Team for Thursday

We_are_the_Hearts

Kello

Hammil McGowan Zaliukas Grainger

Black Mrowiec

Templeton Obua Novikovas

Sutton

Johanes de Silentio

If McGowan and Eggert earned their places on Saturday, (which they did) then so did Mrowiec, imo - in which case:

Kello

McGowan - Eggert - Zal - Grainger

Mrowiec - Black

Elliot - Obua - Temps

Sutton

Do The Dance

If McGowan and Eggert earned their places on Saturday, (which they did) then so did Mrowiec, imo - in which case:

Kello

McGowan - Eggert - Zal - Grainger

Mrowiec - Black

Elliot - Obua - Temps

Sutton

Would go with that. :thumbsup:

Kello

McGowan Jonsson Zaliukas Grainger

Mrowiec Taouil

Obua

S.Elliot-----------------Templeton

Sutton

I'd prefer Jonsson in midfield with Mrowiec but I wouldn't risk Webster and needing to use a substitution inside 15 minutes so I don't know who to put into defence.

Give me a sustained SPL challenge and decent domestic cup run over Europe any day. Don't get me wrong I'll be as delighted as the next man to reach group stages but I wouldn't want it at the expense of a pish domestic campaign.

I disagree. 88-89 was a pish season, but the European run (especially the win against Bayern) will live with me forever. Apart from beating Celtic 2-1 at Tynecastle in April, although we finished 2nd and got to the semis of the SC in the season before (87-88), it is only memorable for Henry dropping the ball twice in the last 5 mins of the semi.

So, for me, pish domestic season with European run > Decent domestic season.

I disagree. 88-89 was a pish season, but the European run (especially the win against Bayern) will live with me forever. Apart from beating Celtic 2-1 at Tynecastle in April, although we finished 2nd and got to the semis of the SC in the season before (87-88), it is only memorable for Henry dropping the ball twice in the last 5 mins of the semi.

So, for me, pish domestic season with European run > Decent domestic season.

Listen, we've got a pretty deep and decent squad, I see no reason we can't do both. Stearing clear of injuries is key. If we can keep the mahority of the squad, including key players, fit, we can have a very good season indeed imo and that's home and abroad.

That said, getting any further than the next round of the Europa is a huge ask. We'd need to be very lucky in the draw and then still carry some luck over the two legs. Being in the group stages would stretch us, but we've got a couple of players for most positions, so rotation should be possible, if done sensibly (rest Temps for Arvy if he looks papped and play Eggy at CH if Webster can't handle more than a game a month - don't change the whole XI!).

For me, getting to the next round is probably our marker in the same way coming 3rd in the SPL is: should aim higher, but no disgrace.

Archived