Why We Can Still Hold Our Heads High

djf

Nobody expected us to compete. From the minute we were unseeded for the playoff round we faced a massive uphill struggle. To then draw probably the strongest team available the writing was on the wall.

Until the Scottish co-efficient improves a lengthy campaign in Europe for anybody except the Old Firm is nigh on impossible.

However the reason the co-efficient is so dreadful is NOT down to Hearts. When we have played teams we are favourites to beat, Siroki, Zeljeznicar, PAKS we have went out and did our job over two legs. When was the last time we got beaten against a team in Europe that we should have beat. Perhaps Ferencvaros who aren't exactly mugs in European terms.

Unfortunately other clubs in Scotland are not even able to hold up this end of the bargain. Motherwell, Hibs, Dundee United have all been horsed out without a whimper against sides they really could have beaten in the past few years. Whilst this continues to happen then Scottish teams will face an uphill struggle in the early rounds of Europe.

There is no point comparing the SPL to the Premiership. No team in Scotland outwith the Old Firm on their day can possibly hope to compete. However to avoid playing these huge teams we need to be expecting every team in Scotland to be disposing of the Lithuanian and Swedish teams which are feasibly beatable on a far more consistent basis. Even the Old Firm who are supposedly carrying Scottish football have been letting us down in this regard recently.

NextGenerationJambo

the OF are pish at the minute! rangers look awful and celtic don't look like the same side as last year.

Too many down in dumps, Sky throw zillions at epl, yes there were things we could have done better but we need to get to the "standard" to seriousely challange the OF first then worry re europe. Even the Eurosport commentaters said "You really cant blame Hearts". Hey we got humped, we will get over it, hopefully this will press Vlad into signings, we have to take something positive out of this and that should be to strive forward not sit and mope. What would have been the score had Spurs played Paksi?

Johanes de Silentio

Nobody expected us to compete.

Nobody expected us to win, but we have to expect that we will always complete, surely.

heartsfc_fan

Too many down in dumps, Sky throw zillions at epl, yes there were things we could have done better but we need to get to the "standard" to seriousely challange the OF first then worry re europe. Even the Eurosport commentaters said "You really cant blame Hearts". Hey we got humped, we will get over it, hopefully this will press Vlad into signings, we have to take something positive out of this and that should be to strive forward not sit and mope. What would have been the score had Spurs played Paksi?

Almost forgot about Paski...

God, they must've been really ****! :lol:

Nobody expected us to win, but we have to expect that we will always compete, surely.

Exactly. Teams from lower leagues compete in the FA cup, teams from smaller countries compete in Europe.

Teams stop competing when their central defenders stand and watch their opponents attackers stroll past them, giving them all the time and space in the world.

NextGenerationJambo

Nobody expected us to win, but we have to expect that we will always complete, surely.

DEFINITELY.

we knew tottenham were better so our plan should have been to unsettle them, try to stop them playing and fight for every last header and 50/50.

Perhaps if Spurs played a weakened team, didn't perform well on the night and we performed above our normal level. None of these things happened.

It wasn't really the point of the thread though.

Nail on head. :thumbsup: If we had started the game as we did at the start of the second half dont think we would have lost 2 early goals and the scoreline wouldnt have been as embarrassing. <_<

IMO you should never lose at game at Tynecastle 5 - 0 to another British team and believe me it could have been worse cos Spurs could have went up at least another of couple of gears. :(

Johanes de Silentio

Perhaps if Spurs played a weakened team, didn't perform well on the night and we performed above our normal level. None of these things happened.

Fair enough - I'm simply pointing out that your statement that 'nobody expected us to compete' is a false statement.

hearts never had a hope of winning yesterday we need to remember some of the boys in there team would walk into most top european sides bale, van der vaart and modric are exceptional playerrs i have no idea where scottish football goes from here i feel its only a matter of time until scottish teams dont even get the chance of champions league football

Fair enough - I'm simply pointing out that your statement that 'nobody expected us to compete' is a false statement.

