Pub for kids before game

stirlingshirejambo

stirlingshirejambo

I've been going every week with my laddie for years but we drive so never go for drink before game so out of touch a little. We're taking a friend with his laddie and looking for advice where best place to take them so we can both have a pint before the game. Boys are both 13.

hmfc_liam06

I'd be keen to know someplace child friendly too. Bought my 11 year old niece a season ticket for this year. When I took her last season we couldn't find a pub on Gorgie Road that would let us in. I know before, the Balmoral let you in but im going to find out tonight if the new owners were as sound as the old.

hmfc_liam06

Pubs for kids!!! What a great idea!!!!

Sorry, I know that isn't helpful.

Nice, well thought out and helpful response!

I see no harm in a kid being in pubs before hand, I remember the days of being taken to games around 10-12 years old with my can of Bru and packet of Tomato crisps and sitting in the corner doing no one any harm. Changed days now it seems and that was only 13 years ago.

Dunk-Section G

Places like the BMC, Beechwood Bowling Club and Murrayfield Indoor Sports are all good options for kids, but as they are members clubs you would require joining or having a member sign you in.

Not exactly in Gorgie but i would say the Ettrick Hotel would be your best shout. No problem at all taking kids, you can park there if you have the car, and it's only a 10 minute walk down to the game.

BMC club mate - drop two or three quid in the box and kid friendly upstairs - they sell juice and crisps etc. Nae probz! You can park your car there too if you ask nicely!

Upstairs in teh Shandon, kids friendly and if there is a table free the kids can play pool while you guys have a pint. And its no too far from the ground either :thumbsup:

Nice, well thought out and helpful response!

I see no harm in a kid being in pubs before hand, I remember the days of being taken to games around 10-12 years old with my can of Bru and packet of Tomato crisps and sitting in the corner doing no one any harm. Changed days now it seems and that was only 13 years ago.

You've misunderstood me mate. My laddy is 9 months old and lives in Muslim country - he still comes to the pub with me atleast once a week!!!

I meant it as a wee joke, like a pub solely for kids would be cool! Like have you seen School of Rock, featuring Jack Black? Like that but with bevvy instead of music. A bit like Teenwolf 2 when they replaced basketball with boxing.

Sorry man.

chester copperpot

Upstairs in teh Shandon, kids friendly and if there is a table free the kids can play pool while you guys have a pint. And its no too far from the ground either :thumbsup:

BMC or the Ardmillan are best for kids. Don't worry about it being members only in the BMC, they let you in if you contribute a quid to their fund, I'm not a member and have never had a problem getting in there.

Ardmillan, kids are only allowed through the back.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

From Perth to Paisley

Pretty sure I've seen the odd kid in the caley sample rooms.

stirlingshirejambo

thanks guys few good suggestions and i'll def take up one there options. One with pool sounds good as they about that age

HelloSunshine

West End Hotel if coming in by train or from the city, cheap taxi organised bar the bar to the ground, kids welcome

Reccomend the BMC club next to Sainsburys, was full of kids the last time i was there :thumbsup:

Pretty sure I've seen the odd kid in the caley sample rooms.

Not sure who you are talking about but that's not very nice. :whistling:

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Merchistion (sp) Hearts club let's kids in but I think you need signed in by a member

Back of the Bus

Murrayfield Bar in Roseburn.

Plenty parking, 10 minute walk to the ground. Job done.......

Murrayfield Bar in Roseburn.

Plenty parking, 10 minute walk to the ground. Job done.......

Unless something has changed there recently, it no longer lets kids in and hasn't done since around two years ago.

Check this out http://www.whatdothe...a_chil?unfold=1

At the top of the last letter from the cooncil there's a link to download a list of all pubs in Edinburgh that let kids in.

Thanks for linking to this. Almost unbelievable that a licensing board which implements some of the most arcane and impenetrable laws known to mankind - infuriating for locals and tourists alike - tried to extort ?25 from the guy (was it you?) for this information. Trying to get a drink in Scotland before a football match in the 21st century can be a desperate experience.

Back of the Bus

Unless something has changed there recently, it no longer lets kids in and hasn't done since around two years ago.

I'm a regular mate. They did lose it, but got it back a while ago. You might need to buy the kids a poke of chips but they're definitely allowed in.

