A great transfer window, Heart of Midlothian

bighusref

Folks,

Let's not be drawn into the transfer window madness. Heart of Midlothian conducted their business early, signing identified targets back when we were hoping for a nice summer. Four in, all with good SPL experience and at this stage two have been huge successes, one has not really got started yet and the other has only recently returned from injury. With the outgoings, we have shed many players and only one in Lee Wallace is one that could be deemed as a player to miss. Even then, one of our signings (signed with a view to replacing Wallace) has been in excellent form.

Of the transfer windows Heart of Midlothian have participated in, this is up there as the best outwith 2005.

I fully accept that Paulo Sergio may be a little upset as he may have wanted to bring a few of his own guys in, but his chance and time will come. I'd suggest we made offers that were either unsuccessful or simply couldn't be ratified in time. Had we not already made solid signings, I may have worried but our window activity is better than the majority of the league. Let's look at the window as a whole, and absolutely remember that we had four new signings in our travelling squad to pre-season.

Well done, Heart of Midlothian.

Remember being stuck with Nade and seeing each transfer window pass us by with no new strikers.

That was horrible.

Paulo will do a good job with this squad. Then maybe sign up some class in January.

Will be slightly disappointed if no-one else comes in, as I believe our midfield isn't good enough.

That said, quality over quantity.

Well said BH, back in April/May if someone had told us by the window closing we'd sign Sutton, Grainger, Hamill and Taouil then we'd have been quite pleased

I'm happy with our signings JJ got in and now Paulo can develop them. Still I would have liked Paulo to bring in a player as he's apparently got a good eye for players.

Guest NeilMorriseyIsAJambo

Folks,

Let's not be drawn into the transfer window madness. Heart of Midlothian conducted their business early, signing identified targets back when we were hoping for a nice summer. Four in, all with good SPL experience and at this stage two have been huge successes, one has not really got started yet and the other has only recently returned from injury. With the outgoings, we have shed many players and only one in Lee Wallace is one that could be deemed as a player to miss. Even then, one of our signings (signed with a view to replacing Wallace) has been in excellent form.

Of the transfer windows Heart of Midlothian have participated in, this is up there as the best outwith 2005.

I fully accept that Paulo Sergio may be a little upset as he may have wanted to bring a few of his own guys in, but his chance and time will come. I'd suggest we made offers that were either unsuccessful or simply couldn't be ratified in time. Had we not already made solid signings, I may have worried but our window activity is better than the majority of the league. Let's look at the window as a whole, and absolutely remember that we had four new signings in our travelling squad to pre-season.

:touche:

well said that man

The Comedian

As things stand we haven't backed our manager IMO. Simple as that.

He has JJ's team who just HAD to go. Why replace him and leave the new guy hanging.

Time yet I suppose.

Cut The Crap

If we hadn't sacked the manager who signed them and set his replacement the target of winning win the league, then I would have agreed BH. As it is, it still looks to me like Vlad is making it up as he goes along.

chester copperpot

I think we're all used to being at this time of the transfer window and not having a decent signing made yet.

We did all our business superbly well this year, nice and early with decent quality coming in.

Nothing concrete, however there may be a wee shock tonight. I certainly hope so.

He has JJ's team who just HAD to go. Why replace him and leave the new guy hanging.

Time yet I suppose.

As things stand, we haven't been successful in our attempts to back our manager, IMO. Simple as that.

Let's be clear, another signing? A Paulo Sergio signing? I'd be pleased with that. However, as things stand, let us not forget the improvements we have been able to make.

Cardiac Rucksack

There will be plenty of good pros who are free agents after tonight. business will be done over the next couple of weeks.

Getintaethem

Time yet I suppose.

The problem being that the squad is too big. Sergio will have time to weigh up the squad that he has, there are alot of players out of contract at the end of the season. Next year is when we'll see Sergio bringing in his signings.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

The squad is still far better than any other outside the old squirm.

Just hope Sergio is given time.

I wonder if something has been hatched with Tottenham? Maybe that away leg left an impression with 'arry..

