Great Spurs performance or dismal Hearts?

Armadale Jambo

Armadale Jambo

Is there really that big a gap in skill, touch, tactics and mobility compared to the SPL?

Based on what I saw tonight our league teams would struggle in the English league 1

Breakin' Rocks

Great Spurs performance.

Enhanced by a crap manager who does not appear to have the players on side coupled with very poor tactics. The forum elite will turn this into how good are Spurs show and what about the fans that left early.

Is there really that big a gap in skill, touch, tactics and mobility compared to the SPL?

Based on what I saw tonight our league teams would struggle in the English league 1

Based on what I saw tonight we'll struggle in the SPL.

Enhanced by a crap manager who does not appear to have the players on side coupled with very poor tactics. The forum elite will turn this into how good are Spurs show and what about the fans that left early.

meh

The Comedian

Spurs outclassed us however Sergio sunk us with the initial gameplan. Game, set, pieceboax after 12 minutes.

Had to be tighter.

spurs are a class side, we gave them too much room in the first half, but lets be honest they were bigger, faster, more skilful in every dept. only hter egoalie is on a par with scottish football standards!!

Richard Luffnan

Webster and Zally are a disgrace to the jersey !!! i expected us to get the runaround but they 2 clowns cant do the basics .

reality check lads

I sincerely hope they are not as good at WHL, this could go to double figures. Sergio needs to go for damage limitation, can we play two goalies?

Spurs never came out of training mode, they could easily take it up another 3 or 4 gears if needed. It could be really bad down there, especially if they play the kids.

BobbyJenkins

Vastly superior team meeting a team that is trying to adapt to a new way of playing. Mixed with the fact they are just physically superior in every way lol. We are light years from English football at that level but hardly surprising given the gulf in resources. Annoyed to lose so heavily but not unexpected.

Spurs were competent - Hearts were awful. Zaliukas a captain - don't make me laugh.

Webster unfit, Mrowiec turns like a tanker - make no mistake Hearts are crap.

Maybe 3rd in Scotland but still garbage. Who plays 2 small wingers (1 unfit) in a

match where we needed power in the middle and to snatch the odd break of the ball.

Ian Black - do me a favour!

Scottish football was truly put in it's place as a bunch of rabbits got scared and

froze on the night - amateurs.

A little from column A, a little from Column B. Guys like Van de vaart are lightyears ahead of anything we have or can afford. But spreading the players wide 1st half was suicidal. Better 2nd half when pressing higher up the park, but they are a Champions League quality team slumming it.

The physical difference was frightening as well.

Static central halves for us but what would've happened if it was any other spl team.... Their movement is world class...

Jeez they played a full strength team..

Out of our depth.. Good learning experience though

Vastly superior team meeting a team that is trying to adapt to a new way of playing. Mixed with the fact they are just physically superior in every way lol. We are light years from English football at that level but hardly surprising given the gulf in resources. Annoyed to lose so heavily but not unexpected.

But nothings changed :unsure:

Reality check - the result reflected the resources of both Clubs . Gareth Bale is worth the Hearts team and deabt alone!

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

the fans that left early are a disgrace.

a crap manager who doesn't have the players onside? are you really sure of that? sounds like a knee jerk reaction to me whistling.gif

Reality check - the result reflected the resources of both Clubs . Gareth Bale is worth the Hearts team and deabt alone!

Double probably.

Spurs were good

We were very poor mainly thanks to our gung ho team selection which left us extremely exposed

Based on what exactly? Seriously mate, away and bile yir heid and make stupid soup if this isnt a wind-up.

As said by CB on the other thread, Thats a ?100m+ team vs ?2m at most. 2005-6 aside we have been mediocre for years, we need a proper departure from what we are used to if we want to go forward. If anything, tonight is a positive. It exposed the weaknesses for all to see. At the risk of sounding Hobo-esque, give PS a few months to stamp his authority down and get us playing his way. Until then, keep daft comments like yours to either passandmove.net, edinburghhobo.scotsman.com or www.facebook.com/kickbackisforarseholes

xx

Malinga the Swinga

Stayed till the end, and no disgrace to lose to Spurs. They were a class above any side that we meet in the SPL, and with players like Van Dr Vaart, bale, Defoe, Lennon, their pace and movement was too much for us.

