Edinburgh Evening Vermins Take on the O'Connor Scandal

andrew

Court proceedings against O'Conner are live, most papers are not taking the chance of inviting a contempt of court by risking prejudicing the case.

The red tops rarely adhere to this these days because they have huge legal teams, which is a complete disgrace tbh.

Just out of interest, what's the difference between the EEN and your average red top? They've been posting shite, ill-informed articles for years.

Court proceedings against O'Conner are live, most papers are not taking the chance of inviting a contempt of court by risking prejudicing the case.

The red tops rarely adhere to this these days because they have huge legal teams, which is a complete disgrace tbh.

I completely agree with you.

The judicial system seem to decide whether to take action based on how easy/hard it may be to win a contempt case, rather on whether or not there actually was contempt. A very dangerous road to be going down. :sad:

If it's a jury case there's a chance some members of the public selected for the jury will have no interest in football. Therefore printing his picture could lead to (even more) risk of prejudicing the trial through identification.

I don't know if a legal precedent was set that identification couldn't be an issue due to cast public exposure or something like that, but I doubt it. More likely too expensive to pursue.

I suppose it would depend on what the article was about.

If it was in relation to last nights programme and didn't mention GO'C's forthcoming trial then I don't see how that could be construed as contempt.

After all, his photo will no doubt be in the sports pages?

I suppose what I mean is what would be the context of the article.

Anything relating to the use of illegal substances could be construed as contempt, whether the trial is mentioned or not.

Sports pages is totally different - that's a total change of context.

Surprised they were allowed to air the programme last night then! Crown Office up to speed (pardon the pun) again!!!

Libertonian_II

The EEN's reporting of GoC's possesion charge amounted to a small insignificant paragraph at the bottom of a page, whereas Black's charge, I'm sure, was far more prominent.

Evening hobo right enough

If it's a jury case there's a chance some members of the public selected for the jury will have no interest in football. Therefore printing his picture could lead to (even more) risk of prejudicing the trial through identification.

If they're worried about that surely publishing his name does the same?

Archived