The Media

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the media about this decision. Spiers, Liam McLeod etc. rushing to make the "mad Vlad" move and portray Hearts fans as unanimously outraged at this. Spiers even claimed the fact that we aren't as a "carry on". Breathtaking arrogance. No doubt also Billy Brown will be given as much time as he wants on Radio Scotland this weekend to spout as much ill-informed, hateful bullshit as he wants, with no right of reply to the huge proportion of Hearts fans who are delighted to see the back of him and thought he was lucky to be back at Tynie anyway given how he laid into us in the past.

This isn't a "mad Vlad" moment. Our form has been wretched since February and the tactical naivety shown by such an experienced manager has been frustrating as hell at times. I wouldn't be surprised if most Scottish journos and ALL pundits, with their single-cell intellects, hadn't even noticed this. After all, who gives a fig what goes on from 3rd place down, eh? Would McCoist survive a spell of one win in 14? What about Lennon? Of course not. But, come on, that's different, we're supposed to know our place as a non-OF team and accept mediocrity. And mediocrity's being generous. Jefferies, with all his experience, can't be in the least bit surprised at this. It happens all the time in football and is so far from a 'Burley' moment it's painful to hear the same responses.

I hope whoever gets the job hits the ground running like a mofo. I hope he shows no fear to the OF and exploits what should be the tactical deficiencies of their inexperienced managers. I hope he wipes the clucking floor with everybody.

'Mon the Hertz!

completely spot on.

laughably, brian mclaughlin of the BBC represented the feeling of the hearts support by basing his reporting on the mumblings of a handful of monosyllabic roasters who inevitably descend on tynecastle after such events. the feelings of the vast, silent majority are never taken into account. a minority will agree wholeheartedly with the decision, and a majority will probably understand/accept it, with some reservations.

do those kind of people hare down to tynecastle to grunt and mumble into a television crew's microphones? no they don't.

i'm not surprised that spiers has said what he did. chic young did the same a while back. ignore and discount what the fans are saying or doing... replace their opinions and thoughts with your own.

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth in the media about this decision. Spiers, Liam McLeod etc. rushing to make the "mad Vlad" move and portray Hearts fans as unanimously outraged at this. Spiers even claimed the fact that we aren't as a "carry on". Breathtaking arrogance. No doubt also Billy Brown will be given as much time as he wants on Radio Scotland this weekend to spout as much ill-informed, hateful bullshit as he wants, with no right of reply to the huge proportion of Hearts fans who are delighted to see the back of him and thought he was lucky to be back at Tynie anyway given how he laid into us in the past.

This isn't a "mad Vlad" moment. Our form has been wretched since February and the tactical naivety shown by such an experienced manager has been frustrating as hell at times. I wouldn't be surprised if most Scottish journos and ALL pundits, with their single-cell intellects, hadn't even noticed this. After all, who gives a fig what goes on from 3rd place down, eh? Would McCoist survive a spell of one win in 14? What about Lennon? Of course not. But, come on, that's different, we're supposed to know our place as a non-OF team and accept mediocrity. And mediocrity's being generous. Jefferies, with all his experience, can't be in the least bit surprised at this. It happens all the time in football and is so far from a 'Burley' moment it's painful to hear the same responses.

I hope whoever gets the job hits the ground running like a mofo. I hope he shows no fear to the OF and exploits what should be the tactical deficiencies of their inexperienced managers. I hope he wipes the clucking floor with everybody.

'Mon the Hertz!

I agree!

What the op said. The Vlad bash is in full flow, maybe the media were happy knowing JJ no longer had the hunger to hurt the OF?

Chad Sexington

I'll be avoiding the media like the feckin plague.

I cant even begin to imagine the shite Chic Dung will be peddling over the next week or two. :vrface:

NewYorkJambo

'Mon the Hertz!

Well written, thoughtful post with points to back up your argument. Very unKickback-like!

I don't agree JJ should have gone, and I'm very much anti-Vlad, but unlike many on here at least you back up why you think Vlad was right to empty Jefferies.

Personally, I agree Jefferies had presided over a poor end to last season but with the players he brought in over the summer I think this was the wrong time to get rid of him. He should have been given at least the first ten games of this season and I feel he would have turned things around.

Orkneyjambo

Hopefully the media will represent the views of Hearts fans on this forum which seems decidedly mixed. They can't say everybody is hopping mad because they aren't.

