Picks itself now:

Kello

McGowan-Zal-Jonsson-Grainger

Hamill-Black-Mrowiec-Obua-Temps

Sutton

I'd go with that.

Wonder if Obua will make it :ermm:

Jambothroughandthrough

It's great to be playing European football again and it would be fantastic to reach the group stages

But......

......I fear it may be a distraction to the SPL campaign. I have feeling we're in for a stormer in the SPL this season. Improve our home form and beat the teams we should be beating and we'll be right up there.

Give me a sustained SPL challenge and decent domestic cup run over Europe any day. Don't get me wrong I'll be as delighted as the next man to reach group stages but I wouldn't want it at the expense of a pish domestic campaign.

rossthejambo

Picks itself now:

Kello

McGowan-Zal-Jonsson-Grainger

Hamill-Black-Mrowiec-Obua-Temps

Sutton

Switch Mrowiec for Elliott and move Hamill in one and I think we'd be onto a winner.

Wouldn't be too upset with that team like but just fancy playing a midfield 3 that can pass the ball.

I reckon we need to go out there and get an away goal..

I would go for an attacking 4-5-1 with 2 wingers that can push forward

Kello

Hammill-McGowan-Zaliukas-Grainger

Elliott-Black-Mrowiec-Obua-Temps

Sutton

SanliHearts

kello

mcgowan jonsson zaliukas grainger

hamill black

elliott obua templeton

sutton

I'd go with this

It's great to be playing European football again and it would be fantastic to reach the group stages

But......

......I fear it may be a distraction to the SPL campaign. I have feeling we're in for a stormer in the SPL this season. Improve our home form and beat the teams we should be beating and we'll be right up there.

Give me a sustained SPL challenge and decent domestic cup run over Europe any day. Don't get me wrong I'll be as delighted as the next man to reach group stages but I wouldn't want it at the expense of a pish domestic campaign.

Spot on.

Reckon we'll see stevo in there

Kello

Hamill McGowan Zal Grainger

Black Jonsson

Stevenson Obua/taouil** Temps/elliott/novikovas*

Sutton

*depending on fitness

**depending on fitness and availability

kello

hamill black

elliott obua templeton

sutton

This team looks good!

I'd go with this

i think it covers all bases in a way.

two sitting mids, either of which can get forward without leaving us exposed. either full back can get forward with the holding midfield player covering. plenty of attacking players to support sutton.

Kello

Hamill - Jonsson - Zaliukas - Grainger

Mrowiec - Black - Obua

Templeton

Elliott - Sutton

Vlad-Stupid

kello

hamill black

elliott obua templeton

sutton

Exactly what I'd go with :thumbsup: that team will get goals a plenty

rossthejambo

kello

hamill black

elliott obua templeton

sutton

That's the team I just posted dry.gif

That's the team I just posted dry.gif

so it is. you really should have set it out correctly instead of just explaining it.

poor team prediction patter IMO. :whistling:

kello

hamill black

elliott obua templeton

sutton

I agree this is probably the best team we can get for Thursday :thumbsup:

rossthejambo

so it is. you really should have set it out correctly instead of just explaining it.

poor team prediction patter IMO. :whistling:

Hmmm you win this round.

chester copperpot

Hmmm you win this round.

Tell him to go **** himself Ross, never let him win :)

rossthejambo

Tell him to go **** himself Ross, never let him win :)

:lol:

I usually don't but I'm in a very can't be arsed mood this morning. Got to let the lower class of poster get some victories once in a while. :smuggy:

chester copperpot

I usually don't but I'm in a very can't be arsed mood this morning. Got to let the lower class of poster get some victories once in a while. :smuggy:

Aye, but no him!

But......

Even in the Europa, the way money is split in the SPL we'd be better off finishing 3rd and getting in the group stages of the Europa than finishing 2nd. I say throw the kitchen sink at the two qualifiers and worry about the stretched squad when it happens.

The team mentioned by the OP looks like the best option... if Temps isn't fit... then we have a certain Lithuainian that could cause similar problems!

Ah... life is good.

Kello

Hamill - Jonsson - Zaliukas - Grainger

Mrowiec - Black - Obua

Templeton

Elliott - Sutton

I'd go with this - Elliot is wasted out wide IMO. He's a penalty box player and based on Saturday Sutton looks very clever in and around the box - the majority of his headers are actually directed towards his team mates as opposed to aimless flicks. Sutton and Elliot has potential to be Clark and Robertson like.

chester copperpot

What's everyone fancy the score to be?

I reckon a tight game that we will squeeze 2-1. Sutton with a brace.

Footballfirst

The weather forecast over there for Thursday is light rain and a max 24 deg, so that shouldn't be too desperate for us.

any draw or single goal (having scored) defeat will do nicely. all you can ask is to have a chance.

it's impossible to predict because i doubt anyone really has a good handle on how good they are.

SanliHearts

A comfortable 2-0 win :teehee:

Sutton double

maroonshrew

I'd go with this - Elliot is wasted out wide IMO. He's a penalty box player and based on Saturday Sutton looks very clever in and around the box - the majority of his headers are actually directed towards his team mates as opposed to aimless flicks. Sutton and Elliot has potential to be Clark and Robertson like.

