Japan

TheBigO

Any of cats ever been to Japan?!

We've gone and told the kids we'll take them next year and on first glance its all a bit harder than I thought it might be!haha.  Alwasy been a place I wanted to go to but this is first ever looked in to it.

Any advice on best (cheapest!) routes, and good places to stay, especially Tokyo and Kyoto would be appreciated.

@japanjambo(thought you might be of use to me here!!!)

AlimOzturk

No matter which way you look to do this it’s going to be an expensive trip especially Tokyo. 

I was planning on going over during the rugby World Cup but the eye watering  prices put a stop to that. I appreciate that it would naturally be more expensive at that time. 

Would love to do it some day as well however. 

Sorry I wasn’t much help at all there. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Japan Jambo

Been 16 years since I left and 4 years since I was last there but funnily enough we are going back again this summer to Tokyo, we've taken a serviced apartment in the New Otani but it'll depend on your budget.

https://www.newotani.co.jp/en/tokyo/serviced-apartments/

This is the website we used when we were there, the red dots demark the must sees and I found it a really reliable steer;

https://www.japan-guide.com

Shinkansen is the obvious way to get around and if you plan to do that buy a Japanese Rail Pass before you go, used to be cheaper than one flight but was only available to tourists. I would drive though, particularly as there are a few of you, it's really easy and will allow you to stay in cheaper more out of the way hotels, parking is relatively ubiquitous even in the cities. You would need an international driving permit. Pretty sure we went for a Prius Alpha which sipped petrol.

https://rent.toyota.co.jp/eng/

Between Tokyo and Kyoto I'd suggest you check out Kamakura, Hakone and particularly the Ito peninsula, I've attached a link to a hotel that we stayed in when it was 10 times the price it is now. Pretty sure Bush had stayed there and was our first proper Ryokan experience, now looks a complete bargain but may be tatty;

http://www.seiryuso.co.jp/

Matsumoto is a detour but has a wonderful castle and the Japanese Alps are pretty spectacular, the drive back with the Fuji views are cracking. If you go to Hamamatsu and Jubilo Iwata are playing check them out, Japanese football is a very different (but fun) experience, though Jubilo are a bit crap now!!

If you are going to Kyoto don't forget Nara, it's also a fun side visit. We stayed on Lake Biwa last time out as it saved us a bundle on hotels in Kyoto. Prince hotels are generally reliable/good value and this one was ok for a few days;

https://www.princehotels.com/otsu/

Feel free to ping me if you want views on stuff.

Think Lynn Aoki @japanjambo is still over there so she'll have more current thoughts than me.

Der Kaiser

I've not been but I imagine finding a pub serving a full English breakfast with Only Fools and Horses on the TV might be tough.

Japan Jambo
12 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I've not been but I imagine finding a pub serving a full English breakfast with Only Fools and Horses on the TV might be tough.

Hobgoblin in Roppongi will certainly do a full English, may not be any 'kiss me quick' hats though...😁

2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Any of cats ever been to Japan?!

We've gone and told the kids we'll take them next year and on first glance its all a bit harder than I thought it might be!haha.  Alwasy been a place I wanted to go to but this is first ever looked in to it.

Any advice on best (cheapest!) routes, and good places to stay, especially Tokyo and Kyoto would be appreciated.

@japanjambo(thought you might be of use to me here!!!)

We're going there for a fortnight in the autumn. Taking the wee one with us, so going to be a bit more focus on theme parks etc. We're flying with Finnair into Osaka and making our way up to Tokyo on the train, stopping off at Kyoto and Nagoya on the way. Not sure what overall costs will end up at, but in my mind I'm mentally prepared for it being about ten grand all in. Flights were about £1k each, but the accommodation is very steep, especially in Tokyo.

1 minute ago, Craig_ said:

We're going there for a fortnight in the autumn. Taking the wee one with us, so going to be a bit more focus on theme parks etc. We're flying with Finnair into Osaka and making our way up to Tokyo on the train, stopping off at Kyoto and Nagoya on the way. Not sure what overall costs will end up at, but in my mind I'm mentally prepared for it being about ten grand all in. Flights were about £1k each, but the accommodation is very steep, especially in Tokyo.

