No Patience

Jambothroughandthrough

Jambothroughandthrough

Just back from game. Great result and look forward to the next round. However, I have to say I was surprised at the level of frustration shown tonight from some fans while we passed it about with comfort.

The score is 0-0 and we're in control of the ball. We're probing. We're trying to find a way through their 10 man defence. We have them camped in their own half. We go down the left it comes to nothing. The balls is passed back to Zaliukas to start again. The fans didn't like this and vented their frustration. Why?

This happened a good few times in the first half. When we have the ball they can't score. We kept possession well and passed it about at ease looking for a way through.

There was a moment in the first half when RM tried a long diagonal and the manager went ape at him. He motioned to stay calm and pass the ball.

Fans need to show some patience. I loved seeing us stroke the ball about with ease and not the lump at front at the first opportunity.

In the words of Take That........'Have a little Patience

Think the frustration was more to do with the lack of movement ahead of the ball early on

Just back from game. Great result and look forward to the next round. However, I have to say I was surprised at the level of frustration shown tonight from some fans while we passed it about with comfort.

The score is 0-0 and we're in control of the ball. We're probing. We're trying to find a way through their 10 man defence. We have them camped in their own half. We go down the left it comes to nothing. The balls is passed back to Zaliukas to start again. The fans didn't like this and vented their frustration. Why?

This happened a good few times in the first half. When we have the ball they can't score. We kept possession well and passed it about at ease looking for a way through.

There was a moment in the first half when RM tried a long diagonal and the manager went ape at him. He motioned to stay calm and pass the ball.

Fans need to show some patience. I loved seeing us stroke the ball about with ease and not the lump at front at the first opportunity.

I was saying the exact same thing at the game.

I think we're going to see a lot more of this style of play now as this seems to be the way that Paulo Sergio likes to play. Sounds good to me!! Just wish people would have more patiance and not get on players backs so quickly, it's not going to achieve anything!!

We were slowly into stride but have patience I agree. Class told in the end but this side won 3 nil away from home last leg and we done a professional job IMO

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

Completely agree OP.

I think most of our fans are used to lumping balls up to the strikers, so passing around the back may have seemed a bit daft to them!

Impressed by the new style of play - but some creases still need to be ironed out.

Jambothroughandthrough

Think the frustration was more to do with the lack of movement ahead of the ball early on

I thought that to begin with but it wasn't. It happened a lot in the first half before we scored. There was Much frustration when we were passing it along the back four.

topped off by the guy who shouted "paulo,get him selt" after Andy Driver miscontrolled the ball,was very pleased when Andy scored

Toxteth O'Grady

If that's the game we are going to play we need centre backs that can pass the ball better than Zaliukas

I think you are both right. The attack and the midfield will need to show more for the defence if we are going to pass it out from the back like that. The fans will have to get used to it as well.

If that's the game we are going to play we need centre backs that can pass the ball better than Zaliukas

or Mrowiec who fires the ball at you like you were 100 miles away

Buffalo Bill

If you keep the ball and keep knocking it around, eventually an opening will present itself.

The idea is to frustrate and stretch the opposition, to dominate them and convince them that they are second best.

It's a 'mental' thing as much as a physical.

south morocco

paks were always coming to sit in and counter,we will have that many times this season at home if we start playing ok so the fans better get used to us wearing them down

That's what I was thinking, certainly up in the perilous heights of the back row of section G there was nobody shouting to get the ball pumped forward or anything like that

Although being in G means I'm surrounded by a better class of fan

:smuggy:

Gorgie Road stand Ewan?

I thought that to begin with but it wasn't. It happened a lot in the first half before we scored. There was Much frustration when we were passing it along the back four.

It's not happened before but I actually find myself agreeing with you. What I will say though is for those of us who go to most of the games it has been a long time since we have seen a win in a competitive game.

That could well explain the built up frustration.

Guest juvehearts

what pissed me of was the lack of ability to stroke a 5/10/15/20 yard pass to a team mate

the very basic of a footballer

lack of movement also riled me up.

still a very good game

juve

scott_jambo

Disagree.

Black and Mroweic were hiding from Zal and Jonsson before we got the first goal.

Sutton's movent was ok in spells but other times static and Temps has a habit of running away from the ball.