However I don't think too many are happy either. Results were getting a bit worrying though I think JJ should have been given until November or so and should have been allowed to get the injured players back before judgement was so brutally passed.

However, I hope the players and fans accept the new Manager and make him welcome. i would love JJ to accept the Director of Football role and amazed and happy that he didn't just turn it down flat.

Oh for a media that tried to gauge opinion rather than think they can represent it

Francis Albert

As said on another thread a predictable contrast to the Paul le Guen case. "Rangers Revolution" and "Exciting Times Ahead" when he arrived. Ditto when he left after 5 months.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

As said on another thread a predictable contrast to the Paul le Guen case. "Rangers Revolution" and "Exciting Times Ahead" when he arrived. Ditto when he left after 5 months.

Exactly.

Also, John Hughes was sacked last season in very similar circumstances. How Petrie and Hibs fans coped with the media onslaught I'll never know. :rolleyes:

'Mon the Hertz!

Great post EH - we are supposed to know our place, and the media-crassy tell us that must be 'third at best, second every blue moon'. As you say this is light years away from that Burley moment, but 'madVlad' sells copy rather more than 'faithful club servant sacked after poor run of form'.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Well written, thoughtful post with points to back up your argument. Very unKickback-like!

I don't agree JJ should have gone, and I'm very much anti-Vlad, but unlike many on here at least you back up why you think Vlad was right to empty Jefferies.

Personally, I agree Jefferies had presided over a poor end to last season but with the players he brought in over the summer I think this was the wrong time to get rid of him. He should have been given at least the first ten games of this season and I feel he would have turned things around.

I don't even necessarily agree with it but it makes sense given we've all seen hundreds of managers fired after similar poor runs of form. My main gripe is with the reporting of it. It's so lazy, so dishonest and symptomatic of the chronic banality we have to suffer from our supposedly insightful football journalists.

NewYorkJambo

I don't even necessarily agree with it but it makes sense given we've all seen hundreds of managers fired after similar poor runs of form. My main gripe is with the reporting of it. It's so lazy, so dishonest and symptomatic of the chronic banality we have to suffer from our supposedly insightful football journalists.

I agree with you on the reporting. If the media is saying most Hearts fans are up in arms about this then that is wrong. It appears from Kickback that most people actually back the decision - which I'm stunned by. But everyone is entitled to their opinion!

I'm not "up in arms" but I do strongly believe it is the wrong decision and we will likely get a puppet in charge. Years ago I would have been angry but I find myself caring less and less. I don't like being apathetic now but it's what Vlad has made me.

It's the timing and the possible replacement that concern me most.

In isolation it isn't a dreadful decision.

The replacement will make or break whether or not a good decision has been made.

I'm fairly sceptical at what will follow.

Thunderstruck

Spot on OP.

If the media had cared to listen to the fans yesterday, they would gave noted a feeling that JJ had, once again, been our-witted by a SPL manager. They would have noted an exasperation with the rigid formation, the lack of guile and strange substitutions. They would have noted more than a few saying that JJ had had his chance.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The replacement will make or break whether or not a good decision has been made.

He's appointed two autonomous managers in a row and both finished 3rd in their first full seasons. Hopefully he realises this is the way to continue. I look forward to seeing if a European manager (with a pedigree that Csaba didn't have. It wouldn't be hard!) can really take on the inexperience of Mccoist and Lennon. Ever since Vlad took over we have had the potential to really push the OF. Jefferies, as much as I love the guy, just didn't have it in him to do that. I hope a new guy will.

completely spot on.

laughably, brian mclaughlin of the BBC represented the feeling of the hearts support by basing his reporting on the mumblings of a handful of monosyllabic roasters who inevitably descend on tynecastle after such events. the feelings of the vast, silent majority are never taken into account. a minority will agree wholeheartedly with the decision, and a majority will probably understand/accept it, with some reservations.

do those kind of people hare down to tynecastle to grunt and mumble into a television crew's microphones? no they don't.

i'm not surprised that spiers has said what he did. chic young did the same a while back. ignore and discount what the fans are saying or doing... replace their opinions and thoughts with your own.

Absolutely 100% this :thumbsup:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Talking about the media, manager fired and new man already picked out and still the BBC still don't "understand" what the **** is going on. Useless. :lol:

gavinderbayne

I think as other people have pointed out the timing of the managerial change isnt great with the Euro tie almost upon us, but at the same time, not so mad vlad will be lookin at the big picture and doesnt want to be dropping points to 'lesser' teams such as united!