Cheerfully withdrawn

Johanes de Silentio

This was meant to be a positive thread :(

Last night was hard, but we are Hearts, and we'll aye come back! :thumbsup:

We never had a chance in this tie but i was still disappointed in our performance.The lack of basic skills and how slow our team is,is a major worry.

Got this from another site though so it shows you what we are up against.The cost of The Spurs team that played last night.Harry has the cheek to moan about City's spending. :lol:

GOMES Heurelho 1 PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands) (06-08) ?7,000,000

WALKER Kyle 28 Sheffield United (07-09) ?3,000,000

KABOUL Younes 4 Portsmouth (01-10) ?4,000,000

DAWSON Michael 20 Nottingham Forest (01-05) ?3,500,000

ASSOU-EKOTTO Benoit 32 RC Lens (France) (07-06) ?3,500,000

LIVERMORE Jake 29 Tottenham Youth (07-07) ?0

KRANJCAR Niko 21 Portsmouth (09-09) ?2,000,000

LENNON Aaron 7 Leeds United (07-05) ?800,000

VAN DER VAART Rafael 11 Real Madrid (Spain) (08-10) ?8,000,000

BALE Gareth 3 Southampton (05-07) ?7,500,000

DEFOE Jermain 18 Portsmouth (01-09) ?15,000,000

Total cost of starting XI v Hearts ?54,300,000

Jambof3tornado

We never had a chance in this tie but i was still disappointed in our performance.The lack of basic skills and how slow our team is,is a major worry.

Got this from another site though so it shows you what we are up against.The cost of The Spurs team that played last night.Harry has the cheek to moan about City's spending. :lol:

Those prices are only what they paid. The team is worth a lot more than they paid!

Worlds apart.

It may not have been a 'weakened team' but was with our 4th choice CH (Kaboul) and our 6th and 7th choice central midfielders (after Modric Sandro Palacios JJ and Huddlesstone).

To me, that is the area Hearts needed to try and dominate. We had a winger and a kid making his second ever start at CM - that was (or should have been) our weak point on the night.

Getintaethem

It may not have been a 'weakened team' but was with our 4th choice CH (Kaboul) and our 6th and 7th choice central midfielders (after Modric Sandro Palacios JJ and Huddlesstone).

To me, that is the area Hearts needed to try and dominate. We had a winger and a kid making his second ever start at CM - that was (or should have been) our weak point on the night.

The only weak point I saw in your team last night was the keeper, unfortunatly we couldn't get near him. IMO our centre midfield isn't even good enough for SPL standard.

That's one Torres for Chelsea or an Aguero and 4-5ths of a Milner for City

Not really on the same scale I think you would agree?

Ryan Gosling

You're not getting it though. Your fourth choice centre-half cost more than our entire youth academy. Your first goalscorer cost the same as our wage budget for the entire club - including the tea ladies and the kitman.

How could we dominate?

Ryan Gosling

That's one Torres for Chelsea or an Aguero and 4-5ths of a Milner for City

Not really on the same scale I think you would agree?

But these players aren't worth that money. It's cartoon money. This is infuriating. Tottenham are one of the few clubs who don't actually "overspend" but they still spend more than the entire Scottish football league combined TEN TIMES OVER.

You're not getting it though. Your fourth choice centre-half cost more than our entire youth academy. Your first goalscorer cost the same as our wage budget for the entire club - including the tea ladies and the kitman.

How could we dominate?

Fair points fella.

But these players aren't worth that money. It's cartoon money. This is infuriating. Tottenham are one of the few clubs who don't actually "overspend" but they still spend more than the entire Scottish football league combined TEN TIMES OVER.

Another very valid point.

Our top earners are on around 75k give or take 5k a week. Chelsea and City pay theirs 150-250k a week

Ryan Gosling

Another point to add to the Tottenham money list - they also brought on Pavlyuchenko and Huddlestone, taking their team's "paid-for value" to over ?70m.

Nobody expected us to compete. From the minute we were unseeded for the playoff round we faced a massive uphill struggle. To then draw probably the strongest team available the writing was on the wall.

