Why Not

Rossco1874

Coming through from Glasgow this weekend for a mates 21st. Only ever come through for the football so never actually been on a night out in Edinburgh.

He's wanting us all to go to a place called Why Not and I thought I'd ask the Kickback faithfull what the script is with it?

Sort of clobber is required, prices, fawnny, what the bouncers are like. Just standard info..

Coming through from Glasgow this weekend for a mates 21st. Only ever come through for the football so never actually been on a night out in Edinburgh.

He's wanting us all to go to a place called Why Not and I thought I'd ask the Kickback faithfull what the script is with it?

Sort of clobber is required, prices, fawnny, what the bouncers are like. Just standard info..

Dont go anymore, because at 27 - you feel ancient in there.

Used to go, it was decent enough. Plenty burds.

There is nowhere brilliant in Edinburgh these days.

Bouncers were cocks back when I was going.

Nicholas Brody

Better to wear smart clobber and not turn up in a huge group

This. No trainers I think, but may be wrong.

Plenty cash and don't look remotely drunk at the door. Actually just don't look like you've had a good time or the bouncers wont let you in.

It's decent enough, I'll be there! Plenty ###### but make sure to stick to groups of 2/3 and no white trainers. ?5 for a pitcher of vodka + any mixer.

Tommy Wiseau

Better to wear smart clobber and not turn up in a huge group

Amended that for you Hannibal.

It's a dive, full of hairdressers flashing the cash like they're on ?70k a year. You might see Lee Wilkie or a Hibs youth player trying to get a bag off though, so every cloud and all that. :cornette:

This. No trainers I think, but may be wrong.

Plenty cash and don't look remotely drunk at the door. Actually just don't look like you've had a good time or the bouncers wont let you in.

Wouldn't say you need plenty cash, it's regular George St. prices.

They have bags of vodka on a friday night. 4 shots of vodka and one can of redbull in a bag. They are lethal. Only ?6 or something like that

rossthejambo

Wouldn't say you need plenty cash, it's regular George St. prices.

Plenty cash it is then.

They have bags of vodka on a friday night. 4 shots of vodka and one can of redbull in a bag. They are lethal. Only ?6 or something like that

Jetpacks, very lethal. I know a bursd who works there so she doubles the alcohol :yas:

must agree with sten that edinburgh is totally gash for places these days. i've never known the toon to be so bereft of decent gaffs.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Wall to wall with cretins.

90% will be wearing cream chinos and a checked shirt. nap.

The fact that they turn people away for wearing white trainers says everything you need to know about this place.

Have been in this place twice from memory. Two times too many. It's Citrus or nowhere for me on a Saturday night.

must agree with sten that edinburgh is totally gash for places these days. i've never known the toon to be so bereft of decent gaffs.

Big time.

Edinburgh is pretty gash.

Advice to OP - tell them to meet you in Glasgow. :lol:

jamboinglasgow

Been there twice, survived the first time, but second time I went with friends and was not drinking that night, worst night at a club I have ever had. The client?le are mostly Nedish lads for the men and orange and bleach blonde women. As others said everyone is too young, I was 23 at the time and felt too old.

I prefer Liquid Rooms.

I'm 24 and wouldn't go back to Why Not.

Seen as a trendy place to go, but it's remarkably shite.

And the clientele are mostly studenty bellends on daddys credit card.

This is where clum was beaten up by some hobo loser fae lochend, to the delight of the hobos who sang " it only took one punch".

Had an argument about this place with a younger colleague at work. Being 34 I remember nightclubs when they were nightclubs. Proper DJ's who could entertain. Why Not is just a massive bar that plays music. There is a difference. Its Subway West End with make up on. Not knocking it, if thats what you like and without sounding patronising the Credit Card and Jaeger Bomb brigade wont know any better. Clubbing days are over, loved every second, now a local pub on a Saturday night and not ashamed to admit it.

Dripping with ###### though to be fair!!!!

Better to go to Pipers or Mad Hatters....

Bobby Mcgee's is good as well...

Just to confirm my thoughts, whats the general age of the people writing off Why Not, 26/7?