From a media standpoint I will pick and choose from newsnow hearts which sites to visit, so that I can totally avoid the scottish media until a new manager is appointed.

For what its worth, which isnt much, Peter Houston seems like a decent guy, who seems to gel his team together pretty well. But thats just my opinion which isnt worth diddly squat!

Talking about the media, manager fired and new man already picked out and still the BBC still don't "understand" what the **** is going on. Useless. :lol:

It would be a silly journalist to report anything as fact when the club are being tight lipped about it.I don't think this is finished yet,could be very wrong but...!

Independence

'Mon the Hertz!

Top post.

Independence

Hearts are not the Old Firm. Until such time taht we are considered the Old Firm then the BBC website will not be interested.

No complaints whatsoever regarding the sacking, as previously pointed out by a poster JJ has taken us as far as he possibly can.

Strange timing though but I think we were in danger of going backwards.

Media frenzy!!!

Great post to start this thread by the way.

davemclaren

JJ's recent record was concerning but the timing is very strange. Why let him bring new players in if you are planning on getting rid of him after 3 games, only one of which was a defeat?

JJ's recent record was concerning but the timing is very strange. Why let him bring new players in if you are planning on getting rid of him after 3 games, only one of which was a defeat?

A cynic would say Season Tickets,Dave!:whistling:

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Hearts are not the Old Firm. Until such time taht we are considered the Old Firm then the BBC website will not be interested.

Are most of the BBC not on strike today?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Graham Spiers has lost it:

Utterly senseless, ludicrous and myopic of Hearts (or Vlad) to bin Jefferies. That?s now 9 coaches in 6? years. A fiasco of a football club.

'Mon the Hertz!

Great post, how many weeks of last season and at the beginning of this have we seen a pretty negative formation go out onto the park(even when we were winning) and never be changed. JJ's downfall has been his inability to blood young attacking midfielders instead of playing 2 defensive mids all the time. Have been a jambo for a long time and have to admit was gettting bored with the type of football we were playing. JJ has very limited tactical knowledge in my opinion and even less once a match starts. He unfortunately deserves what has happened.

Utterly senseless, ludicrous and myopic of Hearts (or Vlad) to bin Jefferies. That?s now 9 coaches in 6? years. A fiasco of a football club.

there will probably be a contest to out-hyperbole each other.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

How much of a "fiasco" did Spiers think it was at Ibrox when Le Guen was booted?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/murray-time-will-tell-if-i-ve-made-right-decision-1.850812

Also, Billy Dodds was getting in on the act too. Worth keeping for when he attempts to rip us a new one on Saturday:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/reputations-count-for-nothing-1.833588

Nookie Bear

This ponce should be given a slap on his next visit to Tynie.

Just for info - in terms of media coverage - the sacking has just appeared on BBC World News ticker tape (I'm in Mallorca on holiday)! An indication maybe of how infamous our managerial merry go round has become these past few years.

It was all a ruse to ensure that you'd set up the sponsorship of JJ's kit :rolleyes:

davemclaren

It was all a ruse to ensure that you'd set up the sponsorship of JJ's kit :rolleyes:

mmmm, good point. Probably means we will get 2, or more, managers kits at the end of season. :thumbsup:

Just last week Spiers was being praised on here for being honest and thoughtful now he's the devil.

JJ being sacked IS a disgrace. The majority if the hearts support do not sit on here all day posting pathetic photos including one of the manager they are now backstabbing.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Just last week Spiers was being praised on here for being honest and thoughtful now he's the devil.

JJ being sacked IS a disgrace. The majority if the hearts support do not sit on here all day posting pathetic photos including one of the manager they are now backstabbing.

Not at all. Spiers is a good journalist, one of Scotland's best, but he's lost the plot on this one. It doesn't matter whether the decision was the right one - on form alone it at least makes sense. Plenty managers have been let go for the way we've played since February. It's hardly down to "mad Vlad" alone.

