Our Strikers

tcjambo

Thinking of the forwards we currently have at the club - are any of them suitable in the PS era of expansive passing wth wide players. Because of this any striker we have has to be a good all rounder in the lone striker role - physical presence, reasonably quick , can hold the ball up, decent in the air with a powerful shot. Who amongst our current forwards fulfils these criteria and who, therefore, would you keep? -

Kyle - can hold the ball up well with a physical presence but may be knackered and is pretty slow anyway. Needs to prove his fitness.

Sutton - disppointing start to his Hearts career and lacks mobility. May not have done himself any favours if the stories about his attitude are true.

Glen - like Mole and Clum started his Hearts career promisingly. Shown little since. Seems to lack the required commitment. Will leave I suspect.

Elliott - quite nippy and can't question his commitment but plays best off a more physical striker. Probably our current best option at present.

Clum - probably suitable physically but neither particularly good in the air and appears to lack power in his shot or a striker's instinct. Going stale at our club and would be best to move on when he gains fitness.

Ogleby - gaining experience at East Fife and is an ex-sprinter , so he should be quick. I believe he is also fairly physical. Might be one for the future.

Smith - now here's a guy that might fit the bill. In two important games - hobos last year at FR and TH he has shown great controlbut can he be expected to carry the responsibility.

So overall Kyle, Sutton, Glen and Clum and even 2Ts look to be less than ideal to occupy the slot that PS would have them play. Currentl, Ryan Stevenson has probably been more effective than our designated strikers. I think Clum, Glen and either Kyle or Sutton need to move on and with Smith and Ogleby lacking experience it seems to me we need another striker closer to the above specification.

I'd like to think he'll give Kyle and Sutton chances. Glen and Clum can get out in my opinion. Smith's one for the future as is Ogleby and Elliott is a great player that should be involved. I want Kyle to get fit and get his chance because he's a passionate player that causes problems and is probably the most natural finisher out of all our strikers, in the air or on the ground.

i class Stevo as a striker now tbh, play him with Rudi behind and two wingers next to him until we unearth a gem

sandyseymour

i class Stevo as a striker now tbh, play him with Rudi behind and two wingers next to him until we unearth a gem

I've never been a Clum admirer, in fact I'm best described as a Clum hater 'cos he has too many deficiences to my mind to be a top striker. However, he is quite good when the ball is played to feet,,,he can hold the ball up reasonably well and take his man on. So despite my strong reservations re his SPL ability, I'd like to see him get a few games playing in Sergio's game plan....no great expectations tho'...it would only take me a couple of howlers plus him putting on his moaning face, to reconfirm my view that he is no better than a SFL level striker :unsure:

I like 2Ts but I only see him as being really effective in a 4-4-2 set up otherwise he may be feeding off scraps. Having said that he did fairly well on Sunday. I get the impression his goal:chances ratio could be better as well. Stevo isn't the answer IMO.

Smith and /or Ellott will do fine with the right support.

Johanes de Silentio

If people expect us to sign the perfect striker to fit our system, then they'll wait a long time.

I hope that these rumours about Sutton are unfounded as I feel Sutton given time to settle would be the ideal player to lead the line with the approach Sergio appears to be taking.

His service to date has been pretty abysmal and the one time it has been decent he has scored. (Temps getting past his man and pulling it back, the other goal he scored I didn't actually see the build up so can't comment). This was the kind of service he thrived upon at Well with Murphy and Humphrey either side of him and getting to the bye-line. So far he has had to play with back to goal 9 times out of 10 with long aimless balls lumped towards him. Give him service with him facing the goal and lets see if he can repeat what he did against Aberdeen.

He was the summer signing that excited us most on here because of what he proved he could do in the SPL and lets just hope he is given the opportunity to become the 15-20 goal a season striker we haven't had in a long time.

Gregory House M.D.

Gordon Smith.

Backed him to have a big future at Hearts when I first saw him play, still think he will. I also think he'll fit in nicely to Paulo's strategy.

Elliott is really good at making space for othres to attack, is very mobile and hard working, he also is good at finishing, hopefully he can get a run.

William H. Bonney

If people expect us to sign the perfect striker to fit our system, then they'll wait a long time.

Ive been waiting for the perfect striker since robbo left. My patience is wearing thin.

