Dimitru Copil Interview

Robbos Right Peg

This might or might not be all Copil's fault, but in general I'm disappointed by the progress we're making in bringing youths through. Something doesn't seem to be right with our youth setup.

Couldn't agree more. The people in KEY positions are nowhere near up to the task.

Okay, will have to take your word for it on his ability, as I have never seen him play.

With regard to getting the most from our playing staff. The setup at Hearts in the last 2 years is probably one of the worst in the world - certainly for the first team.

I only comment business. Because I'm not surprased. First is very small club UTA Arad and Director said that compensations 250 000 Euros is not problem for the team. Big and bad joke! Because I'm sure that UTA Arad have full buget for year max 800 000 - 1 million euros. Now - Dinamo!? Ow - this is another game. I think that Dinamo is not last. Emotions are emotions, but business, business...O.K. - all the best for all!

Robbos Right Peg
For first question: I definly think that he is hi class talent. Torres/Krkic - very special kids and...results. Don't say me mate that World Soccer is The Sun.

For second: special psychologists/teachers for him? I belive that this is the way if he is special for the club.

Finaly I repeat - I don't like character of this guy, but if he is business, no santiments.

NB: In club we have special guys and sons and I understend this. This is the f..rules of this game. People.

I agree with everything you say jamboBG. As you spoke to him do you can you tell me if his English was any good ? I was led to believe from hearts he could not speak very well

With regard to getting the most from our playing staff. The setup at Hearts in the last 2 years is probably one of the worst in the world - certainly for the first team.

Very pertinent point mate.

For example, we have had 4 attempts (or so we have been told) to get a decent new manager in and failed every time to do anything other than crystalise an interim or in house lackey.

I defy anyone who can provide facts of any other professional top flight team which can "boast" worse stats than this.

How can any player develop to their full potential in that environment? I'd also argue, how can any club hope to have a squad full of disciplined players in that environment. In every walk of employment if you dont have strong and consistent management, discipline and motivation go out of the window.

On Copil, maybe I picked up JamboBG wrong - I think he suggested he has the talent but possibly not the best of character?

I agree with everything you say jamboBG. As you spoke to him do you can you tell me if his English was any good ? I was led to believe from hearts he could not speak very well

Last answer from me - my english is better with 12 days in UK. But mate, he is not invited in Hearts for PR of course. I think that his level of education and general culture level is around medium level of 9-10 years old boy. But definly this level of education is not problem only for Copil. All the best!...;)

Robbos Right Peg
Last answer from me - my english is better with 12 days in UK. But mate, he is not invited in Hearts for PR of course. I think that his level of education and general culture level is around medium level of 9-10 years old boy. But definly this level of education is not problem only for Copil. All the best!...;)

Interesting. Because of where he came from I knew he would never make it on to University Challenge

Thanks JamboBG

Robbos Right Peg
On Copil, maybe I picked up JamboBG wrong - I think he suggested he has the talent but possibly not the best of character?

You are correct Jammy T as I said in a previous post the lad is not the sharpest of tacks. But anyone who knows the Romanian culture would have understood that before signing him. His home town is in a very poor part of the country and educational standards are low. However you just have to look at few of the OF to know that there is no requirement to have a hatful of Highers to make it in football.

I have to agree with JamboBG that Hearts should have done more to help the lad fit in with our culture as well as giving him the finest coaching in Scottish football of course.

Interesting. Because of where he came from I knew he would never make it on to University Challenge

Thanks JamboBG

You killed me. Sir James Watt now cry on his monument in front of Heriot-Watt...

bilston angel

I don't know all the backgound of why he left and perhaps others on this thread are only guessing. On the bald facts it would seem he is not impressing any Hearts fans by this action. However Jammy T's point about him not getting a chance because of all the dross blocking the way to the first team pool is a very valid.

Copil apart I would like to hear the views of some of the players who are nearest to a breakthrough, I know they are not going to go public on this issue but some people on this board must know them personally, and without naming them, obviously, can anyone comment on their feelings.

Ryan Gosling
I don't know all the backgound of why he left and perhaps others on this thread are only guessing. On the bald facts it would seem he is not impressing any Hearts fans by this action. However Jammy T's point about him not getting a chance because of all the dross blocking the way to the first team pool is a very valid.

