Jankauskas

Dunk-Section G

Dunk-Section G

Have been reading a few posts recently who list the big man as one of our best strikers in recent times.

I know the guy was a top notch player in his time (Champions League and all that) but I dont remember him consistently being a top performer during his spell here.

My enduring memory is the heavy defeat to Dundee Utd at Tynecastle when he mouthed off to the crowd in retaliation to the abuse he was getting.

Have been reading a few posts recently who list the big man as one of our best strikers in recent times.

I know the guy was a top notch player in his time (Champions League and all that) but I dont remember him consistently being a top performer during his spell here.

My enduring memory is the heavy defeat to Dundee Utd at Tynecastle when he mouthed off to the crowd in retaliation to the abuse he was getting.

very talented prick

Greatest memory of him was when he took the ball round Zibby to score Hearts 3rd in the 4-0 drubbing of Hibs in the semi.

at his best he was a tremendous player for us, and great to watch. great touch and ball control.

at his worst he was disinterested. but he's not the only player we've had during that time who ended up losing interest.

behind skacel, janny is probably my next favourite player of the romanov years.

Probably the best first touch I've ever seen on a Hearts player.

Yeah, his heart wasn't in it all the time, but it was clear he was a fantastic player. His strength and reading of the game were just brilliant. If he gave his all in every game we'd be calling him a legend.

He was also cool as **** :thumbsup:

Fort Vallance

at his best he was a tremendous player for us, and great to watch. great touch and ball control.

at his worst he was disinterested. but he's not the only player we've had during that time who ended up losing interest.

behind skacel, janny is probably my next favourite player of the romanov years.

Really ? No Takis ?

Really ? No Takis ?

takis was a legend and a lovely guy as well but there was something about jankauskas which just screamed 'awesome'. as neave said, he was as cool as the other side of the pillow.

He was fantastic in his first season.

Disinterested and often injured in the second.

Captain Scarlett

He didn't have too many great games but he could be great if he put the effort in.Sadly his interest seemed to wane and you just knew his heart wasn't really in it.

The Old Tolbooth

First season brilliant for us, second season he only appeared to get fit just before Lithuania had a game :whistling:

fabienleclerq

His best game was against rangers,think we won 1-0 at tynie and they couldnt get the ball off him.

His name is

His best game was against rangers,think we won 1-0 at tynie and they couldnt get the ball off him.

correct, i was steamin that day, went to meet my mates that night and claimed that janni was the best palyer that th spl had ever seen, still get slagged to this dya haha. he was great that day tho

I loved his first league goal for us - turned on a sixpence and rattled it in against Motherwell.

And his screamer against Kilmarnock in October was fantastic.

But the "Zibby goal" in the Cup Semi was just the icing on the cake.

plastic_bas

His goal against Motherwell in his first season will have to go down as the best strike i've ever seen at tynie. If someone can find a video of it I'd be eternally grateful.

Was a fantastic player. Shame we couldn't keep him interested for longer than we did.

Snake Plissken

Greatest memory of him was when he took the ball round Zibby to score Hearts 3rd in the 4-0 drubbing of Hibs in the semi.

I remember the delightful ball he played in to Hartley for the first of that great day, perfect amount of pace and all Paul had to was redirect it, which he did with aplomb.

One of our best players in 2005/06.

Frequently injured and disinterested in 2006/07 - like much of the squad sadly.

Snake Plissken

His goal against Motherwell in his first season will have to go down as the best strike i've ever seen at tynie. If someone can find a video of it I'd be eternally grateful.

Was a fantastic player. Shame we couldn't keep him interested for longer than we did.

There was a video compilation of a lot of the goals on youtube from that season, including that one, but it appears to have been taken down.

Definitely an "ON HIS DAY he can take anyone" type of player. Sadly those days were so few and far between that I couldn't warm to him as a player. Pointless having the talent to win games on your own but chucking in the towel when a shitey Scottish ref gave a foul or two against you in the first 10mins. There, I've offered an excuse of sorts to all the Jankers out there!

FTR Thomas Flogel had the best first touch of anyone I've seen at Tynecastle (including opponents). Any height, any angle, Tam would kill it.

:whistling: Oh, Tommy Tommy Flogel, oh Tommy Tommy Flogel... :whistling:

Hearts.tv have highlights of all the games that season unfortunately they are not for download.

