Tynie Atmosphere

You hear so much about the "Tynecastle Atmosphere" and section G and section N, and yesterday the atmosphere was an absolute embarrasment. Me and my cousin were told to "sit down and shut up or get out" by a fellow supporter just for trying to get the crowd behind the team. There was nothing sectarian and nothing abusive we sang general hearts songs for the entire 90 minutes and were looked at as if we were singing through a minute silence.

One lad came up at half time and at the end and said "good effort lads, you were the 12th man", but the rest of the support looked disgusted.

Whats happened to the atmosphere and passion??

Pants Shaton

You hear so much about the "Tynecastle Atmosphere" and section G and section N, and yesterday the atmosphere was an absolute embarrasment. Me and my cousin were told to "sit down and shut up or get out" by a fellow supporter just for trying to get the crowd behind the team. There was nothing sectarian and nothing abusive we sang general hearts songs for the entire 90 minutes and were looked at as if we were singing through a minute silence.

One lad came up at half time and at the end and said "good effort lads, you were the 12th man", but the rest of the support looked disgusted.

Repulsive stuff.

call me a cynic but something isnt right about that story. Im not calling you a liar but thee must be omitted facts. If this did happen, were you in an area generallypopulated by fmailies who were sat down? Were you stood infront of kids who couldnt see? wheelchairs? I dunno, something but your story cant be 100% accurate.

RoussetsShorts

its been like this for years, time to bring back an adults only terracing

EDIT - May i add the hearts support has become full of middle class, hand wringing, PC, pant wetters. There's very little passion anymore.

Section N and Section G are good, but they can't make an atmosphere without the other 23 sections joining in!!!!!!

call me a cynic but something isnt right about that story. Im not calling you a liar but thee must be omitted facts. If this did happen, were you in an area generallypopulated by fmailies who were sat down? Were you stood infront of kids who couldnt see? wheelchairs? I dunno, something but your story cant be 100% accurate.

Section G row 14. The stairs and tunnel were in front of us and werent standing. I wouldnt lie about something like that

Regal Kingston

Like a library yesterday - Just moved to the old stand after 10 seasons in the Gorgie Road and one in the Wheatfield and it was very very quiet.

We need to get more fans through the doors - Think we have lost a good few from the Craig Thomson debacle.

cantleyzonehmfc

i said the same after the paksi game...i was seated in section g and the atmosphere was good but as soon as i turned my head to the right and looked directly along the whole of the wheatfield it was like a morgue nobody even standing nobody singing....tynecastle is terrible for any kind of atmosphere these days sad but true !!!

Section G row 14. The stairs and tunnel were in front of us and werent standing. I wouldnt lie about something like that

That doesn't sound like section G at all unless it changed in the year since I've had a ST there

quincy adams wagstaff

Section N and Section G are good, but they can't make an atmosphere without the other 23 sections joining in!!!!!!

years ago,well in the 70s only one section ever sang,in the shed under the pie stand and we got by,its not just singing that makes atmosphere,its a feeling,a buzz,and its that buzz thats missing sometimes :whistling:

The atmosphere yesterday was pathetic, at one stage during the game you could hear fellow Jambos in other stands talking. A lot of the fans don't know the words to our songs anymore. Sad times at Tynie.

Know what you mean mate.

Was at the Patski game and had just set fire to the cross that had taken me ages to put together, was about to put on my white gown and the steward asked me to sit down.

I could understand If I was in the family section, but it wasn't.

Bloody jobsworth.

its been like this for years, time to bring back an adults only terracing

EDIT - May i add the hearts support has become full of middle class, hand wringing, PC, pant wetters. There's very little passion anymore.

First part - Yea I agree designated sections for the standing/adults makes sense. keeps allf ans happy

Second but - you are obsessed with classes for some reason. Was it not you who luahged hysterically at 'middle class' idiots talking tactics when we had no diea abotu football. Even though you knew none of us. Apologies if not obviously.

i said the same after the paksi game...i was seated in section g and the atmosphere was good but as soon as i turned my head to the right and looked directly along the whole of the wheatfield it was like a morgue nobody even standing nobody singing....tynecastle is terrible for any kind of atmosphere these days sad but true !!!

sadly, this.

the atmosphere at tynecastle has, on the whole, been awful for the last couple of years. there are times, our individual matches where it is better but it is not consistent.

we pretty much do now only sing when we're winning and even then it doesn't last.

two things seem to affect the home crowd imo: the belief that the players have to give us a reason to sing, as opposed to us singing to encourage them; and a fear that we're going to lose the position we're in during the game so we clam up. even in the big games against hibs and the old firm the atmosphere isn't as good as it was.

away matches are infinitely more entertaining than home ones due to the banter and atmosphere amongst the away fans.

football is about entertainment. I don't think anyone would argue that better atmospheres provide more entertainment, so it's up to us as fans to add to the entertainment value of the day as well as the guys on the pitch.

RoussetsShorts

Tynie is also a symptom of the modern phenomenon that fans at football should 'come in, sit down, shut up, watch, then go home'. This is what the police and stewards strive for and it works.

