Jelavic...

Martin_T

Feel this deserves a seperate thread from the one debating Celtic/ Peter Lawell's reaction to it. Rangers are claiming that Leicester City bid ?6.5 million for Nikica Jelavic on Tuesday, they even published a statement on their website claiming they rejected a bid. Yet Leicester's primary target was Everton's Jermaine Beckford, this had been rumoured for some time and of course they secured the player on transfer deadline day for ?2.5 million less than was allegedly bid for Jelavic. So were Leicester City really prepared to bid over 50% more for a player with no proven track record in English football and who has had only half a season in Scottish football due to injury? Seems far fetched at best.

Then of course there is this ludicrous ?9million bid from an unknown club, from an unknown location, at an unknown time. ?9million on the table for any player at Rangers and you wouldn't seem them for dust. In my opinion these 'bids' are fabrications from a club staring into the financial abyss, desperate for money and trying to drum up interest in a key player on transfer deadline day.

Doctor FinnBarr

Feel this deserves a seperate thread from the one debating Celtic/ Peter Lawell's reaction to it. Rangers are claiming that Leicester City bid ?6.5 million for Nikica Jelavic on Tuesday, they even published a statement on their website claiming they rejected a bid. Yet Leicester's primary target was Everton's Jermaine Beckford, this had been rumoured for some time and of course they secured the player on transfer deadline day for ?2.5 million less than was allegedly bid for Jelavic. So were Leicester City really prepared to bid over 50% more for a player with no proven track record in English football and who has had only half a season in Scottish football due to injury? Seems far fetched at best.

Then of course there is this ludicrous ?9million bid from an unknown club, from an unknown location, at an unknown time. ?9million on the table for any player at Rangers and you wouldn't seem them for dust. In my opinion these 'bids' are fabrications from a club staring into the financial abyss, desperate for money and trying to drum up interest in a key player on transfer deadline day.

All the huns at work fell for it so it must be true!

:whistling:

I agree.

Nothing but smoke and mirrors at Hunbrox. Their bid for Goodwillie when he was having his Blackburn medical is another example. They knew it would be rejected but can conveniently say they offered more.

I'm convinced that Whyte is a nobody doesn't have the personal wealth to do the business. Their penny pinching screams skint to me.

concocting 'mystery' bids is a long established tactic through there. allows an insecure and under fire board to look a lot stronger than they actually are. see Wag the Dog for similar acts of deception.

Fozzyonthefence

But why fabricate the ?9m bid so close to transfer deadline when it was too late for any other clubs to get interested and do anything about it? These 10.59 transfers - I doubt negotiations just start at 10.00pm that day!

But why fabricate the ?9m bid so close to transfer deadline when it was too late for any other clubs to get interested and do anything about it? These 10.59 transfers - I doubt negotiations just start at 10.00pm that day!

They had no real intention to sell, this was purely a face saving ploy from Whyte

I'd guess at the 9 million bid coming from Russia. Silly money floating about over there.

May be wrong, but I think the Russian transfer window closed prior to yesterday.

[quote name='The Comedian' timestamp='1314910619' post='2424752'

I'm convinced that Whyte is a nobody doesn't have the personal wealth to do the business. Their penny pinching screams skint to me.

This has been doing the rounds since well before the takeover went ahead, he doesn't have the cash to spend and gambled on making the champions league to fund Sally's signings, when this went tits up, they then banked on the Europa league, which again went tits up and has left a big black hole in the finances.

This combined with the HMRC bill is just the tip of the iceberg over Govan way.

There is also the rumour that Sally isn't wanted by Whyte either and that he wants his own man, Billy 'Swinger' Davies is the likely victim from what I hear.

A lot of bears are getting restless and the selling of Jelavic would have been the straw that broke the camels back, FWIW I reckon the first bid was genuine but the second is as fake as Colin Calderwood's commitment to Hibs.

If the bids were made up do you not think the likes of leicester would of came out and denied the claims?

Scotzine is reporting that Gordon Smith was the source of the comment that a ?9M bit was received.

Not proven!!!

total made up phantom bid, White is skint they are skint question of sport joker as a manager not looking good is it at rankgers

Scotzine is reporting that Gordon Smith was the source of the comment that a ?9M bit was received.

It was actually Jelavic's agent that gave a story of a ?9m bid to the press. The reason for this is not known but it had nothing to do with Rangers. Gordon Smith has nothing to do with transfers at Ibrox so he'd be in no position to comment about possible in and outs at that club. The story about the bid being faked came from a certain Mark Guidi who is a well known puppet of Celtic FC .

As for the ?6.5m bid it has been reported in papers down south that Sven was unhappy with the Huns for reporting the ?6.5m bid in the first place.

As somebody has already mentioned Rangers were no position to turn down a ?9m bid for anyone and they would gain nothing for any fabrication of a bid 2hrs before the transfer window closed.

Coburg Hearts

I think the unknown bidder may be Eastern European and a dab hand with a fax machine and made at 11:59:59 PM on 31/8/11 :whistling:

Off topic, but you need to update your signature. :)

Hagar the Horrible

I think (note only think) that this is what happened

Leicester made an enquiry

Rangers report on a ?6.5 million offer (thus putting up a large 'for sale' sign in the hope that this allerts others to up the anti)

Leicester confused why this was made public

Rangers expect an improved offer.

NO offer at all is forthcoming

Rangers report to a mystery ?9m offer from an unamed club that they have turned down.

outcome:

1. if this was real then jellyfish would have bitten anybodies hand off for the massive payout.

2. Rangers show the mhedia (and gullible fans) that they are not in fiancial trouble because they fought off a massive (fictional) bid for their star player.

3. They off-load 3 players and bring nobody else in.

4. They are stuck with their star player who would have paid off the small tax bill.

5. Whyte took a massive gamble that if sucessful would have looked like good value for money, however having failed in atracting any offers of any real magnitude he looks good for holding out. relity is he will now be sweating like a jury at an anti-celtic race hate crime case

Archived