Summer Football

The Comedian

SFA president Campbell Ogilvie is starting to see the benefit of summer football as per the BBC article.

I'm all for it however 40 years from now we'll still be humming an hawing about doing it.

Also the proposed merger between the SPL and SFA is still to happen. Could that be anything to do with the blazers hanging onto the gravy train for dear life?

Ricardo Quaresma

SFA president Campbell Ogilvie is starting to see the benefit of summer football as per the BBC article.

Think it's inevitable and we should jump in with both feet; players from sunnier climes (some) are put off when it gets cold, as are some fans; bad euro performance could surely only improve too

------------------------

Also the proposed merger between the SPL and SFA is still to happen. Could that be anything to do with the blazers hanging onto the gravy train for dear life?

Some of them will have to go

Francis Albert

What summer??

Indeed. And even if June and July were reliably "summer-like" 80% of the season would be played in the same months it is now.

summer football doesn't really make sense, we'd still be playing feb - nov.

Summer football for youth is a completely different thing and something that definitely should be looked at

I disagree, summer football is not the answer. This will not bring back the crowds and every two years will see huge interruptions because of World Cups and Euro Championships. This is just pap to avoid the deeper reasons for failure. The most important is the failure to distribute cash equally to all clubs.

john brownlee

I disagree, summer football is not the answer. This will not bring back the crowds and every two years will see huge interruptions because of World Cups and Euro Championships. This is just pap to avoid the deeper reasons for failure. The most important is the failure to distribute cash equally to all clubs.

I agree

some of you won't know or remember the summer cup ------ complete failure

Not seen the detail but summer football is neither here nor there for me.

I would how ever support winter break that allow the season to finish after the EPL as the season finale might generate some interest down south. (TV money etc.)

Still no talk on league reconstruction I see. Seems like the SPL don't want to lose the 4 old firm games. whistling.gif

The Treasurer

summer football doesn't really make sense, we'd still be playing feb - nov.

Summer football for youth is a completely different thing and something that definitely should be looked at

Agree with both points here.

My 8 year old nephew started playing football for a boys club last year and was really enjoying it until he was forced to play in freezing wet conditions on a mud heap pitch.

He soon got fed up and stopped playing and when asked if he wanted to start playing again this season he wasn't interested.

kingantti1874

It absolutely makes sense for a number of different reasons the biggest on being a step away from the epl which is killing scottish football

Sterling Archer

It absolutely makes sense for a number of different reasons the biggest on being a step away from the epl which is killing scottish football

good point.

Good point. :thumbsup:

I've never been a fan of summer football mainly due to the fact winter would be even worse without footbal to look forward to.

We might even get a better tv deal too.

kingantti1874

good point.

I did a threadvon this a while back But like rugby league an Irish football attendances will increase no doubt, as the only dhow in town more people would watch on tv and sky would possibly pay more, pitches are better, teams would be better prepared for European competition... I could go on and on. The euro and world cup points are not really valid , we could just start a week earlier and finish later and add a couple of midweek fixtures like he Irish and scandanavian countries.

The points against are some people may miss a game because of holidays but plenty of people go on holiday out with June and July so again not really valid.

Scottish football needs totals drastic steps if we want to maintain a reasonable level.

Some of the old boys will be along to say December and jan will be boring - nice time to stay in and watch the epl and la liga imo

fabienleclerq

I did a threadvon this a while back But like rugby league an Irish football attendances will increase no doubt, as the only dhow in town more people would watch on tv and sky would possibly pay more, pitches are better, teams would be better prepared for European competition... I could go on and on. The euro and world cup points are not really valid , we could just start a week earlier and finish later and add a couple of midweek fixtures like he Irish and scandanavian countries.

The points against are some people may miss a game because of holidays but plenty of people go on holiday out with June and July so again not really valid.

Scottish football needs totals drastic steps if we want to maintain a reasonable level.

Some of the old boys will be along to say December and jan will be boring - nice time to stay in and watch the epl and la liga imo

I agree with it and you cant argue with how much the league of ireland has improved since they done it.

I also think the SFA/scottish government and councils could do with a boot up the jacksy to improve pitches as they are shocking in Edinburgh.How can we expect kids to learn to play passing football on tattie fields!!Outside calais there are like 12 pristine pitches side by side,in Bordeaux i seen similar we have eh..pilrig park!?!

I would be all for it, for a few months a year the SPL would be the only footie on tv, would raise the profile of our game and (i would think) would mean the clubs able to negotiate a better tv deal.

Radioactive Mince

When you put it like that...

I've always agreed regarding the 'only show in town' argument and on the European preparation.

My reservations come when it snows for two weeks in late March/early April and then again in early November. Just how would it work for a sustained number of years?