Ah OK, thanks for this.  Yeah we're thinking next Easter I think.  I'll have a wee look at that.  There's 5 of us (kids will be 6, 11 and 13).  So flights alone are going to be mental and then accom for 5 is tricky as its prob an appt, or adjoining rooms or whatever.

I'll take a wee look at Finnair though mate.  Will want a full write up on your return!haha

Flights-wise, there's a few ways to do it. As I say, we're going Finnair via Helsinki, but you can do similar via London, Amsterdam and Paris with the respective national airlines. The one I really wanted to do was Qatar via Doha, but the prices and timings just didn't work for us.

There is a rail pass you can get for train travel once you're there, but it might not actually work out cheaper depending on your itinerary and the pass doesn't cover the fastest bullet trains either.

5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Flights-wise, there's a few ways to do it. As I say, we're going Finnair via Helsinki, but you can do similar via London, Amsterdam and Paris with the respective national airlines. The one I really wanted to do was Qatar via Doha, but the prices and timings just didn't work for us.

There is a rail pass you can get for train travel once you're there, but it might not actually work out cheaper depending on your itinerary and the pass doesn't cover the fastest bullet trains either.

You're much further down the planning journey than me!  That all sounds good.  Yeah been looking at flights and I think one through CDG with Air France looked cheapest and best times so far.  Still coming in at about £7k for the lot of us but maybe thats just what its gona be

Edited by TheBigO

I’m not sure if it’s the same now but a mate went a few years ago and didn’t realise that tattoos are still quite a taboo thing in a lot of places. So if you want to visit temples, bathhouses, or any of the more traditional restaurants long sleeved shirts or jumpers are a definite thing to pack. He wasn’t exactly heavily tattooed but enough to be asked to cover up or not being allowed into certain places so had to do some shopping for suitable tops. I’d imagine things like big theme parks should be ok if they’re foreign owned. Ditto wandering about Tokyo. 

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

:lol: 

8 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Been 16 years since I left and 4 years since I was last there but funnily enough we are going back again this summer to Tokyo, we've taken a serviced apartment in the New Otani but it'll depend on your budget.

This is the website we used when we were there, the red dots demark the must sees and I found it a really reliable steer;

Shinkansen is the obvious way to get around and if you plan to do that buy a Japanese Rail Pass before you go, used to be cheaper than one flight but was only available to tourists. I would drive though, particularly as there are a few of you, it's really easy and will allow you to stay in cheaper more out of the way hotels, parking is relatively ubiquitous even in the cities. You would need an international driving permit. Pretty sure we went for a Prius Alpha which sipped petrol.

Between Tokyo and Kyoto I'd suggest you check out Kamakura, Hakone and particularly the Ito peninsula, I've attached a link to a hotel that we stayed in when it was 10 times the price it is now. Pretty sure Bush had stayed there and was our first proper Ryokan experience, now looks a complete bargain but may be tatty;

Matsumoto is a detour but has a wonderful castle and the Japanese Alps are pretty spectacular, the drive back with the Fuji views are cracking. If you go to Hamamatsu and Jubilo Iwata are playing check them out, Japanese football is a very different (but fun) experience, though Jubilo are a bit crap now!!

If you are going to Kyoto don't forget Nara, it's also a fun side visit. We stayed on Lake Biwa last time out as it saved us a bundle on hotels in Kyoto. Prince hotels are generally reliable/good value and this one was ok for a few days;

Think Lynn Aoki @japanjambo is still over there so she'll have more current thoughts than me.

Oh amazing, thanks so much. Ill check that all out tomorrow whilst pretending to work!! Id noticed lake Biwa and kinda though would factor a few days there, looks amazing.  Its whether we want to do hotels, serviced appts or whatever. Prob a wee mix over the 2/3 weeks i guess.

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’m not sure if it’s the same now but a mate went a few years ago and didn’t realise that tattoos are still quite a taboo thing in a lot of places. So if you want to visit temples, bathhouses, or any of the more traditional restaurants long sleeved shirts or jumpers are a definite thing to pack. He wasn’t exactly heavily tattooed but enough to be asked to cover up or not being allowed into certain places so had to do some shopping for suitable tops. I’d imagine things like big theme parks should be ok if they’re foreign owned. Ditto wandering about Tokyo. 

