Burning flare in N3

peter_hmfc

Anyone else see the flare in N3 just before kick-off? I don't mean the 2 smoke cans that were thrown on but the one in N3?

sns_picture_desk_5431405.jpg

Would you say it's great to add to the atmosphere, or just simply dangerous?

Personally I thought it'd look great in the corner of N3, where it would illuminate amidst the darkness. Then again, the obvious case is the wooden floor, so maybe N1 or Section G would be far safer for something like that. It looked good until they threw it, which was a BIG no-no.

Thoughts?

They do look good and can add to the atmosphere but at the same time can incite trouble or be dangeous. They are also less than healthy for those who have respiratory problems. Can damage the pitches too plus the authorities are awful at dealing with them

Not against them myself but can see the arguments against them.

I think they look great, but not when people throw them on the pitch. It just delays play and just gives people who don't want them anywhere near football an excuse to turn more people against them. Keep them in the stand, they create a good atmosphere and get the fans going.

Nicholas Brody

Crap throw. Pretty sure it hit someone before making it to the pitch. Thought it was thrown into the section the amount it was spinning.... Shit maself :sob:

Gregory House M.D.

Think the safe ones only come in white. They look like Urinal Cakes and burn the corner to get it started.

They shouldn't be thrown on the pitch but I think certain rules at Scottish Football need relaxed.

1. Smoke bombs should be allowed if certified safe.

2. Safe standing areas (although Tynies probably too steep)

3. Bars in the home ends.

Is that really too much to ask? When I see games on the TV/Internet with smokebombs all round the stadium, I would love to go! It would bring back punters if you ask me.

The current rules are far too strict and are definitely a factor in the crowds falling.

HGW I kind of see it the other way. Is it too much to ask that someone doesnt have a drink for an hour and a half?

alwaysthereinspirit

Dangerous if like Bradfords old stand there's years of debris under the floor. Haven't been in the old stand for years so dont even remember if there's a crawl space under it.

Probably not a good idea period to be throwing bombs over peoples heads though.

Gregory House M.D.

HGW I kind of see it the other way. Is it too much to ask that someone doesnt have a drink for an hour and a half?

Of course not. It's nice to get a wee pint at half time though. Obviously drunken halfwits can get very annoying during a game though.

Gregory House M.D.

Dangerous if like Bradfords old stand there's years of debris under the floor. Haven't been in the old stand for years so dont even remember if there's a crawl space under it.

They should be laid on a stone floor if they are used.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

You have to be a right arsehole to throw a flair into a group of police men/stewards who are standing in a wooden ******* stand that is housing thousands of fans.

It looks great when you see it abroad but I think there is a lot of wood in the old stand and as said about Bradford, we really wouldn't want another one at Tynie.

Fair point, I knew someone would bring up Bradford. The difference to me is that there isn't any space for rubbish to drop into, which was the main cause of the Bradford fire. Obviously the floor is made of wood, but I think it would only singe it instead of spreading. Either way, that's what I was aware of when I said that Section N1 or Section G would be best suited, as they have concrete grounds.

Wanted to put a video on my opening thread, but I was too alte changing it, so here's Man Utd fans doing it away to Man City.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg9RTHik2UU&NR=1

Also FC United fans seem to be getting a great reputation for their fans, who also used flares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLlQ1dsNVTo

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Concrete floor or not though... It's a wooden stand. Unfortunately, as good as they can look, you should not have them in a wooden structure housing thousands of people.

Gregory House M.D.

Concrete floor or not though... It's a wooden stand. Unfortunately, as good as they can look, you should not have them in a wooden structure housing thousands of people.

I'd agree with this. If they were brought in, I'd ban them from wooden stands. Wheatfield, Gorgie and Roseburn type stands only.

Smoke bombs are not incendiary and are the only kinds that should be used (and they look great). Road flares burn extremely hot and are quite dangerous. Supporters should be made aware that they are not to be used for displays at matches.

J Cheever Loophole

This.I was in N3 but can't recall seeing it,did see the green fecker on the park.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think the flares look much better than the smoke bombs personally... Way more dangerous in terms of igniting something or someone though. Even in the metal and concrete stands there is the risk of a dafty chucking it at someone's face or flammable clothing. Really like the flares but unfortunately, the simple truth is, they are more dangerous than the Ribeana cartons that the stewards used to confiscate from me when I was a lad. :(

Gregory House M.D.

