Management Styles

scott_jambo

If we discount the brief period where Vlad really splashed the cash with Burley, we have had 3 long term managers in the last 10 years or so.

Levein

Csaba

Jefferies.

When Levein was in place, our team were fit, dedicated and achieved good european runs. As soon as he leaves we get the chat of "Levein's football was shite to watch"

When Csaba was in place, our team were disciplined positionally in the first season, but lost their way massively second season, justifiably we all said that "Csaba's football was shite to watch"

When Jefferies was installed as manager, we all talked about how amazing it will be to play with old fashioned wingers just like the JJ style, very direct and exciting. As soon as JJ is emptied, we get the chat of "but JJ's football was shite to watch"

Now Paulo is here, and yes he is trying to put his stamp on the team and his own style, but so far the football has been "shite to watch".

I've came to the conclusion, that Hearts are in the main, totally shite to watch.

Luckily, I like the atmosphere at Tynecastle, the pubs and football in general, I'l even go down to the local park and watch some of the amateur lads play because it's always good to see a live sporting contest.

So, a small warning to people on here and at Tynecastle who think Paulo is going to usher in a new era of continental football - we don't have the players for it and we never will. Hearts will always be chronic to watch so just deal with it and enjoy the little success that comes our way.

Always thought that Levein got a bit too much stick. It was not always great to watch, but we did play some good stuff at times.

JJ from about 96 to the summer of 98 side played some great football. The 97/98 season was a real high - we simply steamrollered sides, before running out of gas in the last lap. What makes that a bit hard to take (as much as a great effort as is was) is if I remember right, both the OF stumbled towards the finishing line.

What is great football though? I would think that if you went on forums up and down the land and asked about the last 15 years, many would give a similar reply to what is said in the OP.

I can guarantee you, if we were playing lovely football and finishing 6th, this place would be asking for changes to be made.

Getintaethem

We weren't chronic to watch in 2006 or in the early months of JJ reign when Kyle was fit. When Levien was there it wasn't chronic but wasn't exactly pleasing on the eye either. It was chronic under Csaba without doubt. The thing is if we had a couple of decent centre midfielders we would probably be quite entertaining under Sergio.

I really hope PS gets time to harness his beliefs on the team and bring in his own players so he can be judged properly. But will he just be a coach?

Thing is, there was signs of good management on Thursday. He seemed to get a reaction at Half time and we saw Hearts put in a good opening 10, 15 in that half.

There`s no doubt JJ was a good motivator and i sincerely hope PS shows a greater hand over time and it was justified to rid the club of a legend...

Levein's team was based on a solid defence. In his day, your heart didn't miss a beat every time the opposition crossed the half way line. I'd have been very happy with some of that on Thursday.

Most criticisms of Levein on here are ill-informed.

Under Levein we beat a very good Braga and it was his players that won in Basle.

I think with the way he left us, it helps soften the blow if we convince ourselves that the football was crap to watch.

I really hope PS gets time to harness his beliefs on the team and bring in his own players so he can be judged properly. But will he just be a coach?

Thing is, there was signs of good management on Thursday. He seemed to get a reaction at Half time and we saw Hearts put in a good opening 10, 15 in that half.

There`s no doubt JJ was a good motivator and i sincerely hope PS shows a greater hand over time and it was justified to rid the club of a legend...

And the other thing is we saw sign's of a terrible manager,the first half set up was shocking and should have been changed after Spurs first goal,you don't wait for another 2 goals and 15 mins to go before changing things,okay 10-15 mins into the second half was okay,hoof ball,but then Spurs had enough and just waltzed up the park and scored to bring us back down a peg or two,not impressed at all.

As for the "under Levein the football was shite" thing,it's quite obvious most of the posters saying that didn't attend games then,CL had us playing very much to our strengths and we did manage to take a right good few scalps along the way.

And the other thing is we saw sign's of a terrible manager,the first half set up was shocking and should have been changed after Spurs first goal,you don't wait for another 2 goals and 15 mins to go before changing things,okay 10-15 mins into the second half was okay,hoof ball,but then Spurs had enough and just waltzed up the park and scored to bring us back down a peg or two,not impressed at all.

