Vladimir Romanov

sked21

Was having a think last night about all the stuff he had done and said since he arrived and realised their has been manyfacepalm, cringeworthy, genius, lolarific, terrible moments.

From the picture of the monkey as a journalist to hitting Bednar, to giving Pinilla dancing lessons to our new years message about goats in a field.

And of course Burely, Rix, Malofeev, mafia etc.

I am sure there are many more that I am missing. So what have been your favourite, worst, embarrassed, facepalm, genius Vlad moments?

Commander Harris

I quite liked winning that cup thing and finishing in our highest league position in 20 years.

Fort Vallance

Was having a think last night about all the stuff he had done and said since he arrived and realised their has been manyfacepalm, cringeworthy, genius, lolarific, terrible moments.

From the picture of the monkey as a journalist to hitting Bednar, to giving Pinilla dancing lessons to our new years message about goats in a field.

And of course Burely, Rix, Malofeev, mafia etc.

I am sure there are many more that I am missing. So what have been your favourite, worst, embarrassed, facepalm, genius Vlad moments?

I'm no apologist but:

Scottish Cup win

Champions League Qualifiers

Staying at Tynecastle

Backing the current manager with a budget.

Just off the top of my head.Not embarrassed in the slightest about those.

Creepy Lurker

How defensive are some people on here? :lol:

The OP isn't even critical and two people have already jumped down his throat. Jesus.

Radioactive Mince

I quite liked winning that cup thing and finishing in our highest league position in 20 years.

I enjoyed those events too. It was 'only' 14 years, though. Wonder if we'll finish as high in the next nine years...

Overall, Vladimir Romanov has been a bit of a roaster for HMFC it has to be said. He has bankrolled a fair amount of signings we otherwise wouldn't have seen. I think, though, that had he came in and cleared all debt immediately and stayed away from team selection/random appointments & firings etc that we would have a higher average achievement in the six full seasons so far. Whether we would've won a trophy or not is impossible to say.

In no way is this an attempt to get on the back of Vlad. I'm grateful for what he has achieved. Less grateful for other aspects. But it was more of a think about his less than conventional statements, issues etc that make Vlad who he is.

I know of some hibs fans who constantly (like they do) go on about spending 10m just to win a cup against a pub team that went bust.

Let me clarify:

2. We never spent that amount.
  3. It's not just 'a' cup.
  4. We punted you out of said cup on the way to winning it in glorious style, on live TV in front of the entire UK.
  5. You would sell your granny to get your hands on that cup.
  6. Your team would have crumbled at the penalty stage in the final, should you have got there. (lucky we saved you that embarrassment) :verysmug:

10m? I'd double it just to have that season all over again.

Put that in your figurative accountants pipe & ram it.

i liked the story about when he was coming back from the 0-0 game at inverness in '06 and got his driver to stop in the middle of nowhere so he could traipse off into the forest to meditate.

The thing that gets me about his time here is that we really could have achieved something. I'm not saying we'd have won the league, but had he stayed out of things in that first year, we certainly would have been in a better position to get through to the CL proper. We had a real chance of achieving that and what a springboard that would and could have been.

I honestly think with the money he has undoubtedly put into the club we should now be talking about a three horse race each season. Unfortunately his mis-management of the club has us nowhere near that.

All in all, I'm thankful for him as we had no other hope and he was truly our white knight. And we don't know how it's all going to end but I his time will be littered with "what ifs" for me.

Basically I think his heart's in the right place but he's just a bit radge!

I know of some hibs fans who constantly (like they do) go on about spending 10m just to win a cup against a pub team that went bust.

Let me clarify:

1. We never spent that amount.
  2. It's not just 'a' cup.
  3. We punted you out of said cup on the way to winning it in glorious style, on live TV in front of the entire UK.
  4. You would sell your granny to get your hands on that cup.
  5. Your team would have crumbled at the penalty stage in the final, should you have got there. (lucky we saved you that embarrassment) :verysmug:

Who the **** mentioned Hibs?????????? :blink:

Your infatuation with them is unbelievable at times...If they mean so little to you, try going a full day without posting something about them :whistling:

On topic, Romanov is a ***** and I believe if he'd kept his nose out of team affairs we could have done better in the league (Not saying we would have won it, but we'd have came freakin close) But, were stuck with him for now...I agree with him re the GFA though :thumbsup: The rest of the time I wish he'd shut the **** up and let the people that KNOW the game get on with things dry.gif

Creepy Lurker

...aaaaand there goes the opportunity for a lighthearted thread looking back at some of the more bizarre incidents of recent seasons.

Nice try, OP.

rossthejambo

I was going to get involved in this but I can sense a bun fight with Tynie B brewing so I'm just going to give it a miss.

