Darren Barr

Kiwidoug

Could Darren Barr prove to be the answer for any central defence worries? We fell to bits this time last year when Zally vanished and Wallace was injured. Insufficient cover.

Just hope Barr can recover his best form and reallly strengthen the squad.

Seems unlikely but I really hope so. We need a 3rd CH. Whether that's Eggy, Gowser or Darren, one of them needs to step up cos Webster and Zal won't play every game next season.

Still think Barr might get used at RB. Hammil may be used in midfield - he's suspended first two games anyway, so be interesting to see who plays RB in his absence and if they do well if and where Hammil slots in.

Remember Elvis wasn't fancied his first season. I see a bit of Elvis in Barr - he's a competitor. Hopefully he goes on to have the Hearts career Elvis did (maybe it could end better!).

Seems unlikely but I really hope so. We need a 3rd CH. Whether that's Eggy, Gowser or Darren, one of them needs to step up cos Webster and Zal won't play every game next season.

Still think Barr might get used at RB. Hammil may be used in midfield - he's suspended first two games anyway, so be interesting to see who plays RB in his absence and if they do well if and where Hammil slots in.

Remember Elvis wasn't fancied his first season. I see a bit of Elvis in Barr - he's a competitor. Hopefully he goes on to have the Hearts career Elvis did (maybe it could end better!).

I would have to agree with this bit

Maybe just because he looks a bit like elvis :huh: ? i haven't really seen him compete for much so far

I wonder if Daz could play the deep, holding m/f role that Karipidis made his own, protecting the back four and lying deep making passes?. Adrian did a good job there but only for 8 or 10 games, then fell away badly, I think Darren has a bit more fitba' about him than Adrian Pole and this would allow our more creative players like Mehdi and Temps to bomb forward. Blackie, Denis, Pum, Jason or Stevo could play the other central m/f. Been racking my (limited) brain to think about a "balanced" midfield and DB might just be the answer? I'm pretty sure there is a player in there, we just need to get his confidence levels up.

Barr was awful in the games I saw him in last season, especially away to Falkirk where he had a holocaust.

Barr was awful in the games I saw him in last season, especially away to Falkirk where he had a holocaust.

Barr and bouzid at falkirk combined to give the worst defensive display I have ever witnessed from hearts players. Ever.

Aye, I'll write him off over one injury ravaged season where he never settled.

Flogging's too good for 'im, IMO.

Hearts are too good for him. When he did play and wasn't injured he was often the worst player on the park.

the kings dad

Barr and bouzid at falkirk combined to give the worst defensive display I have ever witnessed from hearts players. Ever.

No Tall and Concalves had one game together as our central defense and that was the worst ever !!!

Have to say that I like players to play in their natural positions unlike JJ who seems to have this things about moving players around to fill in.

I know there are times when needs require that but why play someone out of position when you have a natural in the squad who can play in that position.

Anytime I remember seeing Barr play against us when he was at Falkirk he usually played at Centre Back and was proabably one of their best players causing us problems.

I think he would be worth trying alongside either Webster or Zaliukas now as one of them is bound to be out with either injury in Websters case and suspension in Zaliukas's.

I still think he can make it with us, i remember when we signed Pressley, he was awful, one game springs to mind... the semi-final in 98 against St Johnstone at Easter Rd when we got a 3-0 hammering, Pressley was shocking and didn't become the player he did until David Weir buggered off to Everton, hopefully with Bouzid away, he can get a chance to prove himself, if he takes that chance and doesn't cut it, then you can say he isn't good enough.

Bunny Munro

No Tall and Concalves had one game together as our central defense and that was the worst ever !!!

Did we not bring Berra off the bench with somthing like 5 mins to go? :vrface:

No wonder we called it the circus.

I wonder if Daz could play the deep, holding m/f role that Karipidis made his own, protecting the back four and lying deep making passes?. Adrian did a good job there but only for 8 or 10 games, then fell away badly, I think Darren has a bit more fitba' about him than Adrian Pole and this would allow our more creative players like Mehdi and Temps to bomb forward. Blackie, Denis, Pum, Jason or Stevo could play the other central m/f. Been racking my (limited) brain to think about a "balanced" midfield and DB might just be the answer? I'm pretty sure there is a player in there, we just need to get his confidence levels up.

I reckon one of his biggest problems is on the ball. Seems to panick in possession. Think he'd be a nightmare there. I think we need to basically get him defending manfully and not ask him to do much more. Even at Rb, all he has to do is run in straight lines and find his winger (a la Robbie). In midfield, you're surrounded and I don't think it'd suit him. I guess the football might come.

Have to say that I like players to play in their natural positions unlike JJ who seems to have this things about moving players around to fill in.

I know there are times when needs require that but why play someone out of position when you have a natural in the squad who can play in that position.

Anytime I remember seeing Barr play against us when he was at Falkirk he usually played at Centre Back and was proabably one of their best players causing us problems.

I think he would be worth trying alongside either Webster or Zaliukas now as one of them is bound to be out with either injury in Websters case and suspension in Zaliukas's.

Not sure I totally agree with the "out of position" thing. Players don't always have a "position". It isn't Champ Man. Managers see players every day in training and have to decide where they think their best position is based on what they see. Not sure that's been decided with Barr yet. The bench probably!