Still third place should be within easy reach at least.

What people fail to realise as well that there will be hundreds of layers out of contract right now.

We were never in the position to be paying money for anyone, nor were we likely to be bringing in a loan signing either.

So our business doesn't have to end tonight, if Paolo knows of anyone who's out of contract, we might still see some activity.

The question I would have assuming no (further) signings are made is under what criteria will PS be judged ? The ridiculous notion that the squad is anywhere near a title winning one cannot even be taken seriously as a target so what will satisfy the owner and allow PS the time to get rid of quite a number of the deadweights still in the squad and bring in additional quality he thinks will improve us ? Will 3rd but 20pts or more behind Rantic be sufficient ? Will a trophy suffice ? What does he need to do to stay in a job as the SPL title clearly remains way out of reach at this point ?

Dean Winchester

We'll get a couple of players on free's. Transfer deadline really has no affect on us as far as I'm concerned at least in terms of bringing players in.

Libertonian_II

The problem being that the squad is too big. Sergio will have time to weigh up the squad that he has, there are alot of players out of contract at the end of the season. Next year is when we'll see Sergio bringing in his signings.

Saved me typing it myself :thumbsup:

The Comedian

As things stand, we haven't been successful in our attempts to back our manager, IMO. Simple as that.

Let's be clear, another signing? A Paulo Sergio signing? I'd be pleased with that. However, as things stand, let us not forget the improvements we have been able to make.

Word it how you like. He hasn't been backed with a signing of his own.

We had to factor in the new appointment bringing in his own players when we got rid of JJ. Now half a season will be gone before January comes and the market then is always poor value.

The problem for PS is by this time next season he could be out a job because JJ's team didn't cut the mustard.

Negative bawbag ah know.

Word it how you like. He hasn't been backed with a signing of his own.

We had to factor in the new appointment bringing in his own players when we got rid of JJ. Now half a season will be gone before January comes and the market then is always poor value.

The problem for PS is by this time next season he could be out a job because JJ's team didn't cut the mustard.

Negative bawbag ah know.

It's not about wording, it's about opinion. Your opinion is that we haven't backed him with a signing, my opinion is that we haven't been successful in backing him with a signing. Two completely different things.

As for Paulo Sergio's long term future, do you HONESTLY believe that one or two players signed by him today would give him managerial longevity? Aye?

Toxteth O'Grady

2 full backs (hammil and grainger) that have been good and look like they will be first team regular players in and 1 top class full back sold (wallace)and and one punted to Kaunas for being a perv (CT). Overall a neutral effect IMO.

1 midfielder that has been injured (mehdi) but might be decent in and one out at end of contract (ruben) = neutral/slight weakening IMO.

Bouzid gone not replaced = weakened

1 striker (sutton) that the current mangager doesn't rate = waste.

Everybody loves Baz

Folks,

tin_hat_2_mid.jpg

tin_hat_2_mid.jpg

thumbsup.gif

Far from the first and nowhere near the last time, but, hey ho, my opinions are not formed in such a way so that people agree with them. Just with honesty.

The Comedian

It's not about wording, it's about opinion. Your opinion is that we haven't backed him with a signing, my opinion is that we haven't been successful in backing him with a signing. Two completely different things.

As for Paulo Sergio's long term future, do you HONESTLY believe that one or two players signed by him today would give him managerial longevity? Aye?

It's about bodies in the door for the new guy and there are how many?

As for the last bit, not at Hearts mate.

It's about bodies in the door for the new guy and there are how many?

As for the last bit, not at Hearts mate.

I'm sorry, it's not about bodies in the door. Otherwise we could have signed a million players tonight. Hell, they could have got you and I for a packet of Tangy Tom's and a bottle of Blue Moon Lemonade. It's all about trying to get the right players. Did we succeed? Maybe, they are out of contract? Maybe not. However, if we are trying to get the right players for Paulo Sergio, we are part of the way there. If it is simply that we didn't try, then he won't last 'til Christmas.

