John Sutton

siegementality

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

He was sacked for a run of poor results.

He is nowhere near as good as 'the special one' or even 'the special one's assistant'!

IMO... he is a foreign coach of questionable pedigree who is going to try and change our style of play... if he succeeds and Hearts top the table come the end of the season he'll be a managerial marvel and we'll lose him for next season. If, as I rather think is the case he doesn't and the team struggle with the implemented training methods and way he wants us to play, we're in for a stop start season.

Sorry I'm not jumping on your PS bandwagon and having a pop at your new bestie... but I'm not convinced by PS one bit.

I know a couple of the younger players who are breaking through and know through the horses mouth that the players are really enjoying the training as its now more focussed on ballwork so stop bumping your gums.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a couple of the younger players who are breaking through and know through the horses mouth that the players are really enjoying the training as its now more focussed on ballwork so stop bumping your gums.

So it should be - professional players should be able to keep very fit by themselves without a coach to help them unless they are nursing/coming back from injury.

siegementality

So it should be - professional players should be able to keep very fit by themselves without a coach to help them unless they are nursing/coming back from injury.

I've never understood why 'ball work' doesn't make up 75% of players training anyway. Fitness is one thing, a lack of ability with a ball is another entirely! Something tells me the top teams don't spend all day doing shuttle runs.

Coburg Hearts

Don't know how much is ITK and how much, if any, has been taken from here, but I do know this journalist never misses a chance to have a go at Hearts. Interesting article, nonetheless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2035334/John-Sutton-shunned-Paulo-Sergio-Hearts--just-games-season.html

Don't know how much is ITK and how much, if any, has been taken from here, but I do know this journalist never misses a chance to have a go at Hearts. Interesting article, nonetheless.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2035334/John-Sutton-shunned-Paulo-Sergio-Hearts--just-games-season.html

An interesting article indeed. My understanding is that Paulo hasn't entirely given up on Sutton, but he is concerned about his lack of mobility. The coaching staff are working on this but I am doubtful if his mobility can be improved much. After all, if you can't run, you can't run! Funnily enough, just after Sutton signed I was speaking to a Motherwell fan who's opinion of Sutton was less than glowing. He said he was slow, unwilling to go looking for the ball and had to have it played to his feet, and that last season was a fluke. Thinking back to his 2 goals against Aberdeen, that's exactly what happened. In saying all that I would love to see him turn into our 20 goal a season striker. I just can't see it, though.

An interesting article indeed. My understanding is that Paulo hasn't entirely given up on Sutton, but he is concerned about his lack of mobility. The coaching staff are working on this but I am doubtful if his mobility can be improved much. After all, if you can't run, you can't run! Funnily enough, just after Sutton signed I was speaking to a Motherwell fan who's opinion of Sutton was less than glowing. He said he was slow, unwilling to go looking for the ball and had to have it played to his feet, and that last season was a fluke. Thinking back to his 2 goals against Aberdeen, that's exactly what happened. In saying all that I would love to see him turn into our 20 goal a season striker. I just can't see it, though.

Interesting, sounds a Kris Boyd style of player. (I.e. good in a team where he can stand around and get lots of service.)

From what I hear of Sutton is working on his degree so to me that must mean he has something between the ears. He also has family support in a brother that has played at the top level. So with all this I don't understand his attitude. Seem that he should intelligent enough to listen to what he told, he wont get far in his degree otherwise. And Im sure his brother will tell him to step up if he moans about being made to run in a football game.

I would still point out that Sutton has only missed one game, and this could all be a storm in a tea cup that has been brewing due to the international break.

Getting dropped might of been the wake up call he needed and he could of been working hard over the break and start on Saturday!

siegementality

Tin hat on but if PS has given up on Sutton then that concerns me. Sutton is a Hearts player, admittedly not one of PS's choosing, however his job is to manage players to get the best from them. Giving up on a player, especially after such a short period of time, is not good management in my book. Sutton might not be Sergios type of player but he has shown he is good enough to score goals in the SPL . That itself should make Sutton someone PS shouldn't give up on.

If PS wants to play pass and move football and a player finds it difficult to move then he will find it difficult to get a game.

PS asks what sets the tempo of the game? and answers that it is not running with the ball.

This is completely opposite from what JJ asked of Templeton.

Gregory House M.D.

Tin hat on but if PS has given up on Sutton then that concerns me. Sutton is a Hearts player, admittedly not one of PS's choosing, however his job is to manage players to get the best from them. Giving up on a player, especially after such a short period of time, is not good management in my book. Sutton might not be Sergios type of player but he has shown he is good enough to score goals in the SPL . That itself should make Sutton someone PS shouldn't give up on.

