Motherwell U19s v Hearts U19s

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Hearts opened the league season with a 2-1 win away to Motherwell at Creamery Park Bathgate this morning. Both goals came from Billy King in the first half with a Kieran McGachie header sandwiched in between. Hearts dominated possession for long periods of the second half and Motherwell were thankful to their keeper who made some good saves.

Kevin McHattie was again away with the first team so Darren Murray was forced into shuffling the pack with Dale O'Hara coming in at left back and the surprise selection of Callum Paterson at Centre back alongside Brad McKay. That freed up Chris Kane to anchor the midfield. It was probably a reflection of what was expected from the home side who are a physically strong side.

Hamilton

Mullen Paterson McKay O'Hara

Stewart (Carrick) Tobin Kane Holt B.King

Smith

Unused subs: Carswell, Thomson, Scott, Nicholson, A King

Hearts started brightly and thought they had gone ahead after 6 minutes after a Fraser Mullen free kick on the left of the box was headed into the net, only for the referee to say that the full back had taken the free kick too quickly. The threatened goal was only delayed by five minutes when Dave Smith, on the left, got to the bye line and cut back to Billy King who made a yard of space for himself to shoot low past the keeper from 10 yards.

Motherwell conceded several free kicks around the area but both Mullen and Dale O'Hara were off target as they sought to stretch their lead.

Slowly, Motherwell got a foothold back in the game and a cross from the right was glanced just past the post on 25 minutes. Hearts should have heeded the warning as another cross from the right on 33 minutes was met by McGachie at the near post and headed into the net.

Hearts were denied a penalty as Holt was dragged down just inside the box, but the referee adjuded the offence to have taken place just outside the area. Callum Paterson then had a fine header from a Mullen corner go just wide of the upright as Hearts sought to regain their advantage. Just on half time Hearts were rewarded when Jason Holt won a free kick 28 yards out. Billy King stuck the ball low to the keeper's right but, although he got a hand to it he couldn't keep the ball out the net.

The second half started with Hearts looking to move the ball quicker and it was to prove the right tactic as the Motherwell players were left chasing shadows for long spells. Motherwell did have one effort at goal that Jack Hamilton saved to his right and McGachie should have done better with the rebound than push it wide of the target. Other than that it was one way traffic toward the Motherwell goal with Jason Holt a constant threat with his twists and turns away from defenders. Jason was twice denied a goal himself once by the keeper smothering the ball at his feet and the second by a desperate defensive block. The keeper also made a great flying save to prevent Billy King getting his hat-trick, then had a couple more excellent saves, first from a Mullen free kick, then the save of the game as he dived to his right and fingertipped a rasping effort from substitute Dale Carrick just over the bar.

Hearts would be happy with the result, but slightly disappointed not to get more goals. Best for Hearts were Brad McKay, Billy King and my MOTM Jason Holt who was central to most of Hearts creative work.

Sounds like a good start to the season, shame I'm away or I'd have gone

Surprised Holt was playing - obviously not in 1st team reckoning?! Likewise, surprised McHattie has been promoted, wasn't aware of that at all!

Paterson CB?! Howd he get on?!

Surprised Holt was playing - obviously not in 1st team reckoning?! Likewise, surprised McHattie has been promoted, wasn't aware of that at all!

Lack of fullbacks with Grainger a doubt?

Footballfirst

Kevin's been with the 1st team for the last couple of weeks. Callum did OK at CB. He won his headers and kept it simple. I'd rather that Kane played CB as his passing in MF wasn't too good today.

Kevin's been with the 1st team for the last couple of weeks. Callum did OK at CB. He won his headers and kept it simple. I'd rather that Kane played CB as his passing in MF wasn't too good today.

Ah, shows what a few weeks away can do - keeps me out the loop. Still, good result!

Archived