16 fags.

i8hibsh

I thought this was a description of the hubz 12th man.

:lol:

Nearly the same as me, though I thought it was the Hibs team line-up and subs.

Ray Winstone

Anyone know why pub vending machines sell 16 and not 20?

This is a pretty stupid question - It doesn't take a lot of thinking to work it out, even for you! It really shouldn't take a thread on kickback to find out.

:vrface:

so they make more money, as i assume they charge the same price for 16 as a shop charges for 20

Usually charge more from a machine.

Say What Again

Usually charge more from a machine.

The fag machine in my local is ?8 for 16. I assume that's probably across the board.

I was in Fuerteventura 2 weeks ago, and 20 Marlboro was ?2. Unknown brands were cheaper still, the equivalent of about ?1.40 for 20.

<_<

The fag machine in my local is ?8 for 16. I assume that's probably across the board.

I was in Fuerteventura 2 weeks ago, and 20 Marlboro was ?2. Unknown brands were cheaper still, the equivalent of about ?1.40 for 20.

<_<

Yup. Brought back 200 Lucky Strike from Tenerife for ?16 a few weeks back. Not that i'm supporting ridiculous taxation but if they were those prices in Scotland I doubt many would live past 30.

This is a pretty stupid question - It doesn't take a lot of thinking to work it out, even for you! It really shouldn't take a thread on kickback to find out.

:vrface:

aw dude why do u have to start the abuse?what a [Mod Edit].

Obviously money but there is another reason.

BoJack Horseman

More money. More packets in the machine.

thats made funnier because of the mod edit.

chester copperpot

Because they can.

They now sell 16'ers (is that the term) in petrol stations as well. Saw a wifie get 16 at the Shell garage in Kirkintilloch.

They now sell 16'ers (is that the term) in petrol stations as well. Saw a wifie get 16 at the Shell garage in Kirkintilloch.

You no thinkin about 14's? There are 3 brands of 14's in Costco. :)

chester copperpot

You no thinkin about 14's? There are 3 brands of 14's in Costco. :)

Aye, mibbee I am.

Wasn't paying that much attention to the number.

Ray Winstone

:arry:

Temper, temper.

What a fecking stupid question :facepalm: I'm off to start a thread about why food costs more out a petrol garage than a supermarket.

:Vlad-Stupid:

What a fecking stupid question :facepalm: I'm off to start a thread about why food costs more out a petrol garage than a supermarket.

:Vlad-Stupid:

It's because it tastes nicer. Specially the unleaded stuff.

everyone seems to have missed I8's comment at #10. he seems to be suggesting there is another reason besides profit margins... which he appears to be intimating that he already knows the answer to.

there isn't likes.

as an aside... anyone else old enough to remember the vending m/c's that dispensed 10 packs? some even used to contain a few pence change underneath the wrapper.

those were the days. now it's a mark-up of approximately ?2.50 (inc. the robbed tabs).

everyone seems to have missed I8's comment at #10. he seems to be suggesting there is another reason besides profit margins... which he appears to be intimating that he already knows the answer to.

there isn't likes.

as an aside... anyone else old enough to remember the vending m/c's that dispensed 10 packs? some even used to contain a few pence change underneath the wrapper.

those were the days. now it's a mark-up of approximately ?2.50 (inc. the robbed tabs).

I didnt bother reading the thread as I guessed it would be full of people calling him an :Vlad-Stupid:

Seriously, what other reason could it be :facepalm:

I didnt bother reading the thread as I guessed it would be full of people calling him an :Vlad-Stupid:

Seriously, what other reason could it be :facepalm:

i suppose (only a slight supposition mind) you could argue that a packet which is polished off 20% faster could lead to a further machine purchase at daylight robbery rates, thus making even more phree munney.

and some brands are sold in 18s. thus evening up the margin made on each unit sold.

The Real Maroonblood

Smoking is for losers so they charge any price that mugs will pay for them.

:rolleyes:

Napoleon  Wilson

Because they are absolute cocks. They usually charge you the price of 20 too :down:

Napoleon  Wilson

From October you wont be able to buy cigs from machines in Scotland. Enjoy the 16 while you can.

http://news.scotsman.com/politics/Tobacco-industry-loses-bid-to.6767566.jp

That is another shocking victory for the health nazi's. They might as well just go the whole hog and make smoking tobacco illegal. Cigarettes are so bloody expensive these days anyhow. People are buying really shitty brands that i have never even heard of because old staple brands like L&B, Regal etc are too dear. I could no longer afford to buy to two 20 decks a week so had to switch back to rollys, like when i was a student.

the government can't possibly roll back the taxation on cigarettes. it's a double edged sword effect as well.

more taxation = people encouraged to give up = less of a drain on the NHS.

more taxation = more revenue for the treasury = more chance of the NHS getting more money to tackle smoking related illness.

i'm a smoker and i'm all for a packet going up to a tenner. i would just smoke less.

