Paulo's supposed 'passing tactics' - yay or nay?

liam11

As far as I'm concerned, paulo could get us playing nice passing football. IMO, this type of football could get John Sutton playing at his best ( I think he's proved that he's no Target man that we can just hump the ball up to time and time again, could also bring out best in players such as tempelton as sometimes this hoof ball employed by JJ allowed himto be totally removed from the game. Also it could be a chance for him to see that players like Ian black are rather lazy and IMHO not as attacking minded as say Skacel or Tauoil. Finally, I do agree that we need another creative midfielder and maniche seems to be one player I have picked up in from other threads. I think we have the potential to get maniche if Vlad allows paulo to be in full control of transfer affairs. Then again maniche is a pretty big player, but hey, expect the unexpected at hearts right?)

As far as I'm concerned, paulo could get us playing nice passing football. IMO, this type of football could get John Sutton playing at his best ( I think he's proved that he's no Target man that we can just hump the ball up to time and time again, could also bring out best in players such as tempelton as sometimes this hoof ball employed by JJ allowed himto be totally removed from the game. Also it could be a chance for him to see that players like Ian black are rather lazy and IMHO not as attacking minded as say Skacel or Tauoil. Finally, I do agree that we need another creative midfielder and maniche seems to be one player I have picked up in from other threads. I think we have the potential to get maniche if Vlad allows paulo to be in full control of transfer affairs. Then again maniche is a pretty big player, but hey, expect the unexpected at hearts right?)

:facepalm:

Francis Albert

Since Scottish clubs regularly get horsed by any European team that plays a passing game, I've always thought it was worth trying in Scotland.

PauloSergioBentoBrito

Maniche would be an utterly incredible signing. Can never see it though!

But aye, passing and attacking football would be dandy.

Yeah, but what if Vlad likes him? Vlad loves rudi and he worked hard to get him back to the club. We have the 3rd biggest budget in Scotlandso if Vlad splashed the cash on a player who plays similar to Skacel then maybe we could get somewhere. Have to agree with you 100% on the wage structure though :(

Howdy Doody Jambo

It's Scottish fitbaw ffs you don't get time on the ball to play like Barcelona

Lump it and be done with it

Howdy Doody Jambo

Maniche would be an utterly incredible signing. Can never see it though!

But aye, passing and attacking football would be dandy.

Hobo

Howdy Doody Jambo

Yeah, but what if Vlad likes him? Vlad loves rudi and he worked hard to get him back to the club. We have the 3rd biggest budget in Scotlandso if Vlad splashed the cash on a player who plays similar to Skacel then maybe we could get somewhere. Have to agree with you 100% on the wage structure though :(

Hobo2

jamboinglasgow

Since Scottish clubs regularly get horsed by any European team that plays a passing game, I've always thought it was worth trying in Scotland.

I do think done effectively it can be a great tactic in Scotland, we are too interested in players who play with passion but little technique, quick short passing would be a good tactic.

Summary of Sunday : lump continuesly up to Sutton so he can get beaten everytime by Gary Kenneth who is very tall.

Playing quick passing football could have won us that game.

Whats wrong with black? he has got a brilliant pass, can jump twice his height, he's wee but he gets stuck in, he gives 100% and he loves hearts, what do you think he does wrong?

I do think he' s a good player and a wee fighter but I wouldn't hesitate in replacing him if an accomplished attacking midfielder came in. But I really do like black though. Especially good for winding up hibs fans with his crunching tackles.

I'm all for the quick passing game. Hoof ball does not work all that well most of the time,

However passing football would probably mean the end of big Kevin Kyle at hearts. Passing and moving is the two things he's worst at. But that's not to say the new boy won't be able to find a roll for kev to play. And I hope he does.

I'm all for the quick passing game. Hoof ball does not work all that well most of the time,

However passing football would probably mean the end of big Kevin Kyle at hearts. Passing and moving is the two things he's worst at. But that's not to say the new boy won't be able to find a roll for kev to play. And I hope he does.

It just means we can do both :D play the passing and if thats failing go to the big man, then we do actually have a plan B :)

Yeah I agree about Kyle. Big man's never put a foot wrong for hearts. He would have a good role if we were playing against a team with small defenders. Still a bit unsure as to if big kev will ever make it properly back :'(

Yeah I agree about Kyle. Big man's never put a foot wrong for hearts. He would have a good role if we were playing against a team with small defenders. Still a bit unsure as to if big kev will ever make it properly back :'(

He don't need to be properly back. Only need him 3 games a season to sink some headers against the wee team. Hell sutton could push him round the pitch in his wheelchair Aslong as the ball rattles in of his noggin :thumbsup:

He'll be back.

He Who Cannot Be Named

It's Scottish fitbaw ffs you don't get time on the ball to play like Barcelona

Lump it and be done with it

Surely you cant be serious with this statement?