As for the "under Levein the football was shite" thing,it's quite obvious most of the posters saying that didn't attend games then,CL had us playing very much to our strengths and we did manage to take a right good few scalps along the way.

People just choose what they want to remember mate. Once Levein had time to get his own players in, his first couple of teams were decent enough to watch. It maybe got a bit tedious nearing his exit from Hearts but in a nutshell he was good for Hearts.....

Johanes de Silentio

Levein was constantly having to cope with cuts to the playing squad/budget - as a pragmatist, he realised that getting results was the most important thing.

JJ's class of '98 were great to watch - because he had the players.

Paulo Sergio is trying to get us to play passing football from the back, and through the midfield - a lot of our fans won't have the patience for this.

Paulo's style (after 3 games :blink: ) reminds me of Fulham under Jean Tigana - neat and tidy football that never went anywhere.

He needs two things: - time, to see if he can get our players playing the way he wants, and; better players, if possible.

It's all about the midfield, imo - we'd need to go with guys like Taouil, Obua, and Skacel, rather than work-horses like Mrowiec - but who then can be trusted to protect the back four?

I've said it before - it's all about players - we need better players.

Merely my opinion.

Clerry Jambo

Levein was constantly having to cope with cuts to the playing squad/budget - as a pragmatist, he realised that getting results was the most important thing.

Paulo Sergio is trying to get us to play passing football from the back, and through the midfield - a lot of our fans won't have the patience for this.

Paulo's style (after 3 games :blink: ) reminds me of Fulham under Jean Tigana - neat and tidy football that never went anywhere.

He needs two things: - time, to see if he can get our players playing the way he wants, and; better players, if possible.

It's all about the midfield, imo - we'd need to go with guys like Taouil, Obua, and Skacel, rather than work-horses like Mrowiec - but who then can be trusted to protect the back four?

Merely my opinion.

.....and a correct opinion :thumbsup:

Merely my opinion.

I'd agree with most of that and I'm happy to give Paulo time. He seems no better or worse than managers we have in the past. We still have a small band of fair weather fans that think Hearts = Burley's ten match run when in fact that couple of months was nothing more than an anomaly amongst decades of average football.

Levein had us playing good football but at the same time when we needed to - we ground out results.

Csaba's main focus was having a rock solid defence but he also gave a lot of freedom to Aguiar and when it worked we played well.

The second season it didn't work and our football was not pretty.

JJ started us back onto playing good fast attacking football. Players like Suso seemed reinvigorated.

In his "first" full season JJ adapted to a 4-5-1 because he had been given Skacel.

He fully used 2 wingers and gave Skacel a free role.

With Kyle doing all the dirty work- we played good fast attacking football.

When Kyle got injured, the rest found it difficult to continue that.

PS seems to want to play a slow patient passing build up.

Loads of the top teams like to pass it around the back, but they up the tempo as soon as they go forward.

We haven't done this yet - we need to be able to for his passing game to work.

Levein had us playing good football but at the same time when we needed to - we ground out results.

Csaba's main focus was having a rock solid defence but he also gave a lot of freedom to Aguiar and when it worked we played well.

The second season it didn't work and our football was not pretty.

JJ started us back onto playing good fast attacking football. Players like Suso seemed reinvigorated.

In his "first" full season JJ adapted to a 4-5-1 because he had been given Skacel.

He fully used 2 wingers and gave Skacel a free role.

With Kyle doing all the dirty work- we played good fast attacking football.

When Kyle got injured, the rest found it difficult to continue that.

PS seems to want to play a slow patient passing build up.

Loads of the top teams like to pass it around the back, but they up the tempo as soon as they go forward.We haven't done this yet - we need to be able to for his passing game to work.

Trouble is we have we got the players to do this?.

It would take several seasons for PS to evolve the personnel/team style to achieve this style

Long time patience required.

....and Shabba hud nae strikers :whistling:

This is a very important point. I still can't believe we went so long - from Velicka's transfer until Kyle and Elliott came along - trying to get by with the likes of Clum, Mole, Nade and Witteveen in the striking positions. JJ certainly energised the squad for a few games in his first half-season back - notably the derbies - but in the main we were still pretty toothless. Last season we looked as if we actually meant business up front until KK's injury.

Archived