Andy Driver is towing a caravan.

Walter Bishop

Gregory House M.D.

No where near fit imo.

Huzzah! Another Andy Driver not fit thread. Just what we needed right above the "Andy Driver" thread. :thumbsup::P

Walter Bishop

And the best way to get match fit ????

Play matches.

I dont even mean match fit, just fit in general.

Driver needs competitive games to get his fitness levels and match sharpness back.

He can be such an important player for us that I think playing him is well worth it in the long run.

Johanes de Silentio

Is it better to try to win the game by playing a fully-fit side, or to use games to get players fit?

Howdy Doody Jambo

No where near fit imo.

It's going to take him a run of 6-8 , 90 minute games to get properly match fit be patient , i hope Hearts get him on a longer contract soon , would hate to see him leave for nothing

Players can do all the train ing they want but it's full competetive games that will get them fit

Thunderstruck

Towing a caravan is a description that would have suited KK for a large part of last season. There were days when, at the end of the game, his legs were going up and down but he was going nowhere. He still played a big part in the season. KK last year and AD aRe behind the curve in fitness terms - game time will help.

Is it better to try to win the game by playing a fully-fit side, or to use games to get players fit?

It's not an either or and but rather a question of balance. Striking that balance is an important part of the manager's job. We might well have lost this match anyway had Driver not played and future matches of equal or greater importance may be won because Andy has progressed by playing in it. One has to hope so as the player in question is one of our very best.

Dint think he's chubby, think he's been working a lot on upper body strength as there wasn't much other training he could do for a long time. Give Driver another 3 or 4 games and he'll be back. Think positive!

Guest C00l K1d

Dint think he's chubby, think he's been working a lot on upper body strength as there wasn't much other training he could do for a long time. Give Driver another 3 or 4 games and he'll be back. Think positive!

What i think is a bit weird is he wasn't getting a game at all under JJ but now he's in the starting 11 under Serg

The above is yet another instance where the highly questionable scraping of the reserve league comes into question.

It was ultimately a competition, with hungry u19's looking to make the step-up, and a lot of fringe players trying to make their way back into first-team affairs.

A random bounce game against Berwick or Dunfermline is not the same.

Andy Driver will come good, he's hardly played for 2 year. Takes a few games to get his touch and confidence back fully. :ermm:

Snake Plissken

Andy Driver will come good, he's hardly played for 2 year. Takes a few games to get his touch and confidence back fully. :ermm:

Exactly, if a few slightly indifferent games is the price we have to pay to get Andy back to his best, it's worth it.

That said, he is someone capable of a moment of magic out of nothing, fit or not, so he'll hardly be a passenger. Lest we forget he scored in his first game back.

J Cheever Loophole

Exactly, if a few slightly indifferent games is the price we have to pay to get Andy back to his best, it's worth it.

That said, he is someone capable of a moment of magic out of nothing, fit or not, so he'll hardly be a passenger. Lest we forget he scored in his first game back.

Was it not AD that had that snap shot in the first half?Bringing out a great save from the Well' keeper.

He was a bit unlucky not to score. But his lack of sharpness led to him getting caught in possession in dangerous areas a couple of times. Perhaps Driver would be best bet in a striker supporting role.

kingantti1874

well he isnt fit but having not played for 2 years and no reserbve football what do you expect, i think he showed enough to once again demonstrate he will be our best player if he gets 3 or 4 90 mins under his belt...

It's going to take him a run of 6-8 , 90 minute games to get properly match fit be patient , i hope Hearts get him on a longer contract soon , would hate to see him leave for nothing

Players can do all the train ing they want but it's full competetive games that will get them fit

You can get competitive games in the reserves and put in the work. Sometimes you see other clubs players return from lengthy injury and they are bursting at the seams. They maybe last 60-70 mins but they put in a shift. Bust a gut.

kingantti1874

You can get competitive games in the reserves and put in the work. Sometimes you see other clubs players return from lengthy injury and they are bursting at the seams. They maybe last 60-70 mins but they put in a shift. Bust a gut.

no reserve league

Am I correct in saying that he has played 2 hours of football and scored 1 goal.

He must be our top player for goals to minutes played.thumbsup.gif

mahgrassyshoes

A big part of the problem is Andy has spent so long in the gym he seems to have been building up the wrong type of muscle and he's maybe lost a wee bit of pace. As many have said only game time will get him match fit and rectify that. What says a lot is, we're all discussing him being "unfit" and yet he scored on Thursday and had our best chance yesterday.

This, he's been in the gym alot working on the top half of his body while he's been injured. Trains with Scott Brown sometimes who's been helping him out.

