Locke on Talk 107- says Hearts should get Jefferies

robbogoal

surley contravesion to say the night before we play killie!

and if jeffries went to hearts who do you think would get a nice wee job at hearts...........it's a no brainer

non other that mr locke.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

really, do you know roughly how he phrased it? ie did he intimate that Jefferies might actually be interested?

Shock!!! Player who has played under same manager in virtually every every professional game he's played in wants new contract!!!!

Buffalo Bill

I get the impression not that many folk are too keen on JJ returning; possibly to do with Killie's poor season (by their high standards) and JJ's whingy voice!

I'd settle for it, but I'd prefer someone else.

Buffalo Bill

Mark Donaldson asked Lockie "as a Hearts fan, who would you like to see as the next Hearts manager"

Locke- "The Gaffer"

He then sounded a wee bit sheepish. He didnt say if Jeff was up for it though.

rudi must stay

not really, everyone konws he's a Jambo and he's hardly impartial. Always a good pro on the pitch tho :)

Aye hes doing a brillant job at kilmarnock isn't he

He can barely get a bunch of journeymen meiocre players who are playing for their careers to perform so he will do a sterling job with overpaid duddys who are more concerned about their lambourginis

it would be a disaster:eek:

Only a Game
Mark Donaldson asked Lockie "as a Hearts fan, who would you like to see as the next Hearts manager"

Locke- "The Gaffer"

He then sounded a wee bit sheepish. He didnt say if Jeff was up for it though.

"As a Hearts fan" how can one possibly prefer JJ over the other two "names in the frame"

Did he say why it should be Jefferies or do we just assume its more to do with his own self interest rather than his interest as a Hearts fan.

Appointing JJ would be a complete and utter disaster in my opinion "as a Hearts fan" and "as a Hearts fan" his mate Billy is not welcome back at Tynecastle in any capacity apart from as a heavily losing visiting coach.

I get the impression not that many folk are too keen on JJ returning; possibly to do with Killie's poor season (by their high standards) and JJ's whingy voice!

Buffalo Bill

I think it's a case of been there, done that. I'm not sure he could take us any further than he did last time.

I'm not against getting JJ but not really for it either.

Yeh, Gary knows what side his breads buttered on ;)

As regards JJ. He could be the proof of the pudding as far as

the 'Jan 1 declaration' is concerned.

He may not be the long term answer but he would surely sort

out the current squad, if given a free hand to do so, and would have

us up at the right end of the table !

He'd come here at the drop of a hat too I reckon, even at the 11th hour

and as perhaps 3rd choice ;)

If he remains at Killie, while we appoint SF, supposedly 'giving him the chance

he's earned' :sad: ...........then we've been conned :mad:

Oh aye..........MY proviso is that BB remain at Rugby Park !

TyphoonJambo

cant believe some of the drivle people write here. We have been screaming out for weeks that none of the player have any pride in the shirt, do we not at least think that JJ, Locke, McCann and Frail all in whatever role would be a great team, working for the jersey and making sure that every player putting it on appreciated the history and pride of the club?

cant believe some of the drivle people write here. We have been screaming out for weeks that none of the player have any pride in the shirt, do we not at least think that JJ, Locke, McCann and Frail all in whatever role would be a great team, working for the jersey and making sure that every player putting it on appreciated the history and pride of the club?

what like they do at killie?

That management team would actually make me cry

rudi must stay

JJ, Locke and McCann should, that would be a fantastic coaching team. Not Frail though, he was part of the problem and stood back while we had people in charge that didn't have a clue. There's no pride in the jersey there imo

TyphoonJambo

Prancer, don't you see the difference, JJ and Locke "work" for Killie, I believe that the passion they would have for Hearts would make all the difference. Definately bet any under performers would get to know the score at any half time chat

Aye hes doing a brillant job at kilmarnock isn't he

He can barely get a bunch of journeymen meiocre players who are playing for their careers to perform so he will do a sterling job with overpaid duddys who are more concerned about their lambourginis

it would be a disaster:eek:

Kilmarnock have had even worse injury problems than Hearts this season, and they have a much smaller squad than us. With a fully fit squad to pick from he'd have had them up battling for a top 6 place.

rudi must stay
Kilmarnock have had even worse injury problems than Hearts this season, and they have a much smaller squad than us. With a fully fit squad to pick from he'd have had them up battling for a top 6 place.

no he wouldn't. Mainly due to the sale of Naismith, the minute they sold him they were always going to struggle.

portobellojambo1

As I said on another thread, cannot remember which one, I suspect the "quality" manager that the fans are looking for may not be this first appointment, but may be the one after that. I think "quality" managers will possibly stand back and wait to see if whoever gets appointed this time gets the freedoms we are being led to believe they will get.

