***Official Heart of Midlothian vs Tottenham Hotspur Match Thread***

joshp

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Jesus, that move through the middle looked like dads with their wee girls at the park.

shaun.lawson

This is getting embarassing - what's the aggregate score going to be, never mind the score tonight?!

Can we now please have no more of the Scottish football isn't that bad nonsense - it's on its death bed. A Conference side would have put up a better show than this.

Scottish football is bad. However, Spurs are one of the best ten sides in Europe, and ooze class. The idea that we were going to be able to bridge that gap was, however seductive, always ludicrous.

People wanting to know why the gulf is as big as it is should take a look at how much Spurs have spent on their team and squad, and how much we have; on how much Spurs receive from TV money, and how much we do; and how much Spurs receive from gate receipts and other cash injections, and how much we do.

Last season, Spurs beat Inter Milan (that's Inter Milan), and AC Milan (that's AC Milan). Anyone reckon we can do that? So why the surprise?

The other thing is this. Paulo Sergio was appointed in order to change our style and make it far more cerebral and attractive. But as has always been obvious, that takes money we're unable and unwilling to spend; and it also takes considerable time and patience. Trying to play in this way against a class outfit who've been doing it for years and years was always to invite disaster; but we're either committed to these changes, or we're not.

Hopefully Spurs will take their foot off the pedal now. But as it is, regardless of their disappointment, I do not understand how any Hearts fan can walk out with their side having committed the disgraceful crime of being 3-0 down to one of the best ten sides in Europe. Those fans - however much they're still better fans than me - are total and utter planks.

I have to say, I've been surprised by the pace and accuracy of Spurs' play. The movement and passing (and strength) is light-years ahead of anything in SPL.

Carl Fredrickson

Kranjcar is some player..Doesn't even normally get his game :blink:

Sunderland are meant to be in for him. He is some player.

Maybe Harry will take pity on us and put on the 2 sub keepers at half time - playing in midfield :unsure:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This is pathetic. Fair enough there's a gulf in class but I watched Leeds beat man u and take spurs to a replay in the fa cup two years ago. It's all about character and tactics

This is unbelievable feel like turning the tele off now so pissed off the way hearts are playing right now!!!

no marking, no heart no anything

SHOCKING!!!!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

This is pathetic. Fair enough there's a gulf in class but I watched Leeds beat man u and take spurs to a replay in the fa cup two years ago. It's all about character and tactics

It isn't.

Carl Fredrickson

I have to say, I've been surprised by the pace and accuracy of Spurs' play. The movement and passing (and strength) is light-years ahead of anything in SPL.

You have said in one post what I have tried to say in about a dozen :D

Greedy_Jambo

Zaliukas is the new micheal stewart.

Thinks he's better than he is and blames everyone else.

Zaliukas with 20 yards of space in front of him reckons beckoning our midfield to drop even deeper is a better option than moving forward into the space to commit a few Spurs players. OK I'll casually play it back to Kello then

Breakin' Rocks

Sergio is looking pissed off

So he should. His team formation and tactics have been shown to be very poor. Sat off them and allowed them to walk right through the midfield and defence. Huge gulf in class but the manager needs to take a look at himself.

I said it before this guy is a south European Csaba.

Scottish football is bad. However, Spurs are one of the best ten sides in Europe, and ooze class. The idea that we were going to be able to bridge that gap was, however seductive, always ludicrous.

People wanting to know why the gulf is as big as it is should take a look at how much Spurs have spent on their team and squad, and how much we have; on how much Spurs receive from TV money, and how much we do; and how much Spurs receive from gate receipts and other cash injections, and how much we do.

Last season, Spurs beat Inter Milan (that's Inter Milan), and AC Milan (that's AC Milan). Anyone reckon we can do that? So why the surprise?

