If I'm honest we weren't even very good today

Dalstonjambo

Dalstonjambo

Always in our shadow. Wasn't very good, but we got the win. We can improve, and we need to. Thank god for H*bs and Lolderwood. But let's enjoy a nice derby win.

H*bernian, making life easy for us since 1875 :thumbsup:

Drewjambobusby

To be honest we showed flashes of what i feel we can do. Still feel 3 or 4 nil wouldn`t have been unjust as they are so poor. I am delighted with the win but cannot help feeling that with our strongest side out, todays imo wasn`t strongest, we could have seriously ripped them a new one. Novikiovas showed when he came on, what might have been acheived. Perhaps as Sergio said, the Hibs game came too soon after WHL, and wasn`t advisable to play Novi, Temps, Robinson etc. Still 3 points was badly needed and we got them and i suppose the feeling that we have a helluva good team in reserve is comforting. :thumbsup:

Always in our shadow. Wasn't very good, but we got the win. We can improve, and we need to. Thank god for H*bs and Lolderwood. But let's enjoy a nice derby win.

Really ? I thought we played nice composed football throughout. Consistency comes from repeatedly being able to do the simple things. We did that today. Okay it wasnt blood and thunder from us but if we'd had a striker on the park worthy of the name and made the right choice of final ball a couple of times we'd have stuck 4 or 5 past them without breaking sweat.

I thought we won at ease and the outcome was never in doubt, even before we scored, it was only a matter of time.

Hibs werent very good, but then, neither are 8 of the other teams in this league and todays performance level would have beaten any one of them. And that was a team with 3 or 4 changes from its last game.

I thought we started very slowly but the last 35 minutes we were excellent. I do think a more adventurous selection might have seen a bigger win, but 2-0 will do me fine. Hibs were awesomely bad.

Exactly what I've been thinking. You can see how we'll play when it comes together but it's not there yet.

As long as we try, and scrape results like we have done our last three league games (I say scrape, I mean win but not play to our potential) then it can take all the time it needs.

Agree with this think if the opposition were better we may have struggled. The passing and movement today compared with thursday was night and day!down.gif Though i'm hoping a lot of the players that started on the bench will be giving a regular start ahead of some of the players picked today!

hearts were not great. hearts were workmanlike.

hibs were so far away from competing with that, it's incredible.

if i was a hobo i would be dead by my own hand very worried.

I thought we played quite well and the passing is definitely improving. Could've been 4 or 5 if hamill and driver had cut the ball back in the second half. Comfortable game.

Jambomullins

I agree but we still should have humped them by even more. I was disappointed that Robinson, Smith and Novi never started but I can see Sergio's logic so soon after thursday.

On a side note, I thought Driver looked a step closer to his old self. He's lost a few pounds and his touch is returning by the week.

hearts were not great. hearts were workmanlike.

hibs were so far away from competing with that, it's incredible.

if i was a hobo i would be dead by my own hand very worried.

This will give you a giggle,quote from a Hobo

"What they also have are players who try twice as hard against us than other teams and refs who let them away with twice as much. We'll not beat them often until we try harder against them and refs stop cheating. I won't hold my breath.

Bollocks, could have been 5

Dalstonjambo

Bollocks, could have been 5

i never said it couldn't have been. but it was as much to do with them being bad as us being good

JamboAberdeen

Comfortable victory despite sign of "under construction".

Thought Hibs was playing more hoofball than us.

Probably Smith and Robinson could have feature the game had we not have Kello/Obua injuries.

All roads lead to Gorgie

We did what had to do and deserved another two or three to be honest. The best work came from Hamill, Blackie and the tireless work of Stevo and to a lesser extent Eliott upfront. Driver is getting there too which is pleasing and Novi looks ready to up his game :thumbsup:

Harry Palmer

Think patience will be required.

When we were passing it about at the back, there was some discontent among the fans as it wasn't being played forward quicker (especially 1st half). No point in just aimlessly punting the ball up the park.

Of course other sides will try and put us under pressure whilst we do this but if there isn't an outball ie some movement ahead, then it's better to keep the ball as long as possible.

Although, the players should be able to adapt to what Paulo wants. 2nd half was better though especially down the right.

For a team that has just changed their manager and is now adopting a very different style of play than before, I thought that we looked very composed and self assured.

:thumbsup:

Was not that impressed with the football Hearts were playing.

Was quite impressed with what we were trying to play.

