A great transfer window, Heart of Midlothian

bighusref

Captain Canada

I'm far from happy - we still have too much dead wood in the squad on good wages that should have been moved on.

The squad is very poorly balanced with too many midfielders and not enough defenders - who do we play at left back if Grainger gets injured? Who do we play at centre half when Webby gets injured again?

Who is going to score us 15+ goals a season?

We do have the nucleus of a good squad but it definitely needs tweaked. For example if Grainger and Webby were both out at the same time we'd be forced into playing midfielders at left back and centre half because Barr is well out of the picture.

I'm far from happy - we still have too much dead wood in the squad on good wages that should have been moved on.

The squad is very poorly balanced with too many midfielders and not enough defenders - who do we play at left back if Grainger gets injured? Who do we play at centre half when Webby gets injured again?

We do have the nucleus of a good squad but it definitely needs tweaked. For example if Grainger and Webby were both out at the same time we'd be forced into playing midfielders at left back and centre half because Barr is well out of the picture.

You can't just move players on. It takes 3-4 years to turn a squad around and tbh in terms of what we can actually afford and what we actually have we are very lucky.

The sooner people wake up to this the better.

No point looking back at past squads from 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Football has changed so much in the last few years the standard of player we can actually afford is much lower than it was.

The solution....play the youth players when they are good enough and I think we are almost at the point where the investment in the academy should start bearing fruit.

Wonder if I am alone in thinking PS will be using the international break to properly assess the squad at his disposal (those away on international duty aside, cant be too many I'd imagine) and we may see some movement in the free transfer market next week.

John Gentleman

Ryan McGowan. He's a better CB than a RB.....and reports suggest he had a great game at WHL.

Ryan McGowan. He's a better CB than a RB.....and reports suggest he had a great game at WHL.

He played excellently at WHL........playing at RB. I've never been convinced with him at CB, he does OK, but he looks a far more accomplished player playing at RB IMO.

Overall, I'm relatively pleased. I'd have liked some more players to leave but I realise that that would require someone actually wanting our players which isn't always easy.

Hopefully get another CB in on a free transfer and reject Stewart's advances and I'll be relatively pleased with our squad going forward.

Captain Canada

I've yet to see Ryan McGowan play at centre half (although I know he has) so couldn't comment.

We don't have a proven centre half or left back to step in which is worrying. I wish we still had Jose Goncalves as he'd be ideal for both positions.

Eggert did well at centre back at the start of the season imo, maybe McHattie will be made leftback cover?

Maybe worth looking at this thread again judging by PS comments at the shareholder dinner.

I dont see what a sensible managers comments should count for, not when we have the happy clapping brigade that settle for constant mediocrity.

Well said Sergio, everyone else that thinks otherwise - get out of your comfort zone of being the best of the rest!!

I'm left quite disappointed. I've tried looking on the bright side (grainger, hamill etc) but I've been hoping for a decent centre mid for two and a half years ffs.

Maybe worth looking at this thread again judging by PS comments at the shareholder dinner.

What did he say?

What did he say?

That he was disappointed that he couldn't bring the players in that he wanted....much like the majority of managers in every other league.

Still the "happy clappers" will drown out the "Vlad haters."

Otherwise feck knows!

I dont see what a sensible managers comments should count for, not when we have the happy clapping brigade that settle for constant mediocrity.

Well said Sergio, everyone else that thinks otherwise - get out of your comfort zone of being the best of the rest!!

Christ what a load of pish.

thumbsup.gif

Far from the first and nowhere near the last time, but, hey ho, my opinions are not formed in such a way so that people agree with them. Just with honesty.

Name change to Dan Ashcroft imminent imo.

You can't just move players on. It takes 3-4 years to turn a squad around and tbh in terms of what we can actually afford and what we actually have we are very lucky.

The sooner people wake up to this the better.

No point looking back at past squads from 10, 20 or 30 years ago. Football has changed so much in the last few years the standard of player we can actually afford is much lower than it was.

The solution....play the youth players when they are good enough and I think we are almost at the point where the investment in the academy should start bearing fruit.

Correct. Folk need to realise this isnae Football Manager 10 - you can't just hawk off any old shite for ?200k after a bidding war. Even the wages some of these guys are on make it impossible to even release them for a free transfer.

Would like to have seen direct quotes on Mr Sergio's Shareholder dinner comments, but of course he identified players and obviously we didn't manage to get it done, for whatever reason. Not something I know anything about tbh.

Correct. Folk need to realise this isnae Football Manager 10 - you can't just hawk off any old shite for ?200k after a bidding war. Even the wages some of these guys are on make it impossible to even release them for a free transfer.

Would like to have seen direct quotes on Mr Sergio's Shareholder dinner comments, but of course he identified players and obviously we didn't manage to get it done, for whatever reason. Not something I know anything about tbh.

King Kenny must be a Legend...He launched loads of shite because other teams wanted them..... :thumbsup: If no....it was GTF regardless!

Archived