Surely you cant be serious with this statement?

He's right when you consider that when a Euro team horses Scottish opposition the referee is never Scottish. Scottish refs allow teams away with murder that no Euro ref would stand for. In a Euro game passing works well. In the Scottish game players need to be highly skilled and very quick to play a good passing game - otherwise they are getting smashed.

He Who Cannot Be Named

He's right when you consider that when a Euro team horses Scottish opposition the referee is never Scottish. Scottish refs allow teams away with murder that no Euro ref would stand for. In a Euro game passing works well. In the Scottish game players need to be highly skilled and very quick to play a good passing game - otherwise they are getting smashed.

Nonsense, its attitudes like that our game is in such a dire state in the first place. Not every team in Scotland plays hoofball, you know this.

I would much prefer to see the team at least try to play football if anything for the entertainment of overcharged fans. We at least need to be able to mix it up now and then and not be so one dimensional.

Europe has left us trailing in their dust by learning how to play football the way it should be played and its about time we ******* woke up in this country.

Dont really buy what your saying about ref's to be honest although if Scottish football adapts im sure they will too, a lot of our top ref's handle european games so its not as if their oblivious as to how the game should actually be played.

'Punt and be done with it' attitude is truly shocking and is surely better suited to a rugby fan.

Gigolo-Aunt

A manager really needs to have landed on his feet to turn up at a squad put together by someone else and be able to play a passing football game.

Invariably, for a team to be able to play keep ball, passing football - the manager will need to hand pick the players for his squad. I would also say this opinion is even more relevant for the SPL where games are very fast and the ball moves forward very quickly.

hmfc_liam06

All depends if its short passing with little thru balls a la Barca which we aint capable of or if it's wide play and getting crosses into the box. Kyle definitely has a place in the team should we be playing a get it out wide style of play.

Knock it long to the big man and have the wee man bang it in the back of the net. It's not ******* rocket science.

I think punting became ever more prevalent when Rangers and then later on Celtic pulled away financially from the other teams starting in the 80s. There was just no way the other teams at that time could compete with the sides that Rangers were assembling. You could either bankrupt yourself by bringing in quality in a vain attempt to try to match them, or go for the brute force option. Most teams went for brute force hence the fashion for big centre forwards, destructive midfielders, big punts up the park, long throw-ins etc. which would give you the chance to sneak a result against Rangers that you would never have if you tried to match them football-wise.

I'm all for a passing game if he can get it working, I was thinking JJ was moving in that direction too though. What worries me is that I think we'll lose a lot of games due to the minimal amount of protection ball-players in Scotland currently get from the referees. Referees in Scotland need to clamp down harder on foul play, we're out of step with the rest of Europe on this issue.

Toxteth O'Grady

The Hobos (under Hughes) and Falkirk tried the pass the ball about alot. They suceeded in passing the ball about alot,but it didn't get them anywhere it is boring and innefective.

Unless you have quality players suited to this kind of game (like Barcelona) it doesn't work IMO.

Dr. Bapswent

august-hat1.jpg

Walter Bishop

129157558613824302.gif

mahgrassyshoes

We never played "hoofball" under JJ. We played a mix of really good passing football at times and sometimes that was complimented by the more direct "hoofball" through KK.

Black is not a lazy player. Not as "attack minded" as Skacel or Tauoil (sic) yeas. Not as technically gifted as them also true, but he's not lazy.

** :wtfvlad: **

I do think done effectively it can be a great tactic in Scotland, we are too interested in players who play with passion but little technique, quick short passing would be a good tactic.

But you need passion! Too many people who watch Barca see these guys who are the best in the world effortlessly pass the ball around.....or seemingly effortlessly, and think they aren`t showing passion and think its all about plenty space and time on the ball..

These guys are winners but they are at the top end of the game and guys at the top end make the game look easy. Do you think they have no passion?

Football is nothing without first and foremost having desire and passion then what you teach players comes next.

Gigolo-Aunt

But you need passion! Too many people who watch Barca see these guys who are the best in the world effortlessly pass the ball around.....or seemingly effortlessly, and think they aren`t showing passion and think its all about plenty space and time on the ball..

These guys are winners but they are at the top end of the game and guys at the top end make the game look easy. Do you think they have no passion?

Football is nothing without first and foremost having desire and passion then what you teach players comes next.

Agree with you regarding Barcelona, mate - the desire (as well as mentality) to just keep winning game and after game. To be able to dig something out when the chips are down.

Messi and all are top players, but they also have such a huge desire for the game.