Ah ok so i should get the swastika on my foreheid lazered aff before booking the flights? Good shout!

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

Only the Yakuza get tats in Japan so they shit their pants when they see one 

For flights try and wait until your preferred airline has a deal on (signing up to Jack's Flight Club or the like might be worthwhile for notifying you of this). I've been over there a few times now and we got our flights with Air France last time for around £450 return during a sale which was much, much cheaper than the usual fare. I've generally found Air France and KLM to be the cheapest. If you're flying into Tokyo then try and get a flight that lands at Haneda rather than Narita. It's much closer to the city centre and easier to get to/from. I think most international flights are using Haneda now so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

Absolutely avoid going during July and August. It is usually unbearably hot and humid. I'd also avoid late April and early May as that's around the time of Golden Week, a mass public holiday that will make transport incredibly busy and accomodation crazy expensive. Early spring and autumn are perfect times to go weather wise and even winter can be surprisingly warm, we were sauntering about Tokyo in shorts and t-shirt in January last time! 

The JR Rail Pass used to be ridiculous value compared to the fares that locals have to pay but they're increasing the price of it later this year which will really diminish it's value to the point it may actually be cheaper just to book individual tickets. 

In terms of places to go then Tokyo is probably going to be top of your list but unless you're wanting to do the Disney parks etc with the kids (DisneySea is really cool and unique to Japan) then I probably wouldn't spend more than four or five days there. Asakusa is a good part of the city to stay in, you've got plenty of touristy things on your doorstep like Senso-ji temple and it's at the end of the Ginza line which will get you to all the other main parts of Tokyo pretty easily. I'd highly recommend going to one of the teamlabs digital art exhibitions, we did the 'Borderless' one last time and it was incredible. It's pretty hard to describe (give it a Google for some photos and videos) but was a really fun few hours and very 'Instagrammable' so I can see the kids enjoying it and if they're into their Studio Ghibli or just anime in general then the Studio Ghibli museum in Mitaka is definitely worth the trek.

Outside of Tokyo then Kyoto is brilliant. Kinkaku-ji, Arashiyama, the Gion district and Fushimi-Inari Shrine are pretty much all must visits. Nara is absolutely worth a day trip as well - just watch out for the over enthusiastic deer! 

Hiroshima is fascinating for obvious reasons. Maybe a bit dark and morbid for a family holiday but I found the Peace Park and museum to be quite something. You can also take a trip over to Itsukushima with its 'floating' shrine and torii which is good day out, plenty walks around the island and I think there's a cable car that takes you a good chunk of the way up the mountain. Hiroshima is great for food too, Hiroshima style okonomyiaki is honestly the best Japanese food and I've no idea why it's never gained popularity over here the way ramen and sushi have! 

Probably a bit of an expensive faff to get to if you're only going for a couple of weeks but Okinawa is great and totally different than the mainland. The main city, Nara, is a bit weird as it's heavily American influenced with them having a base nearby but other than that it's basically just beautiful tropical islands. We went off season and basically had the whole of Zamami island to ourselves which was amazing.

Basically it's a cracking country that's full of natural beauty and you'll have a blast no matter where you end up going. I've got a list as long as my arm of places I want to see next I'm over (Kanazawa, Kagoshima, Beppu, Osaka, Himeji, half of Tohoku region, Sapporo snow festival....).One last tip is to try and pick up a few words of Japanese, sticking to touristy areas you'll probably be fine with finding people who can speak English but it's not always a given (even those that can are pretty shy about using it). Folk will absolutely go out of their way to help you though even if you've no idea what you're saying to each other! 

12 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Only the Yakuza get tats in Japan so they shit their pants when they see one 

Not really true, lots of people from all walks of life have tattoo's in Japan but as a country they are still very anti-tattoo, some government departments even ban employee's from being tattooed at all (not just a policy against visible tattoo's), while there is an element of the Yakuza to this anti-tattoo attitude there is much more to it, Japanese history with tattoo's is fairly dark in that for a period of over a thousand years tattoo's were used to brand courtesans, prisoners and criminals and tattoo's only became legal in Japan due to a law change by the allied occupation forces in 1948, so there wasn't even a desire by the Japanese people to legalise them.