Guys like Stevenson stuck in, but Black and Adrian were just like fish out of water. Don't think we will come back in 2nd leg as 6 is probably beyond us. :whistling:

I'm not sure any other team in Scotland would have played 442 against spurs. stupidly attacking formation against a much better team

Big_Hearts_Runner

Motherwell & Dundee Utd would have put on a better performance (Both of whom have beaten us this season). But Spurs looked V good, be interesting to see how they compare to Man United on Monday. The early goal gave it to them.

The start of tonight and since the draw is what it's all about we need to get 3rd again!

'Hearts will be champions of Europe in 10 years' time,' the majority shareholder tells the BBC's Frontline Scotland. 'They will never lose 5-0 to Barcelona or Chelsea or any other club. I have said I will be the champion' - Vladimir Romanov, 30th November 2005

THink Sergio must be under pressure now, ok Spurs were immense but at 0-3 I think he should have got the team to close shop a bit.

BobbyJenkins

But nothings changed :unsure:

Thats my point, hes only been in the job two weeks, you cant judge us against Tottenham.

Malinga the Swinga

Motherwell & Dundee Utd would have put on a better performance (Both of whom have beaten us this season). But Spurs looked V good, be interesting to see how they compare to Man United on Monday. The early goal gave it to them.

The start of tonight and since the draw is what it's all about we need to get 3rd again!

dundee Utd had their chance and got pumped by a lesser team, and then conceded 5 to celtic. Motherwell had a chance last year and got pumped by, if I remember, a small Danish or Norwegian side, so hardly think they would be any good.

Spurs humped Inter last year and won away to AC Milan, yet we get upset about losing. face it, they are light years ahead of us, and any other team in the SPL.

Stevo seemed to be the only one who gave his all tonight. There was a lot of strolling at the back. We have to sort out central defence, grainger and hammil seem like they would be decent if only Zak and Webster could do the simple things right.

ernie winchester

Transition? I think if JJ was still in charge, we would've got stuck 'right intae them', prevented their (much) better players from playing, flooded the midfield and maybe got a result, or, more likely, a narrow defeat. A load of yeallow cards and possibly a red, but no complete humping! That's how we do it here at club and national level. Intae thum! Batter them!

Sergio, however, wants us to play football... from the back and all that. But we were playing a far superior footballing team with far superior players, who play in a far superior league and who are used to playing... football. We never had a chance! Our only chance was the good old Scottish, "intae thum" and hope for some luck.

However, don't write Paulo off yet. Two weeks in the job, trying to play football... it may pay off eventually. It's a transition period which may lead to us being the best footballing team in the SPL... if it works... Maybe this time next year... as Delboy says.

Or am I just grasping at straws due to the pain of tonight?

after tonight there is one positive maybe our owner will realise you actually need talent to compete

Their pace, movement, touch and passing was phenominal.

They'd have pissed all over any SPL side tonight.

ernie winchester

Don't think we will come back in 2nd leg as 6 is probably beyond us. :whistling:

:down: ..... defeatist! ....... :teehee:

hearts_crazy

Come on guys, stiff upper lip, it's only half time, we can score 6 at WHL nae bother, Spurs are shite, (no, not really).

I'm going to stick my neck out here and suggest that perhaps it may be true that Spurs are a wee tad better than Hearts.

Seriously is anybody remotely shocked that we got a severe doing tonight? I knew we would get horsed as soon as I found out we were playing them. I'm just glad the final whistle went when it did, the only problem is that I think it will be even more humiliating down there.

OUr tactics in the first half were simply ridiculous, we could all see after 5 minutes it was going to lead to disaster, yet Sergio waited until half time before he changed it. Too little too late, we should have been nipping round their ankles from the get go. We gave them all the time in the World to do whatever the **** they wanted to us. Never mind Spurs, if we play like that v any team in the SPL we will be in danger of conceding goals galore.

Spare a thought for me BTW, I live through the West, I got a text off a ******* Murderwell fan after the third went in slagging me off, canny wait until I get to work tomorrow.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Given the results of the gruesomes, I think it's a reflection of how truly bad Scottish football is.

Sums it up perfectly. Couldn't get near the ball.

We showed them too much respect in the 1st half. The start of the 2nd we played with a bit of passion, but too little too late. As Alfie Conn said at half time, we should have been "right in their face", instead we stood off them and got punished.

