Settling for Third not good enough

jambos are go!

jambos are go!

After the shock is VR still intent on breaking the bigoted mould of Scottish Footballl. Just a thought for discussion.

Robbo-Jambo

After the shock is VR still intent on breaking the bigoted mould of Scottish Footballl. Just a thought for discussion.

If he is he better seriously open the purse strings then. <_<

jambos are go!

If he is he better seriously open the purse strings then. <_<

More players from Portugal soon me wonders.

We will never compete regularly for anything higher than 3rd and a cup run.

13,000 fans a week versus old firms 50 to 60k...... Nae chance.

It is difficult, yes nearly impossible, but if the fans, and more so, the management and players think that, then we never will, not even if that once in a lifetime opportunity does come up.

More players from Portugal soon me wonders.

In that case im just glad we havent spent time and money on SPL players then during the pre season.

We spend nowhere near as much as the old firm so how can we compete? Magic?

I was thinking that was the (Vlad) logic behind it. I think that Jefferies has probaly shot himself in the foot by coming out with statements saying our target was third.

To some degree I agree with Vlad, given our budget we should be a lot closer to 2nd than 4th and we must show more belief. Having said that though he has to appreciate the gulf between us and the OF is still massive and probably will remain so unless he wishes to chuck in several million pounds every season (on top of what he already puts in)for new and better players.

For what its worth I don't think we should be changing the management so early in the season.

We tried to compete at the top and ended up a further ?15million in debt.

we spent loads of money and got a further ?15m in debt. we didn't try to compete as the mad one pressed the self destruct button at every opportunity.

Drylaw Hearts

I was thinking that was the (Vlad) logic behind it. I think that Jefferies has probaly shot himself in the foot by coming out with statements saying our target was third.

To some degree I agree with Vlad, given our budget we should be a lot closer to 2nd than 4th and we must show more belief. Having said that though he has to appreciate the gulf between us and the OF is still massive and probably will remain so unless he wishes to chuck in several million pounds every season (on top of what he already puts in)for new and better players.

For what its worth I don't think we should be changing the management so early in the season.

Is our budget not closer to the 4th team than the 2nd placed team though ?

good post how must the vermin feel with there 6k :woot:

Is our budget not closer to the 4th team than the 2nd placed team though ?

You are right, but that still does not mean we should openly only set 3rd place as a target.

Drylaw Hearts

You are right, but that still does not mean we should openly only set 3rd place as a target.

I think saying we can finish 2nd or 1st would only make whoever said it look a bit stupid.

I think saying we can finish 2nd or 1st would only make whoever said it look a bit stupid.

Agreed, we have a 5th of the budget of the Old Firm, in wages spend if nothing else.

jambopompey

i feel if you can get a squad that is not scared of the big bad old firm then you have a chance, self believe goes a long way, money wise, the old firm are there to be got at, rangers are skint and celtic are watching the pennies as well, im not saying it will be easy to do so, but even looking at Dundee United who lost 4 player in the summer and another 2 not playing against us yesterday, matched us and again managed to beat us, an as things look this early look to be a strong side with a mix of youth and old heads

Footballfirst

Agreed, we have a 5th of the budget of the Old Firm, in wages spend if nothing else.

From last years accounts:

Celtic ?36.5M

Rangers ?28.1M

Hearts ?9.1M

Hibs ?4.8M

Aberdeen ?4.6M

Dundee Utd ?4M

Kilmarnock ?3.6M

Motherwell ?3M

St Mirren ?2.6M

jambos are go!

so Wimbledon should not have won the FA cup or David should not have slain Goliath.

Maroon & White

We had our chance of breaking the OF but Vlad got jealous he wasn't getting all the attention and so he soon put an end to that..

Fourcandles

With more double the budget than any other non OF team.......................................

Can anyone tell my why we shouldn't expect to be 3rd every year?

In the same way with thier budget Rangers and Sellick expect 1st/2nd and achieve it not occasionally but relentlessly.

:huh:

With more double the budget than any other non OF team.......................................