Sutton's terrible in all honesty. We've done fine without him and he's the most boring player I've ever seen. I'd rather see Smith/Ogleby/D.Smith etc. Given a few games this season ahead of massive lumps who just want the ball laid on a plate to score.

He's 6ft3 but shite in the air. He's built like a bus but has all the strength of Ronnie Corbett. He can't hold it up or create his own chances. The only thing he excells at is tapping it in from 5 yards or scoring 1 on 1's.

He's been a massive disappointment.

It's all well Sergio wanting to play the passing game but it still needs an end product.

Sutton will score goals with good service from the wider areas.

Look at Stevos goal against the Hibs, good move up the right, Hamill gets to the byeline and picks out a maroon jersey for Stevo to slide home.

Fitba really isnae rocket science.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Cue a Sutton hat-trick in Inverness and nowhere near the amount of people coming back on to say: 'aye okay, I was wrong'. :D

I honestly think he will be fine though, probably still end up our top-scorer too.

Gregory House M.D.

Cue a Sutton hat-trick in Inverness and nowhere near the amount of people coming back on to say: 'aye okay, I was wrong'. :D

I honestly think he will be fine though, probably still end up our top-scorer too.

I'll quite happily write an apology and take all the pelters that comes with.

Sadly I don't think I'll have to.

When it comes to insight, knowledge and actuality, I know that the Daily Mail is always my first port of call.

its basically took over a week for them to re-hash the scoop from that plum cameron

I read todays Mail and if it's true I'm not happy with the manager. Jock Stein said he needed at least five games looking at a player before making his mind up.

The manager has not given Sutton enough time. Including last season I have seen Sutton more than five times and I think he is a good player. If he did not rate Sutton

why did he not buy someone in the transfer window? If Kyle and Sutton were our front two I would pay to watch them !! I think most teams would fear them Kyle to batter them and score and Sutton to score the scraps.

I agree that I would have LOVED to see Kyle and Sutton playing together, but when was that realistically going to happen?

It's probably never going to happen now.

Hopefully, though, this means that Segio is planning to bring in a prolific striker from Portugal :teehee:

Gregory House M.D.

I'm beginning to think folk actually want PS to fail. How is it Paulo's fault that Suttons a pish footballer?

I agree that I would have LOVED to see Kyle and Sutton playing together, but when was that realistically going to happen?

It's probably never going to happen now.

Hopefully, though, this means that Segio is planning to bring in a prolific striker from Portugal :teehee:

Not trying to be funny or that, but Kyle and Sutton playing together would be a horrendous partnership.

As for the Daily Mail, well it's hardly renowned for being a font of truth.

Gregory House M.D.

I read todays Mail and if it's true I'm not happy with the manager. Jock Stein said he needed at least five games looking at a player before making his mind up.

The manager has not given Sutton enough time. Including last season I have seen Sutton more than five times and I think he is a good player. If he did not rate Sutton

why did he not buy someone in the transfer window? If Kyle and Sutton were our front two I would pay to watch them !! I think most teams would fear them Kyle to batter them and score and Sutton to score the scraps.

He obviously rates Elliott, Stevenson and Smith.

I'd slit my wrists at the utter borefest of watching two massive lumps, one of which scored TWO open play goals last season, get balls hoofed at them only for Sutton to get beat or the referee to give an inevitable foul for feck all against KK. I really couldn't think of a worse scenario TBH.

We_are_the_Hearts

If PS wants to play pass and move football and a player finds it difficult to move then he will find it difficult to get a game.

PS asks what sets the tempo of the game? and answers that it is not running with the ball.

This is completely opposite from what JJ asked of Templeton.

The ball moves faster than any player.....

The guy is a Hearts player and has only been here a few months. FFS give him a chance, loads of players have had slow starts at new clubs. :angry: Lets see how he responds to PS thoughts on how he wants us to play before hammering the guy.

Sure he has been disappointing so far but he looked a good player against our defence last season and scored a lot of goals for a smaller team in the same league as us. <_<

Maybe his confidence has taken a dip but the only way to lift the guy is to get behind him when hes got a Hearts jersey on. He certainly looked genuinely chuffed to bits when he scored his 2 goals against the sheep and comes across as a guy who wants to do well for us if you watch his first interview after joining the club.

And no im not John Sutton. B)

Sutton plays his best football in a team where midfield, wide players all pass and move and link up with strikers like Motherwell did. I thought a passing game was what this plum wanted from his team? I'd say Sutton's style of football is more geared up for a Sergio-style team instead of a daft target man like Jefferies had him play, he's no Kyle and is far more suited to playing ball-to-feet football than hoofball.

