The West Memphis Three

Freebird

I'm not sure how many people will be familiar with this story, and if you're not you should watch an excellent documentary entitled Paradise Lost.

Basically, in 1994 in West Memphis, Tennessee, 3 young boys were brutally murdered and left in a creek. Due to the immense pressure from the residents, the police acted swiftly and arrested 3 slightly older teenage boys.

The film documents the story from the very start, including the court case. It emerges that the evidence for the 3 arrested boys is very flimsy, and reason behind their arrest was they wore black T-shirts, listened to Metallica and painted their fingernails black. During the court case there are numerous other suspects that get brought up but are dismissed offhand even though there is more evidence linking all these other people than the 3 boys who have now been in prison since 1994. A sequel to the film appeared a few years later called Paradise Lost: Revalations, which showed some evidence linking one of the murdered boys step father that was pretty disturbing.

Well, it looks like the 3 of them could be getting released today.There is also a third documentary due out soon, here is the trailer

It's a horrible but fascinating story, and after watching the films and getting to know the people imprisoned, you can't help but just feel utterly defenseless for them. I urge you all to watch the films.

They have just been released! It seems a strange one though; they had to enter a guilty plea maintaining their innocence and the case isn't to be investigated any further. I don't understand it. The prosecution have basically admitted they didn't do it and released them, but technically they're still guilty for the murders in the eyes of the law. What a shame on the families knowing the real killers won't ever be found, or even looked for. Anyone able to shed some light on that ruling?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/19/west-memphis-3-to-be-freed/

18 years late, but the right result.

Locking up 3 young laddies for wearing black and listening to metal. Outrageous.

Archived