Thursday nights game should produce a fantastic atmosphere which hopefully will remind fans how more enjoyable watching a game is when everyone's singing but it's up to us to keep it going even against the wee teams like St Mirren, Hibs, Dumfermline etc.

Captain Scarlett

years ago,well in the 70s only one section ever sang,in the shed under the pie stand and we got by,its not just singing that makes atmosphere,its a feeling,a buzz,and its that buzz thats missing sometimes :whistling:

God how i miss that shed.Although i dont miss standing in the piss or having to stand next to opposing fans but the banter was good and if you managed to kip in over the fence by cutting through the stair on Wheatfield then it was a good day :thumbsup:

God how i miss that shed.Although i dont miss standing in the piss or having to stand next to opposing fans but the banter was good and if you managed to kip in over the fence by cutting through the stair on Wheatfield then it was a good day :thumbsup:

They were the days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregory House M.D.

If you were the guys singing non-stop in Section G, you were cringe inducing.

Still say that any 'singing section' should be located behind the goals and not high up in the corner of a stand. Easier to spread the atmosphere if it starts in the middle as opposed to the postage stamp.

Francis Albert

It is one of the enduring myths of JKB that there was once a golden age, before all-seating, when the terraces were regularly packed with fans singing their hearts out for 90 minutes. Outside the little singing section you mention the rest of the crowd never sang.And the singing section usually managed a few party songs at the start and then nothing until we scored. In the 60s and 70s Tynecastle was much quieter than it is today. There have been relatively brief periods (86 and the autumn of 2005 spring to mind) when Tynecastle was significantly noisier.

If you were the guys singing non-stop in Section G, you were cringe inducing.

the plot thickens..... I knew it wasnt clear cut.

Barney Rubble

All this cringe inducing singing section talk is hoboesque 12th man blah blah pish the atmosphere will return when we 1. Go on a run of winning games

2. Play teams of a calibre better than oberdeen

3. Beat the hobbits again !

4. When the mhanks come to town .

I think you get a better atmosphere at Tynie when the teams doing well, the players are confident and settled and a momentum begins to roll, we as fans then start to get more confident add the touch of arrogance that always comes back to us(and rightly so) we begin to create a better atmosphere, its just that we as fans are used to being let down in the past, so we are always gagey when new management have yet to stamp their mark. just an oppinion.

Gregory House M.D.

What were they singing for it to be cringe inducing?

---

- Sent from my iPhone

Copying Spurs with the slow "Oh when the Hearts"

Singing "Kello sing us The Sash"

Copying Liverpool with "ring of fire"

Singing Hello, Hello with all the extras

Barney Rubble

Citizens arrest was called for why didnt you frog march them out the stadium ?

I believe that some of the blame for yesterday lies on Hearts. Apart from playing pretty pish football, the idea to sell the Spurs tickets at that stupid time caused quite a fair number of empty seats and fans streaming out throughout the game. I'm sure, however, we will see the famous atmosphere at Tynecastle that we all long for, come Thursday night.

PauloSergioBentoBrito

People are too embarassed to sing. Fact.

Hopefully, we can get it back though.

Thursday will be rocking.

Unless hearts managed to feck up and let hibs fans buy loads of tickets.

Gregory House M.D.

Citizens arrest was called for why didnt you frog march them out the stadium ?

I never found the songs that offensive TBH. Just cringeworthy. Plus one of them was about 6ft 5 and 20st. Didn't fancy my chances :lol:

Barney Rubble

I never found the songs that offensive TBH. Just cringeworthy. Plus one of them was about 6ft 5 and 20st. Didn't fancy my chances :lol:

:lol:

I doubt you are as bad as Hibs...I was at the Celtic game a few weeks ago at Easter Road and it was comparable in the home end to a library. And I was sat in the end that the supposed die hards sit in the East Stand.

I've been to many Hibs Dundee games at Easter Road over the years and always thought it had a great atmosphere - how things have changed.

That wasn't the OP. I sat not too far from them. That slow version they attempted was very cringeworthy.

The crowd feed off the team - fast free flowing football with shots on target and the team showing controlled aggressive football gets the fans involved!

Sideways passing and slowing down the game, as happened yesterday and against ******* will never motivate the crowd!

Exciting Football = Excited Fans......

It's not just Tynecastle though. Most of the grounds are much quieter these days and have been really since all-seated stadiums came in. I was at Motherwell last Sunday and if it wasn't for a small number of their fans in the corner banging drums etc you could quite easily've had a wee snooze. Even Ibrox/Parkhead games are a lot quieter now, mainly because they only know bigoted songs and are lost without it.

As others have said in the past, it's upto the players to put on a show. If the players are playing pish then there can't be any complaints about the atmosphere. Play well, attack teams etc and in turn it'll create the atmosphere and encourage the fans to get behind the team.

