Best place for an Indian meal?

Oopsupsideyerheed

Oopsupsideyerheed

Wifeys birthday next week so want to book a meal. Recommend a nice, quality Indian anyone ???

Please, no Tonto jokes .................lol

Dr. Bapswent
Wifeys birthday next week so want to book a meal. Recommend a nice, quality Indian anyone ???

Please, no Tonto jokes .................lol

Namaste on Forrest road is good.

khushi's (sp) on Victoria Street is good, but is byob so might not be what you are looking for

Zaika in Livingston is superb. Never had had bad meal yet in there.

A bit dearer than your usual Indians but worth it IMO.

Haven't got any recommendations as I don't live in Edinburgh (though if not an Indian, I'd say go for Skerries restaurant), but I was just ever-so-slightly amused at your location....in relation to the thread title :D

went to clay oven in morningside last night and it was very nice...! or there is a nepalese restaurant just down from clay oven called Gurkhas and that was lovely but not been for ageeeeeeees!

Ignite at Haymarket. Very clean & a great meal.

The wife always gives me a treat after I take her there.

:P

Era Macaroons

India

or more locally .....Britania Spice , commercial st leith.....gives it the 'posh' treatment at reasonable prices and very good nosh.

Surely not after having a curry?! Ouch!! :eek:

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

The Quay in Musselburgh is fairly new but is brilliant. Indian resteraunt is upstairs and is owned by Sharan Gill who has all the resteraunts through in Weeg. Top place.

Surely not after having a curry?! Ouch!! :eek:

Spicey dips for afters.

Oooohhh.

Filth!

Stuart Lyon

Ignite is excellent but a bit expensive. Himalaya at Bruntsfield always good as is the Pataka over at Cusewayside.

Carl Fredrickson
went to clay oven in morningside last night and it was very nice...! or there is a nepalese restaurant just down from clay oven called Gurkhas and that was lovely but not been for ageeeeeeees!

Was at the Gurkha on Sunday - a truly stunning meal.

Oopsupsideyerheed

Ill book for 3 then........:P

Was at the Gurkha on Sunday - a truly stunning meal.

glad to hear is still amazing, I may have to make a visit soon, shall hint to the boyfriend....shame i go back to aberdeen tomorrow.

Im a Clay Oven fan as well. Usually go there for a sit down meal and there is usually loads more than you get elsewhere too.

Khushis was ok but I found it expensive compared to how good it was and how much food you get.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Anybody tried Roti on Morrison Street?

Run by Tony Singh that runs Oloroso too

Read some good reviews on it but not been as yet

chester copperpot

The Guru on Dundee Street/Terrace :confused: is the best sit down meal I've ever had in Edinburgh. Not been to that many Indian Restaurants in Edinburgh though I'm afraid.

Anybody tried Roti on Morrison Street?

Run by Tony Singh that runs Oloroso too

Read some good reviews on it but not been as yet

Yes. I've been a few times when it was in its previous location. Top notch stuff - Indian food with a difference.

I also rate Eastern Pavilions, Ignite, Voujon and Zest.

Khushis is cack - boring, unimaginative and over priced. Brittania Spice tries too hard to cover every type of cuisine from the sub-continent. They'd be better concentrating on fewer options of better quality. The Verandah is over rated.

If it were me and I was wanting to treat the wife to something special, it'd be Roti. ;)

The Guru on Dundee Street/Terrace :confused: is the best sit down meal I've ever had in Edinburgh. Not been to that many Indian Restaurants in Edinburgh though I'm afraid.

Good shout Andy.

We often sway up there in between sessions at the diggers on a home game.

Very reasonable as well.

chester copperpot
Good shout Andy.

We often sway up there in between sessions at the diggers on a home game.

Very reasonable as well.

Its a bit too wee, but the grub is magic.

Pete Seeger

The Corstorphine curry club was good when we went although not very posh or romantic if your treating the mrs. I din't think Brittania spice was all that good to be honest.

Not been in a while but the Omar Khayyam at Haymarket has always been one of the best for me. Top quality food at a decent enough price.

The Guru - Huge portions and tasty food but not the best looking place in the world.

Khushis - Great if you want to keep it simple, Pakora and Lamb bhuna are excellent but a bit pricey, also the not have a licence is a bit of a downer.

You can't beat any of those IMO. :)

Oopsupsideyerheed

Thanks everyone................I have booked the Voujon so will let you know.

Hopefully my erse will be like the start of Bonanza in the morning..........;) (sorry for you youngsters)

i agree, the food is lovely.

Chip Douglas
Thanks everyone................I have booked the Voujon so will let you know.

Hopefully my erse will be like the start of Bonanza in the morning..........;) (sorry for you youngsters)

Good choice, I echo all Therapist's advice on the matter.

Get the North India Chilli Garlic chicken.

Passage to India opposite the Playhouse is the best IMO!

Also the Ghurkha Brigade for a Nepalese restaurant is great too!

Feeling a bit of a porker now as I have been to all previously listed. Roti is excellent, however, it is more akin to a fine dining experience as opposed to "going for a feed" that I normally associate with Indians. A definate must try for a special occasion. Clay oven, Ignite & Omar's always hit the spot, Not a fan of the new ICC or the verandah. The service in Voujon & passage to India were a little poor.

Enjoy x

The Old Tolbooth

If anyone knows about curry houses it will be you mate, although I have to say that the Guru is an excellent choice and probably the best Indian meal I've ever had in my life!

The portions are so big that they offer you a doggy bag to take home with you too, and the nan breads are like freekin kites!! :P

Voujon in Newington, superb

Agreed. Only been the once, but would utterly recommend it based on that solitary experience.

glad to hear is still amazing, I may have to make a visit soon, shall hint to the boyfriend....shame i go back to aberdeen tomorrow.

Have you tried any curry houses in Aberdeen?

I have been to 2 and I would say that kurry on king street was the best I have tasted in Aberdeen.

For all the jambo's that have moved from Edinburgh area to Dunfermline area there is a new Indian Kushi's, which is where the old urban grill used to be, same as the one in Edinburgh byob!

Have you tried any curry houses in Aberdeen?

I have been to 2 and I would say that kurry on king street was the best I have tasted in Aberdeen.

For all the jambo's that have moved from Edinburgh area to Dunfermline area there is a new Indian Kushi's, which is where the old urban grill used to be, same as the one in Edinburgh byob!

gotten take aways from kurry quite alot...it is good! there are a few lovely wee indian restaurants....i live on crown st and have the jewel in the crown just up from me, it is superb! Cos am a student dont get to eat out as much as i would like to, pasta and cheese is my staple diet!

For those in edinburgh or glasgow use http://www.priceyourmeal.com, sort of ebay for meals ! Have got things like a ?30 food voucher for brittania spice for ?12 in the past.

Does brittania spice, 9 cellars, suruchi, suruchi too and verandah in edinburgh and for glasgow all ashokas, bombay blues, kama sutra, mr singh's (x2) and the spice of life !!

southlondonjambo

The Guru and the Veranda are both excellent - best curries I've had in Edinburgh.

Archived