Can anyone tell my why we shouldn't expect to be 3rd every year?

In the same way with thier budget Rangers and Sellick expect 1st/2nd and achieve it not occasionally but relentlessly.

:huh:

It is slightly less than double. Expecting us to be 3rd is reasonable imo. Expecting better on a regular basis is delusional.

I don't. It would make the people on here who claim it was a promise then throw their toys out the pram when it does not happen look stupid.

And we do not even need to say it anyway. I just wish we did not openly target 3rd place and accept it as our limit.

JJ was guilty of that, I feel and he is not alone. Any manager brought up on Scottish football or spent most of their career in Scottish football seems to think that and that is part of the problem of Scottish football.

Drylaw Hearts

I don't. It would make the people on here who claim it was a promise then throw their toys out the pram when it does not happen look stupid.

And we do not even need to say it anyway. I just wish we did not openly target 3rd place and accept it as our limit.

JJ was guilty of that, I feel and he is not alone. Any manager brought up on Scottish football or spent most of their career in Scottish football seems to think that and that is part of the problem of Scottish football.

3rd is the target for all non-OF teams.

Everyone knows that so whats the point in denying it if asked the question ?

3rd is the target for all non-OF teams.

Everyone knows that so whats the point in denying it if asked the question ?

That is my point. It should not be the target.

Drylaw Hearts

Well unless you've got a spare ?50 million kicking about and you fancy buying VR's shares then it most definitely is the target.

Totally agree with this, might not do better 3rd but if you aim for the stars you might just hit the moon!! Burley didn't see a glass ceiling at 3rd and that belief rubbed off on the players. JJ for all his positives definatley thought there was a glass ceiling!!

Okay then what should be the REALISTIC target we should be aiming for season in season out?

Drylaw Hearts

Totally agree with this, might not do better 3rd but if you aim for the stars you might just hit the moon!! Burley didn't see a glass ceiling at 3rd and that belief rubbed off on the players. JJ for all his positives definatley thought there was a glass ceiling!!

The money available for players when Burley was in charge is a million miles away from JJ's budget.

jambopompey

Okay then what should be the REALISTIC target we should be aiming for season in season out?

first

The money available for players when Burley was in charge is a million miles away from JJ's budget.

dont disagree but I am sure at the point in time last season when we had only lost away from homne to the OF that JJ made comments along the lines that he thought we we undefeated away from home because he just wrote off the defeats away to the OF as a matter of course.

JJ did a great job steadying the ship after Laszlo, and will be always be a legend, and that scottish cup win will go down as one of best days of my life. But might not be bad to have a manager who sees 3rd as complete success (if we get the right man (big if))!!

Dont think it is possible to use the words Logic and Vlad in the same sentence!!!

Aye and he was SACKED for having that view,christ you would be hard pushed to make any of this up.

If you spoke to someone who knew football but didn't know about Hearts over the past 6 years and told them all what has happened they would call for you to be sectioned.

Vlad is wonderful ain't he.

realistic [?r???l?st?k]

adj

1. showing awareness and acceptance of reality

So the opposite of vladimir romanov then?

Tommy Wiseau

first

:cornette:

Which of our current squad would get in the teams above us in the league last season please.

jambopompey

realistic [?r???l?st?k]

adj

what 11 v 11 and you give up.

sorry the first half at ibrox met with my expectations, second half did not, what changed, the we can only get 3rd is pish, more so these days, the old firm are not what they where years ago, they are there for the taking, no-one should be scared of going to glasgow and getting a result, oh a few teams get a result in glasgow and guess what the league is open and as more teams start smelling and taking blood in glasgow the better.

or are you happy to take it up the jaksey from the old firm every year, with lub every so often

jambopompey

Which of our current squad would get in the teams above us in the league last season please.

i don't care, we should have the team mentality that we can beat any team in front of us, that is what the old firm have with their players, a winning mentality, the sooner clubs decided sod it lets have a go, then it will always be who comes 3rd.

you should enter the start of the league with winning it

Drylaw Hearts

sorry the first half at ibrox met with my expectations, second half did not, what changed, the we can only get 3rd is pish, more so these days, the old firm are not what they where years ago, they are there for the taking, no-one should be scared of going to glasgow and getting a result, oh a few teams get a result in glasgow and guess what the league is open and as more teams start smelling and taking blood in glasgow the better.

or are you happy to take it up the jaksey from the old firm every year, with lub every so often

realistic [?r???l?st?k]

adj

I am in no way happy about it but I'm showing awareness and acceptance of reality when I say we have no chance of finishing 1st,

Now....