Key things for travellers to be aware of are that visible tattoo's are generally not permitted in gyms, pools, water parks etc, most onsens (bath houses) don't allow but more and more are starting to permit tattoo's or another solution is to book a private onsen. Ryokans (japanese traditional inn's) are mostly anti tattoo so it's wise to cover up before arrival as only around 1 in 3 accept tattooed guests (covered or otherwise). It's also likely that you would be asked to cover any tattoo's when visiting any temples or historical sites.

Japan Jambo
10 hours ago, Jamboross said:

For flights try and wait until your preferred airline has a deal on (signing up to Jack's Flight Club or the like might be worthwhile for notifying you of this). I've been over there a few times now and we got our flights with Air France last time for around £450 return during a sale which was much, much cheaper than the usual fare. I've generally found Air France and KLM to be the cheapest. If you're flying into Tokyo then try and get a flight that lands at Haneda rather than Narita. It's much closer to the city centre and easier to get to/from. I think most international flights are using Haneda now so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

Absolutely avoid going during July and August. It is usually unbearably hot and humid. I'd also avoid late April and early May as that's around the time of Golden Week, a mass public holiday that will make transport incredibly busy and accomodation crazy expensive. Early spring and autumn are perfect times to go weather wise and even winter can be surprisingly warm, we were sauntering about Tokyo in shorts and t-shirt in January last time! 

The JR Rail Pass used to be ridiculous value compared to the fares that locals have to pay but they're increasing the price of it later this year which will really diminish it's value to the point it may actually be cheaper just to book individual tickets. 

In terms of places to go then Tokyo is probably going to be top of your list but unless you're wanting to do the Disney parks etc with the kids (DisneySea is really cool and unique to Japan) then I probably wouldn't spend more than four or five days there. Asakusa is a good part of the city to stay in, you've got plenty of touristy things on your doorstep like Senso-ji temple and it's at the end of the Ginza line which will get you to all the other main parts of Tokyo pretty easily. I'd highly recommend going to one of the teamlabs digital art exhibitions, we did the 'Borderless' one last time and it was incredible. It's pretty hard to describe (give it a Google for some photos and videos) but was a really fun few hours and very 'Instagrammable' so I can see the kids enjoying it and if they're into their Studio Ghibli or just anime in general then the Studio Ghibli museum in Mitaka is definitely worth the trek.

Outside of Tokyo then Kyoto is brilliant. Kinkaku-ji, Arashiyama, the Gion district and Fushimi-Inari Shrine are pretty much all must visits. Nara is absolutely worth a day trip as well - just watch out for the over enthusiastic deer! 

Hiroshima is fascinating for obvious reasons. Maybe a bit dark and morbid for a family holiday but I found the Peace Park and museum to be quite something. You can also take a trip over to Itsukushima with its 'floating' shrine and torii which is good day out, plenty walks around the island and I think there's a cable car that takes you a good chunk of the way up the mountain. Hiroshima is great for food too, Hiroshima style okonomiyaki is honestly the best Japanese food and I've no idea why it's never gained popularity over here the way ramen and sushi have! 

Probably a bit of an expensive faff to get to if you're only going for a couple of weeks but Okinawa is great and totally different than the mainland. The main city, Nara, is a bit weird as it's heavily American influenced with them having a base nearby but other than that it's basically just beautiful tropical islands. We went off season and basically had the whole of Zamami island to ourselves which was amazing.

Basically it's a cracking country that's full of natural beauty and you'll have a blast no matter where you end up going. I've got a list as long as my arm of places I want to see next I'm over (Kanazawa, Kagoshima, Beppu, Osaka, Himeji, half of Tohoku region, Sapporo snow festival....).One last tip is to try and pick up a few words of Japanese, sticking to touristy areas you'll probably be fine with finding people who can speak English but it's not always a given (even those that can are pretty shy about using it). Folk will absolutely go out of their way to help you though even if you've no idea what you're saying to each other! 

Hiroshima Peace Park and Itsukushima are top tips - the peace park in particular really slams home a different perspective on WW2, couldn't recommend that highly enough. Love okonomiyaki too, lot to be said for gyoza and beer too.