Every week people predict a two up front then seem surprised when we dont play it. Now I might be wrong cos im not the manager but why on Earth would we go away from home in Europe and try going back to two up front. Especially in that formation which had absolutely no width which is our most luxurious area.

I think Hamill or Stevo on the right instead of Elliott will get the nod as its slightly less attacking. JJ wont be gutted if we get a 0-0 or even lose by one. I think he will be confident we can do them at Tynie. Another 1-1 would be a good result for us.

The Old Tolbooth

But......

History dictates that when we have a European campaign in front of us, even if we only last a couple of matches, then we have a poor league season (apart from under Levein) for some reason.

I'm kind of in agreement with you on this one, however I'm also no better than your average fickle football fan and would dearly love us to have a good European run, and a good domestic campaign too because I'm greedy when it comes to Hearts, and if we're not in it, then we can't win it, so to speak.

If we get past Paksi, then the chances of getting through to the actual league stages are very slim anyway because we would be unseeded for the final qualifier, and we would be up against a very good team in the next round. I'd love a crack at Birmingham City (assuming they're seeded) :unsure: for the simple fact that I think we could take them over two legs and it would get us into the league stages, however it's hardly a glamour tie going to Brum for our fans.

maroonshrew

History dictates that when we have a European campaign in front of us, even if we only last a couple of matches, then we have a poor league season (apart from under Levein) for some reason.

I'm kind of in agreement with you on this one, however I'm also no better than your average fickle football fan and would dearly love us to have a good European run, and a good domestic campaign too because I'm greedy when it comes to Hearts, and if we're not in it, then we can't win it, so to speak.

If we get past Paksi, then the chances of getting through to the actual league stages are very slim anyway because we would be unseeded for the final qualifier, and we would be up against a very good team in the next round. I'd love a crack at Birmingham City (assuming they're seeded) :unsure: for the simple fact that I think we could take them over two legs and it would get us into the league stages, however it's hardly a glamour tie going to Brum for our fans.

financially it would be though. Both legs qwould be packed out. an English tie is one I always want cos its a chance to prove ourselves. Like you say though dont know about their seeding.

kello

hamill black

elliott obua templeton

sutton

This would be my team.

vintage1874

But......

Thats my worry as well, over the years we've seen a few surprise results against the OF the weekend after european games. Hopefully Hearts will prove us both wrong against united and keep up the right end of the table.

vintage1874

Prefect big Davie O would get a game!

Every week people predict a two up front then seem surprised when we dont play it. Now I might be wrong cos im not the manager but why on Earth would we go away from home in Europe and try going back to two up front. Especially in that formation which had absolutely no width which is our most luxurious area.

I think Hamill or Stevo on the right instead of Elliott will get the nod as its slightly less attacking. JJ wont be gutted if we get a 0-0 or even lose by one. I think he will be confident we can do them at Tynie. Another 1-1 would be a good result for us.

Hamill, Grainger and Templeton - that's the width. While I agree a 0-0 would be a result, what worries me is the punt to Sutton as the out ball and there is no one near him, then we invite pressure on what is still an inexperienced defence (in terms of playing time together) if we can get crosses into their box and Sutton has someone to aim at then we'll cause them problems.

The second half at Ibrox demonstrated what happens with one up front when we start to get pinned back. The first half we got men round Sutton and created chances - so there is an arguement both ways - however with 2 starting up front we can have a go first half if we get a goal we can switch to 4-5-1 and hold onto a lead. If we go a goal behind JJ has a problem - does he hold out for 1-0 or does he open up to try and get an equaliser. Easier to start a game pressurising them IMO.

Hamill, Grainger and Templeton - that's the width. While I agree a 0-0 would be a result, what worries me is the punt to Sutton as the out ball and there is no one near him, then we invite pressure on what is still an inexperienced defence (in terms of playing time together) if we can get crosses into their box and Sutton has someone to aim at then we'll cause them problems.

The second half at Ibrox demonstrated what happens with one up front when we start to get pinned back. The first half we got men round Sutton and created chances - so there is an arguement both ways - however with 2 starting up front we can have a go first half if we get a goal we can switch to 4-5-1 and hold onto a lead. If we go a goal behind JJ has a problem - does he hold out for 1-0 or does he open up to try and get an equaliser. Easier to start a game pressurising them IMO.

It's funny how everyone sees the same game differently. I thought we ended up with more difficulty in midfield after Elliott came on as he and Obua both wanted to get close to Sutton. It looked like we were playing 433 at times.

nothing wrong with a non-simetrical line up imo

______________Kello

Hamill__McGowan__Zaliukas__Grainger

__________Black__Jonsson

______________Obua___________________________Templeton

________Elliott__Sutton

Jambothroughandthrough

I want it all as well but past history says we won't get what we want. Lets hope this is one of the seasons that is an exception to the norm.

1-1 for me and I agree with OP team selection

The Old Tolbooth

financially it would be though. Both legs qwould be packed out. an English tie is one I always want cos its a chance to prove ourselves. Like you say though dont know about their seeding.