When you see the amount of cash flying around in England, even in their lower leagues, the closer you get to the end of the transfer window the more impossible it becomes for the clubs up here to be involved. Even the Weejie gruesomes. Without Euro football, why would a player choose the SPL over the Championship? Sergio came in at the wrong time but I'm sure he'll work with what he has.

Hearts did well and acted early in the summer, and made four good signings. We've also managed to hold onto most of our best players.

Come tomorrow there might be decent players unattached and available. Ala Skacel and Webster last year.

We've done not to badly at all.

The measure of Paulo Sergio's player policy will be shown in January. He's not had anywhere near as much time as he needed to identify hopes within HMFC or players to fill them.

Our current squad should be good enough to press hard for 3rd and with two or three strong additions in january, we can start looking upwards.

We brought in a new manager and have not backed him in this transfer window. This is fact.

Yes, JJ was backed in the summer, but as soon as he was punted and a new guy brought in, he surely has to be allowe to build his own side.

The fact that hearts said they were trying to sign a defender and midfielder means we have so far not succeeded.

I do feel that we should not be signing anyone unless we get rid of some 1st though, and possibly this is the reason VR has not sanctioned any moves.

We have a string enough squad to finish 3rd this year, although our team lacks a real goal threat, and a fit Skacel, possibly Stevo, being the only real threats I see in our side right now.

Harry Palmer

It's up to the current squad of players to show they have the intelligence to adapt to the style of play that Mr Sergio wants to install.

The same could be said of the fans too.

We keep hearing from "experts" on here that we have a massive squad already and yet there is a constant clamour for more... perhaps a willingness to work hard at improving would negate the need for more signings.

Anyway, I blame Obua. :ninja:

Jambof3tornado

2 full backs (hammil and grainger) that have been good and look like they will be first team regular players in and 1 top class full back sold (wallace)and and one punted to Kaunas for being a perv (CT). Overall a neutral effect IMO.

1 midfielder that has been injured (mehdi) but might be decent in and one out at end of contract (ruben) = neutral/slight weakening IMO.

Bouzid gone not replaced = weakened

1 striker (sutton) that the current mangager doesn't rate = waste.

I take it the razor blades are locked away in the o'grady house?

Snake Plissken

Remember that we signed Rudi Skacel in September last season so we may yet bring in one or two players who are out of contract.

There are some zoomers on here tonight.

How does anyone here know on what terms PS accepted the job...If he was told "when you join us you can sign any 5 players you want" then we could be in bother. If he was told "when you join us you can look at the squad and see what you think, there might be a few positions where you think we are a bit short of quality and, whilst we are working at reducing the wage bill (a fact in open circulation) , we'll try hard to get the players we can afford, but we can't make any promises as the deals would need to be in the best interest of the club"........or option three and, in my opinion, what is probably nearer the truth...."when you join us we want you to look at all the players at the club, especially the youngsters. We've spent a few mill over the last few years on the youth setup here and we think there is a lot of potential there that a more progressive, modern, coach could harness to produce a more appealing style of play. Sure we could try and sign a few players for you, but possibly not until January, when a few players leave the club when their contracts run down, because obviously we can't just ask players to leave if we don't like them anymore."

We were 3rd last year and haven't lost any players we'll really miss, Wallace was always injured last season so couldn't be called a loss from last year.

I for one am happy with the window and look forward to seeing taoul (bad SP sorry), Robinson, smith, novi, obua, temps, black, and all the others improve under the management style of PS.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I would imagine we tried hard to get players in.

Thankfully though, we don't pay ridiculous wages anymore and I would imagine that severely restricts the type of player we are likely to see for a good while.

Lets be honest, you have to be pretty shite to want to ply your trade in the SPL at the moment.

We brought in a new manager and have not backed him in this transfer window. This is fact.

Yes, JJ was backed in the summer, but as soon as he was punted and a new guy brought in, he surely has to be allowe to build his own side.

The fact that hearts said they were trying to sign a defender and midfielder means we have so far not succeeded.

I do feel that we should not be signing anyone unless we get rid of some 1st though, and possibly this is the reason VR has not sanctioned any moves.