On the speaking English bit generally the women will be far more helpful than the men. The way it was explained to me was they were generally more reticent to 'loose face' with imperfect language skills. 

If you are going to Kanazawa you might want to consider coming back through Takayama, from memory I think there are some interesting spa towns in that neck of the woods too and the alps are amazing.

Did you do the baseball/beer ladies thing, stupid sport but it's a hoot as a one off?

5 hours ago, Ribble said:

Not really true, lots of people from all walks of life have tattoo's in Japan but as a country they are still very anti-tattoo, some government departments even ban employee's from being tattooed at all (not just a policy against visible tattoo's), while there is an element of the Yakuza to this anti-tattoo attitude there is much more to it, Japanese history with tattoo's is fairly dark in that for a period of over a thousand years tattoo's were used to brand courtesans, prisoners and criminals and tattoo's only became legal in Japan due to a law change by the allied occupation forces in 1948, so there wasn't even a desire by the Japanese people to legalise them.

Key things for travellers to be aware of are that visible tattoo's are generally not permitted in gyms, pools, water parks etc, most onsens (bath houses) don't allow but more and more are starting to permit tattoo's or another solution is to book a private onsen. Ryokans (japanese traditional inn's) are mostly anti tattoo so it's wise to cover up before arrival as only around 1 in 3 accept tattooed guests (covered or otherwise). It's also likely that you would be asked to cover any tattoo's when visiting any temples or historical sites.

I'll rephrase, it's mostly just Yakuza that get tats there. Due to all the above.

I've a fairly large group of Japanese friends and none of them have. 

4 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

Hiroshima Peace Park and Itsukushima are top tips - the peace park in particular really slams home a different perspective on WW2, couldn't recommend that highly enough. Love okonomiyaki too, lot to be said for gyoza and beer too.

On the speaking English bit generally the women will be far more helpful than the men. The way it was explained to me was they were generally more reticent to 'loose face' with imperfect language skills. 

If you are going to Kanazawa you might want to consider coming back through Takayama, from memory I think there are some interesting spa towns in that neck of the woods too and the alps are amazing.

Did you do the baseball/beer ladies thing, stupid sport but it's a hoot as a one off?

That's definitely true about the women generally being more helpful. Think there's a bit of a generational thing as well as I've found it pretty common to be approached by elderly men wanting a chat! One bloke we couldn't shake off for about an hour, he had lived in Edinburgh for a few years and just stood on a street corner in Kyoto reminiscing about his time here and offering up all sorts of profound worldly advice. 

Never done the baseball thing as I tend to come over in late autumn or winter which I think is the off season but would love to experience a game at the Tokyo Dome. Going to the sumo tournaments at Ryogoku would be a cool experience too, it was on when we were there in January a few years ago but we couldn't figure out how to get tickets and it probably would have been sold out anyway. 

I'm planning to take the eldest in march for my 40th. He wants to visit the Japanese gaming arcaded 

Hotels I've found to be about 450 for a week for the twin room which I thought reasonable 

Flights I've not looked into yet 

The only thing I'm unsure about is if a visa is required?

3 minutes ago, BudgeUp said:

I'm planning to take the eldest in march for my 40th. He wants to visit the Japanese gaming arcaded 

Hotels I've found to be about 450 for a week for the twin room which I thought reasonable 

Flights I've not looked into yet 

The only thing I'm unsure about is if a visa is required?

Nah, UK citizens are visa exempt so nothing extra needed at all. 

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, Jamboross said:

That's definitely true about the women generally being more helpful. Think there's a bit of a generational thing as well as I've found it pretty common to be approached by elderly men wanting a chat! One bloke we couldn't shake off for about an hour, he had lived in Edinburgh for a few years and just stood on a street corner in Kyoto reminiscing about his time here and offering up all sorts of profound worldly advice. 

Never done the baseball thing as I tend to come over in late autumn or winter which I think is the off season but would love to experience a game at the Tokyo Dome. Going to the sumo tournaments at Ryogoku would be a cool experience too, it was on when we were there in January a few years ago but we couldn't figure out how to get tickets and it probably would have been sold out anyway. 