Copil apart I would like to hear the views of some of the players who are nearest to a breakthrough, I know they are not going to go public on this issue but some people on this board must know them personally, and without naming them, obviously, can anyone comment on their feelings.

They think Copil's a fud too.

:D

Ryan Gosling
From what I have heard I would agree.

My point kind of is though, those Kaunas guys took up 6 squad players. Copil would have been more involved at a higher level and possibly more motivated.

I certainly think they have held up the development of some of our youth.

I'd guarantee as far as I can McGowan would have played more by now if Zaliukus wasnt here. Likewise Glen without Klimek and Beniusis.

Anyway, I am straying off topic. Apologies

Zaliukas didn't play for 2 and a half months, and Frail could have put McGowan in - he put Karipidis in, so don't blame it on Kaunas squarely.

Also, Frail says what I feel about Copil too - he's got the talent but he's deluded if he thinks he's anywhere near ready for the first team. He struggled in the reserves.

He's got delusions of grandeur.

Dirk Diggler
Copil's problem is he fell over in the wind, did a mean stepover though, shame about the rest of his game being non existent

The fact is he is a hearts player and we should sue the little ballbag for every penny he has taken off us back and refuse to release him for any less than we paid

His and Branny's situations are there own doing and if it doesnt profit hearts Im happy for them to warm a trailer park field for the next few years

I bet copil and his family are happy enough living off our money so feck them

Agreed.

Robbos Right Peg

Also, Frail says what I feel about Copil too - he's got the talent but he's deluded if he thinks he's anywhere near ready for the first team. He struggled in the reserves.

He's got delusions of grandeur.

Frail thinks Clum is a player so I am not too interested in what he thinks about a players ability tbh. Might be interested to hear why he thinks that a player so highly rated before he came could not 'make it' in our reserve side after 2 years. It's not like we are overly blessed with stars.

If the boys attitude was wrong then it the job of the coaches to rid him of that. Messrs Frail, Murray etc probably have as good a command of Romanian as Copil has of English so that might be a problem.

Come to think of it did I not just hear Frail yak on about Beslija having the wrong attitude as well ?

Dr Ian Malcolm

Don't see how Hearts can take the blame for this one - the boy says he's left because he didn't get a chance in the first team - what the hell has he done to justify it? Moaned about having to clean boots? The argument about having too much dross ahead of him doesn't wash with me. Look how many central midfielders we've got - didn't do Eggert Jonsson any harm - mainly because he has the right attitude to go along with his ability and worked hard in order to imrpove to become , I think its now safe to say, a first team regular. Copil's what just turned 18? Jonsson is two years older than him and he's only just now started to get the rewards for his hard work. Seems Copil needs a bit of perspective.

Hearts, in fact all football clubs, can do so much in terms of preparation and coaching young players but t the end of the day its up to them. If they don't want to work and earn their chance in the team then its not gonna happen for them. Ferguson says it himself in his book, they can have all the ability in the world but if the attitude isn't right then he's not interested.

Ryan Gosling
Frail thinks Clum is a player so I am not too interested in what he thinks about a players ability tbh. Might be interested to hear why he thinks that a player so highly rated before he came could not 'make it' in our reserve side after 2 years. It's not like we are overly blessed with stars.

If the boys attitude was wrong then it the job of the coaches to rid him of that. Messrs Frail, Murray etc probably have as good a command of Romanian as Copil has of English so that might be a problem.

Come to think of it did I not just hear Frail yak on about Beslija having the wrong attitude as well ?

Aye fair point. And he's apparently not helping anyone with the way he's dealing with Pinilla either.

Wee fud.

Keep him out of football until we receive a decent bid for him.

Yep, he strikes me as a wee fud as well.

That said, if he's soooo promising why not hold out for a million or two from a decent club, rather than the 150k those dynamo **** commies are offering.

Robbos Right Peg
Don't see how Hearts can take the blame for this one - the boy says he's left because he didn't get a chance in the first team - what the hell has he done to justify it? Moaned about having to clean boots?

FFS I wasnae going to bother responding but I can't help myself. Just where in the article do you see that he is demanding first team football. The boy is complaining about hardly getting a sniff at any level. Not hard to disagree with when you look at the stats. In all the articles I have read he has never mentioned cleaning boots either. Perhaps though your understanding of Romanian is better than mine.