Are you happy about kidding yourself by insinuating that we can challenge for the SPL title ?

Tommy Wiseau

i don't care, we should have the team mentality that we can beat any team in front of us, that is what the old firm have with their players, a winning mentality, the sooner clubs decided sod it lets have a go, then it will always be who comes 3rd.

So in short, you know that they have better players. In fact, Rangers just bought our best player and, news for you, he ain't anywhere near their best.

The teams with the best players win things. We lose in Glasgow because we are playing against a better side. It is that simple. Teamwork can do great things for a side, but without the ability in place, you're pishing into the wind. Mentality, great, but it's not nearly as simple as "have a go and you'll win the league".

Sorry.

Kello?

Not a chance in Jeebus. Just fannying about until he buggers off...hopefully soon.

Your right the OF are not the teams they used to be but they can still buy our best players when they want,who was the last player we paid for?

Here is a list of the points we were off the top team in the last 6 seasons 30,39,27,41,23 and 17,where are we going to gain all these points?

You are as delusional as your master if you think we can come first regularly.

The main problem was that JJ is SPL to the core.

Shit scared of Jedward (his results against them in his entire coaching career prove this), and content with 3rd place and 4 games in yoorup every year.

Tommy Wiseau

Kello?

Celtic, yes. Rangers, probably not, but I'll let you have it.

Who else?

jambopompey

realistic [?r???l?st?k]

adj

I am in no way happy about it but I'm showing awareness and acceptance of reality when I say we have no chance of finishing 1st,

Now....

Are you happy about kidding yourself by insinuating that we can challenge for the SPL title ?

we have entered a league that is played over 38 games, if we play to our best then i think we can win the league.

looking at players on each team we have an outside chance of mounting a challenge, but we need to start winning games and not be scared of glasgow, after ibrox i was pilloried on facebook for stating i was pissed of with the outcome and the second half performance, where we decided to play in our own half, where i would have kept the same tempo from the first where we had the league champions on the ropes, self belief has to come from somewhere

jambopompey

Your right the OF are not the teams they used to be but they can still buy our best players when they want,who was the last player we paid for?

Here is a list of the points we were off the top team in the last 6 seasons 30,39,27,41,23 and 17,where are we going to gain all these points?

who is my master?

And that is why they pay millions of pounds for them,it's like trying to explain the off-side rule to a 4 year old,get a grip man.

In a one off game we,as can almost any team,beat the OF but it's doing it consistently and doing it consistently to the other teams,that cost money and lots of it.

who is my master?

Well if your not a vlad apologist then excuse me because that is the kind of guff coming from them right now.

Drylaw Hearts

we have entered a league that is played over 38 games, if we play to our best then i think we can win the league.

looking at players on each team we have an outside chance of mounting a challenge, but we need to start winning games and not be scared of glasgow, after ibrox i was pilloried on facebook for stating i was pissed of with the outcome and the second half performance, where we decided to play in our own half, where i would have kept the same tempo from the first where we had the league champions on the ropes, self belief has to come from somewhere

WE HAVE NO CHANCE OF MOUNTING A SERIOUS CHALLENGE.

DEAL WITH IT.

jambopompey

i will take the mad one's transfers to the old firm than the last board where we would at best got 3 screws and a rotten piece of wood for our players, we have at least got proper value or more for players sold to the old firm, but i also remember celtic being told GTF for hartley a season or so before we did, by that time he was spent

Archived