I do think that crowds would improve in the medium term. Let's face it, there's nothing worse than being so cold your whole body's numb. Soaked but warm in June, I can handle.

Agree with both points here.

My 8 year old nephew started playing football for a boys club last year and was really enjoying it until he was forced to play in freezing wet conditions on a mud heap pitch.

He soon got fed up and stopped playing and when asked if he wanted to start playing again this season he wasn't interested.

Summer football is a must. I'm getting old and there are various other reasons I no longer make every game but cold is definitely a factor in yours truly staying away from all seated stadia. It were different when I were a lad in The Shed!

I didn't attend any games between beating Celtic (Nov) and beating Dundee Utd (Feb) and can see myself hibernating again this winter. If summer football was introduced then I'd be back as a season ticket holder and I've no doubt, a regular away traveller.

Screw the Flat Earthers, get it done. Looking forward to the day when the Mrs buys me my season ticket for Christmas for a late Feb - late Nov football season. With no Scottish football in December, we'll all be able to AFFORD Christmas and enjoy the festivities watching the massive games from England that are on around the holiday period. Oh aye, and nobody would be able to complain about having to go watch Hearts on Christmas Eve!

Sadly the SPL product is on the same shelf as the EPL product, which is much better option. The fact that we share the same language and TV station's (SKY ESPN) does not help. ( i.e in Belgium the football is Flemish and on Belgium TV, and people cant just flick on the Bundesliga etc.) Therefore we need a product that works with the EPL product not competes against it.

And

1 governing body is what's needed for starters merge the SFA, SPL and SFL.

For sure... needs to happen ASAP

Not playing during deepest darkest winter can only improve our game IMO.

How many more people would be likely to take a wee jolly up to Aberdeen or Inverness on June 28th than would on December 28th?

I'm all for it.

Jambof3tornado

Wonder what savings could be made by merging the 3 governing bodies. Money that could be pumped back into the grass roots of the game up here. Did Henry McLeish suggest this?

Screw the Flat Earthers, get it done. Looking forward to the day when the Mrs buys me my season ticket for Christmas for a late Feb - late Nov football season. With no Scottish football in December, we'll all be able to AFFORD Christmas and enjoy the festivities watching the massive games from England that are on around the holiday period. Oh aye, and nobody would be able to complain about having to go watch Hearts on Christmas Eve!

Exactly. Christmas would mean not worrying about finding the cash for football would also probably mean all the new strips and maybe even season tickets being snapped up for stockings.

When you put it like that...

I've always agreed regarding the 'only show in town' argument and on the European preparation.

My reservations come when it snows for two weeks in late March/early April and then again in early November. Just how would it work for a sustained number of years?

I do think that crowds would improve in the medium term. Let's face it, there's nothing worse than being so cold your whole body's numb. Soaked but warm in June, I can handle.

There's no denying that could happen and games could still fall victim to our unpredictable climate. However, say Rangers v Hearts on 3rd March 20?? was called off then there would be numerous midweeks that game could be replayed due to the lack of clashes with amongst other things, Scottish participation in Europe at that time of year. I suppose that's possible albeit unlikely but there would be plenty of other midweeks with no internationals, no League Cup and no Europe. The biggest problem would be I guess would be the snow coming on St Andrew's Day weekend as it did last year.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

If Scottish football doesn't change very quickly there will be nothing worthwhile watching at any time of the year pretty soon.

Wonder what savings could be made by merging the 3 governing bodies. Money that could be pumped back into the grass roots of the game up here. Did Henry McLeish suggest this?

Yes he did and it was agreed on. The hogs are still in their individual troughs though. It won't happen.

If Scottish football doesn't change very quickly there will be nothing worthwhile watching at any time of the year pretty soon.

This.It does not matter when you play,if the product is crap and does not improve no one will watch.We started this season in July and attendances were shocking.Plus there was a game postponed as well due to the weather.Add on to the fact this site would be unbearable due to the amount of where can i find a bar that shows a game in Timbuktu type posts. :lol:

Summer football (lol... Whit summer?) (football in the milder months then) is one of the few things capable of saving scottish football. Not doing it would be utterly mental.

But... But... The old firm will never allow it, so that's it booted in the baws then. The old firm have other things to concern themselves over. Like legging it as far away from scottish football as possible. If they had a choice to join some league that featured summer football they would rather do that instead.

After they leave for summer football pastures new we may be allowed summer football.

I broadly agree with the move to summer football. I hadn't thought about the point about not competing with the EPL and the possible commercial benefits.

It would also help the travelling fans. Sending them all over the country at the worst possible time of the year seems to have total disregard for their safety.

I think it should be at least tested for a few seasons minimum. The chances of it happening though, that's another thing.

Archived