HillmanHearts

Murrayfield Bar lets kids in IF you order them some food. ( as per recent legistation )

Me & my mates take our bairns in there on a Saturday before the game - my bairn has a plate of chessey chips and that does the job.

( Adds to the cost of a pre-match pint - but not too bad - they also have various teles showing live footie )

Murrayfield Bar lets kids in IF you order them some food. ( as per recent legistation )

Me & my mates take our bairns in there on a Saturday before the game - my bairn has a plate of chessey chips and that does the job.

( Adds to the cost of a pre-match pint - but not too bad - they also have various teles showing live footie )

That's odd. When the Diggers stopped letting kids in around the time I mentioned, I started using the Murrayfield Bar. I even checked with them about the children's licence, which I was assured was in place and valid until 8pm every evening. Then one Saturday lunchtime I turned up to find someone on the door turning people away if they had kids with them. No explanation, no exceptions.

I've not been back since and now go to the Caley Sample Room pre-match.

The whole situation is almost unbelievably confused and arbitrary, not to mention indicative of a society with a real problem. I really do feel sorry for tourists who come to Edinburgh with their families having read in their guidebooks about the historic pubs. They'll get a real shock when they try to go into most of them.

Back of the Bus

That's odd. When the Diggers stopped letting kids in around the time I mentioned, I started using the Murrayfield Bar. I even checked with them about the children's licence, which I was assured was in place and valid until 8pm every evening. Then one Saturday lunchtime I turned up to find someone on the door turning people away if they had kids with them. No explanation, no exceptions.

The whole situation is almost unbelievably confused and arbitrary, not to mention indicative of a society with a real problem. I really do feel sorry for tourists who come to Edinburgh with their families having read in their guidebooks about the historic pubs. They'll get a real shock when they try to go into most of them.

For a country as seemingly booze happy as ours, it doesn't make any sense. When they got their licence renewed they had to jump through all kinds of hoops like having nappy changing facilities installed etc....

Now, as long as the kid has a main meal, she's allowed in till 10pm!

I know what you're saying though, the centre of town is even worse. Beyond the terrible Weatherspoon's boozers, there nowt to choose from. That's in direct contrast to Budapest where we never got turned away once.....

It must give tourists the raging heave.

I've been going every week with my laddie for years but we drive so never go for drink before game so out of touch a little. We're taking a friend with his laddie and looking for advice where best place to take them so we can both have a pint before the game. Boys are both 13.

the Ardmillan :thumbsup:

What about the back room in diggers? I used to take my laddie there all the time?

So did I, but they stopped that at least two years ago, the ...er... barstewards. One of the most tragic days of my life. Since then I've led an almost Diggers-less existence.

Unless my information on this is also out of date...

:turned:

Armadale Jambo

the Ardmillan :thumbsup:

Ardmillan or caley sample room sound like the best options so far I tiink

HillmanHearts

That is odd - Early last season I went in and asked the bar person if they let kids in - she said yes if they have food. So we used it before most 15:00 hr Saturday kick-offs throughout last season

without any probs. Not used it this season yet tho.

hmfc_liam06

For a country as seemingly booze happy as ours, it doesn't make any sense. When they got their licence renewed they had to jump through all kinds of hoops like having nappy changing facilities installed etc....

Now, as long as the kid has a main meal, she's allowed in till 10pm!

I know what you're saying though, the centre of town is even worse. Beyond the terrible Weatherspoon's boozers, there nowt to choose from. That's in direct contrast to Budapest where we never got turned away once.....

It must give tourists the raging heave.

It is a strange one, as I said before, as a kid a trip to the pub with the older ones was always on the cards and even as a kid it was a great part of the day! PC gone mad?

hmfc_liam06

You've misunderstood me mate. My laddy is 9 months old and lives in Muslim country - he still comes to the pub with me atleast once a week!!!

I meant it as a wee joke, like a pub solely for kids would be cool! Like have you seen School of Rock, featuring Jack Black? Like that but with bevvy instead of music. A bit like Teenwolf 2 when they replaced basketball with boxing.

Sorry man.

:hartley:

West End Hotel, you can park round on Rothesay Place/Terrace as it should be free at that time of night. If you make yourself know to the Orwell guys then they should include you in on the taxi bookings.

Murrayfield Sports Bar is great for kids, got a car driving game and pool tables { 10p a game } ...Nice atmosphere and Tennents on tap..:)

Archived