When we got the break from the goal (poor goalkeeping) then the midfield grew in confidence with the goal cushion. As much as Michael Stewart's indiscipline was negative towards Hearts general play, at least he always demanded the ball off the defence to build an attack.

I have no problem with patience and Tynecastle can sometimes be impatient, but it was the lack of movement that was winding people up, Zal should not have to keep on taking it upon himself to be designated playmaker.

In the words of Danny Dyer. "Jog on Ewan"

Is say the fans were half the reason we've went longer in the past. At Ibrox and in Hungary we kept the ball well for long periods. united we seem to have went more direct after going behind.

gowestjambo

Well we certainly have mastered passing the ball sideways!

However, as mentioned if there is no movement or players showing for the ball it is like watching paint dry!

I think we must be the most static team in the league. This led to us lumping the ball long against D, Utd.

All for retaining possession, but not just for the sake of it, it has to lead to an attack eventually!

The thing is, he hit a few superb passes. he played one brilliant through ball down the left. The problem is that it is such a mixed bag. You'll get a few great balls and a few that put us in bother.

I did wonder at the game if the new coach knows what he is letting himself in for by giving Zal a licence to play more football.

Sadly you hear this lack of patience at almost every single ground in the UK when the ball's not being forced forward on every possession.

Then these same people will complain that our national teams can't play football as well as their opponents!

Jambothroughandthrough

That's what I was thinking, certainly up in the perilous heights of the back row of section G there was nobody shouting to get the ball pumped forward or anything like that

Although being in G means I'm surrounded by a better class of fan

:smuggy:

Gorgie Road stand Ewan?

Yip. Gorgie Road Stand.

Most of the frustration appeared to be coming from your direction haha

Well we certainly have mastered passing the ball sideways!

However, as mentioned if there is no movement or players showing for the ball it is like watching paint dry!

I think we must be the most static team in the league. This led to us lumping the ball long against D, Utd.

All for retaining possession, but not just for the sake of it, it has to lead to an attack eventually!

Although retaining possession is important I agree with this. We are far too static and sometimes there are not enough options for the player on the ball this leads to long range passes and losing possession.

willie wallace

I think the frustration was more aimed at the lack of a final ball rather than the style of play.Too often the ball was played back because we ran out of ideas in the final third and not because they put us under any great pressure.There were not many times when we cut them open with quick incisive passing but hopefully that will come.Would love to see an attacking midfielder added to the squad for this style of play.

david mcgee

Tonight they had to score we didnt, so keeping possesion and staying calm was the order of the day.

Thought we played it very well in the main.

Interestingly Zaliuskas gave us a couple of awkward moments before he was replaced and Mrowiec had one lapse of concentration although i thought he played pretty well.

Zaliuskas now looks the weakest link, it will be interesting what the new manager makes of him.

Best wishes to the new manager and good to hear him dedicate the win to JJ.

Being honest i think we would have won this tie with Vlad in charge.

Stevenson was man of the match and he praised JJ big style after the game in the Gorgie Suite, he likes what he has seen of the new manager and as the players are professional they will give him their all.

Definately all you can ask of players. The fans as usual were magnificent. I have no doubt the new manager with the players and fans we have can be a huge success.

So for gods sake Vlad, shut the F. up ,let him manage, stop tinkering and turn off the frickin fax machine.

aitcheeayartees

There was a moment in the first half when RM tried a long diagonal and the manager went ape at him. He motioned to stay calm and pass the ball

Did you manage to find your way to back Tynecastle by yourself?............. :whistling::D

Jambothroughandthrough

Disagree.

Black and Mroweic were hiding from Zal and Jonsson before we got the first goal.

Sutton's movent was ok in spells but other times static and Temps has a habit of running away from the ball.

When we got the break from the goal (poor goalkeeping) then the midfield grew in confidence with the goal cushion. As much as Michael Stewart's indiscipline was negative towards Hearts general play, at least he always demanded the ball off the defence to build an attack.

I have no problem with patience and Tynecastle can sometimes be impatient, but it was the lack of movement that was winding people up, Zal should not have to keep on taking it upon himself to be designated playmaker.

In the words of Danny Dyer. "Jog on Ewan"

What movie is that quote from?