The Area for improvement is awareness - once the team have a better feel of the off-the-ball movement, it will be easier to build attacks and keep the ball on the deck. One too many stray passes showed how this was lacking today.

Add - we were missing Temps and Rudi, two important play makers. Add those two to Novo and Driver and it gets quite interesting. If Novo can build his game up, could be a very interesting player, wonderful turn today where he left the defender standing and turned the ball inside the penalty box. Probably the highlight of the afternoon as it showed skill, awareness and a great tactical mind in the making.

Potentially, we could have something this season. Keep it on the deck, resist the temptation for bad habits and let the skillful players shine.

I love Hearts.

Deodato

I agree but we still should have humped them by even more. I was disappointed that Robinson, Smith and Novi never started but I can see Sergio's logic so soon after thursday.

On a side note, I thought Driver looked a step closer to his old self. He's lost a few pounds and his touch is returning by the week.

Driver had his best game for two years today !!!

Playing from the back like that they need to work on the passing and making space - one or two bomb scare moments. Over all though, the passing and movement was quite good - early signs for Sergio as manager/coach are very good.

Playing from the back like that they need to work on the passing and making space - one or two bomb scare moments. Over all though, the passing and movement was quite good - early signs for Sergio as manager/coach are very good.

I think when you consider that we had 5.....YES 5 !!!! footballers on the bench who are more talented footballers than what we started the game with, then we look in pretty good shape

Dalstonjambo

I think when you consider that we had 5.....YES 5 !!!! footballers on the bench who are more talented footballers than what we started the game with, then we look in pretty good shape

this i agree with. i think we had 4 or 5 players on the bench that would have improved us today. this was my original point. we have a lot in reserve. we didnt need it today.

First of all, well done to all concerned. The order of the day was three points, and it was duly achieved. We were poor in the first half against what must be one of the worst Hibs teams ever to visit Edinburgh and were lucky to be ahead at half-time in my view. In the second half we upped the pace and they really struggled against us - it could and should have been at least four. One of these days we really have to take advantage of how poor they are and go for double figures. But a win's a win, and victory against them is something you can never tire of.

Considering how often you get the European hangover the week-end after a Thursday game, Paulo got his selection just right, made some changes rather than playing all 11 WHL heroes.

It's also very obvious that the team are trying to play to a pattern set down by the manager (some fans will just have to get used to that; I could get used to two-goal derby wins, just as I could get used to three SPL games without conceding a goal).

Not sure where the not very good idea comes from but I was at a different match.

Considering how often you get the European hangover the week-end after a Thursday game, Paulo got his selection just right, made some changes rather than playing all 11 WHL heroes.

It's also very obvious that the team are trying to play to a pattern set down by the manager (some fans will just have to get used to that; I could get used to two-goal derby wins, just as I could get used to three SPL games without conceding a goal).

Not sure where the not very good idea comes from but I was at a different match.

Have to say I was a bit worried and a tad disappointed by the team selection today and I really thought he was taking a risk reverting to a, shall we say, more workmanlike, midfield, however it was a team put out to control the game rather than try and blind them with football flare( that word again) and, in hindsight, PS got it bang on the money.

We've suddenly got 17 or 18 players who could start a game without weakening the team in any area and thats down to the system we're playing IMO.

Buffalo Bill

Good enough for one hard working performance, two goals and three points.

Early days in Mr Sergio's tenure and only his first Edinburgh derby.

P.S This decade, we've played seven derbies, winning five and drawing two.

Harry Palmer

First of all, well done to all concerned. The order of the day was three points, and it was duly achieved. We were poor in the first half against what must be one of the worst Hibs teams ever to visit Edinburgh and were lucky to be ahead at half-time in my view. In the second half we upped the pace and they really struggled against us - it could and should have been at least four. One of these days we really have to take advantage of how poor they are and go for double figures. But a win's a win, and victory against them is something you can never tire of.

:spoton:

Dalstonjambo

my point exactly. we could have made it very memorable today

Thought we could have had four or five comfortably today, but what we were crying out for in the first half was someone to drop deep from midfield to take the ball from Zal or Webster. I'm all for us trying a passing game and not just aimlessly punting it forward but too often we were passing it along the back four without a good option dropping back from midfield. Hopefully once the players are used to the system we'll see this happening.

Solid performances from Danny, Hamill, Elliott and Stevo, we're up to eight unbeaten against them, let's kick on and get another 22 in a row!

Archived