Still say that any 'singing section' should be located behind the goals and not high up in the corner of a stand. Easier to spread the atmosphere if it starts in the middle as opposed to the postage stamp.

this

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I've been going to Hearts games at Tynecastle since the eighties and all this stuff about the atmosphere being worse now just doesn't ring true with me I am afraid. I do not remember a period where we used to sing non-stop for ninety minutes at every game. We get more behind the team when the product is entertaining and that is the same as all teams at home. Tynecastle has it's moments like it always has and when they come they are first rate and memorable... Maybe that is it? Like when you look back at childhood and always remember it being sunny. People just forget the flatter days and remember the really good ones.

Ribery's Face

there is no way you were told to sit down and shut up in section G, unless you were being very very annoying, like you know those little kids that scream one players name the whole game. "MCGOWAN, PASS IT TOO MCGOWAN" "GRAINGER..........GRAINGER" You know the ones

Unfortunately this whole sit down lefty hand wringer thing is a syptom of modern football.

I was at west ham last season in a very close game and a guy behind us asked us to sit down.

Francis Albert

I'd go as far as to say that singing for 90 minutes, irrespective of what is happening on the pitch, would become excruciatingly monotonous. The point about atmosphere is that it fluctuates and has many more components than singing. The wordless roar accompanied by the stamping of feet in the main stand when Hearts have had a good attacking spell, has been a part of the traditional sound of Tynecastle for decades. Equally the howls of disapproval at referees decisions or opposition fouls. Even the jeers at a misplaced pass, and applause and shouts of encouragement at a good pass or attempt at a good pass. Two of my least favourite "atmospheres" is when some drunken yob spends the game standing and shouting at the fans around them to "fecking get behind the team you *****" (though that type generally disappears sharpish if we go a couple of goals down) and repeated mindless chants ("so and so's something and something army" repeated for ever, or "one man went to mow" going on and on and on).

Interesting debate. Surprised no-one has even mentioned the German Bundesliga for a comparison.

Having been to Koln, Schalke, Dortmund, Monchengladbach and Bochum last season, each game had constant noise throughout, regardless of the opposition. This does not happen by accident, or by the team playing good football. It's all organsed, the club are involved, the fans are pro-active and passionate about the game, their team and enjoyment.

They have standing sections behind the goals, flags waving constantly, drums and guys on podiums (or hanging onto fences) with loudhailers leading the singing.

This could be achieved in the Gorgie stand (noticed how empty the corporate section has been in both league games??). I've often thought about contacting Hearts to gauge their thoughts, but having met previous safety officers / jobsworthys I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Start at away games, and get the ball rolling from there....

Needs organised though. How many people are really that interested?

Start with 2 dozen, and things could grow. Nae numpty's though.

Francis Albert

Unfortunately this whole sit down lefty hand wringer thing is a syptom of modern football.

I was at west ham last season in a very close game and a guy behind us asked us to sit down.

Unfortunately this whole "I'll stand up if I want to and don't give a **** about the people sitting behind me" thing is a symptom of modern society.

Francis Albert

Interesting debate. Surprised no-one has even mentioned the German Bundesliga for a comparison.

Having been to Koln, Schalke, Dortmund, Monchengladbach and Bochum last season, each game had constant noise throughout, regardless of the opposition. This does not happen by accident, or by the team playing good football. It's all organsed, the club are involved, the fans are pro-active and passionate about the game, their team and enjoyment.

They have standing sections behind the goals, flags waving constantly, drums and guys on podiums (or hanging onto fences) with loudhailers leading the singing.

This could be achieved in the Gorgie stand (noticed how empty the corporate section has been in both league games??). I've often thought about contacting Hearts to gauge their thoughts, but having met previous safety officers / jobsworthys I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Start at away games, and get the ball rolling from there....

Needs organised though. How many people are really that interested?

Start with 2 dozen, and things could grow. Nae numpty's though.

That all sounds very German. A bit Nuremberg rally for my taste!

I'd go as far as to say that singing for 90 minutes, irrespective of what is happening on the pitch, would become excruciatingly monotonous. The point about atmosphere is that it fluctuates and has many more components than singing. The wordless roar accompanied by the stamping of feet in the main stand when Hearts have had a good attacking spell, has been a part of the traditional sound of Tynecastle for decades. Equally the howls of disapproval at referees decisions or opposition fouls. Even the jeers at a misplaced pass, and applause and shouts of encouragement at a good pass or attempt at a good pass. Two of my least favourite "atmospheres" is when some drunken yob spends the game standing and shouting at the fans around them to "fecking get behind the team you *****" (though that type generally disappears sharpish if we go a couple of goals down) and repeated mindless chants ("so and so's something and something army" repeated for ever, or "one man went to mow" going on and on and on).

If this thread is about the people I think it is then they seemed to spend half the game standing up looking at the rest of the crowd rather than the pitch.

Tynecastle needs to cater for all types of fans, be it families, corporate, people who want to stand and sing, pensioners etc.

You cannot rely on the team to get you going, quiet atmosphere = less points. Simple. Ask any manager/player. Not rocket science.

Archived