a pop at the club. McNee started bubbling (I think) and pulled out a European Cup medal a Celtic player had given him.

Doesn't he have the accolade of having been banjoed by Billy McNeil (the then Celtic manager) and Graeme Souness (the then Rangers manager) on aeroplanes?

Gerry McNee - The voice of a fottball....

He does indeed Boris. Was thinking the same while reading the thread.

Although I also recall efforts to sanitise the detail of each incident, by the press cohorts of the gruesome two-some.

jambos are go!

Never mind Pat Nevin the first commentator to highlight sectarian singing at Celtic Park was Gerry Mcnee. Billy McNeill thumped him for criticising Jock Stein 's tactics in the European Cup Final against Feyernood in a book IIRC. A few other players including Tommy Gemmell have since agreed with McNee saying Stein underestimated the quality the Dutch team

had notably Van Hanegan.

Winston Ingram

some amount of nonsense on this thread. Living happily and healthily on the south side of glasgow, enjoying retirement. Did have a heart bypass a few years ago IIRC but seems fine now.

He was a prick.

But then he also backed our title challenge in 1991/92, tipped us to be league champions for 98/99 and claimed on Scotsport in early 2005/06 that he was a "Hearts fan" for that season.

I did, I believe that I was one of the said morons!!

I suppose even a journalist has to get it right once in a while :D

Carl Fredrickson

Was it GM that had "an envelope in my desk drawer" with some scandal or name of a next manager? Did we ever find out what was in said envelope?

Wasnt his greatest fan but as has been said, he wasnt scared to have a go at rantic - which very few do in this day and age.

I remember in his articles during World cup 98 about 4 guys spotting him and giving him grief while having a drink in Paris, only for their mate to come outside telling them to be quiet and go over and buy him a drink and have a wee blether with him. Saying the young guy was a gentleman and would undoubtedly get full Scotland honours one day. If it wasn't for severe injuries I think he would have been correct. The guy, Gary Locke.

some amount of nonsense on this thread. Living happily and healthily on the south side of glasgow, enjoying retirement. Did have a heart bypass a few years ago IIRC but seems fine now.

Oh well,that's a pity.

Was it GM that had "an envelope in my desk drawer" with some scandal or name of a next manager? Did we ever find out what was in said envelope?

Wasnt his greatest fan but as has been said, he wasnt scared to have a go at rantic - which very few do in this day and age.

The envelope boy was Alex Cameron

Archived