We have a string enough squad to finish 3rd this year, although our team lacks a real goal threat, and a fit Skacel, possibly Stevo, being the only real threats I see in our side right now.

I'll ask you to read the posts I responded to The Comedian on an earlier thread. Having said that, the second line that I emboldened seems to suggest that you appreciate the club tried to back him but were unsuccessful. Given this, I am sure you will appreciate the clubs efforts and recognise that we did try to get players for Paulo Sergio but, as yet, were unsuccessful. Hard luck, Heart of Midlothian.

JamboAberdeen

Swift managerial after JJ left shows Vlad and Paulo had held discussion way before, and I guess Paulo was told he has to utilise squad inherited, agree or leave, and he agreed.

Remember JJ had already signed quite many new comers at that point, while youngsters were rarely promoted.

Vlad wouldn't be happy to part more money without seeing what they can do.

So far 3 of 4 JJ signings have been decent if not impressive, and Paulo is slowly integrating youngsters into the first team.

Another LB signing could have been nice though, I'm generally happy man.

We'll get a couple of players on free's. Transfer deadline really has no affect on us as far as I'm concerned at least in terms of bringing players in.

Hopefully this. The quotes we heard in the week suggested we were looking at a couple of contracted boys. Maybe Tapin was one of them?

Thankfully though, we don't pay ridiculous wages anymore and I would imagine that severely restricts the type of player we are likely to see for a good while.

Lets be honest, you have to be pretty shite to want to ply your trade in the SPL at the moment.

Nail. Head. Hit on.

The Mighty Thor

we did all our business early on this year which is fair enough. Unfortunately it was business done by someone who is not the current manager.

The way i see it we are no further forward in real terms as we continually seem to have a very large squad of players all signed by anyone other than the current manager and by the time the current manager gets to make his own signings he's generally not the current manager for much longer thereafter.

Time will tell if Sergio can make the flair footballing silk purse out of 4 years (and 2 other managers) of sows ears signings. Perhaps he is finally the man to get something out of Riccarton and the golden generation?

Our squad is too big and lacks quality and we never seem to be able to get closer to the smaller but higher quality squad that would improve the product on the park and improve the balance sheet.

So in summary........Meh.

Agreed. I think that Vlad wants to really know if our emerging younger players have the mental and physical qualities to push for a starting place and would like some closer scrutiny being given before adding to the squad and the payroll. Also I suspect it has been difficult to "move on" some of the players who are not holding down (or pushing for) a regular spot but are, by SPL standards, being well paid for it.

From a financial perspective, when some of the guys who CANNOT make our bench can earn upwards of ?4K a week, a tidy pension fund is being built not playing in the SPL

Drylaw Hearts

I don't think it was great - it was no more than 'ok' imo.

We didn't manage to get rid of several players who will never feature ie. The Balogh and Barr and we didn't bring in an experienced CH, a better CM'er or another striker.

We are also down to one Left Back again.

We've also allowed Kello to enter the last 12 months of his contract which may come back to bite us on the arse.

Carl Spackler

I'm happy! The last year has seen the best shaping of the squad in many and we haven't lost anyone, Wallace aside.

I'd still like JJ to come back as DOF or at least a consultant in the potential transfers to target within the Scottish game though.

I realise that this guy might well be ofr the U19, but anyone in the Spurs youth set-up is bound to be pretty good.

"Hearts were one of the few clubs to make any moves, signing Scotland Under-19 midfielder Callum Tapping - ironically from Tottenham" Scotsman

Did anyone on here really expect us to sign someone last night? As in shell out cash for a player? I'm personally struggling to remember who was the last player we bought.

All our recent signings have been Bosmans and with the window now shut there will be loads of players getting released.

I'd prefer Hearts were to follow this trend and bin the rubbish currently infecting our squad to free up wages and get in 2 quality players that Sergio wants.

PS - If Mixu can get a Killie team of journeymen pro's to play attractive football then Sergio with better players should also be able to get us playing the way he wants

Archived