Paulo's supposed 'passing tactics' - yay or nay?

liam11

Gigolo-Aunt

he came out of retirement to play with Palace on a pay as you play basis last year.

and the dundee shout was daft cause he was still a top class player at that time.

Like Cannigia was top class?

Don't get where this 'hoofball under JJ' phrase is coming from cause its utter pish. We played decent football under JJ although we struggled at the end of last season i think its unfortunate the way results went against him, but, i can't thank him enough for the changes he has made since taking over from csaba. Hopefully this new guy can get us winning again, time will tell.

As for signing Maniche, :vrface: almost as good as Edgar Davids going to sign for Dundee a few years ago

Yeah I know but look at the likes of thierry Henry going to new York red bulls. Admittedly, I can't see us getting maniche but he is a free agent I think and this new manager knows him quite well. Be interesting to see how we play on thursday. Hopefully we'll murder them.

SanliHearts

As far as I'm concerned, paulo could get us playing nice passing football. IMO, this type of football could get John Sutton playing at his best ( I think he's proved that he's no Target man that we can just hump the ball up to time and time again, could also bring out best in players such as tempelton as sometimes this hoof ball employed by JJ allowed himto be totally removed from the game. Also it could be a chance for him to see that players like Ian black are rather lazy and IMHO not as attacking minded as say Skacel or Tauoil. Finally, I do agree that we need another creative midfielder and maniche seems to be one player I have picked up in from other threads. I think we have the potential to get maniche if Vlad allows paulo to be in full control of transfer affairs. Then again maniche is a pretty big player, but hey, expect the unexpected at hearts right?)

We have a better chance of signing a Machine than Maniche! :blink:

Tommy Wiseau

Knock it long to the big man and have the wee man bang it in the back of the net. It's not ******* rocket science.

5336903_std.jpg

I think you may need to update yourself on the last 30 years of tactical progressions in football, Biff.

That Sports Almanac is quite out of date now.

Like Cannigia was top class?

You are joking? Cannigia was top class, christ knows how Dundee pulled that deal off

Gigolo-Aunt

You are joking? Cannigia was top class, christ knows how Dundee pulled that deal off

That was kinda my point, fella.

Ray-Wilkins-007.jpg

Yeah I know but look at the likes of thierry Henry going to new York red bulls. Admittedly, I can't see us getting maniche but he is a free agent I think and this new manager knows him quite well. Be interesting to see how we play on thursday. Hopefully we'll murder them.

Very true, I don't understand footballers in their latter years going to America, the standards shite. They must pay a ridiculous wage over there, anyway besides the point, i'm with you, hopefully we will give Paksi a footballing masterclass :whistling:

PsychocAndy

Sure was.

Point is, Edgar Davids signing for Dundee was not a stupid shout - he was with Crystal Palace in the end (I think)

Oh...

Claudio ended up going to Rangers for over 1 millon squid as well as going to World Cup 2002 with Argentina. All after signing for Dundee.

thumbsup.gif

So we are in agreement about Claudio then, because I never said he wasn't a great player, just someone who needed a chance.

We would all take sexy football if it was winning sexy football. In the absense of winning sexy football, I would prefer winning football to sexy football. I do realise that playing unsexy football provides no guarantee of winning. (See hibernian FC case study)

I wish life was straightforward and could provide those guarantees. I think our best chance of winning comes from playing to the strengths of the players you have. Over the longer term gradually replace weaker players with better players who are more capable of playing to the standards required. This may mean that in the short term " the fitba is murder" but we have had our share of that over the years anyway. Hopefully in the interim period we are still good enough to battle for third place.

Having clear aspirational goals that inform all player purchase decisions will maximise the chances of a team playing the style we want.

Just a pity we will never agree whether the style should be Barcelona or Stoke City eh?

I want to be like Barcelona, just not with 2 days training before a European game.

Ever wondered where all the money is coming from to hire and fire managers in an instance? Vlad is minted, i don`t think it is unrealistic for Hearts to pull of a "coup" for a quality player in his latter years, albeit on a decent wage.

The longer it doesn`t happen then these rumours get mocked but ffs Dundee attracted the players above.

That was when things were on the up for the British economy and Dundee still went into administration, now the economy is fecked world wide, there is a lot less chance of clubs being stupid with money.

I'm not going to live for ever and I would like Heart of Midlothian giving the Old Firm a proper good skelping more often than not and playing Champions League and winning things but I also know that the way to do it isn't by spending more and more than we can afford. I don't want to see my football, in later life, at The Pennypit watching AFC Heart of Midlothian for the sake of some older, very good, players topping up their pension at Tynecastle.

As far as I'm concerned, paulo could get us playing nice passing football. IMO, this type of football could get John Sutton playing at his best ( I think he's proved that he's no Target man that we can just hump the ball up to time and time again, could also bring out best in players such as tempelton as sometimes this hoof ball employed by JJ allowed himto be totally removed from the game. Also it could be a chance for him to see that players like Ian black are rather lazy and IMHO not as attacking minded as say Skacel or Tauoil. Finally, I do agree that we need another creative midfielder and maniche seems to be one player I have picked up in from other threads. I think we have the potential to get maniche if Vlad allows paulo to be in full control of transfer affairs. Then again maniche is a pretty big player, but hey, expect the unexpected at hearts right?)

Has Segio said that the passing game is his style of football? How do we know this? He might want to lump up to JS for all we know.

imo Taouil will be a great player under Sergio, his style of football may make him a key player.

Yeah taouil seems to have been forgotten after grainger playing so well, the skacel contract saga, sutton playing so poorly and the fact that he got injured hasn't helped. Very skillful and tidy player.

