McCoist does a Fergie (NHC)

tartofmidlothian

Nookie Bear

Pretty disgraceful if true and also flies in the face of the BBC's supposed fair reporting ethics.

Rangers took a hammering from the media last season and allowed sellick to manipulate the media as much as they liked - they are determined not to let that happen again this season.

The BBC have already said that McCoist was hit with the question out of the blue and his reaction went from cheeky chappy to "deadly serious" very quickly.

From what it looks like - it's some horrendous editing and has been done without realising.

That said - McCoist is a bit over the top with his reaction.

bbc are in the wrong, but i cant help but feel mccoist is being a bit ott. still, if he's new to the job its understandable he'll want to flex his muscles. it certainly never did any of his predecessors (or ex-chairmen) any harm to let the media know whose boss.

tartofmidlothian

Pretty disgraceful if true and also flies in the face of the BBC's supposed fair reporting ethics.

Rangers took a hammering from the media last season and allowed sellick to manipulate the media as much as they liked - they are determined not to let that happen again this season.

In this and only this respect I'd be right behind them, Celtic had more slippery spin than David Cameron and Rupert Murdoch put together last season.

tartofmidlothian

Looked like a rush job from the BBC - folk who think there's genuine malice in it are morons but.

Here's a decent insider-y take on it - http://www.thefootyblog.net/?p=3883

Good link, and I'd be inclined to agree it was probably just one junior editor ballsing it up.

Although interesting that it's the smirk being taken issue with. For me the most telling thing was his "no, no problem" chat when asked if he was worried about fans' behaviour this season. Nothing to see here, our fans are the greatest, blah blah blah. I thought this was maybe the answer to another question, IMO he still looks like a bit of a c0ck if that's all he came up with on the issue.

Would swear that someone looked like they were on orders not to offend the knuckle-dragging, season ticket-buying masses :ninja:

Ecce Romanov

Do I look bovvered?

It will hopefully mean there will be more time for non-OF interviews (assuming they don't take up more time talking about the fact that he is not talking to them!).

tartofmidlothian

Do I look bovvered?

It will hopefully mean there will be more time for non-OF interviews (assuming they don't take up more time talking about the fact that he is not talking to them!).

Or just Chick Dung leaving voicemail after tearful voicemail on Swally's answerphone from midday until kick off.

:sob:

This is quite a big deal considering not only did McCoist work for the BBC through Sports but other avenues also and for him to tell them to GTF is possibly burning bridges further on in his career.

I do actually think that Rangers' bigotry is highlighted a lot more than the stuff Celtic do and they are equally as bad.

tartofmidlothian

RFC get apology, still sobbing into their cornflakes though.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20110726/bbc-apologise-to-ally-mccoist_2254024_2402263

Good to see the media kowtow to both halves of the OF when they chuck their toys. Now that's balance.

In other news, Swally getting a grovelling apology from them within minutes and SAF still waiting after years :lol:

Buffalo Bill

Celtic are better at arguing that their IRA-related songs are 'folksy' and 'political', as opposed to sectarian.

jamboinglasgow

This is quite a big deal considering not only did McCoist work for the BBC through Sports but other avenues also and for him to tell them to GTF is possibly burning bridges further on in his career.

I do actually think that Rangers' bigotry is highlighted a lot more than the stuff Celtic do and they are equally as bad.

I do agree with you to a point, one of the only times it was recently highlighted at Celtic's singing was half time at the cup final. The sad thing is that Celtic fans have been demanding an apology/heads rolling for daring to say such a thing as they claim there was no pro-IRA stuff sung. Which would be fair had it not been the fact that during the first half you could clearly hear "We are the IRA/ohh ahh up the 'RA" being belted out. Ewan Murray's twitter about Rangers and the bbc sort of apology (there is a lot of debate at the moment was it an apology or a clarification) is full of Celtic fans frothing that they should get an apology, double standards, they are not the other side of the same coin/it is unfair to call them an old firm team.

Rangers stuff should still be highlighted though.

Celtic are better at arguing that their IRA-related songs are 'folksy' and 'political', as opposed to sectarian.

They are also very good at using the persecution angle and how everyone seeks to oppress them at every turn.

Hopefully this season, the keech from both sides will not be tolerated but somehow I doubt it!!!

What a bizarre episode. Would anyone have honestly noticed if McMoist hadn't taken the huff?

While I don't expect anything other than fawning and felching from Chick Young, it would be good if this means the Beeb are less likely to pander to der Hun in future.

Why can I not watch this on i-player? You can't seem to watch any news programmes for some reason.

"I am writing to you regarding the concerns you have raised in relation to an item transmitted on BBC News last Friday evening.

"Overall, we stand by the merits of our report revealing the extent of violence after Old Firm derbies and the cost of policing these matches. However, we do accept that the sequence involving comments from Rangers' manager Alistair McCoist could have given the impression that he did not take the issue seriously.

"It was not our intention to misrepresent Mr McCoist. The BBC accepts that Rangers Football Club and Alistair McCoist treat the issue of violence and disorder surrounding football matches as a very serious matter.

"We accept that offence has been caused by an inappropriate edit in the piece as transmitted and for that we apologise."

gogsfaesydney

Why can I not watch this on i-player? You can't seem to watch any news programmes for some reason.

If you want to see it have alook for SBS Australia thread the clip is on that.

Nookie Bear

Looked like a rush job from the BBC - folk who think there's genuine malice in it are morons but.

Here's a decent insider-y take on it - http://www.thefootyblog.net/?p=3883

I get what he is saying but McCoist is still owed an apology.

What's to stop the BBC showing footage of Hearts fans under a feature on sectarianism? Just because it may look better for the purposes of the item does not make it at all right.

Seymour M Hersh

Good to see the media kowtow to both halves of the OF when they chuck their toys. Now that's balance.

In other news, Swally getting a grovelling apology from them within minutes and SAF still waiting after years :lol:

Why should demento get an apology?

Archived