I did. Not over two legs, but on a European night at Tynie with the atmosphere we created, I expected a bit of fight and heart, not a bunch of sh*teb*gs hiding behind opponents. I actually can't remember a chance we created in the whole first half.

Nobody expected that.

heartsfc_fan

Another very valid point.

Our top earners are on around 75k give or take 5k a week. Chelsea and City pay theirs 150-250k a week

Our average wage is about ?4,000 :unsure:

I did. Not over two legs, but on a European night at Tynie with the atmosphere we created, I expected a bit of fight and heart, not a bunch of sh*teb*gs hiding behind opponents. I actually can't remember a chance we created in the whole first half.

Nobody expected that.

Then i'd say you were naive to the gulf in quality between the two sides. There was no question that if Spurs turned it on and took their chances the result was going to be comprehensive in their favour.

heartsfc_fan

It was three years ago. Now it's ?4.9m. Hence why I wrote ?4.9m.

Only ?4.9M now? This season? :blink:

It's went from ?10M -> 7 to -> 4.9 in the space of 3 years(?)

In today's market that team is an absolute bargain, particularly Lennon, Bale, Kranjcar and Van Der Vaart.

heartsfc_fan

Yes.

Not doubting you, but if it is the case then we are doing something good behind the scenes. Our wages are now far less than our total revenue we'd get in a season.

heartsfc_fan

I agree, though I do think we can still get better quality for what we're paying. Motherwell's wage bill is ?1.75m and while they have nothing like the depth we do, their starting 11 is more balanced and their midfield far superior.

What is our revenue these days? About ?8m-?9m?

I think it's around ?8M (give or take a few hundred grand). We would've probably raked in near ?1M from our 2 europa ties with ticket sales and t.v money.

I agree, though I do think we can still get better quality for what we're paying. Motherwell's wage bill is ?1.75m and while they have nothing like the depth we do, their starting 11 is more balanced and their midfield far superior.

What is our revenue these days? About ?8m-?9m?

Funny how Motherwell can bring through young players that can pass a ball to at least basic standard without some state of the art training facilities.Hearts and Hibs seem to be struggling despite having great facilities.

Carl Spackler

I'm fed up hearing about wages and player values. The gulf whilst huge is not as significant as many are making out. It is man-made, EPL players financial values do not equate directly to their level of skill and ability when comparing to other leagues, the EPL relationship is exponential.

We knew Spurs were far superior. All that means is you have to deal with them in a different manner. The tactics should have been those of the underdog.

How did Greece win Euro 2004? How did Scotland beat France in 2008? How did Rangers get to the UEFA Final in the same year?

Had we lost 2-0 maybe even 3-0 or better having scored ourselves then fine, we could hold our heads high. As it is we were destroyed 5-0 and it seemed Spurs could have scored at will.

Long term our aim should be to compete on an equal footing but in the here and now a completely different approach is required.

Really saddens me to say it. Anyway, everyone else has already.

Next match please.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

If any good can come out of this, I hope it's in the fact that Sergio has said that any player that does not do what he tells them has no future at the club.

Hear, hear.

I think he got a genuine shock last night. He now realises what he has to do. Okay, a a team like Spurs will bear no resemblance to any SPL side, but he now knows that certain players were unable to step up and at least try and play a little beyond themselves which is a necessity in sport at times.

My own take on last night was that by and large most of our British players tried their best but some of our foreigners were just overawed. And only Rudi looked like a class act when he came on.

I would really like us to concentrate on youth and 'home' based players and build regardless of how long it takes and stop wasting money on overseas duds. Only Scottish players have been sold for decent money in Vlad's time, can he not see that?

I am convinced that Hearts teams of the past, of Levein, Robbo, JC, Gary Mac etc would never have been overawed by a team like Spurs. But a team with the likes of Hartley, Pressley and a genuinely quality overseas player like Skacel would have put up a better fight.