I am prepared to believe that he may have an attitude problem but no wonder when he is a youngster away from home with a very limited command of English and being frozen out. Anytime that is a problem Hearts answer at all levels is to not give the player a game. A man mangement style that is as modern as 'star jumps' at training.

Hearts can be blamed for this one because of the way they have managed (or not managed) Copil. As long as the youth set up remains the way it is they will never realise Vlads ambition of bringing through youngsters of a high quality. Its not only Dumitri Copil that is being short changed here but every other player from Under 19's up.

I have high regard for JamboBG who appears to have a high knowledge of european football and I think he is right in that the problem with Copil is homesickness pure and simple. If phsycologists are the answer then there is no guarantee they will change his mind and more money will go down the drain. I think we have lost him and we should recover as much money as possible if we let him go. I do not think it has anything to do with John Murray or any of Hearts' coaches or their methods.(no other young foreign player has walked out on Hearts)

FFS I wasnae going to bother responding but I can't help myself. Just where in the article do you see that he is demanding first team football. The boy is complaining about hardly getting a sniff at any level. Not hard to disagree with when you look at the stats. In all the articles I have read he has never mentioned cleaning boots either. Perhaps though your understanding of Romanian is better than mine.

I am prepared to believe that he may have an attitude problem but no wonder when he is a youngster away from home with a very limited command of English and being frozen out. Anytime that is a problem Hearts answer at all levels is to not give the player a game. A man mangement style that is as modern as 'star jumps' at training.

Hearts can be blamed for this one because of the way they have managed (or not managed) Copil. As long as the youth set up remains the way it is they will never realise Vlads ambition of bringing through youngsters of a high quality. Its not only Dumitri Copil that is being short changed here but every other player from Under 19's up.

Copil was telling the other boys that he wanted to leave for at least 1 year. He did have an attitude problem regarding doing jobs but he is not the only one amongst the foreign boys who are lazy. It could be the fact that the coaching staff were too busy kissing his ass to sign that they didnt make him aware of the other responsibilities of a young apprentice.

The most positive thing with regards to coaching is that Neil Mccann has become involved. It is a fact that young players respond to instructions from guys who they have respect for and Mccann has both the friendly nature and the football experience to be helping the youth players from 17s upwards.

Our current set up is in short a boot camp, bully the boys and hope somebody comes through the system. The ' i'll give my mate a job' mentality exists at the academy and as such this is why we have our current under 19s coach.

It is no coincidence that the profile section for this guy was left blank as at that time he didnt even have the full youth licence coaching badge. Now I may be over the top but I think that all coaches of 15's up should have the minimum of a UEFA B licence which would ensure that the kids are being looked after by guys who have the skills and quality to make them better.

I hate to say it but the likes of jonsson are typical examples of what we will produce in the future, athletic competent but nothing special.

WHY ? because we discourage skill,flair, and invention and we replace those things with running, running, and weights then some more running.

Clerry Jambo

There is a bit in my paper this morning with quotes from his agent.

Basically no club in Romania can afford to take him, he is contracted to Hearts and WILL return here as he can't play football anywhere else.

He goes on to say that Hearts have done everything they can to make him feel wanted and at home - also that Copil has told lies to the Romanian press, strong stuff indeed.

There is a bit in my paper this morning with quotes from his agent.

Basically no club in Romania can afford to take him, he is contracted to Hearts and WILL return here as he can't play football anywhere else.

He goes on to say that Hearts have done everything they can to make him feel wanted and at home - also that Copil has told lies to the Romanian press, strong stuff indeed.

What paper is this in, mate?

Clerry Jambo
What paper is this in, mate?

Daily Express Chief - maybe in THE Star aswell due to them being sister papers

Robbos Right Peg
Copil was telling the other boys that he wanted to leave for at least 1 year. He did have an attitude problem regarding doing jobs but he is not the only one amongst the foreign boys who are lazy. It could be the fact that the coaching staff were too busy kissing his ass to sign that they didnt make him aware of the other responsibilities of a young apprentice.

The most positive thing with regards to coaching is that Neil Mccann has become involved. It is a fact that young players respond to instructions from guys who they have respect for and Mccann has both the friendly nature and the football experience to be helping the youth players from 17s upwards.

Our current set up is in short a boot camp, bully the boys and hope somebody comes through the system. The ' i'll give my mate a job' mentality exists at the academy and as such this is why we have our current under 19s coach.

