No Patience

Jambothroughandthrough

At what point did I suggest the fans turned 'nasty'? I said the fans were 'frustrated'. Huge difference.

Read the entire post and thread to get an understanding of what the majority are saying and discussing. Also.....you think the 'crowd were quite grown up' tonight.....it's just a pity your final sentence is not.

Pity.

How did the fans air their frustration if not by turning nasty? Some of the crowd were nasty and if that's not what you meant by your original post then what did you mean?

I heard 'for ***** sake hearts, that's ******* shite, you're a ******joke' also 'driver you're ******* finished, get off.

I'm not saying it's the nastiest I've heard the crowd, far from it but the crowd were nasty at points.

Also, you need to develop a bit of a thick skin if you're gonna post on here. You're talking to guys who go to games week in week out and your spraff on the radio has left you open to the odd wee dig IMO.

As long as there is purpose and movement in the last third it`s important to be patient. As said, the frustration probably comes from times when the ball is being knocked about without any intent to hurt the opposition....(Sergio pointed this out himself)

While i hate overpassing, i equally hate when i see us rush the ball forward without any thought.

At what point did I suggest the fans turned 'nasty'? I said the fans were 'frustrated'. Huge difference.

Read the entire post and thread to get an understanding of what the majority are saying and discussing. Also.....you think the 'crowd were quite grown up' tonight.....it's just a pity your final sentence is not.

Pity.

Oh dear. Ewan. Read my post. I didnt say the crowd turned nasty. Thats what i said they didnt do. How about you read MY post to get an understanding of what i'm saying. I know i keep coming back to this, but you're a journalist. It blows my mind, it really does.

Sorry to see you to took such offence to a light hearted jibe, however when you vaunt your season ticket as an indicator of the fact that you're a real fan you have to expect that will lead people to poke fun at your 'real fan' status up to that point. Non?

Good OP and some decent counter points. I think we lack movement up front when Sutton plays. That's 3 games I've seen and little intelligence from him. Massively harsh from me there as it's early days for the big fella but that's what I've seen so far.

That said, I've spent many a game in the stands cringing at huffing and puffing and cries of get in forward and geti it in the box while we're doing nothing more than keeping calm and dictating the pace. It's a bit of a curse on the Scottish game. Many fans won't accept anything other than up'n'at'em.

Recently we've had quite a few on here say the likes of "Obua did OK, never lost he ball, but never plays a meaningful pass". As long as you look to get the ball back, most passes we play to a team member are meaningful in that they drag around and fatigue the opposition just that tad more. Especially at home when most teams in our league sit camped in, patience is massively the key.

Rather than sit on our hands becoming frustrated, building the atmosphere in the stands as our team knocks the ball around would be much more productive. Even when the ball goes all the way back to Kello - we're waiting for one the oppo to break rank and then we have the players in Driver, Rudi, Temps etc to exploit it.

FWIW I reckon Temps didn't retain possession more than 5 times last night, yet he's given leeway as he loses the ball running with it and looking dangerous. If we allowed our team some patience, Temps would be afforded a bit more space to actually be dangerous.

For all that, we do need the players in the midfield with a bit of guile. I think Black, Obua and Mehdi all have this and if we're to play a patient game, I think we're well off for it.

The only problem I have with this 'european football' is that we cant string 4 passes across the back without at least one

of them being horribly long / short or badly misplaced :down:

Also there were many times when there was ( IMO ) a nice incisive ball to be found between two Pax players but instead

we opted for a long ball backwards.

It's clear our players either don't have the confidence to make such a pass or don't have the vision to see it in the 1st place !

In Sergio we trust though :thumbsup:

The People's Chimp

Just back from game. Great result and look forward to the next round. However, I have to say I was surprised at the level of frustration shown tonight from some fans while we passed it about with comfort.

The score is 0-0 and we're in control of the ball. We're probing. We're trying to find a way through their 10 man defence. We have them camped in their own half. We go down the left it comes to nothing. The balls is passed back to Zaliukas to start again. The fans didn't like this and vented their frustration. Why?

This happened a good few times in the first half. When we have the ball they can't score. We kept possession well and passed it about at ease looking for a way through.

There was a moment in the first half when RM tried a long diagonal and the manager went ape at him. He motioned to stay calm and pass the ball.

Fans need to show some patience. I loved seeing us stroke the ball about with ease and not the lump at front at the first opportunity.

In the words of Take That........'Have a little Patience

I agree. It was ludicrous. Especially when we're going to have to get used to this style of play.

Magic shout Oatesy!!

Do you like Hall and Oates? I do, they're something of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

I don't think there is a ground in the country where you won't hear a few dingdongs moaning about players passing it around a bit and not walloping it up the park into the mix. Probably the same dingdongs that moan when the ball gets launched up the park at every given opportunity.

Anybody who gets "frustrated" by this doesn't watch a lot of live football.

Gregory House M.D.

