Full Backs

Rudy T

Not read much praise for the two of them, thought they were the driving force behind our win yesterday, both have great delivery, strong in the tackle, can get up and down the pitch and stayed calm despite the muppets best attempts to break their legs at every opportunity.

Thought Driver benefited from not having to track back as much (he still put a shift in) and Stevenson could come inside knowing he always had cover behind him.

Great performance from both of them.

I said yesterday that the full backs were the difference. And Webster actually. Our full backs were excellent, theirs were a couple of jokers.

Our full backs are both fierce in the tackle, can get forward, are comfortable on the ball and give us terrific balance.

Two outstanding signings by JJ and i'm struggling to think when we last had such good balance in the full back options.

Strongest we have been in both full back positions for some time. **** knows what we would do it Grainger gets injured/suspended..

David McCaig

The signings of Hamill and Grainger are two good examples of why JJ would have had a lot to offer as Director of Football.

JJs eye for raw talent and Paolo's ability to coach, hone and refine could have been a sensational combination.

Alan Johnson

Grainger was great as he has been all season and that was comfortably Hammill's best game for us, I'd say. He was solid defensively, got forward well and set up both goals with good crosses, and even had a go at the hibs fans in the second half. Can't say fairer than that.

Agreed, two impressive signings - not missing LW at all, (who I'm led to believe is injured again). When you consider Gowser's performance on thursday we have a very good covering player too - happy days!

alwaysthereinspirit

The days of Takis Fyssas are gone. We now bring through our own (Wallace) or we Bosman/sign a capable type player we can afford.

I thought both did exactly what was required and expected of them yesterday. We wont go far wrong with any the 4 we now have at our disposal.

Onward and upward.

I hate to criticize Grainger because he has impressed me a lot this season. But he does have a major problem with his right foot. This means he is unable to play a ball into the middle of the park if he turns inside. If the ball down the line is not on then his only option is to turn back to the centre halves or Kello. It grates on my nerves when I see professional footballers unable to play a ball with there wrong foot, and you can see it all the way to the top of the game. Apart from that, top marks to the lad. Great in the tackle, composed moving forward and a danger with corners and free kicks.

The signings of Hamill and Grainger are two good examples of why JJ would have had a lot to offer as Director of Football.

JJs eye for raw talent and Paolo's ability to coach, hone and refine could have been a sensational combination.

Totally agree, and when you consider the contributions of Webster, Stevenson, and Elliott, there's five of yesterday's team (six if you count giving Mrowiec a second chance) signed by JJ.

It goes to show how good Danny Grainger has been that I was not happy with 3 misplaced passes he had. I thought he had a 6.5 game instead of his usual 8 since signing for us.

This is not a criticism, I don't criticize Hearts players, just an observation.

Jamie Hamill was superb.

JamboAberdeen

While Grainger has been impressive, contender for player of the year so far, finally we found replacement for Maybury.

Strong in pushing forward, decent delivery, some cheeky tricks and crucial tackles, missing for us for a while.

But also think Webster/Zali will have more options in build up if they drop back 5 yards down to receive the ball.

At the moment CBs often struggle to find players available, so resorting to pass either Adrian and Kello.

special agent oso

One big problem could be when/if granger gets injured for a period of time or suspended who covers him?

One big problem could be when/if granger gets injured for a period of time or suspended who covers him?

My guess would be McHattie?

special agent oso

I dunno, I don't watch any under 19's football, last season we had to move midfielders to left back when Wallace was out injured, hopefully McHattie is the answer

Two cracking signings.

Both have so much to offer and so much energy.

Last season we played most of it with players standing in a full backs.

While Grainger has been impressive, contender for player of the year so far, finally we found replacement for Maybury.

Strong in pushing forward, decent delivery, some cheeky tricks and crucial tackles, missing for us for a while.

But also think Webster/Zali will have more options in build up if they drop back 5 yards down to receive the ball.

At the moment CBs often struggle to find players available, so resorting to pass either Adrian and Kello.

I was assuming that the full backs, and Black and Obua, were under instruction to push up to force Hibs midfield players to sit back, although Hamill was often available but ignored. As you say, this limited the passing options for Webster, Zaliukas and Mrowiec, resulting in several misplaced through passes from Zaliukas especially.

Although they're not physically similar, Grainger and Hamill do seem to play a similar give 100% game. Long may it continue.

yabadabadoo1874again

Agree totally with this : )

Not read much praise for the two of them, thought they were the driving force behind our win yesterday, both have great delivery, strong in the tackle, can get up and down the pitch and stayed calm despite the muppets best attempts to break their legs at every opportunity.

Thought Driver benefited from not having to track back as much (he still put a shift in) and Stevenson could come inside knowing he always had cover behind him.

Great performance from both of them.

Archived