It is no coincidence that the profile section for this guy was left blank as at that time he didnt even have the full youth licence coaching badge. Now I may be over the top but I think that all coaches of 15's up should have the minimum of a UEFA B licence which would ensure that the kids are being looked after by guys who have the skills and quality to make them better.

I hate to say it but the likes of jonsson are typical examples of what we will produce in the future, athletic competent but nothing special.

WHY ? because we discourage skill,flair, and invention and we replace those things with running, running, and weights then some more running.

I promise this is my final word on the subject. But everything SAMBOMAN says I would agree with. I have spoken to a few people and it seems that the last sentance sums up the youth development at Riccarton no wonder Copil and the more talented dont fit in. I have also heard that Hearts sent 20 on the last UEFA license course and 11 failed take out of that what you will.

As for the Express/Star reports I seem to remeber that it was only a couple of weeks ago that they were dismissed as 'rags' etc etc. So why are some so keen to believe them now ? And if papers source is Copils agent then if I were Dumitri I would get shot of him asap.

Finally (and I mean that honest) both teams in Bucharest could afford Copil without blinking an eye. Remember Hearts are not in a position of strenghth here. Perhaps the Express/Star jurno is getting confused with Arad (where he came from) who JamboBG quite rightly said have an annual budget that would probably not be able to take him back if no fee was involved.

Clerry Jambo
I promise this is my final word on the subject. But everything SAMBOMAN says I would agree with. I have spoken to a few people and it seems that the last sentance sums up the youth development at Riccarton no wonder Copil and the more talented dont fit in. I have also heard that Hearts sent 20 on the last UEFA license course and 11 failed take out of that what you will.

As for the Express/Star reports I seem to remeber that it was only a couple of weeks ago that they were dismissed as 'rags' etc etc. So why are some so keen to believe them now ? And if papers source is Copils agent then if I were Dumitri I would get shot of him asap.

Finally (and I mean that honest) both teams in Bucharest could afford Copil without blinking an eye. Remember Hearts are not in a position of strenghth here. Perhaps the Express/Star jurno is getting confused with Arad (where he came from) who JamboBG quite rightly said have an annual budget that would probably not be able to take him back if no fee was involved.

Totally agree - both teams could easily afford Copil if interested. It disappoints me to hear of all these stories about the coaches being useless bla bla bla........certainly the youth results could and should be much better

Too many players get shafted at Hearts cos their "face don't fit" for it to be a coincidence tbh. Not enough youth get the chance either imo. Don't see how other teams can play youngsters while ours have to be held back and less able players continue to waste all our time.

We've no manager, and our whole team ethos seems amateurish, so no real reason to expect the Academy to be a shining bastion of football when the rest is a pile of pish.

New manager would soon sort it out, Vlad getting him in the door now could very well sort out any issues with Copil etc etc by providing a clean slate from which to work from.

Other than the remarks made by the agent about no clubs being able to afford him, the rest ties in with what I had heard about the academy's treatment of Copil. I'm sure someone else could give a more detailed story but a few weeks ago someone here mentioned that the coaches had taken into consideration that he was homesick and that he had been very much treated with kid gloves. Apparently one of them even bought him a laptop out of their own money to try and keep the lad happy but they had no luck and he tried to get away with murder on a regular basis.

I'm not sure which version is true out of all of this stuff but what IS clear is that he has an attitude which would worry any coaches. If he's not the brightest, there's every chance his head has been vastly inflated by his inclusion in the top 50 kids or whatever the list was....but he doesn't appear to understand that there's a big difference between being a kid with great potential and being the finished article. Unless you're a world class footballing genius (and how many of those appear regularly?) you have to have the work ethic that gets you from A to Z. He doesn't give the impression that he has any work ethic whatsoever and if thats the case, its very harsh to pin responsibility for his lack of development on the coaches at the academy. They're not miracle workers.