It's a pity we got this game at this time, when the manager is only been in the job for a few weeks.

Spurs are a fantastic team, but we let them have too much time on the ball.

Tottenham were never out of second gear tonight, it's was more a training match tonight than anything... We stood off and let them play but had we tried to get stuck in they could have lifted their game and they could have been equally physical! A learning curve but let's concentrate on Sunday now and get a much needed win to lift the team!!

The Mighty Thor

The difference in basic fitness and athleticism is frightening.

It raises the question about the level of fitness and training at SPL level as some of the Spurs players barely broke sweat while we had guys who looked a breath from a coronary.

Skill levels and finances are one thing basic fitness, diet and attitude towards conditioning are something else entirely. Maybe pies, pints and Ching don't make the perfect SPL player?

Thing is Mr bones, if we had played 451 and gone a goal or two down early you could have said we were to negative and never gave it a go. They were faster, stronger, bigger and better everywhere.

What did people really expect? Some idiot near me spent the first 30 mins shouting at players to 'get the boot in'...we couldn't get close enough to them to pull their jerseys never mind put in a meaningfull tackle.

I've not played at that level but a few times I've played teams were every player on the opposition is better and its so hard. When a team passes and controls the ball as well as spurs did tonight its almost impossible.

It does highlight the fact that we don't have very good players, compared to a EPL team, but I would imagen van Der vaart might earn in a week the same as our entire first team squad...and if he doesn't I'm quite sure their to 2 earners will.

'Hearts will be champions of Europe in 10 years' time,' the majority shareholder tells the BBC's Frontline Scotland. 'They will never lose 5-0 to Barcelona or Chelsea or any other club. I have said I will be the champion' - Vladimir Romanov, 30th November 2005

THink Sergio must be under pressure now, ok Spurs were immense but at 0-3 I think he should have got the team to close shop a bit.

4 years to go ;)

Transition? I think if JJ was still in charge, we would've got stuck 'right intae them', prevented their (much) better players from playing, flooded the midfield and maybe got a result, or, more likely, a narrow defeat. A load of yeallow cards and possibly a red, but no complete humping! That's how we do it here at club and national level. Intae thum! Batter them!

Sergio, however, wants us to play football... from the back and all that. But we were playing a far superior footballing team with far superior players, who play in a far superior league and who are used to playing... football. We never had a chance! Our only chance was the good old Scottish, "intae thum" and hope for some luck.

However, don't write Paulo off yet. Two weeks in the job, trying to play football... it may pay off eventually. It's a transition period which may lead to us being the best footballing team in the SPL... if it works... Maybe this time next year... as Delboy says.

Or am I just grasping at straws due to the pain of tonight?

see post #24

put it this way...if we har Mourinho in charge of our squad, would we have gotten the same result? Yes. I think we would have. It was a horrible draw, but we did get the chance after all. Now, let's concentrate on this seasons domestic campaign, enjoy next week as a day out (and dare i say it, learn a lesson or two?)

graeme

Brian Whittaker's Tache

We were outclassed by a team quite literally from a different league. Didnt help that we lost two goals looking for offsides rather than playing to the whistle.

Witness the quality on show tonight from Spurs and see who we have that would even get near their starting 11?

Walkers tackle on Temps in the box summmed it up for me! Different class.

hearts_crazy

True, including Rangers and Celtic, but the fact still remains that we let them do it, in the first half at any rate, due to naive tactics. Not sure any other SPL side would be arrogant (or is that stupid) enough to think they could just play their normal game against Spurs mind.

It reminds me greatly of our last European ext, we got taken apart in the first leg by allowing Zagreb acres of space. Hopefully the second leg will be the same sort of gutsy performance as we did v them, but i won't hold my breAth

Spurs were excellent and had other gears to shift into.

We did not start great either.

Spurs can afford to spend millions on players ti sit on the bench, we can afford average bosmans. Spurs got to champs league quarters, we finished 3rd in a poor Spl. 5-0 was to be expected uf we are honest.

The movement and ball control is something we can only dream about.

Wouldnt blame any individual, they are just simply far superior players.

The Spurs team tonight would do the same damage to any other SPL team.

No shame tonight imo.

Archived