Should JJ take the Role of DOF ?

HMFC-1874

Should JJ take the Role of DOF ?   

432 members have voted

1. 1. Should JJ take the Role of DOF ?

Depending on your answer please follow it with an explanation.

I say yes, for the reason he would do a great job !

yes i rather he be the manager do not get me wrong but obvious this does not look to be the case.

I think he should I think he won't.

He has been completely shafted and has far too much dignity.

The White Cockade

This

They have only offered him the job because they know he won't take it

This

They have only offered him the job because they know he won't take it

agree, and for this reason he should leave with his head held high.

Walter Kidd

I think he should. Would be good if he could swallow his pride and take the job the club's owner has offered him.

Was this not part of the original plan.........................come in and steady the ship for a couple of years then move 'upstairs'?

itsnomarooned

Yeah - why not, though if the story on the Kello thread is true it sounds like a terminal breakdown in the VR/JJ relationship.

Much depends on what exactly a DOF is required to do and where this sits with the new Coach/Manager. It's funny how this position can wrok very well abraod but falls flat on its face in the UK. There has to be a clear understanding of the roles and where the boundaries lie. JJ as DOF could take a more strategic role across the whole club ensuring longer-term thinking and planning. The Head Coach has more interest in the direct day to day with the first team. But there will naturally be some overlap and this is where you need a couple of people in the roles who understand and trust the direction of the club and also have the confidence in the senior management ................ ah, the flaw in the plan! :ninja:

he might prove to be worthwhile in a youth development role. a full DoF role or 'sporting director' position doesn't seem worthwhile as i don't really think we're a big enough club to warrant one. contractual dealings are always dealt with by senior management anyway.

youth development and/or retained consultant perhaps.

It's up to him

He turned 60 last november and it might make sense for him to take a step backwards into semi-retirement, take things easy, enjoy life a bit more. Or he might want to keep managing football clubs till he drops.

If he was my dad I'd rather he said yes

Yeah - why not, though if the story on the Kello thread is true it sounds like a terminal breakdown in the VR/JJ relationship.

So begs the question why VR would offer JJ the DOF role? Also if relationship is as bad as that post makes out, why is JJ taking overnight to think about it?

Special Agent Dale Cooper

I would like him to, but if I was in his position there is no way I would accept an offer of employment having just been sacked by said employer. JJ has far too much pride imo

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Was this not part of the original plan.........................come in and steady the ship for a couple of years then move 'upstairs'?

I voted no.

While this might well have been the intention, I don't think any sane rational person would consider that this method of achieving it was part of the plan.

Assuming what we've been told so far is anywhere near the truth, of course ....... :blink:

This for me.

The Mighty Thor

Hearts already have a DOF. He's based in Kaunas and the fax machine is his weapon of choice. For that reason Jim Jefferies will decline the offer and ride of into the sunset dignity intact.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I'm torn tbh. Earlier on I wanted Jefferies to tell Vlad where to put his job after what happened but I've had a little think about it and if Paulo Sergio does indeed come in as manager then he might have good contacts in Europe. Having an experienced head like JJ in as DOF may give the club a good balance and he could be seen as somebody Sergio could look to for advice on team issues and the like.

No. Will it have any power or influence over things nope. VR will do what he wants and truth be told it would be another salary we can ill afford to pay.

Pointless role and just a crap attempt to appease fans by giving him a job that means naff all!!

Completely agree. If he has been sacked just let him leave and get on with it. Will never work and IMO hinder the new manager.

No.

He has been sacked and should walk with his head held high. Hearts fans thank him for his efforts but it has been decided his time is up. If he stays, he would get in the way of the new manager IMO and any bad result and we would get fans calling for JJ to step back in.

Clean break IMO.

Why do we need a DoF? If we are to have one, we need someone with better contacts throughout football, than JJ,

I'd like him to take it. don't think he will but if he does at least a real Hearts man will still be an influence in the management team hopefully. If he doesn't I hope he doesn't sign any confidentiality clause..

Footballfirst

The only reason that Vlad will have offered JJ the DOF role is to avoid having to pay him compensation. Vlad (and an employment tribunal?) may view the new DOF role as being a fair alternative in a management reorganisation, particularly if there was no loss of earnings involved. If JJ turns it down it could be viewed as him walking out on the club.

I said no because I feel it will haunt the new manager and as soon as something goes wrong, fans will scream for JJ to step back downstairs.

I think that is why Hodgson got a rough ride at Liverpool. The fans and players wer enever going to take to him when a 'legend' was at the club.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Up to him if he wants a sinecure. I don't really care because it's meaningless.