Gregory House M.D.

Sutton plays his best football in a team where midfield, wide players all pass and move and link up with strikers like Motherwell did. I thought a passing game was what this plum wanted from his team? I'd say Sutton's style of football is more geared up for a Sergio-style team instead of a daft target man like Jefferies had him play, he's no Kyle and is far more suited to playing ball-to-feet football than hoofball.

Plum? :Vlad-Stupid:

We have NO brilliant strikers!

Our best striker at the moment is a bloody midfield player!

Kyle = OUT

Elliott = P*SH

Sutton = HASN'T AT ALL PROVED HIMSELF... YET, ANYWAY

Glen = NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Clum = LET'S NOT GO THERE!

Smith = GOOD, BUT NOT EXPERIENCED

We are forced to play folk out of position just now and it's frustrating not to have that 20+ goal striker that we haven't had in years!!

lets all believe, unequivocally, what a 3rd rate hack paper has said because

1. you want to believe theres trouble and

2 your all a bunch of welts.

Its Friday!!! :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, did you just call Paulo Sergio a plum?

You're not just having a holocaust now, you're having a mass extinction event.

Gregory House M.D.

Kyle = OUT

Elliott = P*SH

Glen = NOT GOOD ENOUGH

We are forced to play folk out of position just now and it's frustrating not to have that 20+ goal striker that we haven't had in years!!

Who was the last one? Robertson? It's about time folk stopped asking for this because we'll be lucky to see another.

Kyle = OUT

Elliott = P*SH

Glen = NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Christ, Elliott isn't pish. And barring a game against Tottenham, and I am taking nothing away from him with this btw, how can you possibly class Smith as good on this wondrous scale of brilliance?

Seems unlikely that PS has written off Sutton when there are still four months until the transfer window reopens. You'd think he would have done something about it last week?

JS has looked disappointing so far, but I don't doubt if the manager gets us playing the way he says he wants to, then Sutton will be able to get himself on the end of those chances and finish them off. It's the type of player he is.

We_are_the_Hearts

For this to be a big success you need a striker with pace and movement to move the opposition defence about. Sutton had limited success at a lowish level.

Kyle = OUT

Elliott = P*SH

Glen = NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Stephen Elliot is pish.

Paulo Sergio is a plum.

Is there some sort of special education school trip to PC world on the day or something?

Gregory House M.D.

Christ, Elliott isn't pish. And barring a game against Tottenham, and I am taking nothing away from him with this btw, how can you possibly class Smith as good on this wondrous scale of brilliance?

TBF, He has played well in nearly all of his games. I wouldn't agree that Gary Glen isn't good enough either. The only time he got a run of games, he scored in nearly every one.

Walter Bishop

He obviously rates Elliott, Stevenson and Smith.

I'd slit my wrists at the utter borefest of watching two massive lumps, one of which scored TWO open play goals last season, get balls hoofed at them only for Sutton to get beat or the referee to give an inevitable foul for feck all against KK. I really couldn't think of a worse scenario TBH.

:vrface: :stare:

Gregory House M.D.

Stephen Elliot is pish.

Paulo Sergio is a plum.

Is there some sort of special education school trip to PC world on the day or something?

Exactly. Are we actually talking about 8 goals played out of position Striker, Stephen Elliott?

TBF, He has played well in nearly all of his games. I wouldn't agree that Gary Glen isn't good enough either. The only time he got a run of games, he scored in nearly every one.

I'm not knocking the boy, he's a good prospect and I'd be glad to see him get more game time. I'm just pointing out the ridiculous rating that was given Elliott by comparing it to Smith who, IMO, still hasn't played enough games to be judged properly.

I actually agree with the Glen rating, he's clearly got some sort of attitude problem that's holding him back and any game that i've seen him play he's been nowhere near good enough. Clum is better than him.

For this to be a big success you need a striker with pace and movement to move the opposition defence about. Sutton had limited success at a lowish level.

Generally i'd agree with that but Motherwell played some nice football last season and appear to be doing pretty well again so far this season. An intelligent player knows how to make a move properly without huffing and puffing all over the place. Sutton needs decent passing midfielders behind him and pace on the wings like he had at Motherwell, our main midfield consists of Mrowiec, Black or Jonsson, none of whom attack from midfield often enough and the wide players like Templeton (greedy), Driver(still making his way back into the team and going to be an important player this season) and Suso who if not out injured, wants away back to Spain (still think he's got something to offer this season mind)

Sergio wants a passing team? He'd do well to sit down and watch some 'well games from last season, he might learn how Sutton actually plays the game.