That's a good shout, I wasn't thinking about the financial side of things with an English team :thumbsup:

Prefect big Davie O would get a game!

It's funny how everyone sees the same game differently. I thought we ended up with more difficulty in midfield after Elliott came on as he and Obua both wanted to get close to Sutton. It looked like we were playing 433 at times.

Indeed they did but problem was IMO, this made us narrow and gave them an attacking option down the wing that wasn't there before Templeton went off. They worried more about the out ball to Templeton than getting forward themselves.

The problem with going narrow is two fold 1) as above they can exploit space 2) If the ball comes back you get two midfielders caught in no mans land, and gaps all over the place.

Never been a fan of 4-5-1, although some of the top teams can play it well, I think we can play ok with it when Skacel is in the team, who kind of floats in the space between midfield and forwards but without him I think we lack a cutting edge.

Still only IMO, if we go 4-5-1 and come away with a good result then thats why i'm no the manager of Hearts :thumbsup:

maroonshrew

but the formation you initally agreed with was with Templeton in the hole behind the strikers and a midifeld three of Black, Adrien and Obua. So full backs are not enough width there, especially away from home, you want them focusing on defence first. Whilt im not disagreeing with you that Sutton will work excellently in a pairing as would Elliott. What im saying is we dont play 2 up front and havent in quite a while.

People seem desperate to move Hamill into midfield. I presume there was a reason Kilmarnock didn't play him there and usually played him at right-back for a large majority of the games. I suppose I wouldn't mind him getting a shot over Mrowiec but I think he did fine on Saturday.

but the formation you initally agreed with was with Templeton in the hole behind the strikers and a midifeld three of Black, Adrien and Obua. So full backs are not enough width there, especially away from home, you want them focusing on defence first. Whilt im not disagreeing with you that Sutton will work excellently in a pairing as would Elliott. What im saying is we dont play 2 up front and havent in quite a while.

Was it ? I thought it was meant to be a 4 with Temps wide right, if its Temps in the hole then I don't agree.

I know we haven't played 2 for a while - but that's not exactly been getting us goals - I don't see the point in having so many wide men with only one guy to aim for in the box (as good as he is). When Kyle is fit I'd love to see us go 3 up front with Elliot in behind the two big men, if we're at home against a "lesser" team (Hibs).

-----------------------Kello

McGowan Jonsson Zaliukas Grainger

----------------Hammil Obua

------Stevenson Black Templeton

-----------------------Sutton

kello

hamill black

elliott obua templeton

sutton

That's the one for me. Only thought is I'm sure Jeff said Paks are a big team, so wonder if he'd play Mrowiec for presence and height at set-pieces. I wouldn't - I'd go with the above team. Maybe Arvy for Elliott, but then 2Ts has more experience and maybe Arvy would be better in the home leg

maroonshrew

That's the one for me. Only thought is I'm sure Jeff said Paks are a big team, so wonder if he'd play Mrowiec for presence and height at set-pieces. I wouldn't - I'd go with the above team. Maybe Arvy for Elliott, but then 2Ts has more experience and maybe Arvy would be better in the home leg

McCann mentioned it int he post match. With Zal, Webster, Jonsson, Obua, Sutton all potentially in the same starting line up thats quite a presence. McGowan mentioned as full back he doesnt get the come up but surely he would be more use than the likes of Black up for a corner. Hes a big lad too.

I am not sure about Jonsson at centre half.. ok he had a good game there at the weekend but to be honest i feel that he sells a goal every couple of games he plays in defence.. he is easily turned, not fast enough and he gives away a few penalties..

These are not based on any stats just my opinion of him.. For me he is a defensive midfielder and should be played there if anywhere..

maroonshrew

I am not sure about Jonsson at centre half.. ok he had a good game there at the weekend but to be honest i feel that he sells a goal every couple of games he plays in defence.. he is easily turned, not fast enough and he gives away a few penalties..

These are not based on any stats just my opinion of him.. For me he is a defensive midfielder and should be played there if anywhere..

i think most of us agree. He has 2 games on one game off at centre half I think. But we have no choice really. With no replacement for Bouzid we have Jonsson, McGowan, Mrowiec for entre half if we all accept that Barr just isnt good enough.

i think most of us agree. He has 2 games on one game off at centre half I think. But we have no choice really. With no replacement for Bouzid we have Jonsson, McGowan, Mrowiec for entre half if we all accept that Barr just isnt good enough.

But he's never really had a right good run of games there. Such an unforgiving position and lets remember he's only 22. I think, and it is only a feeling, that if JJ gave him a run of games at CH - told him he'll play there and won't be dropped for 8 games no matter how he does - he'd flourish. I just think he has all the attributes to play there and he's generally impressed me when he has.

It's a shame Webster is such a poof cos he'd be great talking Eggy through a game and helping him develop. Zal seems a good talker too though.

kello

mcgowan jonsson zal grainger

hammill black

elliott obua temps

sutton

wasnt sure whether to play elliott or stevenson but think elliott is better suited to a wider role

Archived