League form in seasons when we play in Europe....

Martin_T

.....is traditionally honking. Looking back at the last 5 or so seasons we played in Europe:

2009/10 - 6th place with less points than 7th placed Hamilton

2006/7 - 4th place, early exits from both cups and all with a budget massively bigger than 3rd placed Aberdeen

2004/5 - 5th place, a long way behind 3rd place Hibs

2003/4 - the exception, a comfortable 3rd place

2000/1 - a distant 5th

1998/99 - 6th, flirted with relegation until the last few games.

I appreciate that it is early days, but traditionally Hearts have proven to be gash in seasons we've played in Europe. Even the great European run of 1989, was accompanied with a bottom half finish.

.....is traditionally honking. Looking back at the last 5 or so seasons we played in Europe:

2009/10 - 6th place with less points than 7th placed Hamilton

2006/7 - 4th place, early exits from both cups and all with a budget massively bigger than 3rd placed Aberdeen

2004/5 - 5th place, a long way behind 3rd place Hibs

2003/4 - the exception, a comfortable 3rd place

2000/1 - a distant 5th

1998/99 - 6th, flirted with relegation until the last few games.

I appreciate that it is early days, but traditionally Hearts have proven to be gash in seasons we've played in Europe. Even the great European run of 1989, was accompanied with a bottom half finish.

But this is the challenge for me. Becoming a stronger institution by handling it. Sad thing is, we hardly last long in europe so why do we never recover better?

Hawick Jambo

Can I add to the equation that we never play well, when we have to play midweek and then at a weekend.

Whether that be in Europe / League Cup / whatever.

Other teams with less resources seem to handle it but for some reason we have been terribly bad at it for a long time now

Correct,

I didnt think we'd start the season great tbh,tough fixtures and more games,we just cant seem to handle this and the euro hangover always seems to catch us.

Early days and a new gaffer though,better this happens now than later on the season.

Archived