Only been once, have to be honest I found it pretty boring. Much more interesting was that one year I was shacked up in the 'Sumo ward' in the hospital that used to be next door when I snapped one of the bits that keeps the knee cap in place. The poor buggers are paid nothing and cleaned me out of clothes, they lead a pretty spartan and dull life apart from the handful that make it to the very top. Doing rehab with them was totally embarrassing in terms of the relative weights I could shift.

Jim_Duncan

Have always wanted to visit. Love Japanese art (Hokusai especially) and food, and the culture is very interesting. 

Jealous of all those heading there. 

A-23036-1259426180.jpg.1bb84d89635bc85b3688038353a4572a.jpg

Japan.

The first band I really got into around 1981/82 as a 13/14 year old.

I've tried to resist it but just couldn't let the thread go by without mentioning them.

Steve Jansen, far left, even looks like he's wearing a maroon scarf.

😊

Edited by martoon

On 06/06/2023 at 02:41, Jamboross said:

Hiroshima is fascinating for obvious reasons. Maybe a bit dark and morbid for a family holiday but I found the Peace Park and museum to be quite something. You can also take a trip over to Itsukushima with its 'floating' shrine and torii which is good day out, plenty walks around the island and I think there's a cable car that takes you a good chunk of the way up the mountain. Hiroshima is great for food too, Hiroshima style okonomyiaki is honestly the best Japanese food and I've no idea why it's never gained popularity over here the way ramen and sushi have! 

Superb mate, much appreciated.  So much info (which I will pass to my wife and son to dissect and plan!!!!!!)

17 hours ago, Jamboross said:

22 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

My wee boy, who's 12, has been teaching himself Japanese for about a year now, so hoping he'll be oor we interpreter!  Issue is he's massively shy, so nt sure he'll relish the role!

Whole trip was his idea - we told the kids lets do a big once in a lifetime family hol next year and we each came up with a presentation of where we'd like to go and voted.  His Japan beat my safari, and Costa Rica and Fiji! (plus the 5 yearold asked to go see the fairy trail at Archerfield, which we'll prob fit in some time!!!).

The one place I want to go to (I'm led by my stomach) is Monk in Kyoto https://restaurant-monk.com/ - possibly a bit overexposed now it was on Netflix, but looks amazing.  Not sure about kids there though.

We now have a wee folder and all your kind suggestions so far have been filed for investigation!

11 hours ago, martoon said:

A-23036-1259426180.jpg.1bb84d89635bc85b3688038353a4572a.jpg

Japan.

The first band I really got into around 1981/82 as a 13/14 year old.

I've tried to resist it but just couldn't let the thread go by without mentioning them.

Steve Jansen, far left, even looks like he's wearing a maroon scarf.

😊

Yep, they founded the place right?  Or was it just named after them?

Not sure if theres a country called Blur, but that would be my equiv!

Japan Jambo
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

My wee boy, who's 12, has been teaching himself Japanese for about a year now, so hoping he'll be oor we interpreter!  Issue is he's massively shy, so nt sure he'll relish the role!

Whole trip was his idea - we told the kids lets do a big once in a lifetime family hol next year and we each came up with a presentation of where we'd like to go and voted.  His Japan beat my safari, and Costa Rica and Fiji! (plus the 5 yearold asked to go see the fairy trail at Archerfield, which we'll prob fit in some time!!!).

The one place I want to go to (I'm led by my stomach) is Monk in Kyoto https://restaurant-monk.com/ - possibly a bit overexposed now it was on Netflix, but looks amazing.  Not sure about kids there though.

We now have a wee folder and all your kind suggestions so far have been filed for investigation!

Just looking at where the restaurant is prompts a memory - you can hire yukatas or even full kimonos at a shop near there if you want to play dress up for your instagram pics (very much a Kyoto only thing as far as I recall). Not sure I'd recommend it as the wooden shoes will really go for your feet but nonetheless might be up your street.

19 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Just looking at where the restaurant is prompts a memory - you can hire yukatas or even full kimonos at a shop near there if you want to play dress up for your instagram pics (very much a Kyoto only thing as far as I recall). Not sure I'd recommend it as the wooden shoes will really go for your feet but nonetheless might be up your street.

haha, not sure we'll bother.  JKB the only social media I do!!!!