I hate the slow passing "let's wait for an opportunity to smack us in the face" shite. Bores me to tears. If we play like that, I'll tear my eyes out.

Patrick Bateman

I agree. It was ludicrous. Especially when we're going to have to get used to this style of play.

No we won't. Paulo Sergio has already stated that he likes his teams to attack.

As for moaning, there was an old codger in front of me who would periodically shout "Not back the way" - Which is kind of unreasonable when he shouts it STRAIGHT from kick off. I also enjoyed it when he shouted "That's TERRIBLE" after a tactical foul. Whilst 4-0 up. Some Hearts fans, and probably football fans in general, know so little about football it's painful. :ninja:

As for moaning, there was an old codger in front of me who would periodically shout "Not back the way" - Which is kind of unreasonable when he shouts it STRAIGHT from kick off. I also enjoyed it when he shouted "That's TERRIBLE" after a tactical foul. Whilst 4-0 up. Some Hearts fans, and probably football fans in general, know so little about football it's painful. :ninja:

An attacking style of play doesn't mean gung-ho though. A balance is needed.

I say this alot. We're better than 9 of the teams in our league and need to get better at dictating them. Even in our 31from33 last season, we rarely were all over teams. We generally counter attacked and were ruthless. This is great but I don't think it can be sustained over a season. We must learn how to take the game to teams. Slow slow slow, fast fast fast.

Agree with your post though

I hate the slow passing "let's wait for an opportunity to smack us in the face" shite. Bores me to tears. If we play like that, I'll tear my eyes out.

Predictably. Will you be able to type with no eyes?

Walter Bishop

Just back from game. Great result and look forward to the next round. However, I have to say I was surprised at the level of frustration shown tonight from some fans while we passed it about with comfort.

The score is 0-0 and we're in control of the ball. We're probing. We're trying to find a way through their 10 man defence. We have them camped in their own half. We go down the left it comes to nothing. The balls is passed back to Zaliukas to start again. The fans didn't like this and vented their frustration. Why?

This happened a good few times in the first half. When we have the ball they can't score. We kept possession well and passed it about at ease looking for a way through.

There was a moment in the first half when RM tried a long diagonal and the manager went ape at him. He motioned to stay calm and pass the ball.

Fans need to show some patience. I loved seeing us stroke the ball about with ease and not the lump at front at the first opportunity.

In the words of Take That........'Have a little Patience

This sums up Scottish football, most fans would rather see a 50/50 crunching tackle than a 20 pass move! :sergioyay:

Its a strange one.

The fans were really up for this game waiting for an up an at them kinda start but ended up having to sit quietly on their erses till something happened.

Funny night really with the fans pumped up and the team slowly passing the ball around.

:unsure:

Magic shout Oatesy!!

Do you like Hall and Oates? I do, they're something of a guilty pleasure of mine.

I'd never heard of them, but after checking out some YouTube vids of them, I've come to the conclusion that Richard Gough and Lionel Richie perform well together :)

They got soul B)

Francis Albert

I liked the way Sergio was continually asking the fullbacks to get wide and make themselves available for the ball to be passed out or thrown by the keeper rather than just blootered upfield as normal. Yes, Sergio has work to do in getting players generally to make themselves available for passes (it's been a glaring problem for ages) but I was delighted with the evidence that he intends us to play proper football.

And yes,there were lots of cries around me to "get it forward" when we retained possession rather than punt it.

If you keep the ball and keep knocking it around, eventually an opening will present itself.

The idea is to frustrate and stretch the opposition, to dominate them and convince them that they are second best.

It's a 'mental' thing as much as a physical.

Totally agree. In fact, delving into my extensive, if not always accurate, memory banks I believe our very first foray into European group stages highlighted this very fact. IIRC Feyenoord's opening goal (which may have ultimately been offside but that's beside the point as it counted) came from a move when they just kept spreading the play from wing to wing. They must have done it baout 4 or 5 times in the move, just stretching our midfield and turning our defence as they edged their way up the park before delivering a killer final ball.

I hope there is footage to back me up as it may just be a Dutch beer filled, romantic memory of how I believe football should be played!

Its a strange one.

The fans were really up for this game waiting for an up an at them kinda start but ended up having to sit quietly on their erses till something happened.

Funny night really with the fans pumped up and the team slowly passing the ball around.

:unsure:

I was thinking that last night. I'm glad we were so comfortable and everything but a wee bit of me wonders if it might have been worth it if things hadn't been quite as easy for us - could have been a seriously top notch excitable atmosphere.... ;)

The OP has a point though. There was a fair bit of nonsense chat flying around and while you can put some of that down to recent events, residual nerves and a desire to progress in the Europa League....much of it was just that rubbish people come out with because they like the sound of their own voices. There are a good few who just open their mouths and let their bellies rumble. I cannot for the life of me work out what this approach is intended to achieve but y'know, they obviously think they sound pretty clever or something.