In the words of Sergio 'pass the ball and stay calm'.

JamboAberdeen

I was very impressed the way team approached the game, even Kello was trying to pass the ball to DF/MF instead of punting up front!

But still lot of work to do fore sure, little movement, very poor mutual understanding, lack of creativity and so on.

I'm sure Paulo will address these issues in coming days.

I could see that finally Romanov revolution might arrive, which ended before start at Burley sacking in 2005. :thumbsup:

jambopompey

you in section Z, as i have a **** that sits in front of me who moans for the whole 90 minutes, even pointed out to a few beside me that imagine Zal passing to a Hearts player as and punt may loose posetion, a ball thats not even under control and why did that player not place a pass, thank god i drink or i would be a news headline on your station for murder

Jambothroughandthrough

I was very impressed the way team approached the game, even Kello was trying to pass the ball to DF/MF instead of punting up front!

But still lot of work to do fore sure, little movement, very poor mutual understanding, lack of creativity and so on.

I could see that finally Romanov revolution might arrive, which ended before start at Burley sacking in 2005. :thumbsup:

Kello's distribution tonight was superb. Two great saves as well.

scott_jambo

What movie is that quote from?

In the words of Sergio 'pass the ball and stay calm'.

[modedit]

I disagree, i'd say that's one of Zal's best traits actually.

It just comes down to a lack of understanding of professional sport and as someone said earlier, waiting for your opportunity.

Presumably these people also get frustrated when boxers don't go hell for leather in the first 30 seconds of a fight and snooker players play safety shots for ten minutes.

Fair enough if folk get a bit antsy if we're doing it with ten minutes to go and we're a goal down but at 0-0 when we lead on away goals and the opposition are camped in their own half fans need a bit of understanding.

fabienleclerq

It just comes down to a lack of understanding of professional sport and as someone said earlier, waiting for your opportunity.

Presumably these people also get frustrated when boxers don't go hell for leather in the first 30 seconds of a fight and snooker players play safety shots for ten minutes.

Fair enough if folk get a bit antsy if we're doing it with ten minutes to go and we're a goal down but at 0-0 when we lead on away goals and the opposition are camped in their own half fans need a bit of understanding.

Spot on, i heard a guy on sunday scream get it forward,grainger obliged and kenneth mopped it up then he shouted that's shoite!!

P.s I don't like real radio :whistling:

played a quality through ball up the left wing :thumbsup:

Jambothroughandthrough

I agree. Was pleased with the way we approached the game tonight.

The moderators have removed a couple of posts from this thread already and will be monitoring the thread closely.

Please debate the topic and avoid personal remarks.

Thanks.

david mcgee

I disagree, i'd say that's one of Zal's best traits actually.

I like a lot of the things Zal does but he has a calamity in every game, even at the level we play in you cant afford that.

Zal is a great football player when you compare him to someone like Bouzid, but Bouzid new his limitations and whenever the ball came to him in a dangerous area he lumped it into row Z.

Zal has failed to learn that lesson in all his years in the SPL.

If he could only distinguish the times to play football and the times to lump it he would be an all time great.

Right now, i am sorry to say he is a liability.

I thought, all told, the crowd was quite understanding and at times complimentary of the way we held on to the ball. Sure, everyone's got a nutter who sits near them that demands decisive cutting passes everytime but over all the crowd didn't get too anxious at any point.

considering the extent we passed the ball around the back line, especially at 0-0, I thought the crowd were quite grown up about the situation and I respectfully disagree with the OP. Still, he's not used to live football so probably doesn't realise what its like when a crowd turns nasty on their own team...

Jamboman1512

need to train at the passing a bit and the movement off the ball but otherwise absolutely this^

Posted on another thread before I saw this one.......................

But yes, there is a lack of patience from a lot of fans!

As long as we have the ball, the opposition can't score! Didn't think there was a lot of "get it punted" "get it forward" shouts tonight, but had we been 60 mins in at 0-0 then I'm sure there would have been! I guessed on the Hamill thread that it was Pele who said "If you control the ball, you control the score" and he knew a bit about football! (even if it wasn't him, still think it's valid!)

Johanes de Silentio

Yup - almost started a thread about this earlier, but didn't want to spoil the vibes.