Within the parameters of the above I believe someone like Jefferies or Levein may be more likely initial appointments. In the context of matters which have been discussed on the board, the likes of cutting back on high earners, developing youngsters etc. Jefferies or Levein might be the right person to implement that, both seem to have what it takes to wheel and deal in the lower leagues and/or spot a slightly older player who might add a bit back bone. ****

If the off field developments take off, while on field we get back to the top end of the league, and other coaches see that the manager is getting to run the football side properly then situations may develop where "quality" coaches will start looking at Hearts as a potential employer. At this point in time I still think many coaches may look at Hearts as a job possibly not worth taking the risk on.

**** - This is not meant to sound disparaging to either Craig Levein or Jim Jefferies, both of whom I think are very good at what they do. But I get the impression (maybe wrongly) that many Hearts fans are looking for a manager who is maybe out of our reach at the moment, given the present situation, especially if said "quality" manager is British.

CornhillHearts

I think some folk should follow previous threads Jeffries is a stand by and preferable over Frail surely.

As someone who has watched Hearts since the 60s, what amazes me is the lack of respect for Jim Jefferies that so many on here seem to demonstrate.

It is my view that JJ has been the most successful manager the club has had in over 40 years, it is also my view that the team he put on the park was in the main, the best team Hearts have produced in over 40 years (I'd always give credit to the tea of 86 as being very special).

Being a hearts man does not make him an idela candidate (but it helps) rather what makes him ideal in my book is that he is an excellent manager who would be well placed to guide the club for say the next 2 to 3 years in preperation for the next stage of the clubs developent. Hopefully getting us re-established as (at least) the 3rd force and who knows, maybe better, before handing the reigns to a more high profile man with a real record of success behind him.

I'd settle for CL, but JJ is more positive and more entertaining. As for MMcG, I can't beleve the hype...? Seems to be a decent man, and a fairly decent manager, but imo he's certainly not ahead of the other two.

As I said on another thread, cannot remember which one, I suspect the "quality" manager that the fans are looking for may not be this first appointment, but may be the one after that. I think "quality" managers will possibly stand back and wait to see if whoever gets appointed this time gets the freedoms we are being led to believe they will get. ****

Within the parameters of the above I believe someone like Jefferies or Levein may be more likely initial appointments. In the context of matters which have been discussed on the board, the likes of cutting back on high earners, developing youngsters etc. Jefferies or Levein might be the right person to implement that, both seem to have what it takes to wheel and deal in the lower leagues and/or spot a slightly older player who might add a bit back bone.

If the off field developments take off, while on field we get back to the top end of the league, and other coaches see that the manager is getting to run the football side properly then situations may develop where "quality" coaches will start looking at Hearts as a potential employer. At this point in time I still think many coaches may look at Hearts as a job possibly not worth taking the risk on.

**** - This is not meant to sound disparaging to either Craig Levein or Jim Jefferies, both of whom I think are very good at what they do. But I get the impression (maybe wrongly) that many Hearts fans are looking for a manager who is maybe out of our reach at the moment, given the present situation, especially if said "quality" manager is British.

I reckon you could well be right with your observations - we need someone who can raise the profile of the club and make it an attractive proposition again.

JJ could be just that person.

Vlad knows full well that the present concoction is not working and that he has to go for someone who's going to take the club forward. Personally I'd like to see JJ in with a good quality assistant looking to a natural progression of managers in the future - That's what happened with McLean and Walker and look at the benefits it brought this club in the fifties.

Hans von Luck
I reckon you could well be right with your observations - we need someone who can raise the profile of the club and make it an attractive proposition again.

JJ could be just that person.

Vlad knows full well that the present concoction is not working and that he has to go for someone who's going to take the club forward. Personally I'd like to see JJ in with a good quality assistant looking to a natural progression of managers in the future - That's what happened with McLean and Walker and look at the benefits it brought this club in the fifties.

Sorry had to read the last part twice as I thought you ment "Tommy McLean" :eek:.