On 05/06/2023 at 10:28, Japan Jambo said:

Hiya. Sorry I'm a bit late. 

Get a Japan Rail pass. You can travel all over. You don't need fancy hotels. There are some great budget hotels. My hubby and I use Toyoko Inn a lot. Small hotels, relatively new, and usually very near to a train station. The rooms are quite small, but plenty storage space under beds etc. They are spotless and cheap, and a buffet breakfast thrown in. Also Fresa Inn hotels a pretty good aswell. APA hotels too. All decently priced. 

The https://www.japan-guide.com site is definately the best site for information about places you want to visit. You will get days passes for the transport system in most cities. These are great as you can get off and on the public transport system as much as you want. 

I would check all this out before you go and PLAN your trip meticulously. The transport system in Japan is second to none, so you should be able to get around quite easily. As I said, have a set plan, and stick to it. 

Hope you have a fab time! 

Lynn. 

• 9 months later...
TheBigO

Right. On way to Japan this weekend!!!

Come on ex pats and previous visitors, where am i eating!? Feeling quite set for activities and know a bunch of places we WANT to eat but any recommendations in Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka much appreciated. The Japaneser the better!!

As an aside, finding it hard to work out when we do and don't need reservations.  Savoy Pizza for example, or Igor Cosy, bit worried we rock up and need a table but so tricky to see how online....

il Duce McTarkin
On 06/06/2023 at 22:50, Jim_Duncan said:

Jealous of all those heading there. 

Don't be. It's a shithole.

Jim_Duncan
2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Don't be. It's a shithole.

Just because you got bummed by some sumo wrestler don’t mean it’s a bad country. 

Was in the Japanese part of the British Museum last month. Some incredible stuff, well presented. 

@TheBigO have a great trip. 

TheBigO
3 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Just because you got bummed by some sumo wrestler don’t mean it’s a bad country. 

Was in the Japanese part of the British Museum last month. Some incredible stuff, well presented. 

@TheBigO have a great trip. 

Hey maybes that makes it a rather good country!!!

Jim_Duncan
Just now, TheBigO said:

Hey maybes that makes it a rather good country!!!

This ‘once in a lifetime’ family holiday just took a sinister turn 🤐

il Duce McTarkin
11 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Just because you got bummed by some sumo wrestler don’t mean it’s a bad country 

That's no way to speak about @Jeffros Furios.

13 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

You shoud have availed yourself upon the exhibits in the 'improvised field torture implements' section.

I go there once or twice a year for work.  I can't really provide advice about flights and hotels, but the advances in phones and being able to take a photo of signs/menus etc and having them translated into English on my screen has been very helpful.    Tokyo is a bit intimidating at first, but once you get used to it, it's a brilliant place.  The tiny bars in Golden Gai are great fun. https://tokyocheapo.com/food-and-drink/quick-guide-golden-gai/

The food is generally terrific, and I strongly recommend finding a couple of little local restaurants that you feel comfortable in.  Having a spicy Hokkaido curry (https://livejapan.com/en/in-hokkaido/in-pref-hokkaido/in-sapporo_chitose/article-a1000434/) and a few beers is one of my favourite things to do when I am there.

Kyoto is well worth a few days as well.  The Japanese tourists dressed up in geisha outfits (with boyfriends being dragged along usually also dressed up, but not always do happy about it) are a bit weird.

In general, it is a country I very much enjoy spending time in.

A good, friendly soup curry restaurant near Tokyo Station is here (and they sort of speak english) https://maps.app.goo.gl/CXW9Xi3wqT34s8658

Edited by Sydney

TheBigO
8 hours ago, Sydney said:

I go there once or twice a year for work.  I can't really provide advice about flights and hotels, but the advances in phones and being able to take a photo of signs/menus etc and having them translated into English on my screen has been very helpful.    Tokyo is a bit intimidating at first, but once you get used to it, it's a brilliant place.  The tiny bars in Golden Gai are great fun. https://tokyocheapo.com/food-and-drink/quick-guide-golden-gai/

The food is generally terrific, and I strongly recommend finding a couple of little local restaurants that you feel comfortable in.  Having a spicy Hokkaido curry (https://livejapan.com/en/in-hokkaido/in-pref-hokkaido/in-sapporo_chitose/article-a1000434/) and a few beers is one of my favourite things to do when I am there.