The profit margin in fags are absolutely abhorrent.

Example:

200 Lambert and Butler in Costco(naturally) costs ?61.37 inc VAT.

These Harry Wraggs are flashed at ?6.43 So you can only sell em at that price.

Profit for shopkeeper - ?2.93.

Costco, incidentally don't make a profit on cigarettes. All tax.

Ray Winstone

That is another shocking victory for the health nazi's. They might as well just go the whole hog and make smoking tobacco illegal. Cigarettes are so bloody expensive these days anyhow. People are buying really shitty brands that i have never even heard of because old staple brands like L&B, Regal etc are too dear. I could no longer afford to buy to two 20 decks a week so had to switch back to rollys, like when i was a student.

Thinly veiled 'I can't tap up my mates for fags anymore because I don't like their cheap brands' type post in my opinion.

Napoleon  Wilson

Thinly veiled 'I can't tap up my mates for fags anymore because I don't like their cheap brands' type post in my opinion.

All other brands are cheap and lesser to mine because im so amazingly cool i smoke Camel Light baby. Christian Bale's Smug Face.

Tommy Wiseau

Never mind all that, i8 - we've now established the answer is money + able to cram more packs in the machine.

The big question is... when TF did you get your name changed back??! Have I missed the "Calderwood sacked" thread?

(If this has been discussed a link will do :smuggy: )

Never mind all that, i8 - we've now established the answer is money + able to cram more packs in the machine.

The big question is... when TF did you get your name changed back??! Have I missed the "Calderwood sacked" thread?

(If this has been discussed a link will do :smuggy: )

I asked the other day but never checked to see if he answered. Poor show IMO :down:

Tommy Wiseau

what's this about more packets in the machine? the packets are the same size likes.

:lol:

Surely a 16 pack is smaller than a 20 deck?? They're no just leaving a gap for four beaks in the box!? :lol:

Surely a 16 pack is smaller than a 20 deck?? They're no just leaving a gap for four beaks in the box!? :lol:

same size packets. specially filled for vending machine selling thereof.

Back when I smoked it was just a gap :lol:

I read something once (not online, so I don't have a link) that seems like a plausible explanation - but I can't say for sure that it's true.

Cigarette brands have different prices - and those differences were more pronounced years ago when tobacco taxes were lower and made up a lower proportion of the retail price. In those days, it was too complicated and expensive to set up vending machines with different prices for different brands. So after some discussions between the vending machine suppliers and the tobacco industry, they developed the practice of selling at a fixed price but putting fewer cigarettes in the packs for more expensive brands. Some packs would have less than 20 cigarettes, depending on the difference between the fixed price on the machine and the normal retail price for 20. It wasn't just 16, you might get 17, 18 or 19 depending on the price.

That's where the practice started (so the article said). Nowadays, it's not necessary to do that because the technology in vending machines is more modern - but I guess the industry has seen a chance to make an extra buck and is taking it.

It seems to be a largely UK phenomenon. In many countries, there are legal restrictions on the number of cigarettes in a packet. For example, you can't sell cigarettes in packs of less than 20 in Ireland, and even when you could they had to be sold in multiples of 10.

Anyway, the above might not actually be the real story, but I did read it in an article somewhere ages ago.

Tommy Wiseau

:rofl:

That has blown my mind. I want measurements done under scientific conditions :lol:

So do they just rattle around in the packs then? :rofl:

:rofl:

That has blown my mind. I want measurements done under scientific conditions :lol:

So do they just rattle around in the packs then? :rofl:

not a great deal of rattlage to be fair. a full 20 are fairly tightly packed in.

Im old enough to remember 5 decks :(

certain ethnically diverse general stores would sell you 2 for 10p when i was at school.

Carl Spackler

Not a smoker myself but banning vending machines as ridiculous if you ask me. The extra tax on cigarettes should pay for the extra burden on the NHS fair enough but how do you define that?

Anyway, I remember a Californian patron telling me I shouldn't work in a bar with people smoking when I was working in a bar (Scottish) with people smoking. I took no heed of his Californian nonsense. That was 13 or 14 years ago. Well their way of thinking spread to Ireland, then us, then England. Well look at what the New Yorkers got up to 5 years ago http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/06/nyregion/06fat.html. And look what the BBC reported last year http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8622723.stm.

What's next?

Seems like a good idea. That stuff is a killer and there are plenty of alternatives. They should shut down Kraft as their stuff is loaded with trans fats.

J.T.F.Robertson

certain ethnically diverse general stores would sell you 2 for 10p when i was at school.

Thrupenny singles. :ninja:

When I smoked, my brother used to say, everytime he saw me light up,"only fags smoke fags"! I eventually quit, and a few years later he started smoking. Now everytime I see him light up I ask, "what was it you used to tell me about fags"? :verysmug:

Anyway, I'm gonna try and sleep now.

Goodnight JKB

X

Archived