Teuchterjambo

Tend to agree with all of this - I left the ground yesterday after witnessing JJ and his dugout brigade quite frankly looking rather hapless and unable to influence what was going on during the second half and said " you know after that Vlad is fit for punting JJ"

Now.... I am no profit but the reason I thought that was, it would have been a typical and not surprising "Mad Vlad" moment and tbh I think that is exactly what it was. If I really thought that he had sat down and considered the situation carefully and he had come to the conclusion that I had ie) JJ had done all he could and the time was right for change then I would be more comfortable. I tend to think though that the decision although possibly right was made for the wrong reasons and rapped up in conspiracy and subterfuge as usual and oh yes the timing stinks.

I think this is one situation where maybe Vlad got it right even if it was by accident and as you say above the next appointment will make or break whether or not the decision is a good one. If evere the club needed a wise and steady hand it is now and I sincerely hope that JJ can be persuaded to stay as DOF and is afforded the dignity that he so richly deserves.

Losing the plot is sacking a manager 2 games into the domestic season after letting the manager rebuild during the summer.

JJ was brought in to get us third he did so.

JJ was desperate for another striker in January - he got none.

JJ had to deal with our player of the year and club captain both getting dropped he did so.

JJ had to deal with the whole CT situation, he was doing so.

JJ as bother player and manager has been a very successful servant to our football club and had been totally shat on.

Any other club and we would be laughing our heads off. It's disgraceful not only how to run a football club but also treat a legend.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

It says plenty about the way our media regard Scottish football outside the OF when ONLY Ewan Murray is attempting to analyse this decision. We are a club that still harbours aspirations to topple the OF and we are by far the 3rd best and biggest club in the country with the third biggest wage bill. When the third best team in the country goes 1 win in 14 the manager is rightly under pressure. Would Roberto Mancini get away with it? It reeks of the tiresome, pat-on-the-head, condescending shite we've always had to put up with.

Aspirations to topple the old firm? Really?

I don't think so. Aspirations are to finish third and do well in cups.

You contradict yourself, you claim we have the budget to easily finish third in which I would agree but we also have no kind of budget to match the old firm.

So in terms of players or budget where do these aspirations come from exactly?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Aspirations to topple the old firm? Really?

I don't think so. Aspirations are to finish third and do well in cups.

You contradict yourself, you claim we have the budget to easily finish third in which I would agree but we also have no kind of budget to match the old firm.

So in terms of players or budget where do these aspirations come from exactly?

Our owner clearly believes, outside influences aside, that we should be able to win the league. He has done since 2005.

I'm not defending the decision, or Romanov. I'm trying to make the point that the way this has been reported today is pitiful.

Well the owner has lost the plot then and is delusional.

How can we match the old firm without competing financially? If we did surely it would be because the managers of two clubs with much more money were under achieving?

great op eldar , no doubt the headlines will be" mad vlad" to help influence our more media gullible fans,what annoys me is the way david murray had the corrupt media eating out of his hands. when david murray effectively sacked walter smith in 1998 there was not a murmer from the asrelicking media about mad david! even though midway through the season chasing an record 10 league wins in a row and smith is sacked for being a flop in europe. utter madness from murray.

Jam Tarts 1874

Losing the plot is sacking a manager 2 games into the domestic season after letting the manager rebuild during the summer.

JJ was brought in to get us third he did so.

JJ was desperate for another striker in January - he got none.

JJ had to deal with our player of the year and club captain both getting dropped he did so.

JJ had to deal with the whole CT situation, he was doing so.

JJ as bother player and manager has been a very successful servant to our football club and had been totally shat on.

Any other club and we would be laughing our heads off. It's disgraceful not only how to run a football club but also treat a legend.

I would like to see these fans who would be laughing their heads off after one win in 14.

Jam Tarts 1874

Well the owner has lost the plot then and is delusional.

How can we match the old firm without competing financially? If we did surely it would be because the managers of two clubs with much more money were under achieving?

Why do you think Vlad bought in all the players that he did when he first became the owner?

Why do you think Vlad has tried to find a way of increasing our ground capacity?

Drrrrrr!

RoussetsShorts

Can you imagine what that utter cretin tom english is gona write about this, he'll be at his PC the now masterbating frantically.

I would like to see these fans who would be laughing their heads off after one win in 14.

The 1 win in 14 has got a good airing tonight but let's not forget that we were so far ahead in 3rd because of a great peroid of last season.The last few games were torture at times but there was no way we were going to lose 3rd spot.

Put your quote in the context of the whole of last season and,no,nobody was laughing but sure we weren't getting caught.Sounds negative i'll concede but you could pick any season take it out of context and make it look good/bad.

Archived