90-91_zve_bay_1.jpg

rtr1b7ym1derby.jpg

C0032398-Flares_at_a_football_match-SPL.jpg

Smoke bombs give off a far better display than flares IMO.

You have to be a right arsehole to throw a flair into a group of police men/stewards who are standing in a wooden ******* stand that is housing thousands of fans.

This. Moronic thing to do. Will cost us a fine as well I expect.

Francis Albert

No-one who saw the footage of the Bradford fire would think flares anywhere near the old stand are a good idea.

As for a flares "bringing back fans" , sometimes I despair. Why not just buy a big box of fireworks and set them off somewhere else, if it gives you such a thrill?

Gregory House M.D.

No-one who saw the footage of the Bradford fire would think flares anywhere near the old stand are a good idea.

As for a flares "bringing back fans" , sometimes I despair. Why not just buy a big box of fireworks and set them off somewhere else, if it gives you such a thrill?

Sorry who said flares? I said certified safe SMOKEBOMBS.

J Cheever Loophole

I attended a fire fighting course with the work and we were shown the footage of that terrible day at Bradford.From the first flicker of flame to the total engulfment was only a matter of 2-3 quick minutes.

Horrific!

Francis Albert

Sorry who said flares? I said certified safe SMOKEBOMBS.

i wasn't referring to you, but to the people who thought throwing flares in Section N were a good idea.

Anyway, while you're here, did you really feel that green thing puffing away on the pitch before KO added to the atmosphere? I thought it was marginally less ecxciting than the balloons, and that's saying something.

Tommy Wiseau

Skelping the polis with a lit flare from a rickety wooden fire hazard of a stand was a good idea, likes. :Vlad-Stupid:

Gregory House M.D.

i wasn't referring to you, but to the people who thought throwing flares in Section N were a good idea.

Anyway, while you're here, did you really feel that green thing puffing away on the pitch before KO added to the atmosphere? I thought it was marginally less ecxciting than the balloons, and that's saying something.

When thrown on the pitch they do nothing. In amongst the fans I think it does help atmosphere.

I'm not saying be as slack as Italy, where Milan fans managed to sneak a moped in. Just slightly less strict. All these rules are stripping all atmosphere away from football, IMO.

I agree with all the tales of caution re incendiaries, but, even if they were completely safe, I honestly don't think they look great. Really don't see the appeal tbh.

Sorry.

Ribery's Face

I have a terrible video on my phone and it wont let me upload it. the video shows it being lit and thrown, it is originaly aimed at the hibs fans and clearly shows on the video it hitting either the roof or the pillar, thaats why it spun down and hit the polis. in a way thank feck it did because that was going to land right on some ones noggin! no matter how much i hate hibs, its only football and that is unnacceptable, anyone who thinks this is funny or ok should just GTF. Smoke bombos on the other hand are not an incindery as previously stated they give off a far better effect and are alot safer. SMOKEBOMBS FTW

This.I was in N3 but can't recall seeing it,did see the green fecker on the park.

yeah it flew over my head.

i think that they can look good at night games, less so during the day. its really not a good idea in a wooden stand though

Radioactive Mince

Both - Great for atmosphere and dangerous in a wooden enclosure.

Simply stupidity to chuck them about.

Maiden Gorgie

Disagree with smokebombs or flares or whatever. Even in the newer stands. Lets keep it safe, the only thing Tynie needs for an atmosphere is us.

Alba gu Brath

Bit like the flags issue. If you really want flags, flares and fireworks then go off to the top of a hill and do it all.

Bradford was a lit fag landing on rubbish under the stand , just saying

Skelping the polis with a lit flare from a rickety wooden fire hazard of a stand was a good idea, likes. :Vlad-Stupid:

This.

Are football tops not really flammable as well? Imagine as that flare bounced its way towards the pitch it brushes some kid wearing their Hearts shirt and they go up in flames in a matter of seconds.

I do think they look decent when they're used by European fans, but they don't go chucking them around. Since standing, holding one in Scotland would probably get you lifted and maybe even banned then they're a bit of a no-go area for now.