The good chat far outweighed it last night though, or drowned it out in the end anyway....but I hope it doesn't make a return during our next SPL fixture. There has been a growing level of arsey grumblings lately.

Francis Albert

I was thinking that last night. I'm glad we were so comfortable and everything but a wee bit of me wonders if it might have been worth it if things hadn't been quite as easy for us - could have been a seriously top notch excitable atmosphere.... ;)

The OP has a point though. There was a fair bit of nonsense chat flying around and while you can put some of that down to recent events, residual nerves and a desire to progress in the Europa League....much of it was just that rubbish people come out with because they like the sound of their own voices. There are a good few who just open their mouths and let their bellies rumble. I cannot for the life of me work out what this approach is intended to achieve but y'know, they obviously think they sound pretty clever or something.

The good chat far outweighed it last night though, or drowned it out in the end anyway....but I hope it doesn't make a return during our next SPL fixture. There has been a growing level of arsey grumblings lately.

I'll happily take 4-1 wins for the rest of the season and miss out on top notch excitable atmosphere.

I'll happily take 4-1 wins for the rest of the season and miss out on top notch excitable atmosphere.

Well yes, there is a good case for that sort of approach...

But sometimes winning narrowly, being under massive pressure and spending the entire 90 minutes on the edge of your seat has a lot to be said for it too. I like it when I leave games exhausted, maybe I'm a bit of a weirdo... :biggrin:

The Old Tolbooth

I think the OP is spot on with his assertions of the game to be honest, this was Sergio's first game in charge and it's going to take some time for the players to adapt to his style of playing. Once we start getting used to it then results and improvement will come (although 4-1 was a pretty good start in my book)

Also, the OP put across a very good point, why can't people just answer the bloody point rather than try to start a war with him, if folk don't have anything constructive to add, then don't say anything at all, it might help your warning meter a wee bit, it's tedious and boring.

I was loving the way we were passing last night, however we did that in stages against them in the 1st leg... Its easy against a useless team... See how it pans out against a motherwell.. Would love Hearts to play like that every week.

I text a friend during the game saying we are passing well, looking good and it should be easy. His reply, its no use passing along our back line. It annoys me the folk cant see that attack starts at the bark and should be played on the ground.. Hopefully get used to it if Paulo gets his way..

I think the OP is spot on with his assertions of the game to be honest, this was Sergio's first game in charge and it's going to take some time for the players to adapt to his style of playing. Once we start getting used to it then results and improvement will come (although 4-1 was a pretty good start in my book)

Also, the OP put across a very good point, why can't people just answer the bloody point rather than try to start a war with him, if folk don't have anything constructive to add, then don't say anything at all, it might help your warning meter a wee bit, it's tedious and boring.

Very much this. Yeah, he was once on the radio and said a few things you might be forgiven for finding a bit infuriating or disloyal, but please please get over it. He's just another poster, another Hearts fan and this obsession with keeping him up there as some sort of aggro figure is getting seriously dull.

Doesn't happen all that often around here, I know...but this would be a good time to try to remember to debate the post, not the poster....

It does annoy me when folf moan if the ball is not played forwards every pass that is made. You do not see the Barca crowd moaning while they are knocking the ball about. When like last night were in control of the tie and they need to score the longer we keep the ball, the less chance there is of them scoring. I would love to see us knock the ball about like that in the league and be patient in our build up instead of panicking and thumping it long after a few passes. I agree though there needs to be more movement from players in the middle of the park coming in looking for the ball to feet for this to happen.

This sums up Scottish football, most fans would rather see a 50/50 crunching tackle than a 20 pass move! :sergioyay:

I dinnae want to see a 20 pass move( i know you were exaggerating a bit), i want to see efficiency. Look no furhter than the team of

06 for that.....

The codger was correct. You are not allowed to pass the ball backward from the kick off. The ball must travel forward.

:lol:

If that's the game we are going to play we need centre backs that can pass the ball better than Zaliukas

Or midfielders who make themselves available for a pass?

scott_jambo

This is just an excuse for a few on here to pretend they are football connisuers (cant be assed checking the spelling of it).

Before the first goal, no-one was taking responsibilty to retrieve the ball from the defence.

In the last 10-15 mins we were getting slack and passed it around the defence thinking the game was won which resulted in numerous chances and a goal for the opposition. (I discount Hammil from this who actually mixed it up a bit with a few good crossfield passes).

If we are going to model ourselves on a premiership team, I want it to be more Man Utd/Chelsea than a poor mans Arsenal - leave that for the flairmeisters in LEEF.

Adi Dassler

I would attribute this to the amount of arseholes the club seemed to have picked up over the past 5-6 years.

How many times have we heard the team booed off the park at half-time because they're not 2 goals up at home?

I find that most of these tossers are overweight, replica shirt wearing, mingebags.

Johanes de Silentio

Were you in the Gorgie Stand? Quite high up?

Archived