I'm very close to turning 28 and have been writing it off since my early 20s.

Cheers for the info guys, driving through tomorrow and heading there Friday then just crashing at his flat till the game on Sunday.

So what I've gathered is that ill be drinking bags of vodka with the air head brigade whilst making sure I'm definitely not wearing white sannies but admiring the decent fawnny around.

Doesn't sound that bad, Glasgow is full of Young Money Daddy's Money so I'm immune to that!

Just to confirm my thoughts, whats the general age of the people writing off Why Not, 26/7?

I would say - 18 to 24 mainly.

rossthejambo

23, but I've been writing it off since I was 19.

I would say - 18 to 24 mainly.

The majority so far have been 24-28 I'd say, which was exactly as I expected.

Tommy Wiseau

Got something against that demographic, ya ageist? :lol:

Seriously though,that place has been gash since as long as I can remember. I went on my 18th and it was shite then anaw. What was it called before, anyone? Racking my brains trying to think if it had another name.

rossthejambo

As I posted (and others have too) I've been slating the place ever since I went when I was 19, and from what I've heard from people nothings changed so I've no reason to think it's got better in 4 years, in fact it's probably got worse.

Anyway, if you enjoy it then that's perfectly acceptable, whatever floats your boat and all that. I think it's a shitehole.

Got something against that demographic, ya ageist? :lol:

Seriously though,that place has been gash since as long as I can remember. I went on my 18th and it was shite then anaw. What was it called before, anyone? Racking my brains trying to think if it had another name.

Nothing against them, just knew it would be people of that sort of age that would be putting Why Not down.

heartsfc_fan

Not a fan of the place at all. Been 3 or 4 times with friends (usually tag along with the crowd) but it's sh**e.

Sticky carpet aswell from what I remember :ermm:

To be fair, it's markedly worse on a Saturday night.

If i'm heading into town for a good session, i'd recommend starting off in the Grassmarket early doors. Plenty good boozers in that area such as The Black Bull, Three Sisters, etc. Then heading over for town proper really only leaves you with George / Rose Street. Rose Street (If you didn't know it's the pedestrian walkway behind Princes St) has got loads of pubs, but they are proper pubs rather than bars for the most part. Plenty opportunity to get wankered for cheapness. The Standing Order on George St is another good way of not having to part with loadsa cash for drinks.

Other than that i'm a fan of Amicus Apple, Grand Cru, and 99 Hanover Street which are more 'bar-y'. If you want to end up in a club, assuming you want to avoid Subway/Cavendish etc, you're choices are Shanghai (not bad), Why Not (discussed above), Opal Lounge (OK, but full of hairdressers ordering cocktails, and it's bloody expensive) or somewhere like GHQ (gay club, but music is always rocking).

Just my opinion though! ;)

graeme

Been there twice, survived the first time, but second time I went with friends and was not drinking that night, worst night at a club I have ever had. The client?le are mostly Nedish lads for the men and orange and bleach blonde women. As others said everyone is too young, I was 23 at the time and felt too old.

I prefer Liquid Rooms.

And so you should, the owner is a season ticket holder at Tynecastle :)

Be aswell going to the Hive, you can get more drunk, put up with the same number of a-holes and you will save about 50 quid!

Creepy Lurker

So people who've actually been around a bit and know what a decent night out's like, then?

In all seriousness, I'd say that you probably have a decent point here. Why Not is somewhere that you'll probably not mind if you're in your late teens to early twenties, but if you're older then it might not be the place for you.

Not my cup of tea, to be honest, but if others do like it then it's really their business.

Be aswell going to the Hive, you can get more drunk, put up with the same number of a-holes and you will save about 50 quid!

:facepalm:

That's all I can say.

The Hive is a thoroughly rotten shout, like.

Smells of body odour and is full of emos.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Whynot on a friday is the best night uptown, cheap, deadly clunge, usually full of people i know. The downside as mentioned above are the toffs with their chinos and rugger mates. You'll have a great time.

The Hive is a thoroughly rotten shout, like.

Smells of body odour and is full of emos.

Never said it was good, just cheaper for the same pish night out you would have in Why Not!

:what:

Archived