The Old Tolbooth

I'd love him to still have a role at the club to play because the guy bleeds maroon and this was probably his last gig, there's absolutely no doubting his love for the club, one of lifes good guys. :thumbsup:

JJ is a great man manager, he can do this with the management team and when required help the coach out with players as required. It would be a great role for JJ. He's an honest man, Vlad respects that. He is a hearts man, Vlad respects that.

I'd love him to still have a role at the club to play because the guy bleeds maroon and this was probably his last gig, there's absolutely no doubting his love for the club, one of lifes good guys. :thumbsup:

You could say the same about me.

i put no,then changed it to unsure..........the new man will need time to settle in and having JJ close by might burden him,but on other hand his experience might be invaluable,its a tough one.........

Only a Game

Its an empty job with no real responsibilty or influence, probably offered to save Hearts paying so much in compensation and for no other reason. We dont need a DOF. I'd suggest we dont want JJ as a DOF even if we did need one.

Nah he should go, take his compensation and retire with dignity and class, with thanks, and with legendary status remaining intact.

jamboinglasgow

Its an empty job with no real responsibilty or influence, probably offered to save Hearts paying so much in compensation and for no other reason. We dont need a DOF. I'd suggest we dont want JJ as a DOF even if we did need one.

Nah he should go, take his compensation and retire with dignity and class, with thanks, and with legendary status remaining intact.

Ewan Murray has just put this on his Twitter page:

"Final point- detail of role offered to Jefferies is what Hearts have been crying out for. Scouting, recruitment, sensible wage negot etc"

Arthur Morgan

Yes, because he is a Hearts man and could keep the link going between fans and the club. It would also keep the likes of KK happy.

think he should from what he has brought in this summer, might be a better job for him if given the free rain to do so,,, if he declines good luck JJ top hearts man

No i think you should go give the manager full control of the team. He deserves a fresh start and a chance to prove himself without JJ looking over his shoulder. Nothing is really going to change if we keep JJ on because his views will still be heard and people will listen to him preventing the new managers idea's being heard. I think you need a true hearts man (eg Gary Locke) in the coaching staff however he does not always deserve to have a high position at the football club.

Just for the record i think JJ is an excellent manager and a hearts legend :thumbsup:

People on here saying JJ has been "completely shafted" WTF!

JJ had been at Killie for years. Done nothing of particular note since leaving first time.

He was approaching his 60s and Vlad gave him a job. Probably tripled his salary. He wanted Bb and Lockie and he duly got them. Vlad threw the fax machine away and gave JJ free reign.

He wanted Kyle he got Kyle. He got all his signings in the summer too.

He stopped winning games, our standards slipped and he got sacked. Also note JJ failed to improve our discipline on and off the pitch too.

The size of our squad and salaries we pay means 3rd is no achievement. Thats how it should be, just like the OF with their resources should be streets ahead of the rest.

We got 3rd by a baw hair and we got humiliated in the early stages of both domestic cups.

Now please explain how he was treated badly.

The only reason that Vlad will have offered JJ the DOF role is to avoid having to pay him compensation. Vlad (and an employment tribunal?) may view the new DOF role as being a fair alternative in a management reorganisation, particularly if there was no loss of earnings involved. If JJ turns it down it could be viewed as him walking out on the club.

Spot on! I hope JJ will realise this too and tell Vlad to stick it.

The Incredible Sulk

Jim has style, class and dignity so I hope he'll tell Romanov to stick it up his ******* arse.

Yes as his knowledge of the Scottish game will help the knew guy and also as already mentioned to put a Hearts man bk in the boardroom

as a Hearts supporter I say yes as he is a Hearts man and has vast knowledge and if He can work with the new man could be good

As a person I say no as how can he work with a regime that have effectively given him a no confidence vote, so I voted unsure.

When you get JJ you get BB and unless JJ thinks his day to day managerial career is over then this is a job that may suit him depending on the talk he and BB have. GL also will be hurting but I hope he can get over his pride and remain a Hearts employee but its gonna be difficult.

My take is that Vlad is not personnal but he is ruthless and can and will re employ if it suits him... look at Webster. Chances are unless this new man is a phenomenal success ( and I hope he is) he will be on his bike in a bout a year going by recent history and a SPH/GL mangement with JJ upstairs is not beyond the realms and job done we have Hearts men back in contol, they just need to get over the emotions of this and keep there powder dry

FFS just realised av got this guy sacked before he has taken his first training session

Archived