Pity, this thread had some potential :(

For all that I have said against the mad Russian, I have to admit having a tear in my e'e at Murrayfield watching Barca against Hearts.

The worse point was shaking his (and Rodders) hand outside ER, not realising he'd just sacked (or was just about to sack) Burley.

A roller coaster ride of a time which I have much preferred to what would have happened under the Pieman if he remained.

I know of some hibs fans...

We would never have known that if you hadn't have told us. rolleyes.gif

Who the **** mentioned Hibs?????????? :blink:

Your infatuation with them is unbelievable at times...If they mean so little to you, try going a full day without posting something about them :whistling:

Says the guy who is infatuated with me posting stuff about hibs.

:vrface:

For all that I have said against the mad Russian, I have to admit having a tear in my e'e at Murrayfield watching Barca against Hearts.

The worse point was shaking his (and Rodders) hand outside ER, not realising he'd just sacked (or was just about to sack) Burley.

A roller coaster ride of a time which I have much preferred to what would have happened under the Pieman if he remained.

we played hibs at least a week after burley was sacked.

Radioactive Mince

Apologies - aye his many rants have been entertaining enough likes.

My favourite was the one about 'wunderkind' and the road to hell.

The People's Chimp

My main issues with Romanov are now, pretty much, in the past. I've moved on, we've moved on, but they were genuine and justified at the time.

Notwithstanding that, the treatment of Romanov, by the Scottish media/football fraternity, has been horrendous, and was quite evidently driven by xenophobia, even if it was unwitting. That is not to conflate the well deserved criticism over some of his wilder decisions/team selections with this xenophobic reaction against him, but when you look at what he has brought hearts, there are an awful lot of positives to weigh up against the negatives. These don't get the credit they deserve.

You can also see that he has in other ways tried to enter into society here, but was largely shunned. It's shameful, tbh.

Let me clarify:

2. We never spent that amount.
  3. It's not just 'a' cup.
  4. We punted you out of said cup on the way to winning it in glorious style, on live TV in front of the entire UK.
  5. You would sell your granny to get your hands on that cup.
  6. Your team would have crumbled at the penalty stage in the final, should you have got there. (lucky we saved you that embarrassment) :verysmug:

World mate.

In front of the entire world.

:verysmug:

I was going to get involved in this but I can sense a bun fight with Tynie B brewing so I'm just going to give it a miss.

Pity, this thread had some potential :(

:dramaqueen: Dry your eyes wee man, Just say what you want to say. Ignore the big boys....:cry: First Bun Launched :P

Says the guy who is infatuated with me posting stuff about hibs.

:vrface:

I'll not post about you if you can do the same about the Hobos. As I've said Infatuated...sad really!! :lol:

i liked the story about when he was coming back from the 0-0 game at inverness in '06 and got his driver to stop in the middle of nowhere so he could traipse off into the forest to meditate.

He actually stopped off on his way back from Inverness to go to some guys house to see if he could buy one of his sheep (I think). :lol: There is an interview with one of his former interpreter's on the net somewhere about it.

Or there may have been two different Inverness trips.

Another moment that has come to me was one of the tv programmes about him. He was standing in the middle of the Tynecastle pitch arms outstretched; a God-like figure. He also referred to us as 'football connoisseurs'. ;)

Vlad-Stupid

I love President Romanov. Wouldn't change a thing since he saved us from oblivion. Splendid :thumbsup:

rossthejambo

:dramaqueen: Dry your eyes wee man, Just say what you want to say. Ignore the big boys....:cry: First Bun Launched :P

Eyes perfectly dry thanks. Just pointing out your honking, all too predictable patter is all. :thumbsup:

On topic, Vlad saved us from potential oblivion and gave us the best season in my living memory. He may have had a season or 2 of genuine insanity but I'm happy with the way things have turned out.

He's a great man.

I'll not post about you if you can do the same about the Hobos. As I've said Infatuated...sad really!! :lol:

Its because I love them.

Fort Vallance

The OP isn't even critical and two people have already jumped down his throat. Jesus.

If you show me where I did that I'll gladly apologise. Jesus.

kissthebadge

Favourite moments of the Vlad years so far .......

- Vlad singing his "Jambos, oh Jambos" song at the end of the HMFC Glorious 05/06 DVD.

- Vlad's recent rant at Gary Mackay, very random albeit slightly harsh. Seem to come from nowhere but had to chuckle nonetheless.

- The entire 05/06 Season. The euphoria surrounding the club in the first couple of month through the absolute despair in the middle to the joyous gubbing of the wee team and lifting the cup a month later.