Does my nut in a bit when people talk about Eggy being played "out of position". Why is he out of position at RB or CH? Because he played CM when he first broke through?? Doesn't work like that for me. A players position is where he's playing. WHat I would say is it's better for a player to play a position for an extended period rather than be shifted around as Eggy has. But playing him at RB or wherever, if that's where he's to play, isn't "out of position".

Obvious exceptions: Temps playing centre half; Kyle jinkin doon the wing; Jose Quitongo in goals.

Anyway, just how I see things. I see what people are getting at with that chat, but i don't often agree.

My opinion is that a centre back pairing of Webster & Barr will prove to be the optimum selection out the various options that JJ may have. Zaliukas has serious concentration problems and I do not believe this can be cured on the training ground.

Craig Herbertson

My opinion is that a centre back pairing of Webster & Barr will prove to be the optimum selection out the various options that JJ may have. Zaliukas has serious concentration problems and I do not believe this can be cured on the training ground.

I can see this happening. Barr basically had a nightmare in his first appearances - nerves or lack of confidence. I think there's a very good player in there somewhere and he just needs time and a couple of decent games under his belt.

I'd like to think so, but I'm not sure he's got the self-confidence to step up to the plate. Webster and Zaliukas are brimming with self-confidence, but unfortunately as defenders are both totally useless. Good at blaming other players for their own mistakes though...

One thing I did like about Barr though is that he looks good bringing the ball out of defence and getting a pass away.

heartsfc_fan

Perhaps Webster and Barr would be a good combo at the back? After all, they've both learnt from you know who :unsure:

rossthejambo

I think we'll be needing to mass order some humble pie for some people on here by the end of the season because I think he's going to end up proving a hell of a lot of people on here wrong.

I'm more than willing to give him a chance rather than write him off because he had a few off games when he first arrived.

Charlie-Brown

Wasn't overly impressed by him at Falkirk, even less so at Hearts, willing to give him a chance but don't have any great expectations, has to up his game a LOT to justify any inclusion.

Hawick Jambo

I think he'll get his chance again this season and hopefully will take it.

There is a decent player in there

I wonder what pills people take when they wake up in the morning... Barr instead of Zali!?!? I know Zali can be a bombscare at times but Barr is one of the worse players to wear maroon in the last few seasons. He has no pace, no fight, no commitment. Even at tannadice for the last game of the season, he goes forward losed the ball and has no pace to get back. If he becomes part of our defence on a weekly basis we wont be pushing the old firm. And if he was the best Falkirk had to offer no wonder they went down!

And for the above, worst defensive display in a hearts top, what about (my spellings going to be well out here) kuraski away to hamilton when we got 3 players sent off.

I agree not much good being half decent for 89 minutes and then giving a goal away which is Zaliukas's want.

winston churchill

Bouzid and Adrian pole.

2nd half v motherwell.John sutton had a field day.

Jeremy Goss

I believe if given the chance Darren Barr will be a good player for us. He definitely has potential and now is the time to show it like he did with Falkirk.

Mr Brightside

I think Darren Barr will come good at Hearts.

If I remember rightly he was only paired with bouzid last season, never had a chance with either Zal or Webster.

He also played well at RB against motherwell away.

jambopompey

last season was a wake up for him, moving up a level from falkirk to hearts, he started off poorly, along with most at the start of last season and seemed to have suffered the most from it, we hit a purple patch and there was no way for him to try and get back into the team.

Been a few changes in the squad and this is where he shows if he has it or not to be a part of the Hearts team, not everyone settles in from the off, some take time, i also think JJ knew he suffered from low confidence when he was available in the later part of the season and rather than throw him in during our bad run keeps him out so he does not lower it even more.

Pete Seeger

One thing I did like about Barr though is that he looks good bringing the ball out of defence and getting a pass away.

He made Neilson look like Cafu with his distribution last season.

I'm hoping he's just taking a bit of time to adjust.

Could Darren Barr prove to be the answer for any central defence worries? We fell to bits this time last year when Zally vanished and Wallace was injured. Insufficient cover.

Just hope Barr can recover his best form and reallly strengthen the squad.

After tonight's performance think your question has been answered. The guy is p*sh not good enough for Hearts & IMO never will be

After tonight's performance think your question has been answered. The guy is p*sh not good enough for Hearts & IMO never will be

Didn't see tonight's game but I fear you may be right. Obviously willing to give the guyu a chance just like I am anyone in the maroon, but I just don't see anything about him.

Like I said earlier, at Falkirk he was a competitor - a fighter. If he can find this within him, aggression and will to win can make up for lots of deficiancies. He's looked shellshocked and tame at best in a Hearts jersey though. He's also like a rabbit in the headlights with the ball at his feet.

Not looking good for him.

Thing is, I don't blame us for signing him - thought he looked the type who could improve at a bigger club. Type of signing that's served us well in the past. Whoever alerted VR to him got it wrong by the looks of things.

I wonder what pills people take when they wake up in the morning... Barr instead of Zali!?!? I know Zali can be a bombscare at times but Barr is one of the worse players to wear maroon in the last few seasons. He has no pace, no fight, no commitment. Even at tannadice for the last game of the season, he goes forward losed the ball and has no pace to get back. If he becomes part of our defence on a weekly basis we wont be pushing the old firm. And if he was the best Falkirk had to offer no wonder they went down!

And for the above, worst defensive display in a hearts top, what about (my spellings going to be well out here) kuraski away to hamilton when we got 3 players sent off.

Stop beating about the bush.

You don't think much of him, do you?

Archived