Jambo, Goodbye

Elliott was unlucky to hit the post on Sunday. Would have been another good finish from him had it been an inch or two inwards

Best fit seems to be Elliott. Rest slow, unfit or too inexperienced and glen has just never done it. You have to be worried about how Sutton will fit in other than from the bench which is probably going to be better provided by a semi-fit Kyle.

Sutton's not a target man like JJ played him. It didn't suit his game and if you watched some motherwell games last season we would have seen him linking up with their midfield a lot and moving the ball around. At Hearts, JJ had stuck him upfront with midfielders of a lesser quality than Motherwell, hence the reason he's finding it tough at Hearts at the moment. Maybe Sergio should get a hold of some M'well games from last season and see what kind of player he is instead of just dropping him, almost looking to make him a scapegoat. Think the way this bloke wants us to play would be more suited to Sutton anyway so it's a strange situation.

Doubt Kyle will play again. Every week there's another problem with him but if he does manage to get a game, how's Sergio going to react to his physical, aggressive style?

Steven Elliott is a very good footballer but for a forward, he doesn't score enough for me, maybe playing him behind strikers we would get the best out of him.

Calum Elliot? Get rid! He's not a youngster anymore and he's had plenty chances over the years. Always said he was 1st Division level or lower SPL at the very most and has proved this between his long-term injury problems. A drain on resources and as good as not actually being there in the first place.

Gordon Smith should be given a chance to show what he's got to offer. Could be a decent player and hope he doesn't become another Elliot over the next few years.

Gary Glen is another like Jamie Mole and Calum Elliot, 1st Division level. Don't know why these guys don't progress properly, they all made the 1st team before David Goodwillie at Utd and now he's moved on miles ahead of our lot. Get rid!

We really need to get another striker in before tomorrow night, don't expect our lot to win many high-scoring games.

Elliott is really good at making space for othres to attack, is very mobile and hard working, he also is good at finishing, hopefully he can get a run.

Actually felt Eliotts movement on Sunday was quite poor tbh, spent large periods of the game motionless in the centre of the pitch, only movements he made were to chase things wide rather than make runs in the middle of the park!

mahgrassyshoes

I personally think Sutton is the best fit. The big problem is getting the players to fully play his style of football. As others have said, Sutton's not a target man in the mould of Kyle. He won't win the 50-70%of headers you'd expect Kyle to win. However, if you put the ball into his feet or his chest, he will retain the ball and lay it to the Skacels, Templetons, Drivers etc. The problem is getting playing playing the ball into feet and getting players with the ability and confidence to play short passes into feet until the right gap in play comes up to break a team down.

Long term, I think we have to look at Graeme Smith to become the forward player we're looking for.

Stevenson and Elliott will do fine for back up for the time being.

Edit: Not been on all weekend, what are these rumours about Sutton being unhappy?

I personally think Sutton is the best fit. The big problem is getting the players to fully play his style of football. As others have said, Sutton's not a target man in the mould of Kyle. He won't win the 50-70%of headers you'd expect Kyle to win. However, if you put the ball into his feet or his chest, he will retain the ball and lay it to the Skacels, Templetons, Drivers etc. The problem is getting playing playing the ball into feet and getting players with the ability and confidence to play short passes into feet until the right gap in play comes up to break a team down.

Long term, I think we have to look at Graeme Smith to become the forward player we're looking for.

Stevenson and Elliott will do fine for back up for the time being.

Edit: Not been on all weekend, what are these rumours about Sutton being unhappy?

Maybe even Gordon Smith. ;)

mahgrassyshoes

Maybe even Gordon Smith. ;)

No, I want the (former?) Hibs goalie playinf up for us!! :ninja:

Me= :facepalm:

JamboAberdeen

Sutton for me now, mobile, clinical with physical strength though he is not JJ type target man.

TT is ok, but not fit for current 4-2-3-1.

Probably better to play with target man.

Elliot/Glen, think time has run out for them, and injuries dashed their chance to go on loan.

Smith showed some promise in the future, but I felt the same when Weir/Elliot/Mole/Glen broke into the first time.

May be not ready yet to play from start.

Hope he'll be gradually nurtured under good management.

KK, sorry his career ended last Jan.

I think 4-4-2 with Sutton/TT is worth consideration as one option.

Elliott, Smith and Sutton I think could all do the job required. Hard to see how Kyle will fit into the system, but if the rumours are true he's fecked anyway. Last chance saloon for Clum and Glen, to be honest I'd get rid because they're always injured anyway.

Gregory House M.D.

Sutton for me now, mobile, clinical with physical strength though he is not JJ type target man.