We have the third biggest budget. Surely we can improve our scouting and attract the best youngsters? We can scout for foreign dross well enough. Why do the likes of Motherwell find good young players like Hately and Murphy and we can't?

Time for youth. Time for our 'own' that a manager like Sergio can mould, if only us and Vlad would give him time.

Jimmy McNulty

hearts never had a hope of winning yesterday we need to remember some of the boys in there team would walk into most top european sides bale, van der vaart and modric are exceptional playerrs i have no idea where scottish football goes from here i feel its only a matter of time until scottish teams dont even get the chance of champions league football

This. But with punctuation.

portobellojambo1

Until the Scottish co-efficient improves a lengthy campaign in Europe for anybody except the Old Firm is nigh on impossible.

However the reason the co-efficient is so dreadful is NOT down to Hearts. When we have played teams we are favourites to beat, Siroki, Zeljeznicar, PAKS we have went out and did our job over two legs. When was the last time we got beaten against a team in Europe that we should have beat. Perhaps Ferencvaros who aren't exactly mugs in European terms.

Unfortunately other clubs in Scotland are not even able to hold up this end of the bargain. Motherwell, Hibs, Dundee United have all been horsed out without a whimper against sides they really could have beaten in the past few years. Whilst this continues to happen then Scottish teams will face an uphill struggle in the early rounds of Europe.

There is no point comparing the SPL to the Premiership. No team in Scotland outwith the Old Firm on their day can possibly hope to compete. However to avoid playing these huge teams we need to be expecting every team in Scotland to be disposing of the Lithuanian and Swedish teams which are feasibly beatable on a far more consistent basis. Even the Old Firm who are supposedly carrying Scottish football have been letting us down in this regard recently.

I would have left this sentence as "No team in Scotland can possibly hope to compete", and I'd include Rangers and Celtic in that. Both halves of the OF may have approached such a game differently at home, but that Spurs side would have been successful at either Ibrox or Parkhead as well. Scoreline might not have been as wide possibly but they, Spurs, would have done more than enough to make the tie safe at White Hart Lane. And in terms of a full season, playing even the quality in the lower to middle of the EPL no SPL side would be able to keep up with them, including the OF (and strangely enough many OF fans I've been speaking to now seem to accept this). Rangers and Celtic want into the EPL for one thing only, not to compete but to get additional finance. I think if they were forced to start in their Division 3 they would be doing very well to reach the EPL at all, ever.

Last night was average Scottish football players against professional athletes being paid accordingly. When they lined up before kick off I thought the Spurs players were all on stilts. The smallest player in their team must have been 6 foot at least, and they were all built like brick shithouse doors.

Ryan Gosling

Employment costs were ?9.1m in 2009-10, the last published accounts.

I'd suggest Borthers is aware of what our current wage bill is at.

If you read this back to yourself you will probably realise how utterly ridiculous it sounds......then again...

I'd suggest Borthers is aware of what our current wage bill is at.

I think it is very unlikely that the wage bill for the year just passed when we got to third in the league fell by 46%.

That said, perhaps Kingston and Nade were really drawing in 20k per week each.

Smith&Weston

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and reading the various threads, basically about the same thing, will tell you that you will always get someone who will not agree with you. In my opinion, the only thing positive from last night was that the Manager was provided with a clear view of the problems that our team/squad have and we will soon find out if he has got the ability to manage our club or not. The alarm bells have been there to see and the 1st half of the Rangers game apart, we have been pretty poor this season. 3v0 on sat against Aberdeen was flattering to say the least!

I for one are "not bothered" that Jeffries is no longer the manager as his time as manager was 'mixed' to say the least. We did have a great run from Oct to Dec last year and the team were playing with confidence. He also had an excellent record against Hibs which please some of our supporters, however, there were also some real awful things. The performances after the Scottish Cup exit were shocking and we had too many players out of position etc. Last night under him would not have been much different as we played as bad against Dundee Utd!