Gregory House M.D.

I'm not knocking the boy, he's a good prospect and I'd be glad to see him get more game time. I'm just pointing out the ridiculous rating that was given Elliott by comparing it to Smith who, IMO, still hasn't played enough games to be judged properly.

I actually agree with the Glen rating, he's clearly got some sort of attitude problem that's holding him back and any game that i've seen him play he's been nowhere near good enough. Clum is better than him.

Yeah, was quite a ridiculous rating of a striker who was 3rd or 4th highest scorer playing the majority of games at RW.

Perhaps PS did want to bring in other players including a striker but Vlad said no. Do you know how Sutton trains and his attitude to training and adapting his style of play to suit? Probably not and PS does see him in training every day so I trust his judgement. Lets not forget Sutton was gash at a few clubs before he turned up at Fir Park so a superstar he aint.

Walter Bishop

Emm, it's true. :unsure:

Is it?

Kyle scored from open play v Hibs, Aberdeen,Elgin and Falkirk.

Hearts

Kyle joined Hearts on a free transfer on 3 June 2010 on a two year deal that reunited him with Jim Jefferies, now manager of Hearts.[10]

He took over penalty duties at the club and has since scored 6 goals from the spot since his move to Tynecastle, plus another 4 from open play to give him a total of 10 thus far. However, his most notable goal came on 1 January 2011 when he scored a late winner in the Edinburgh derby against Hibernian.[11] The remainder of his 2010?11 season was blighted by injury, as Kyle made his last appearance of the season on 11 January.[12][13]

Perhaps his problem was that he wasn't prepared to lick Jefferies rear end like some in the squad who were selected every week no matter how they played. Perhaps PS can get the best out of him as he has the mobility to fit his style of play

Is it?

Hearts

Kyle joined Hearts on a free transfer on 3 June 2010 on a two year deal that reunited him with Jim Jefferies, now manager of Hearts.[10]

He took over penalty duties at the club and has since scored 6 goals from the spot since his move to Tynecastle, plus another 4 from open play to give him a total of 10 thus far. However, his most notable goal came on 1 January 2011 when he scored a late winner in the Edinburgh derby against Hibernian.[11] The remainder of his 2010?11 season was blighted by injury, as Kyle made his last appearance of the season on 11 January.[12][13]

Of which, 2 were in the league. :rolleyes:

We_are_the_Hearts

Generally i'd agree with that but Motherwell played some nice football last season and appear to be doing pretty well again so far this season. An intelligent player knows how to make a move properly without huffing and puffing all over the place. Sutton needs decent passing midfielders behind him and pace on the wings like he had at Motherwell, our main midfield consists of Mrowiec, Black or Jonsson, none of whom attack from midfield often enough and the wide players like Templeton (greedy), Driver(still making his way back into the team and going to be an important player this season) and Suso who if not out injured, wants away back to Spain (still think he's got something to offer this season mind)

Sergio wants a passing team? He'd do well to sit down and watch some 'well games from last season, he might learn how Sutton actually plays the game.

I don't think we are good enough to play with a player like Sutton at the moment. We need good movemnet from all our forward thinking players. He obviously is looking for 2 central midfielders, a floater in front of them and 2 wide men supporting a striker. If the striker has good movement then it creates space for the other forward thinking players. Makes us harder to defend against.

Gregory House M.D.

Is it?

Hearts

Elgin was a penalty. I'm talking about league goals.

HTH :thumbsup:

Gregory House M.D.

I don't think we are good enough to play with a player like Sutton at the moment. We need good movemnet from all our forward thinking players. He obviously is looking for 2 central midfielders, a floater in front of them and 2 wide men supporting a striker. If the striker has good movement then it creates space for the other forward thinking players. Makes us harder to defend against.

Or we could bung the lump and use a striker that suits. :thumbsup:

Elgin was a penalty. I'm talking about league goals.

HTH :thumbsup:

Was it? I was at that Elgin game, sure he scored a header from a cross? Maybe he scored two? Actually can't remember what the score was for sure....4-0?

Tynecastle Valhalla

Kyle = OUT

Elliott = P*SH

Glen = NOT GOOD ENOUGH

elliott is not pish

he has really good movement and knows how to play. i think he will be our top scorer this season

sergio rates him which is good enough for me

Gregory House M.D.

Was it? I was at that Elgin game, sure he scored a header from a cross? Maybe he scored two? Actually can't remember what the score was for sure....4-0?

Yeah 4-0. The keeper was having a blinder and keeping everything out. I'm sure Kyles first goal was a penalty.

Archived