Randle P McMurphy

it will be evolution rather than revolution. i would imagine that he will have intentions of playing a possession game starting from the back. to do that however you need:

defenders who can pass it well

a goalkeeper who can act as an auxiliary 5th defender and with ability to pass it well

defenders who can spot a gap and bring the ball out

midfielders who can drop and collect the ball

midfielders who have a first touch where they are able to bring the ball under control

patience to pass it sideways and backwards until you probe for a forward pass

forwards making intelligent runs and finding space

forwards able to retain possession whilst being marked

in other words a lot of work required on the training ground to make us a good passing team

apart from all that do we as supporters have the patience to watch this without 'for fex sake hearts just get it up the park'

Whats wrong with black? he has got a brilliant pass, can jump twice his height, he's wee but he gets stuck in, he gives 100% and he loves hearts, what do you think he does wrong?

I agree. If he learned to get rid of the ball at the right time he would be an automatic pick IMO.

The stupid wee turns he was doing to himself on Sunday - :facepalm:

Agree with you regarding Barcelona, mate - the desire (as well as mentality) to just keep winning game and after game. To be able to dig something out when the chips are down.

Messi and all are top players, but they also have such a huge desire for the game.

aye mate, they are no lightweights.

PsychocAndy

Are you actually 11 years old?

Why stop at Maniche? Barton is available, so is Owen Hargreves too, and he's mates with Kevin McKenna, who can tell him how wonderful we are and he should take a 99% pay cut to play for us.

Just remember the last manager who tried that too quickly in Scotland, the laughing stock that is Paul Le Guen.

As a Hearts fan I want to win everything and do it with fans from other clubs spewing about the great way we play and secretly have us as their "other" team.

Alas, I'm nearly 47 and cynical and at the moment will take us booting lumps out of Paksi and getting through to the next round of the cup.

Don't get where this 'hoofball under JJ' phrase is coming from cause its utter pish. We played decent football under JJ although we struggled at the end of last season i think its unfortunate the way results went against him, but, i can't thank him enough for the changes he has made since taking over from csaba. Hopefully this new guy can get us winning again, time will tell.

As for signing Maniche, :vrface: almost as good as Edgar Davids going to sign for Dundee a few years ago

PsychocAndy

Who would have thought Dundee would have signed Cannigia?

Would that be ex drug addict Claudio Cannigia who needed to get a club that were willing to take a chance on him.

And Ravanelli......

Bugger, ah.

Would that be twice in administration Dundee F.C.?

Gigolo-Aunt

Would that be ex drug addict Claudio Cannigia who needed to get a club that were willing to take a chance on him.

Bugger, ah.

Sure was.

Point is, Edgar Davids signing for Dundee was not a stupid shout - he was with Crystal Palace in the end (I think)

Oh...

Claudio ended up going to Rangers for over 1 millon squid as well as going to World Cup 2002 with Argentina. All after signing for Dundee.

thumbsup.gif

Are you actually 11 years old?

Why stop at Maniche? Barton is available, so is Owen Hargreves too, and he's mates with Kevin McKenna, who can tell him how wonderful we are and he should take a 99% pay cut to play for us.

Just remember the last manager who tried that too quickly in Scotland, the laughing stock that is Paul Le Guen.

As a Hearts fan I want to win everything and do it with fans from other clubs spewing about the great way we play and secretly have us as their "other" team.

Alas, I'm nearly 47 and cynical and at the moment will take us booting lumps out of Paksi and getting through to the next round of the cup.

We would all take sexy football if it was winning sexy football. In the absense of winning sexy football, I would prefer winning football to sexy football. I do realise that playing unsexy football provides no guarantee of winning. (See hibernian FC case study)

I wish life was straightforward and could provide those guarantees. I think our best chance of winning comes from playing to the strengths of the players you have. Over the longer term gradually replace weaker players with better players who are more capable of playing to the standards required. This may mean that in the short term " the fitba is murder" but we have had our share of that over the years anyway. Hopefully in the interim period we are still good enough to battle for third place.

Having clear aspirational goals that inform all player purchase decisions will maximise the chances of a team playing the style we want.

Just a pity we will never agree whether the style should be Barcelona or Stoke City eh?

Bugger, ah.

Ever wondered where all the money is coming from to hire and fire managers in an instance? Vlad is minted, i don`t think it is unrealistic for Hearts to pull of a "coup" for a quality player in his latter years, albeit on a decent wage.

The longer it doesn`t happen then these rumours get mocked but ffs Dundee attracted the players above.

Sure was.

Point is, Edgar Davids signing for Dundee was not a stupid shout - he was with Crystal Palace in the end (I think)

Oh...

Claudio ended up going to Rangers for over 1 millon squid as well as going to World Cup 2002 with Argentina. All after signing for Dundee.

thumbsup.gif

he came out of retirement to play with Palace on a pay as you play basis last year.

and the dundee shout was daft cause he was still a top class player at that time.

Archived