The other thing is this. Paulo Sergio was appointed in order to change our style and make it far more cerebral and attractive. But as has always been obvious, that takes money we're unable and unwilling to spend; and it also takes considerable time and patience. Trying to play in this way against a class outfit who've been doing it for years and years was always to invite disaster; but we're either committed to these changes, or we're not.

Hopefully Spurs will take their foot off the pedal now. But as it is, regardless of their disappointment, I do not understand how any Hearts fan can walk out with their side having committed the disgraceful crime of being 3-0 down to one of the best ten sides in Europe. Those fans - however much they're still better fans than me - are total and utter planks.

Well my tv is staying on ITV4 til the bitter end. HT now and theres a beer in the fridge. And in end its no often you see a "Battle of Britain" at Tynecastle.

Have you seen Hearts in Europe before Shaun? Seriously we've beaten some great sides at Tynecastle - and most of that was down to belief and playing to our strengths.

Did anyone give Scotland an earthly after being beaten at Hampden 2-0 by England, yet we won at Wembley.

I'd love to see Sergio get us playing a more flowing style but this isn't the game to do it in. This is the game in which to play to our strengths. NOT zonal bloody marking....honestly I could weep. :(

kingantti1874

At the game and this is truly awful, can't close down in midfield because of the White usain bolt on the left - cringeworthy stuff

Regular John

We were never going to seriously compete, this is just a novelty tie.

I'm just worried about the impact this will have on the league with Killie and Hibs coming up.

Chad Sexington

Spurs are a million miles away from us.

I hope they bring on one of their goalies to play in midfield 2nd half. :ermm:

For all that they have been skillfull and sharp, we've been turgid.

Sorry if i seemed like i was rubbing it in or whatever earlier fellas

I was just excited & pleased we had scored early on.

Those posters that i have interacted with before this evening know i am not a piss taking ****

No offence intended.

There is no doubting how good Spurs are but our tactics are terrible, nobody picking up their key men in midfield, no one showing for the ball. I seriously have not seen such a one sided opening 30 mins watching any game, embarassing, at least have a bit of fight, Mroweic wandering about not bothering his arse most of the time.

Spurs may be excellent but we are very poor - don't look organised, no marking - spurs have half an hour on the ball for each bloody pass, neither wonder they're so accurate.

Those posters that i have interacted with before this evening know i am not a piss taking ****

No offence intended.

No bother mate no need to apologise, your side are different class, joy to watch.

Can't disagree. Just think JJ would've at least had them fired up a bit more

Chad Sexington

No offence intended.

You've been a good addition to the board, Alfie. :thumbsup:

Very good team you have there but I think we're making you look even better, We've been terrible. :(

Not really the point but Fulham are beating Dnipro 3-0..

Spurs are a much better team that Fulham..

Dnipro spent a lot more money on their team than Hearts..

At the end of the day we were hoping Hearts could keep it tight and not lose by too many.. thats not going to happen.. Spurs pay their players 60K a week.. we pay ours 3K.. that is why it looks so easy for them.. complaining about systems etc is missing the point.. they are a much better team than us.. thats why they are making our team look so bad..

Gordon Ramsay

We're basically just standing looking at them, no running, no closing down, no marking. Utter shite. I'll take 0-3. Aggregate has potential to be double figures.

**** knows what Mr Sergio does at half time.

Tries to bribe the ref to only play 30 mins would maybe be a start.

Jambothroughandthrough

Trying to play Spurs at their own game by playing from the back is just football suicide against a team like this.

We'll get away with it against the likes of Paksi but Sergio has got this spectacularly wrong this evening.

On the positive side the atmos before the game was superb.

Thing is i was genuinely nervous in the lead up to the game so i was letting off nervous energy after we scored the first couple of goals.

Have you seen Hearts in Europe before Shaun? Seriously we've beaten some great sides at Tynecastle - and most of that was down to belief and playing to our strengths.

Did anyone give Scotland an earthly after being beaten at Hampden 2-0 by England, yet we won at Wembley.