TT is ok, but not fit for current 4-2-3-1.

Probably better to play with target man.

Elliot/Glen, think time has run out for them, and injuries dashed their chance to go on loan.

Smith showed some promise in the future, but I felt the same when Weir/Elliot/Mole/Glen broke into the first time.

May be not ready yet to play from start.

Hope he'll be gradually nurtured under good management.

KK, sorry his career ended last Jan.

I think 4-4-2 with Sutton/TT is worth consideration as one option.

Sutton Mobile? He turns like a road-train and is slower than KK. He's also rotten in the air, struggles to create his own chances, falls far too easily and is pretty pish at holding the ball up. IMO, he'll be lucky to be a Hearts player in February under PS.

Tokyo Drifter

Smith and Elliott for me. Stevo's done well up front but he's not a striker, ditto Obua. I think Stevo will be even better in midfield now that he's had striking experience and got a few goals under his belt.

Sutton's a dud. So are Clum and Glen.

As has been the case for at least five years now, we need a 15-goals-a-season striker.

I think we should be looking at a really adventurous loan deal with an EPL club, not something we've done much in the past. Why not milk our newly minted friendship with Spurs?

mahgrassyshoes

Smith and Elliott for me. Stevo's done well up front but he's not a striker, ditto Obua. I think Stevo will be even better in midfield now that he's had striking experience and got a few goals under his belt.

Sutton's a dud. So are Clum and Glen.

As has been the case for at least five years now, we need a 15-goals-a-season striker.

I think we should be looking at a really adventurous loan deal with an EPL club, not something we've done much in the past. Why not milk our newly minted friendship with Spurs?

He's played ~5 games for us and scored 2, he scored 18 last season; a bit early to completely write him off surely?

I've never been a Clum admirer, in fact I'm best described as a Clum hater 'cos he has too many deficiences to my mind to be a top striker. However, he is quite good when the ball is played to feet,,,he can hold the ball up reasonably well and take his man on. So despite my strong reservations re his SPL ability, I'd like to see him get a few games playing in Sergio's game plan....no great expectations tho'...it would only take me a couple of howlers plus him putting on his moaning face, to reconfirm my view that he is no better than a SFL level striker :unsure:

I too am not particularly a fan of CE but he is more mobile than KK or JS and so may be more suited to Sergio's system.

Maybe FF or JiG can help but I believe young Paterson is a tall and mobile forward. Is that right and is he anywhere near the first team?

Sutton's not a target man like JJ played him. It didn't suit his game and if you watched some motherwell games last season we would have seen him linking up with their midfield a lot and moving the ball around. At Hearts, JJ had stuck him upfront with midfielders of a lesser quality than Motherwell, hence the reason he's finding it tough at Hearts at the moment. Maybe Sergio should get a hold of some M'well games from last season and see what kind of player he is instead of just dropping him, almost looking to make him a scapegoat. Think the way this bloke wants us to play would be more suited to Sutton anyway so it's a strange situation.

or...Sutton is just a journeyman plodder who had one good season?

Agree KK is crocked...

Clum has had more chances than the rest put together so no more please!

Glen seems to have an attitude problem.

Stevenson is a midfielder who is more effective up front than most of our strikers!

Elliott is the standout striker we have and if we could find the right way to support him, he'd repay us in spades. I'd like to see if he can play with Smith - there is something about the lad, he gets in good positions and seems to have the instinct.

Importantly Smith has shown that he has excellent control. First in the Hibs game at ER in scoring a tricky chance and secondly with his sublime touch and shot - EPL standard.

or...Sutton is just a journeyman plodder who had one good season?

Agree KK is crocked...

Clum has had more chances than the rest put together so no more please!

Glen seems to have an attitude problem.

Stevenson is a midfielder who is more effective up front than most of our strikers!

Elliott is the standout striker we have and if we could find the right way to support him, he'd repay us in spades. I'd like to see if he can play with Smith - there is something about the lad, he gets in good positions and seems to have the instinct.

HillmanHearts

Movement, pace, intellegence and finishing ability are what he wants in our forwards I would reckon.

We have guys with bits and pieces of these attributes and that have both strenghts and weaknesses in these areas.

The best finisher is probably KK but he's is also our most immobile. ( out injured for ages anyway )

The guy with most guile is probably Steevo but he's probably the 2nd slowest. ( makes up for a lot in effort tho )

The best positional forward could well be 2 Ts, who is also pacey and clever but lacks the scoring instinct for a really 1st class central forward

Sutton so far has shown he can tuck away easy chances but not much else. Ponderous and huffy.