Ok now heart attack over ;)

I think it's a case of been there, done that. I'm not sure he could take us any further than he did last time.

what like 3 cup finals, a SC win and 7 points from the title?

Special Agent Dale Cooper

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Jefferies back. As already mentioned he has respect for the club, its heritage, the type of football that works in the spl, and if given some funds the type of player that works in the spl.

So he would be an excellent choice to steady the ship in the short term, and punt the overpaid wasters that litter the squad. However if Romanov is still set on European domination then he is not the answer in the long term.

Neil McCann & Colin Cameron

Hehehe

Good retort.

My post really was in response to Spennyboys post and i guess my point was that after 1998 it all went downhill a bit.

I'm not anti-Jeffries, and I reckon he could steady our current ship, but I would prefer someone else.

Dirk Diggler
Hehehe

Good retort.

My post really was in response to Spennyboys post and i guess my point was that after 1998 it all went downhill a bit.

I'm not anti-Jeffries, and I reckon he could steady our current ship, but I would prefer someone else.

I think we all would Boris.

However reality must come into play here, As has been alluded to earlier, At this moment in time there aren't many names that immediately grab my attention as a realistic target.

I would put a lot of money on Levein point blank refusing it if offered.

I have doubts whether McGhee would take it despite what we've heard.

Billy Davies? I think that's a non starter from the off.

Who else?

Frail?:dribble:

:)

Buffalo Bill

Possibly a bit harsh there, Prancer.

JJ has had Killie punching WAY above their wait for five years now. This season has been a come down, but overall, he's done a great job there.

In saying that, there are things about JJ I don't like. He is a bit of a sour puss, and he lost our dressing room twice (98/99 and 00).

But he also built an amazing Hearts team (97/98) and gave us three other solid seasons.

Not mind-blowing, but a damn sight more than what I've seen over the last two seasons.

Buffalo Bill

Buffalo Bill

Changed days in deed BB. Under Jeffries at the end was awful. I still have nightmares over some of Darren Jackson's, Gordon Petric's and Gary McSwegan's performances.

JJ could'nt work under the pieman,and walked and we all know that the Pieman was a pussy cat compared to Vlad,so i dont think it would work,and i dont want Billy Brown there in any capacity

Changed days in deed BB. Under Jeffries at the end was awful. I still have nightmares over some of Darren Jackson's, Gordon Petric's and Gary McSwegan's performances.

As much as I disliked Jackson he was one of our better players season 98/99 and McSwegan scored some invaluable goals, but Petric I will give you that one

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Jefferies back. As already mentioned he has respect for the club, its heritage, the type of football that works in the spl, and if given some funds the type of player that works in the spl.

So he would be an excellent choice to steady the ship in the short term, and punt the overpaid wasters that litter the squad. However if Romanov is still set on European domination then he is not the answer in the long term.

:confused:

As much as I disliked Jackson he was one of our better players season 98/99 and McSwegan scored some invaluable goals, but Petric I will give you that one

Jackson only signed for us in April 1999. Hardly one of the better players for 1998/99.

Jackson - Half a season we got. An expensive half season at that. Then he was murder.

McSwegan - His gesturing to the fans about not being a fatty summed him up (am I the only one who remebers this?).

Petric - Comedy footballer

Buffalo Bill

It was awful, and a certain game ending in 6-2 was a final nail in his coffin.

But there were good times too. Don't forget the good times.

See you at the wedding. ;)

Buffalo Bill

For me, JJ wouldn't be my first choice, even above CL and MM, but that may be purely because of current league form.

However, if he did get the job, I would be fairly happy with it, because for one, there's no doubting that he's a Hearts man through and through and if he accepted the job it would be because he has had guarantees that he has absolute control over team selection and tactics and secondly, that I've no doubt that anyone not pulling their weight and giving 100% for the jersey would soon know about it.

For all of his faults after '98, what he achieved in 97/98 without spending a great deal against an Old Firm who were probably spending at record levels was immense.

It was awful, and a certain game ending in 6-2 was a final nail in his coffin.

But there were good times too. Don't forget the good times.

See you at the wedding. ;)

Buffalo Bill

I'm starting to worry a bit. Remember the good times! FFS I'm sure Adolf Hitler said something similar on his death bed. However Jarvis Cocker did write a rather good song on said subject.

Archived