Bayern Munich springs to mind B)

The Real Maroonblood

Peter Houston doesn't think so.

What a clown.

shaun.lawson

I'd love to see Sergio get us playing a more flowing style but this isn't the game to do it in. This is the game in which to play to our strengths. NOT zonal bloody marking....honestly I could weep. :(

Stuttgart and Atletico Madrid, who Hearts have beaten at Tynie in living memory, were nowhere near as good as this Tottenham side is. And the bottom line is: football has changed over the past decade or so. Completely changed. Most people totally underestimate how dramatic these changes have been: it's now harder for an inferior side to bridge a gulf in quality over just one game, never mind a whole season, than it's ever been.

And sure: we could've tried playing it tight, up and at 'em, thud and blunder etc. But where has that got Scottish football over recent years? Nowhere. Overall, we're right to be trying to move with the times: the trouble is, it'll take years for us to get anywhere with it. The idea that any coach trying to make such substantial changes can just turn up, wave a magic wand, and everything would miraculously be fine, is risible.

Finally, on the zonal/man marking debate: last season, we played sides massively inferior to Tottenham: namely, Celtic and Rangers. And what happened? We got gubbed, repeatedly; and in one of our rare successes, we were out-played almost as much as we're being tonight. It can only be about tactics if we're remotely close to the opponents in terms of quality to begin with. As it is, they have lots of quality; we have very little of it.

Another world.

Wish all the part time ****s here tonight were in another world. I cannot believe i heard boo-ing. Astounding.

To be brutally honest, we have a number of players in the team tonight who are barely adequate at SPL level, let alone in Europe. We have more weak links than a porcelain chain. We had a good spell last year with Kyle up front, but since his injury we've been pretty woeful.

If we're really lucky, Vlad will be pissed off enough to insist we get rid of some of the dead wood and buy us a player or two.

The White Cockade

I thought Spurs would win easily

Didn't believe it could be this easy for them though

Gutless performance by us , we are not even getting stuck in

I'm sure JJ would have at least had them up for the game whatever the result

Wonder if Vlad will blame the Monkeys or the Mafia.....

Kello - not much chance with goals but doesn't seem the goalie of last season

Hammill - best player so far

Rest of defence looking lost

Mrowiec - imposter

Black - at least looks interested

Driver - weeks away from fitness

Templeton - little boy lost

Stevenson - trier

Sutton - how slow is he?

Can only get better second half

Surely....

I think out support has been pretty decent so far?

The noise from you lot pre & just after kick off was mad. Impressive.

The boy Lawson has been bang on the money in this thread.

There are no doubt things we could be doing better, but this is a big a gulf as Hearts are ever likely to have in my lifetime.

Carl Fredrickson

I would take Sutton or Stevenson off and put Rudi on and make it a 5 man midfield. We need to try and pack the midfield and reduce the time and space they have. Rudi may not close down or tackle but if we win the ball, he can be a decent outlet for us.

Would also have a look at our centre backs - Zal looks lost and Webster doesnt look fit. Who is on the bench?

Our best hope is that someone sets fire to the death trap main stand and the game has to be abandoned cause the stadium had to be evacuated.

Thing is i was genuinely nervous in the lead up to the game so i was letting off nervous energy after we scored the first couple of goals.

It's cool man, I just hate losing like this. Believe it or not, the might Barcelona only beat us 3-1 so to see us stand and admire your team is frustrating as ****. Guess I took it out on you - my apologies.

Another world.

Wish all the part time ****s here tonight were in another world. I cannot believe i heard boo-ing. Astounding.

No different at ours mate. The ***** all come out for the big games.

I have nearly come to fisticuffs with ***** that start booing at the Lane.

Jambothroughandthrough

I think out support has been pretty decent so far?

The noise from you lot pre & just after kick off was mad. Impressive.

I'm in the Gorgie Road stand and it was superb at just before kick off and the start of the game

Archived