Very young team?!

Jambomb

Just reading a report of Dundee utd's euro defeat and Houston is proud of his 'Very Young Team'.

Considering 4 of the starters are later twenties and you have Severin, I just wonder what constitutes a Very Young Team now? I would say Hearts starting 11 would not have a much high (if any) average age than DUFC. But I wouldn't call us a very young team.

Or has it just become a stock excuse now for failure?

in United's defence they lost a lot of their good players nad didn't replace them. I think this season will be worse for them than last year.

Pernis, Watson, Dixon, Kenneth, Dillon; Russell, Flood, Severin, Rankin; Goodwillie, Daly. Total guesswork at formation but that doesn't look that young a team. Even the ones who are young won the cup with them and have plenty experience.

Nookie Bear

Just reading a report of Dundee utd's euro defeat and Houston is proud of his 'Very Young Team'.

Considering 4 of the starters are later twenties and you have Severin, I just wonder what constitutes a Very Young Team now? I would say Hearts starting 11 would not have a much high (if any) average age than DUFC. But I wouldn't call us a very young team.

Or has it just become a stock excuse now for failure?

For some teams, their sole reason for existing is to field a young team of home-grown players, with no significant plan to do anything more than finish top and maybe have a sniff of Europe.

Pernis, Watson, Dixon, Kenneth, Dillon; Russell, Flood, Severin, Rankin; Goodwillie, Daly. Total guesswork at formation but that doesn't look that young a team. Even the ones who are young won the cup with them and have plenty experience.

Average age: 23.2 based on Guardian squad stats. ( http://guardian.touch-line.com/?CTID=16&CPID=17&TEID=207&pStr=Squad_Stats&t=4 ) Garry Kenneth is only 24? :o

Who cares, it is a poor excuse managers use... If you look at there team last night they seemed to have a good mix or experience and youth. Fans only care about 1 thing, winning, and if that is done with a young or old team it doesnt matter. I think any 'young team' only needs 2 or 3 experienced players to talk the younger lads through a game.

And how many times have arsenal/hibs etc used a 'young team' as an excuse for years, its down to the manager to get the balance and if he hasnt got it right and has too many 'kids' running around that arnt ready then the manager isnt doing his job correctly.

Bert Le Clos

I always use Hibernian as the yardstick for a 'very young team'

I always use Hibernian as the yardstick for very shite team.

:verysmug:

FTH.

maroondoonhamer

But I wouldn't call us a very young team.

Thats because we're a big physical team full of lithuanians!!! Apparently.

Archived