- ?9m for Craig Gordon

- 'That' January transfer window

- Nerijus Barasa

- Rudi Skacel

- Jim Jefferies

- Spending ?850,000 on Mirsad Beslija yet refusing to spend ?0.50 on new lightbulbs for the main stand exit stairs or gents bogs.

- Spending more money on buying a life-size cow than the wee team spent on wages in one year

- Buying a nuclear submarine

- Allegedly having Claudio Ranieri interview for the manager's position before telling him how much they were willing to pay him.

..that's all I can think of for now.

Commander Harris

if you mean me then yes people are very defensive on here if you read that as jumping down someone's throat thumbsup.gif simply answering the question with my favourite Mr Romanov moment - that and the frog poetry :)

Francis Albert

Sorry, I can't see any post jumping down anyone's throat. Except maybe yours.

Case in point, really.

I remember coming out of the Tynecastle Derby in spring 2005, The pieman had already done the deal with Cala homes, It was pissing with rain, We'd lost and the Hibs scum on Gorgie road were unbearable. That was about the worst I'd ever felt about Hearts the only chink of light was a rather farfetched rumour that an Eastern European businessman was about to step in and make everything alright.

He didn't make everything alright but as Mick Jagger once said sometimes, you might just find, you get what you need.

There's been plenty of bad bits but they have all been in the "Someday we'll look back and laugh" category. The 8 game losing streak, amidst a squad meltdown, in 2007-08 was probably the lowest ebb but in a strange masochistic way I even kind of enjoyed watching Hearts then.

I also think it's quite good that anybody who jumped on board during 2005-06 so quickly had an opportunity to earn their "I was there when we were shite" badge.

Creepy Lurker

You again? Wow, you really do have a bee in your bonnet today: I posted about two things earlier on and you posted snide replies to both. Have I ever even spoken to you before?

Bit weird.

Anyway, my opinion was that the first two replies to this thread (particularly the first) made the assumption that this was your common or garden 'Romanov's an eejit' thread, when my reading of the OP was more that the thread was an attempt at a sideways glance at Romanov's time at our club.

I see that you posted your two replies to me a while ago; maybe you'll have cheered up a bit now. Or maybe not.

we played hibs at least a week after burley was sacked.

Was his last game in charge not away to Celtic? Could be the OP getting the two mixed up.

Seem to remember his sacking being announced on the morning of the day that we played Dunfermline, with us playing Hibs a week later and a midweek home game against Killie in between.

Tommy Wiseau

This is the greatest moment of them all from the king of the great moment - and the finest individual to grace these lands since, well, probably ever tbh:

0,,10289~3011098,00.jpg

J Cheever Loophole

The thing that gets me about his time here is that we really could have achieved something. I'm not saying we'd have won the league, but had he stayed out of things in that first year, we certainly would have been in a better position to get through to the CL proper. We had a real chance of achieving that and what a springboard that would and could have been.

I honestly think with the money he has undoubtedly put into the club we should now be talking about a three horse race each season. Unfortunately his mis-management of the club has us nowhere near that.

All in all, I'm thankful for him as we had no other hope and he was truly our white knight. And we don't know how it's all going to end but I his time will be littered with "what ifs" for me.

Basically I think his heart's in the right place but he's just a bit radge!

This,but he's our radge and does fight for our corner, albeit, in an against the grain way sometimes(probably usually)

colinmaroon

Let me clarify:

1. We never spent that amount.
  2. It's not just 'a' cup.
  3. We punted you out of said cup on the way to winning it in glorious style, on live TV in front of the entire UK and the world.
  4. You would sell your granny to get your hands on that cup.
  5. Your team would have crumbled at the penalty stage in the final, should you have got there. (lucky we saved you that embarrassment) :verysmug:

Added that wee bit as two friends, one in Romania and the oher in North Carolina, both enjoyed the game

Bert Le Clos

Vlad's been a bit like Newton's Law during his time here. For nearly every good thing he's done there's been an opposite to follow.

Buying us out of the Pieman's hands was undoubtedly a massive plus, otherwise we'd have been playing at Murrayfield in front of 5,000.

Hiring Burley was an excellent appointment. Firing him was just as bad as hiring him was good.

He's brought us some outstanding players. But equally, he's brought in some honkers.

He's majorly invested in the team, probably too much in terms of wages paid, meaning we now have a sizeable debt. However, I also feel we are more secure with his financial backing than we would have been under many smaller shareholders, and he has made major steps in reducing the debt.

He's got us good money for players which we'd have sold for far less under the previous regime.

He's brought in a good manager who he seems prepared to back financially and give control of team selection and transfers. However, we had nearly 4 years of horrendous appointments and team selection interference.

He split the OF and won us the Scottish Cup, but like ianbaird'shair I really feel in that first season we could have gone on to win the league.