His agent could be regretting the disappearing act back to Romania and the reasons behind his comments on that could be almost anything, but I doubt they're about the Bucharest clubs not having the cash. I'd be more inclined to think that they just don't want his services if anything. Weird comments aside, I hope his agent stops fecking around and sorts the lad out cos one thing he clearly needs above all else is somebody straight-talking who can deflate that big teenage ego.

rudi must stay
Couldn't agree more. The people in KEY positions are nowhere near up to the task.

i think they are more than up to the task, we have brought through a number of great players: Gordon, Naysmith. The problem is Copil doesn't want to be here, they could give him all the training and advice in the world but it doesn't matter cos he wouldn't listen anyway. That's how i see the situation

Footballfirst

The league tables for the last few seasons may give a clue as to how the youth set up is going. Some may argue that winning doesn't matter at youth level. I agree to some extent, but I feel that by the time kids are 18/19 they should be stepping up to the mark competitively. The league positions don't exactly suggest that the we are improving at U19 level since the academy was established.

2007/8 - 5th (3 games to play)

2006/7 - 6th

2005/6 - 3rd

2004/5 - 3rd

2003/4 - 3rd

2002/3 - 4th

2001/2 - 3rd

Dr. Bapswent
Other than the remarks made by the agent about no clubs being able to afford him, the rest ties in with what I had heard about the academy's treatment of Copil. I'm sure someone else could give a more detailed story but a few weeks ago someone here mentioned that the coaches had taken into consideration that he was homesick and that he had been very much treated with kid gloves. Apparently one of them even bought him a laptop out of their own money to try and keep the lad happy but they had no luck and he tried to get away with murder on a regular basis.

I'm not sure which version is true out of all of this stuff but what IS clear is that he has an attitude which would worry any coaches. If he's not the brightest, there's every chance his head has been vastly inflated by his inclusion in the top 50 kids or whatever the list was....but he doesn't appear to understand that there's a big difference between being a kid with great potential and being the finished article. Unless you're a world class footballing genius (and how many of those appear regularly?) you have to have the work ethic that gets you from A to Z. He doesn't give the impression that he has any work ethic whatsoever and if thats the case, its very harsh to pin responsibility for his lack of development on the coaches at the academy. They're not miracle workers.

His agent could be regretting the disappearing act back to Romania and the reasons behind his comments on that could be almost anything, but I doubt they're about the Bucharest clubs not having the cash. I'd be more inclined to think that they just don't want his services if anything. Weird comments aside, I hope his agent stops fecking around and sorts the lad out cos one thing he clearly needs above all else is somebody straight-talking who can deflate that big teenage ego.

We've been to Romania, why would he be of the attitude to expect special treatment or laptopts etc? We know thats not thier attitude.

I dont think thats the case.

Seymour M Hersh

Why do you feel you are such an expert on our youth set up?

Darren Murray is pretty hated and the harmony has dissapeared since frail moved on, as mentioned it is jobs for the boys as given vlads ambition should we really have a former mussleburgh player/coach with very few qualifications in charge of our highest youth team?

Should we hell

We do need to look at bringing in a top coach, but also trimming the squad as its already clear it has far too much deadwood which causes rotation and unhappiness

We also mollycoddle our players far too much, its an absolute joke mcgowan is still waiting for a debut as he has been ready all season

We also hold onto kids too long, the likes of the armstrongs, mclaughlin, lithgow, park, mackle should all be on building sites by now yet we have them contracted to us, in some cases until their mid 20's

The youth set up is as farcical as our first team set up and tbh I doubt we can expect it to change whilst Darren and John "yes men" murray is there

Just going by his performances when i watched him play.Good dribbling and crossing skills.Lazy,no heart and would never ever make it into the 1st team.

Honestly it wouldn't really bother me when he leaves.A lot of fuss over nowt.

Seymour M Hersh
Darren Murray is pretty hated and the harmony has dissapeared since frail moved on, as mentioned it is jobs for the boys as given vlads ambition should we really have a former mussleburgh player/coach with very few qualifications in charge of our highest youth team?

Should we hell

We do need to look at bringing in a top coach, but also trimming the squad as its already clear it has far too much deadwood which causes rotation and unhappiness

We also mollycoddle our players far too much, its an absolute joke mcgowan is still waiting for a debut as he has been ready all season

We also hold onto kids too long, the likes of the armstrongs, mclaughlin, lithgow, park, mackle should all be on building sites by now yet we have them contracted to us, in some cases until their mid 20's

The youth set up is as farcical as our first team set up and tbh I doubt we can expect it to change whilst Darren and John "yes men" murray is there

Going by your comments on your other thread it's clear you are not able to spot a player so I'll take what ou say with a cellar of salt.

Archived