John Sutton

Hansel

He may be slow, but he's a clever striker with good instincts. Glad to see him off the mark today, and if he gets the service, he's gonna score.

He might do little else, but if he scores the goals, who cares. Kind of like Kris Boyd in a way.

Will not score an easier goal for us as his first but I agree his striking instincts got his second. Hopefully he can score 15+ goals for us this season.

Better than Kyle.

By a country mile. Although Kyle is a good heid to have about the place.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

By a country mile. Although Kyle is a good heid to have about the place.

Fully agreed buddy. I like having Kyle here, he's good for us. But Sutton is the better player. Interesting to see how they'd do together.

Fully agreed buddy. I like having Kyle here, he's good for us. But Sutton is the better player. Interesting to see how they'd do together.

That would be shite.

Held the ball up much better today and won a bigger share of knock ons which nobody seemed to gamble on.

Two goals as well. All round good performance.

I thought Sutton was pish? I'm sure that was the consensus. Top spl player

I thought most of our players were pish today, Sutton scored two goals, but general play was equally pish as the players around him.

That would be shite.

:lol:

I'd like to see it tbh. He showed today that he can get on the end of flick-ons and headed balls and can make good moves between defenders, very much the type of player that Kyle is used to providing for.

First goal may have been a tap in but it was good to see a striker there to tap it in for a change. Nice neat finish for his second. Better all round game today and will continue to improve under PS.

He needs the right strike partner to play alongside though.

Aberdeen's back line were given too much time on the ball, and we need someone to do the running up front, to close down, and help win back possession.

Sutton is probably a better finisher. Kyle is stronger in the air, and a bigger personality, with great leadership qualities. It's good to have them both, but I think we need a quick player, to play alongside one of them.

kennyblack'sshot

2-piece-traffic-cone-tc1_cms_site_products_images_1375-1-1790_600_600_False.jpg

The bigger one is Kyle.

If we play with two fast wide men as we usually do we don't really need fast strikers as most chances will be coming from wide positions rather than strikers running onto passes from midfield. It makes more sense to have good finishers, which Sutton is, and two taller strikers, which Sutton and Kyle are, so I think they could play together in our team. People seem to think because they're both over 6 feet that they are the same type but Kyle is a battering ram and Sutton is more of a finisher.

I've always liked the small man big man combo Hearts have always had success with, but so long as one can cause damage - Kyle - and one can finish - Sutton or Elliott - I think we can play Kyle and any of our other strikers together.

Big, slow striker combinations can work though - Shearer and Sutton, Sutton and Hartson - if they get the right supply.

If we play with two fast wide men as we usually do we don't really need fast strikers as most chances will be coming from wide positions rather than strikers running onto passes from midfield. It makes more sense to have good finishers, which Sutton is, and two taller strikers, which Sutton and Kyle are, so I think they could play together in our team.

I've always liked the small man big man combo Hearts have always had success with, but so long as one can cause damage - Kyle - and one can finish - Sutton or Elliott - I think we can play Kyle and any of our other strikers together.

Big, slow striker combinations can work though - Shearer and Sutton, Sutton and Hartson - if they get the right supply.

Totally disagree with this.

kennyblack'sshot

Disagree that most of our chances are likely to come from wide positions or disagree that we play with two fast wide men?

Disagree that most of our chances are likely to come from wide positions or disagree that we play with two fast wide men?

You need someone sharp up front who can make diagonals in front of centre half's,receive the ball with a good touch and unload it first time to the wide men and then get in the box to get on the end of the crosses. Sutton and Kyle don't have the mobility or movement for that.

Was Sutton's pre-season interrupted? He looks like he should be fit but is sluggish.

kennyblack'sshot

Sutton scored two vs a shocking aberdeen team, but looked shite otherwise.

Be more than happy if he does that every week.

Think we still need our midfielders to support our strikers more, and make runs beyond the strikers, to receive a through ball. Or maybe the wingers need to make arcing runs instead of sticking to their postions.

The lack of movement is a problem, and I hope PS can rectify this. It seems the team are too focused on keeping their shape, and sometimes that's fine, but it can be quite predictable, making it easy to defend against.

If only I was the manager eh? :verysmug:

kennyblack'sshot

You need someone sharp up front who can make diagonals in front of centre half's,receive the ball with a good touch and unload it first time to the wide men and then get in the box to get on the end of the crosses. Sutton and Kyle don't have the mobility or movement for that.

Was Sutton's pre-season interrupted? He looks like he should be fit but is sluggish.

It depends - our wide players usually pick the ball up and then aim to cut in and shoot or lay off a pass or go to the byline and cross. Yes it would be great to have fast as well as physical strikers who are also good finishers but I'm not sure that Drogba is available. We don't just need people to lay the ball off, we need the strikers to create space and drag defenders all over the place, which they don't need to be fast to do. Kyle did that brilliantly before getting injured and Sutton should be able to do it and as a good finisher defenders know they need to keep a close eye on him. I think we're usually going to be playing one striker anyhow so it's not really an issue, but I think Sutton can do the job in our formation, with Skacel following up behind to pounce on rebounds, etc.

Jambothroughandthrough

At Motherwell he had Murphy and Humphries supplying the ammunition from wide positions. We have the players in Driver, Temps, Skacel and even Elliott to feed Sutton.

My concern is that we don't get it wide quick enough. On top of that Temps and AN always looked to come inside today. I'd like to see our wide men be a bit more direct and fire in the crosses because JS will thrive on that.

Motherwell played to his strengths and if we can do the same he will hit double figures easy.