We were playing in a European tie, with a European referee, and we had the advantage of an away goal.

One dumbass sitting behind me kept moaning any time we moved the ball back into the back line - yet dolts like him also moan when we lump it forward aimlessly!

IF THERE'S NOT A FORWARD PASS ON, WE HAVE TO MOVE IT BACK OR SIDEWAYS - IT'S NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!

I would never claim to be especially knowledgable about football, because I'm not, but I can't beleive the number of people who have been watching football regularly for a long time who know next to ****-all about it!

Jeez!

Jambothroughandthrough

I thought, all told, the crowd was quite understanding and at times complimentary of the way we held on to the ball. Sure, everyone's got a nutter who sits near them that demands decisive cutting passes everytime but over all the crowd didn't get too anxious at any point.

considering the extent we passed the ball around the back line, especially at 0-0, I thought the crowd were quite grown up about the situation and I respectfully disagree with the OP. Still, he's not used to live football so probably doesn't realise what its like when a crowd turns nasty on their own team...

At what point did I suggest the fans turned 'nasty'? I said the fans were 'frustrated'. Huge difference.

Read the entire post and thread to get an understanding of what the majority are saying and discussing. Also.....you think the 'crowd were quite grown up' tonight.....it's just a pity your final sentence is not.

Pity.

JamboAberdeen

I like a lot of the things Zal does but he has a calamity in every game, even at the level we play in you cant afford that.

Zal is a great football player when you compare him to someone like Bouzid, but Bouzid new his limitations and whenever the ball came to him in a dangerous area he lumped it into row Z.

Zal has failed to learn that lesson in all his years in the SPL.

If he could only distinguish the times to play football and the times to lump it he would be an all time great.

Right now, i am sorry to say he is a liability.

Think it's partly due to lack of movement in midfield to make them available for passes from back line.

Zali's game suits more for European style like Barca with lesser quality obviously, where passers expect others to receive ball in running, with more movement to create space and make themselves available.

But in Scottish game, players tend to stop to receive passes, speed of passes is slower, with higher tempo making midfield difficult to receive passes comfortably, especially with players like Adrian who lacks mobility.

As a result, Zali has to resort to either punting up front or trying to send world cup passes.

NextGenerationJambo

it did get rather boring towards the end, especially when the team were there for the taking! i think if we continue to pass but try and be more direct and create some movement in front of the ball, we will have more success in going forward and creating chances :)

Yup - almost started a thread about this earlier, but didn't want to spoil the vibes.

We were playing in a European tie, with a European referee, and we had the advantage of an away goal.

One dumbass sitting behind me kept moaning any time we moved the ball back into the back line - yet dolts like him also moan when we lump it forward aimlessly!

IF THERE'S NOT A FORWARD PASS ON, WE HAVE TO MOVE IT BACK OR SIDEWAYS - IT'S NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!

I would never claim to be especially knowledgable about football, because I'm not, but I can't beleive the number of people who have been watching football regularly for a long time who know next to ****-all about it!

Jeez!

Some complete nonsense from 'one game a season fans' around me tonight, was doing my head in! Would much rather see us keep possession than aimless lump it forward, if that means passing along the back line than so be it. We might just draw the opposition out a little, this is how we should play at tynie!

Though hammil helped with the passing in second half, collecting and moving and Black was always looking for the ball.

It was fine to play this last night, with no pressure on the ball. It would be a very different story in the SPL when the likes of Zaliukas/Mrowiec or McGowan would be pressed far more on the ball and they would make mistakes with little hope of us getting back in.

In addition the idea that 6 passes flat across the back line is good football is completely outdated Mowbray style nonsense. I like to see teams attacked immediately when they lose the ball as that is when they have least defensive shape. That doesn't mean punts forward but it also doesn't mean the ball goes backward to the centre backs as instantly as we win it. Get Templeton or Skacel the ball when the defenders are trying to get back in position rather than when they are already in position. 80s style Italian football doesn't work without a real no 10, though Stevenson was trying his best to play like that last night.

Got to agree with the op's sentiment.

Too much moaning too quick.

Mrowiec made two mistakes in a minute and for the next ten minutes everything he did was hounded.

Archived