The fans maybe had high expectations last night (me included) but the annoying thing was the manner of the defeat. Our Central Defence is a major problem and we are going to lose a lot of goals unless things improve. The balance in midfield is not right, our 'promising' talent on the wings are underperforming and a 20 goal striker at Motherwell last season looks like a cart-horse and I know he is not; Against Premiership opposition you can't afford that and to be honest we were lucky it was only 5!

Tottenham will not play an easier game this season, even if they draw a League 2 team in the League Cup or FA Cup. These teams would battle hard for an hour and only maybe lose goals in the last 20 minutes when legs get tired.

It was a shameful experience last night and the players are lucky that we have fans as tolerant as we do. I certainly was not impressed!

If you read this back to yourself you will probably realise how utterly ridiculous it sounds......then again...

Sorry, nothing. Feel free to explain to my ignorant self I guess.

shaun.lawson

I think it is very unlikely that the wage bill for the year just passed when we got to third in the league fell by 46%.

That said, perhaps Kingston and Nade were really drawing in 20k per week each.

I must agree. However, if by some chance Borthers is right, that would turn the dismissal of Jim Jefferies from a strange decision into an absolutely scandalous one. Also, if he's right, any expectations our owner has of anything more than what we've largely done over the past 15 or 20 years - good year/bad year/good year/bad year - are absolutely preposterous too.

For the record in recent years Scottish teams have been knocked out by clubs like Vaduz, Sigma Oloumouc, Nordsj?lland, BK Hacken and Slasc Wroclaw. Until Scottish teams can start winning ties like these then we will always end up facing someone like Tottenham before the tournament even gets going.

I'm not saying any of those are bad teams, or that we would hump them but I would certainly fancy us to have a real chance against any of them over two legs.

Arguably we could have done better against Zagreb had we not been posted missing in the first leg but with that exception I certainly don't think Hearts have let Scottish football down on our recent forays. Which is why I find the rest of the league mocking us for last night pretty reprehensible.

The only way we can hold our heads up high is if Spurs stick 5 past United on Monday as well.

The only positive from last night was it was an extra 17K crowd at 30 quid a skull...and we probably sold a few pies as well.

It's worth noting that the Spurs wage budget will be a lot healthier than our entire transfer budget.

EDIT: By this I mean their weekly wage budget.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Gareth Bale earns 36.4m a year. Our annual wage bill is just over 9m. No shame in any of what happened.

Between the game we played at Fir Park and the game last night he earned as much as it cost to assemble our team last night.

I'm fed up hearing about wages and player values. The gulf whilst huge is not as significant as many are making out. It is man-made, EPL players financial values do not equate directly to their level of skill and ability when comparing to other leagues, the EPL relationship is exponential.

We knew Spurs were far superior. All that means is you have to deal with them in a different manner. The tactics should have been those of the underdog.

How did Greece win Euro 2004? How did Scotland beat France in 2008? How did Rangers get to the UEFA Final in the same year?

Had we lost 2-0 maybe even 3-0 or better having scored ourselves then fine, we could hold our heads high. As it is we were destroyed 5-0 and it seemed Spurs could have scored at will.

I can see your point - the only thing is we could trawl back to underdog - overdog fixtures over the last 10 years and without giving myself a migraine in proving it, am confident that in 95% of cases, the overdog will have prevailed.

The results you have highlighted are part of the 5% - we were tipped to be part of the 95% and that's what happened.

Fans were looking for another Bayern result and some old heads were whipping it up - the game is absolutely nothing like the way the game was played in the eighties in Scotland and the same goes for England...except their game has magnified 100-fold...we've gone the other way.

And the SFA and media are content with the status quo - Rangers & Celtic & Scotland have to be damaged before the penny starts to drop and I don't think we are far away from that now.

Long term our aim should be to compete on an equal footing but in the here and now a completely different approach is required.

Really saddens me to say it. Anyway, everyone else has already.

Next match please.

Gareth Bale earns 36.4m a year. Our annual wage bill is just over 9m. No shame in any of what happened.

Between the game we played at Fir Park and the game last night he earned as much as it cost to assemble our team last night.

seriously, that's what he earns???????

Archived