Kyoto is well worth a few days as well.  The Japanese tourists dressed up in geisha outfits (with boyfriends being dragged along usually also dressed up, but not always do happy about it) are a bit weird.

In general, it is a country I very much enjoy spending time in.

A good, friendly soup curry restaurant near Tokyo Station is here (and they sort of speak english) https://maps.app.goo.gl/CXW9Xi3wqT34s8658

Superb Sydney thanks very much. If you're holidaying in Musselburgh any time, happy to repay with the highlights and top spots

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Superb Sydney thanks very much. If you're holidaying in Musselburgh any time, happy to repay with the highlights and top spots

😂😂😂😂

IMG_6080.webp

IMG_6081.jpeg

TheBigO
4 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

😂😂😂😂

IMG_6080.webp

IMG_6081.jpeg

Cockroaches survive

highlandjambo3
38 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Cockroaches survive

No good bombing leith then 

GlasgoJambo

Enjoyed reading this thread this morning. @TheBigO you need to keep us informed how it all goes.

My mate went snowboarding with his best pal in Japan in January, with a week in the mountains and a week in Tokyo for a once in a lifetime experience. He did KLM via Amsterdam.
He said the snow was so good - champagne powder - and had such a great time in Tokyo that he’s quashed the idea of it being once in a lifetime trip and is already saving to go back and this time take his family. 

That thing you do

Ive been a few times to Tokyo Kyoto Osaka Hiroshima

For fun things to do I did real life Mario Kart through Tokyo. That was a brilliant experience.

We chose a home stay in Osaka with a local family. Turned out the wife was from Denmark and the husband was Japanese. Great experience stating with them.

Cheap and cheerful food includes Takoyaki in Osaka and Economiyaki in Hiroshima.

Standing where the bomb was dropped in Hiroshima was a very moving experience as well.

Great country. Expensive in a number of ways but we loved it and would happily go back with Sapporo on the list if we do.

cosanostra

Harajuku is my favourite area of Tokyo. There's a superb gyoza place that pretty much only sells gyoza and beer. It's phenomenal.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/94cGz9SCAvVrXmFBA

Check out Shimokitizawa as well. Great little area to wander around at night. 

This is the restaurant where Kiddo fights the crazy88 and O-Ren Ishi'i in Kill Bill. It's great but traditional Japanese food. Quite different to the usual. Awesome place to go though. Might need to book.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9BRxAt7uvD2qBUTM8

If you go to Osaka, the aquarium is phenomenonal. It's got barracuda and whale sharks. 🐋

martoon
On 28/03/2024 at 22:32, TheBigO said:

Come on ex pats and previous visitors, where am i eating!? Feeling quite set for activities and know a bunch of places we WANT to eat but any recommendations in Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka much appreciated. The Japaneser the better!!

As an aside, finding it hard to work out when we do and don't need reservations.  Savoy Pizza for example, or Igor Cosy, bit worried we rock up and need a table but so tricky to see how online....

Have a great time, Roy.

Try to visit Blur: one of Japan's lesser known tourist attractions. 😊

That thing you do
On 28/03/2024 at 16:32, TheBigO said:

In Osaka theres a whole street neon lit with Takoyaki places. Some of the art and creativity on the shop fronts is amazing. Any place there will fill you up with Takoyaki.

Theres even a takoyaki song on that street. Dotonburi area

Costanza

Been to Japan twice and it's an amazing country, would love to go back.

For food, best thing I had last time was the Ramen here: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g298564-d1702492-Reviews-Ginjoramenkubota-Kyoto_Kyoto_Prefecture_Kinki.html

There was a big queue outside with lots of locals (always a good sign) and you order from a small menu using a vending machine.

In Osaka, definitely try an Okonomiyaki restaurant where there's a hot plate built into your table and you grill your own food.

https://insideosaka.com/best-okonomiyaki-in-osaka/

Can see Sydney already mentioned Golden Gai for drinks in Tokyo which I would definitely second.