That was kinda my point, fella.

Ray-Wilkins-007.jpg

Fair enough, misread your interpretation. Easier speaking to people than reading text.

Has Segio said that the passing game is his style of football? How do we know this? He might want to lump up to JS for all we know.

As far as I know, that's his style, but doesn't really want to change the team or tactics for Thursday.

That could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

apart from all that do we as supporters have the patience to watch this without 'for fex sake hearts just get it up the park'

This ^^

Mixu managed to take over Killie from JJ and within a pre-season had them playing some great stuff, so those who say it can't work in the SPL obviously overlooked this.

If the cloggers at Killie can play pass and move football then surely the higher standard of players at Hearts should be loving this development??

As long as the new manager can jettison the dead wood from the squad and use the money to bring in some mid level Portuguese players the I will be happy.

Let's face facts here, any player from the top Portuguese league would stroll the SPL.

Arthur Morgan

Mixu managed to take over Killie from JJ and within a pre-season had them playing some great stuff, so those who say it can't work in the SPL obviously overlooked this.

If the cloggers at Killie can play pass and move football then surely the higher standard of players at Hearts should be loving this development??

As long as the new manager can jettison the dead wood from the squad and use the money to bring in some mid level Portuguese players the I will be happy.

Let's face facts here, any player from the top Portuguese league would stroll the SPL.

This guy is spot on!

true, we could do with some decent portuguese players in the league at the moment i can only think of (not in SPL anymore) those two clowns the passion brothers (paixao)

someone like Yannick would be good for us :D

5336903_std.jpg

I think you may need to update yourself on the last 30 years of tactical progressions in football, Biff.

That Sports Almanac is quite out of date now.

Sorry you're right. I was thinking about Sandy Clark. Now we just knock it long to the big man on his own up there. Don't play a wee man. Having a wee man scoring goals is old skool. But, it's still not ******* rocket science.

It's Scottish fitbaw ffs you don't get time on the ball to play like Barcelona

Lump it and be done with it

So Barcelona would struggle in this league?

Dave

Tommy Wiseau

Sorry you're right. I was thinking about Sandy Clark. Now we just knock it long to the big man on his own up there. Don't play a wee man. Having a wee man scoring goals is old skool. But, it's still not ******* rocket science.

It's not rocket science indeed, which makes it outdated and easy to counter.

We shouldn't be knocking it long for anyone imo.

h-e-a-r-t-s

It's Scottish fitbaw ffs you don't get time on the ball to play like Barcelona

Lump it and be done with it

not strictly true. when Bareclona play an SPL side they don't adopt traits of the Scottish game into theirs. They run rings around you and back again before sticking several past you. It's not that you can't play football in the SPL, it's that we and the other teams don't have the players to play football in the SPL.

quincy adams wagstaff

maniche.....pay him per game.thats what we should have done with the crock webster

It's not rocket science indeed, which makes it outdated and easy to counter.

We shouldn't be knocking it long for anyone imo.

Before teams started doing this we had a passing game in Scotland. Bizarrely enough the long ball tactic is relatively recent in terms of the long history of Scottish football.

Nonsense, its attitudes like that our game is in such a dire state in the first place. Not every team in Scotland plays hoofball, you know this.

I would much prefer to see the team at least try to play football if anything for the entertainment of overcharged fans. We at least need to be able to mix it up now and then and not be so one dimensional.

Europe has left us trailing in their dust by learning how to play football the way it should be played and its about time we ******* woke up in this country.

Dont really buy what your saying about ref's to be honest although if Scottish football adapts im sure they will too, a lot of our top ref's handle european games so its not as if their oblivious as to how the game should actually be played.

'Punt and be done with it' attitude is truly shocking and is surely better suited to a rugby fan.

Spot on sir. Kilmarnock managed it last year.

The Comedian

A massive 'yay' from me. I'd like to see a complete revolution at our club regarding our style of football. Like it or not our reputation is of effective rather than entertaining football and if you measure how effective we have been by the trophies won we barely register.

In a league where we barely win anything anyway, would it be so bad to drop the win at all cost's attitude and take a more pleasing on the eye and bold approach?

jamboinglasgow

Before teams started doing this we had a passing game in Scotland. Bizarrely enough the long ball tactic is relatively recent in terms of the long history of Scottish football.

In the earliest days of football Scotland was seen as revolutionary as their players passed the ball, as opposed to England where dribbling was seen as the right way and an art form.

My passing team would be :

Kello

Hammill

Zaliukas

Webster (providing he ain't injured)

Grainger

Templeton

Skacel

Taouil

Driver (if not fit then novikovas)

Sutton

Elliott

Just my opinion anyway :)

Howdy Doody Jambo

Kello

Hammill

Zaliukas

Grainger

Templeton

Skacel

Taouil

Sutton

Elliott

Zalukas couldnt pass water

Zalukas couldnt pass water

Ah but our defence crumbled without him. We concede far less goals with him in the team. Some of the goals we concede are Zal's fault though.

Kello

Hammill

Zaliukas

Grainger

Templeton

Skacel

Taouil

Sutton

Elliott

I really like Templeton and I am sure he could pass effectively, he generally chooses not to, preferring to take people on, shoot etc

I believe improving in that area would improve both him and the team immensely. It could become a strength of his but is not one currently.

Kello

Hammill

Zaliukas

Grainger

Templeton

Skacel

Taouil

Sutton

Elliott

A very weak defensive midfield, think we will need one ball winner. IMO

Taouil for black.

Dave

Kello

Hammill

Zaliukas

Grainger

Templeton

Skacel

Taouil

Sutton

Elliott

Who in that midfield would be getting the ball for us?

Archived