Smith looks mobile and can take a chance. May well fit the bill and will get a chance. ( Seems a wee bit timid - but that's maybe just confidence )

Glen has had numerous chances. Has decent control, quite a natural finisher, nae pace and a questionable attitude.

Callum. Who knows ?. He's got something. Makes good runs. Deserves another wee chance to see what he can bring to the new regime.

For me it's currently perm 2 from S Elliott, Steevo or Smith - with a winger from Driver, Temps or Novo supporting.

( I liked the balance of the flexible 4,3,3 formation against Hibs - would like Robinson to gradually come into that in MF tho )

I think if we're playing with what looks to be 433 we only need a centre forward, with a winger on each flank. This suits us as we have driver, temps, novo and suso to fill the wide slots. It then helps us in midfield also as we don't have many standout players in that area, but if you can blend a 3 out of about 8 options, black, jonsson, Robinson, obua, Stevenson, taoul, rudi, the pole (sorry, can't spell his name - in fact can't really spell!) and the youngster we keep hearing about step up when given a chance then I think we'll be ok. Once the players really start understanding this new style I think we'll see great things. From this group of players.

Strangely when you list it like that what we need is a center half and a replacement left back.

Don't write of Glen just yet. The boy has ability. He looks like the closest thing we have to a natural finisher and he has never had a run in the team. I hope he gets fit soon and starts realising his potential.

Drylaw Hearts

Our strikers are not as bad as some will have you believe.

Really ?

Sutton is the only striker I think we have who is capable of hitting double figures and he looks unlikely to get much game time because of his overall play.

Kyle is toiling, Elliott beavers about without being anywhere near prolific enough, Smith is untried and Elliot and Glen should be written off imo.

We are having to rely on midfielder Stevenson chipping in with a few goals.

And only god knows what we'll do if he gets injured or suspended.

Really ?

Sutton is the only striker I think we have who is capable of hitting double figures and he looks unlikely to get much game time because of his overall play.

Kyle is toiling, Elliott beavers about without being anywhere near prolific enough, Smith is untried and Elliot and Glen should be written off imo.

We are having to rely on midfielder Stevenson chipping in with a few goals.

And only god knows what we'll do if he gets injured or suspended.

To be fair S Elliott hasn`t played too much as a striker. In fact since Kyle, nobody has had a consistent run up front bar maybe Stevenson.

I`d like to see Elliott get half a dozen games up there with our wingers taking the ball to the bye line and Obua arriving late in the box. Could work?

To be fair S Elliott hasn`t played too much as a striker. In fact since Kyle, nobody has had a consistent run up front bar maybe Stevenson.

I`d like to see Elliott get half a dozen games up there with our wingers taking the ball to the bye line and Obua arriving late in the box. Could work?

Lol. That made me laugh.

Don't write of Glen just yet. The boy has ability. He looks like the closest thing we have to a natural finisher and he has never had a run in the team. I hope he gets fit soon and starts realising his potential.

Oh God here we go. He doesnt have ability. He has done nothing to warrant any more chances.

Oh God here we go. He doesnt have ability. He has done nothing to warrant any more chances.

Oh God. Here we go with the 'he's had too many chances' nonsense.

WHEN has Gary Glen had a RUN of games in the team?

Simple enough question to answer given all the 'chances' he's had!!!

Or is it because he hasn't come off the bench for 5 minutes dozens of times and banged the goals in that you are passing judgement?

Oh God. Here we go with the 'he's had too many chances' nonsense.

WHEN has Gary Glen had a RUN of games in the team?

Simple enough question to answer given all the 'chances' he's had!!!

Or is it because he hasn't come off the bench for 5 minutes dozens of times and banged the goals in that you are passing judgement?

Well you've actually managed to quote something I didn't say. I'm not saying he's had hundreds of chances, I am saying I don't think he deserves another chance because he doesn't have the ability. It is not about him not banging in the goals. It is about him sluggishly bumbling about the pitch, not looking interested, being horribly unfit for a young lad, and generally being horrendously lazy. He is not a good footballer and I stand by the fact that if he was foreign there would not be such a call for him to be given a run in the team. I am extremely confident that if he had a run of 7 or 8 starts all we would see is more of the same, forgettign the fact it doesnt look like he could mentally or physically manage 90 minutes.

Archived