Clerry Jambo

What is surely positive for the lad is that he has come through 2 tough matches relatively unscathed as far as I'm aware and appears to have no reaction to his injuries. :thumbsup:

Andy Driver is NOT part of Hearts problems at the moment

Have completely written Driver off as a player who will ever regain his form or make an impact fr Hearts again. Just the same as I have completely written Webster offs.

If either of these players make a reasonable contribution this season I will be pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Driver is just like so many of our players, grossly overhyped, as our record since February suggests about the squad. He was an average SPL player who had a little bit of pace and needed to improve dramatically before his injury. Since then has has hardly played a competitive game in two seasons. So he is now an a very average SPL player who has little pace and needs to improve dramatically.

Have completely written Driver off as a player who will ever regain his form or make an impact fr Hearts again. Just the same as I have completely written Webster offs.

If either of these players make a reasonable contribution this season I will be pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Driver is just like so many of our players, grossly overhyped, as our record since February suggests about the squad. He was an average SPL player who had a little bit of pace and needed to improve dramatically before his injury. Since then has has hardly played a competitive game in two seasons. So he is now an a very average SPL player who has little pace and needs to improve dramatically.

Andy Driver was not an average SPL player. Average SPL players do not attract 2.5 million pound offers from down south. Average SPL players donot have the national manager trying to prove there eligibility to play. Average SPL players do not get called up for England under 21 squads.

Governor Tarkin

What is surely positive for the lad is that he has come through 2 tough matches relatively unscathed as far as I'm aware and appears to have no reaction to his injuries. :thumbsup:

Andy Driver is NOT part of Hearts problems at the moment

I'll agree with this. The more games he plays the more his confidence will grow. After such a bad run of injuries lack of confidence is as big a hindrance as lack of fitness.

Tokyo Drifter

Thought he looked slow against Paksi. Dunno who was summarising for Radio Scotland yesterday but he remarked on his lack of pace at one point and said "I think he's been injured hasn't he?". Nothing like doing your research, is there? What an astute comment. The guy then described a Motherwell player as not being able to cope with Driver's pace, so I dunno who that was.

Norfolk and Chance

Thought he looked slow against Paksi. Dunno who was summarising for Radio Scotland yesterday but he remarked on his lack of pace at one point and said "I think he's been injured hasn't he?". Nothing like doing your research, is there? What an astute comment. The guy then described a Motherwell player as not being able to cope with Driver's pace, so I dunno who that was.

It was steven craigan and i think I might be faster than him

It was steven craigan and i think I might be faster than him

Pretty sure it was Sandy Clarky (not sure how you could get a Scottish guy mixed up with Craigan!). Clark seems to be a little bit anti-Hearts these days for some unknown reason.

In terms of Driver, I happen to look at it from the glass half full angle because I am always the optimist. I think considering the injuries he's had, how long he's been out and how stop/start it's all been Andy has actually looked decent with the promise of much more to come.

beefybathgate

Fat, unfit, shocking touch, no vision, scared to tackle = Andy Driver at this moment in time. End of.

To me it doesnt look just like match fitness as such; more general desire, bottle and willingness to put his foot into a challenge or the ball.

Quite regularly so far he has had the ball and refused to run with it or compete for it. I am afraid I think these injuries may have finished him off in terms of the potential he had. I do suspect we will find he will drift in and out of the team now until his contract expires.

Hope I am wrong and the pacey exciting winger who got an u21 call up for england comes back but not convinced it will happen.

Some absolute plums on this thread writing off Driver!

First of all acknowledging the fact he's been out for about 2 years injured but then not giving him the chance to get his fitness back before judging him.

:teehee:

Maybe try and engage brain before typing.

Mr Brightside

Pretty sure it was Sandy Clarky (not sure how you could get a Scottish guy mixed up with Craigan!).

I think he meant it was Craigan that Driver outpaced.

From watching the highlights it would appear that any attacking play we had all involved Driver at some point.

1. competetive reserve games must be re introduced.

2. driver will come good again with games.

3. cant beleive some fans tutting and booing the boy when we all know what hes been through give the guy a break for gods sake

hearts_crazy

He was a pretty slow yesterday, on Thursday too, but he also had our best chances. I think he would be better off just behind the main Striker, he's got a good hard, accurate shot on him, that could be the answer, Temps on right (notwithstanding the fact that he seems to have forgotten how to take the ball past players), Novikovas on left and Driver playing off Sutton. Hmmmm, interesting thought

Francis Albert

Unbelievable stuff on here. I could swear against Paks I saw Andy sprint about 50 yards to stop a ball going out for a goal kick that I doubt anyone except Andy thought he had a chance of catching. ( I nominate him for Caravanning Magazines "tower of the year" award). And put in quite a few meaty challenges. And score with a great finish. All in his first start in about 18 months.

No where near fit imo.

I dont even mean match fit, just fit in general.

Thats his problem at the moment, he's unfit.

Archived