And his comments to the media about what is wrong with Scottish football. Unfortunately, in his slightly eccentric way, the way he makes his point have gotten us into bother with the SFA and made us look slightly silly in many other peoples' eyes.

It's certainly been a roller coaster, but I think we're better of with him than we would be without him. Delighted he appears to be letting a man who knows Scottish football do what he does best. Keep it up Great Leader :thumbsup:

Seem to remember his sacking being announced on the morning of the day that we played Dunfermline, with us playing Hibs a week later and a midweek home game against Killie in between.

That was it. I was on holiday in Sicily at the time and received the news by text from a friend while strolling through the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. Couldn't believe it.

In reply to the OP, my favourite Romanov moments have been when the football has been successful and when the club has seemed on an even keel. These two conditions have sometimes coincided, sometimes not. I've enjoyed watching some really good footballers, especially Skacel. The Cup win - and the whole Cup campaign - was, for me, utterly fantastic.

As to the madcap moments, I haven't enjoyed them at all - but then I have yet to find anything Romanov has said even vaguely funny, entertaining, intelligent or interesting. Sad, yes, and infuriating too. I'd much rather he kept his mouth shut on a permanent basis, to be honest. I suppose there's little chance of that, though.

I love President Romanov. Wouldn't change a thing since he saved us from oblivion. Splendid :thumbsup:

We are lucky to have him

That is all

shaun.lawson

Mr Romanov is a God amongst men. :thumbsup:

Apart from the times when he's a complete *****. :down:

Vlad's been a bit like Newton's Law during his time here. For nearly every good thing he's done there's been an opposite to follow.

Buying us out of the Pieman's hands was undoubtedly a massive plus, otherwise we'd have been playing at Murrayfield in front of 5,000.

Hiring Burley was an excellent appointment. Firing him was just as bad as hiring him was good.

He's brought us some outstanding players. But equally, he's brought in some honkers.

He's majorly invested in the team, probably too much in terms of wages paid, meaning we now have a sizeable debt. However, I also feel we are more secure with his financial backing than we would have been under many smaller shareholders, and he has made major steps in reducing the debt.

He's got us good money for players which we'd have sold for far less under the previous regime.

He's brought in a good manager who he seems prepared to back financially and give control of team selection and transfers. However, we had nearly 4 years of horrendous appointments and team selection interference.

He split the OF and won us the Scottish Cup, but like ianbaird'shair I really feel in that first season we could have gone on to win the league.

And his comments to the media about what is wrong with Scottish football. Unfortunately, in his slightly eccentric way, the way he makes his point have gotten us into bother with the SFA and made us look slightly silly in many other peoples' eyes.

It's certainly been a roller coaster, but I think we're better of with him than we would be without him. Delighted he appears to be letting a man who knows Scottish football do what he does best. Keep it up Great Leader :thumbsup:

my thoughts exactly, kudos for sneaking in a physics reference there too ;)

i'd go a bit further with two of your points as well:

When Pieman was about to sell up and hand us over to Murrayfield he answered the call. People may or may not like him now, but did anyone else put money where there mouth was and step up to the plate? No.

And the point about the financing is spot on. With his (independant) bank on the board from day one. We are on a lot better keel than most people realise. Case in point? Rangers. When the world woke up and realised it was bankrupt and the banks started calling in debts look what happened to them. Now think what would have happened to us with HBoS still in charge. I honestly, genuinely think we would've went to the wall. Rangers have survived by what appears to be (although not certain yet) the skin of their teeth. No way in hell could we have survived that, and I somehow doubt the milkman, the joiner/plumber or anyone else would've stood up and answered the call.

just my 2 penneth.

graeme

The Comedian

He is a character and it's more interesting to be bold than correct.

We were a laughing stock for a while but thats in the past.

He is a character and it's more interesting to be bold than correct.

We were a laughing stock for a while but thats in the past.

Let the spineless supporters worry about what others think. It wasn't THAT bad, blown out of proportion IMO.

Tommy Wiseau

Mr Romanov is a God amongst men. :thumbsup:

Apart from the times when he's a complete *****. :down:

One sentence of this is magnificent.

The other doesn't make any sense whatsoever. :cornette:

shaun.lawson

One sentence of this is magnificent.

The other doesn't make any sense whatsoever. :cornette:

Well - I hear yer man Gekko's been pretty worried about Vladimir lately, but feels things are back on track now. :thumbsup:

Come to think of it...

romanov-694937545.jpg

v

wallstreet460.jpg

Who'd win a fight between these two kings of the jungle? :unsure:

Tommy Wiseau

:lol:

Mr Gekko has been playing the markets, dripping out some duff info that the masses swallowed up.

Meanwhile Mr Gekko and Mr Romanov have made a cool :profit:

Archived