It depends - our wide players usually pick the ball up and then aim to cut in and shoot or lay off a pass or go to the byline and cross. Yes it would be great to have fast as well as physical strikers who are also good finishers but I'm not sure that Drogba is available. We don't just need people to lay the ball off, we need the strikers to create space and drag defenders all over the place, which they don't need to be fast to do. Kyle did that brilliantly before getting injured and Sutton should be able to do it and as a good finisher defenders know they need to keep a close eye on him. I think we're usually going to be playing one striker anyhow so it's not really an issue, but I think Sutton can do the job in our formation, with Skacel following up behind to pounce on rebounds, etc.

Nah, how you want us to set up is way too predictable.

kennyblack'sshot

Nah, how you want us to set up is way too predictable.

I'm happy with our striker options, but I'd like to see us get a creative midfielder. Not worried by the mobility issues of Kyle and Sutton as I really don't think that's their main value to the team. I think in Temps, Driver, Novi and Skacel - and possibly Taouil, we have some of the most unpredictable players in the league on their day, and I'm hoping the strikers can feed off what they create or create space for them to cause problems. Hopefully Sergio gets the best out of them.

At Motherwell he had Murphy and Humphries supplying the ammunition from wide positions. We have the players in Driver, Temps, Skacel and even Elliott to feed Sutton.

My concern is that we don't get it wide quick enough. On top of that Temps and AN always looked to come inside today. I'd like to see our wide men be a bit more direct and fire in the crosses because JS will thrive on that.

Motherwell played to his strengths and if we can do the same he will hit double figures easy.

That is more likely how we will set up.

Similar to Scotland Vs Denmark with the midfielders pushing forward beyond the striker, the way Snodgrass got his goal.

Sutton will play up top in the most advanced position, with our midfield players running beyond him and providing the support to get on the end of attacking play. (Elliott/Skacel/Robinson/Temps)

Breakin' Rocks

One of the monkey brigade talking a bit of sense. Your weegie masters must have allowed you out for the day.

Yes. Not sure for how long, but was due to play at Cowdenbeath, but was replaced just before kick off. Tend to agree he doesn't look as mobile or sharp as he did when giving us a lot of problems last season. Good to see him getting two goals, but hopefully still a fair bit of improvement to come in his all round play.

kennyblack'sshot

Similar to Scotland Vs Denmark with the midfielders pushing forward beyond the striker, the way Snodgrass got his goal.

Sutton will play up top in the most advanced position, with our midfield players running beyond him and providing the support to get on the end of attacking play. (Elliott/Skacel/Robinson/Temps)

I think we'll get exposed to counter attacks if we play like that. Spurs would destroy us.

Jambothroughandthrough

I agree with that. We have the players in behind Sutton to cause problems and be a goal threat. I just wish our wide men would be a bit more direct and fire in the crosses.

Secondly I like the idea of Skacel playing just behind Sutton with Temps and Driver in wide positions.

Jambothroughandthrough

One of the monkey brigade talking a bit of sense. Your weegie masters must have allowed you out for the day.

Season Ticket Holder :thumbsup:

I think we'll get exposed to counter attacks if we play like that. Spurs would destroy us.

Haha, ok.

I am thinking about how we will set up for the season in the SPL

It was funny when he was half substituted

If smith had came on to the pitch would the substitution have counted?

kennyblack'sshot

Haha, ok.

I am thinking about how we will set up for the season in the SPL

True, we should have more than enough attacking options to do well in the SPL - I guess that's what Vlad's rationale for bringing in a more attack minded manager was.

Breakin' Rocks

Season Ticket Holder :thumbsup:

So you've seen the light and are willing to invest in a ST which means you must have faith in VR and the direction he is taking the club in ? You must have been pandering to the weegie hordes with some of your comments about VR in the not too distant past.

Any thoughts on Rangers getting in a position whereby they have HMRC at their door ?

It would also be interesting to know your position on Celtic' Football Club and their attitude towards remembrance Sunday. You have the reputation as an old firm apologist and you've got a long way to go before you rectify it.

pinehurst jambo

Sutton is an intelligent footballer who reads the game well. Our new management will start weeding out the non footballers in our team in the next 6 months. I am afraid KK's time might be up under Paulo. The lump it up to the big man in the box mentality will be over.

J Cheever Loophole

I thought most of our players were pish today, Sutton scored two goals, but general play was equally pish as the players around him.

My opinion of the game to a T.I felt that Sutton was again isolated in the general play,but we were more direct than last Sunday,it was still a strange game.Win 3-0 nil and still bitchin'.

We are the Hearts right enough.dry.gif

Thought Sutton done well today considering his strike partner Stevo had a nightmare the day. <_<

:lol: what does Ewen need to do to prove his jamboness?

Win a wonga ball race against Grant Stott during half time, at the next derby? :pleasingao:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Sutton challenging for a header :rofl:

Looked better the few times he gets ball to feet but his presence for a big guy is non existant.

Breakin' Rocks

:lol: what does Ewen need to do to prove his jamboness?

Win a wonga ball race against Grant Stott during half time, at the next derby? :pleasingao:

The man!s no integrity. Perhaps you should read the thread on Tam Cowan, the guy is no supporter of our club but is one of the few in the media who actually has a spine. Again Cameron is one of the monkey brigade who conforms to the weegie media in the interests of his career.

Tommy Wiseau

TBH, he'll get double figures for us regardless - although I agree with your general point - because he's playing with a higher standard of player and will get more chances.

Archived