One flew over

Only an absolute imbecile would set these things off in a wooden stand, The Bradford fire kill 56 people in a stand very similar in nature to the main stand. If you feel that killing fellow supporters and ruining the lives of countless family members is something worth doing because you want to play with big boys sparklers I pity you!

Disagree with smokebombs or flares or whatever. Even in the newer stands. Lets keep it safe, the only thing Tynie needs for an atmosphere is us.

This

Bit like the flags issue. If you really want flags, flares and fireworks then go off to the top of a hill and do it all.

And this.

Francis Albert

When thrown on the pitch they do nothing. In amongst the fans I think it does help atmosphere.

I'm not saying be as slack as Italy, where Milan fans managed to sneak a moped in. Just slightly less strict. All these rules are stripping all atmosphere away from football, IMO.

Were you at White Hart Lane? No flares, no smoke bombs, but just about the best atmosphere at a football match I've attended in 50 years.

I'm sorry, but if that bit of green smoke had been in the School End instead of on the pitch, it would have been even less exciting than it was. Slightly less exciting than most of the balloons that, because of the prevailing wind direction, stubbornly refused to leave the School End.

Jambof3tornado

Said it before and I'll say it again,if you decide to take a flare or smoke bomb to the ground,

LEARN TO THROW THE ******* THING!!!!!

Bunch of big girls blouses!!!down.gif

Guest C00l K1d

Were you at White Hart Lane? No flares, no smoke bombs, but just about the best atmosphere at a football match I've attended in 50 years.

I'm sorry, but if that bit of green smoke had been in the School End instead of on the pitch, it would have been even less exciting than it was. Slightly less exciting than most of the balloons that, because of the prevailing wind direction, stubbornly refused to leave the School End.

If there was maroon smoke at WHL it would've been even better.

I'm against flares as you'll eventually get a numpty who fecks it up, but the smoke looks smart as

hearts_crazy

We've had this daft debate before. All I thought when I saw that being thrown onto the pitch was the exact same thing I thougt when the green smoke was thrown on i.e. 'what a prick'

I am sure the flare throwers will just love soaking up the amazing atmosphere they have created as they are being ejected from the ground, makes no sense to me.

I don't care what anyone says, a flare in a crowd of people with combustable materials all over the place (plastic seats do burn you know) is dangerous, that's why they are banned strangely enough, **** all to do with 'atmosphere'.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how good it looks, it's not allowed, therefore a bad thing, end of story.

Gregory House M.D.

We've had this daft debate before. All I thought when I saw that being thrown onto the pitch was the exact same thing I thougt when the green smoke was thrown on i.e. 'what a prick'

I am sure the flare throwers will just love soaking up the amazing atmosphere they have created as they are being ejected from the ground, makes no sense to me.

I don't care what anyone says, a flare in a crowd of people with combustable materials all over the place (plastic seats do burn you know) is dangerous, that's why they are banned strangely enough, **** all to do with 'atmosphere'.

Bottom line, it doesn't matter how good it looks, it's not allowed, therefore a bad thing, end of story.

Smoke cannisters don't burn.

HTH.

hearts_crazy

Smoke cannisters don't burn.

HTH.

Didn't say they did :blink:

Flares on the other hand can cause fires, great atmosphere when that happens eh? I don't think anyone involed in the Bradford fire thought it was a great atmosphere (yes I know it wasn't caused by a flare, but a flare stupidly thrown in the same place would have resulted in exactly the same outcome mind)

Wonder if those advocating the smokebombs are the same folk that greet and moan about those having a half time fag in the bogs?

Gregory House M.D.

Didn't say they did :blink:

Flares on the other hand can cause fires, great atmosphere when that happens eh? I don't think anyone involed in the Bradford fire thought it was a great atmosphere (yes I know it wasn't caused by a flare, but a flare stupidly thrown in the same place would have resulted in exactly the same outcome mind)

Nobody suggested allowing flares so you're writing an essay for no apparent reason. :lol:

hearts_crazy

Nobody suggested allowing flares so you're writing an essay for no apparent reason. :lol:

What can I say I like typing, I like a wee rant, win win :thumbsup:

Archived