Derek Ferguson comment on Radio Scotland

Guess The Crowd

Guess The Crowd

While praising Hearts for their performance yesterday, Derek Ferguson said that in the Hearts team that he played in, 5 or 6 were mentally 'beaten before they started' when playing big games against the OF.

I thought it was an interesting comment, given that the team he was in was the early 90s team, which included Smith, Berry, Levein, Colquhoun, Robertson and Mackay. They were all fine players, and theoretically at the peak of their careers at that time, yet all had gone through the trauma of Dens Park.

Thoughts?

kingantti1874

Seriously with our record against the old firm over the last 30 years, it does not surprise me at all...

While praising Hearts for their performance yesterday, Derek Ferguson said that in the Hearts team that he played in, 5 or 6 were mentally 'beaten before they started' when playing big games against the OF.

I thought it was an interesting comment, given that the team he was in was the early 90s team, which included Smith, Berry, Levein, Colquhoun, Robertson and Mackay. They were all fine players, and theoretically at the peak of their careers at that time, yet all had gone through the trauma of Dens Park.

Thoughts?

I assume he included himself in that 5 or 6. rolleyes.gif

I was about to say that that is hardly surprising. Then I realised it IS surprising. In the whole history of Scottish football, the 1980s is one of the very few periods when the OF didn't dominate. 3 titles for Aberdeen, 1 for United and one that would have been ours if we hadn't blown it at Dens. That era was when almost all of DF's team mates broke through. There was no reason for any of them to fear the OF.

Jambomullins

He makes a good point. Although Levein, Robbo, Mackay etc were great servants they like the majority of those who have played in the Scottish league over the past 30 years have lost their bottle on most occasions when playing the old firm. Derek Ferguson only ever tried when up against the old firm as he had a point to prove after being dumped by the huns but was anonymous 90% of the time against other teams. This is why Ferguson (who was our record signing for years) is not considered a Hearts legend.

I liked Ferguson as a player with us, but has anyone heard him co-commentating on Radio Scotland? He just sounds awful.

Thoughts?

Always remember being told by Robbo that Tosh McKinlay and Wayne Foster were always physically sick before going onto the pitch before big games, Cant recall them ever not producing the goods though.

For a team to go all the way to the last day in with a shout of the title takes some doing.......BUT that final hurdle is always the big tester...when you know you HAVE to win or at least not lose.

Some of that team played with Ferguson and beat the OF quite confidently and without fear. I don`t think it was any of them but they were part of many defeats against the OF as other Hearts teams through time aswell though.

But i don`t accept that they thought they were beaten before taking to the park, maybe it was others , the players who had come through or bought after 86.

Guess The Crowd

For a team to go all the way to the last day in with a shout of the title takes some doing.......BUT that final hurdle is always the big tester...when you know you HAVE to win or at least not lose.

Some of that team played with Ferguson and beat the OF quite confidently and without fear. I don`t think it was any of them but they were part of many defeats against the OF as other Hearts teams through time aswell though.

But i don`t accept that they thought they were beaten before taking to the park, maybe it was others , the players who had come through or bought after 86.

He didn't specify, so you may be correct.

But when you look through the others in that team (MacLaren, MacPherson, MacKinlay, Bannon, Crabbe,etc), you would imagine they were pretty strong characters too.

It would be a fascinating conversation to have with Ferguson, or Robbo, or whoever, because player for player, that was a great team who should have won a trophy or two....

Jambo Forever

Always remember being told by Robbo that Tosh McKinlay and Wayne Foster were always physically sick before going onto the pitch before big games, Cant recall them ever not producing the goods though.

That happens to alot of players. Roy keane used to spew his load before playing because of nerves.

You sure??

Its not coincidence that we struggle to get a result against the OF in the weeg in the same way we toiled for years to get the monkey off our back in winning the SC until 98.if we hadnt won that day we could still be waiting, albeit not 110 years but on the road towards it.

We've had good squads and managers in the past 30 years but we've not had a Fergie or Maclean with the utter belief that we could go into the OF back yard and give them a do-ing

50000 ref's, plus a ref and his 3 assistants, the GFA, SFA, and the biased weegie press to be fair make it virtually impossible to beleve we'll get nothing other than nowt.

Is there anyone on this message board who can honestly say they have'nt bottled out of something, say a fight, throwing an important dart, hitting a crucial golf shot, asking a bird for a date, etc,etc.?

68,76,86,98,06. Were all big occasions, but 86 was huge and 2006 although exciting could have been the same. Who knows?

Thoughts?

Don't recall Ferguson doing a lot in any game for us.

Obuas Dreadlocks

Can't recall Foster "producing the goods" anytime apart from 1 goal versus Hibs?

Can't recall Foster "producing the goods" anytime apart from 1 goal versus Hibs?

I can

I go to every Hearts match believing we will win.

The players and mgmt have not showed that same belief many times in the past, most recently that horrendous night in Glasgows east end last season.

Its not coincidence that we struggle to get a result against the OF in the weeg in the same way we toiled for years to get the monkey off our back in winning the SC until 98.if we hadnt won that day we could still be waiting, albeit not 110 years but on the road towards it.

We've had good squads and managers in the past 30 years but we've not had a Fergie or Maclean with the utter belief that we could go into the OF back yard and give them a do-ing

50000 ref's, plus a ref and his 3 assistants, the GFA, SFA, and the biased weegie press to be fair make it virtually impossible to beleve we'll get nothing other than nowt.

Is there anyone on this message board who can honestly say they have'nt bottled out of something, say a fight, throwing an important dart, hitting a crucial golf shot, asking a bird for a date, etc,etc.?

68,76,86,98,06. Were all big occasions, but 86 was huge and 2006 although exciting could have been the same. Who knows?

I had a quick scan through one of my Hearts books at the seasons DF was here. It was a bit of a mixed bag v the OF. We had a few wins and the odd creditable draw other than the defeats. Maybe i missed it but there didn`t seem to be any hammerings?

Again, his point was maybe playing in Glasgow but we did win through there in his time.

Prince Buaben

Most of teams go to Ibrox or Parkhead and believe they are beat before they take the park.

I can believe that - Just look at the start of Saturday's second half. Rather than going out and picking up where they left off they went out with the opinion that Rangers could not be as bad as they had been and so sat back and gave them the chance to play. Goal promptly conceded...

Derek Ferguson was a massive disappointment to me. Had great expectations for him when he arrived. Never really did the business for us.

Archived