I'm sure a flash browser plugin could probably get past that though :)

Marty McFly

it was Michael Stewart that mouthed off to the crowd at the heavy defeat to dundee united, and Janny was already away by then :teehee:

Bert Le Clos

The most naturally gifted footballer I've ever seen at Hearts. In his first season he was outstanding, the win over Rangers at Tynecastle was one of the best performances I've ever seen from a Hearts player.

2nd season he was injury prone and disinterested. Although it's hard to blame all that on him. Their was zero leadership at the club and the dressing room was split. He was never going to be the type of player to knuckle down in that situation and no doubt felt he didn't need to be at a club which was as much of a shambles as ours at that time.

Walter Bishop

Was it not the 1-1 game when he scored? And Super Robbie hit the bar from 30 yards?

boy_in_maroon

Most obviously we will all remember him for going round zibbi for the 3rd goal that glorious day.

As other posters have stated. His first touch was second to none. Could control the ball dead with any part of his body. Him and Bednar (until injury in the mentioned Rangers game.) We're a lethal strike force.

A memory I always have of him is (for reasons of losing to them!). I still blame him for a 0-2 defeat at E.R. Game was destined for 0-0. Couldnt have been anymore than 15 minutes to go when stupidly he pushed Beuzelin to the ground. Already knowing he was on a yellow card. The game changed when he walked.

Like a few other players who pulled on the famous maroon that season. Takis, Skacel, Bednar.... etc. It was a real pleasure to watch these guys play. For them to sign for a club our size says alot too.

Snake Plissken

Was it not the 1-1 game when he scored? And Super Robbie hit the bar from 30 yards?

He's talking, rightly, about the 1-0 win in September 2005.

Bednar scored but Jankauskas was the man of the match.

A master-class in holding the ball up and bringing others into the game from Jankauskas, he was magnificent that day.

Dunk-Section G

A master-class in holding the ball up and bringing others into the game from Jankauskas, he was magnificent that day.

Was that not the 8-in-a-row game?

I have a panoramic print from the McLeod Stand for that game.

Most obviously we will all remember him for going round zibbi for the 3rd goal that glorious day.

As other posters have stated. His first touch was second to none. Could control the ball dead with any part of his body. Him and Bednar (until injury in the mentioned Rangers game.) We're a lethal strike force.

A memory I always have of him is (for reasons of losing to them!). I still blame him for a 0-2 defeat at E.R. Game was destined for 0-0. Couldnt have been anymore than 15 minutes to go when stupidly he pushed Beuzelin to the ground. Already knowing he was on a yellow card. The game changed when he walked.

Like a few other players who pulled on the famous maroon that season. Takis, Skacel, Bednar.... etc. It was a real pleasure to watch these guys play. For them to sign for a club our size says alot too.

I don't.

That day still sticks in my throat because of that clown of a Hibs supporting ref who booked any Hearts player who went near a green shirt.

We were getting players booked all over the place for inocuous challenges while they got away with murder. We ended up playing on the back foot because of it, and I firmly believe that our commitment, and the final result that day, would have been much different if they never had their 12th man in black.

As for the incident that led to the 2nd booking, Brown had steamed in on Janny bringing him down. As they both got up Janny pushed Brown off who in turn overplayed the whole thing Diouf style, giving that cheating dick in black just the opportunity he was looking for to send a Hearts player off.

Some may argue that he should have kept his hands down, or that such an experienced player should know better. Well maybe he should, but personlly,.........I think we were always destined to end up with 10 men that day. It just happened to be Janny.

If I recall we must have had about 8 yellows that day. I don't think they got any, or perhaps one after Janny went off ??

Now in a rip roaring derby match keenly contested by two teams and reffed fairly and properly, you would expect something a bit more comparable.

I have to agree with this. Only performance by a ref that was worse was the Schalke game!

I don't.

That day still sticks in my throat because of that clown of a Hibs supporting ref who booked any Hearts player who went near a green shirt.

We were getting players booked all over the place for inocuous challenges while they got away with murder. We ended up playing on the back foot because of it, and I firmly believe that our commitment, and the final result that day, would have been much different if they never had their 12th man in black.

As for the incident that led to the 2nd booking, Brown had steamed in on Janny bringing him down. As they both got up Janny pushed Brown off who in turn overplayed the whole thing Diouf style, giving that cheating dick in black just the opportunity he was looking for to send a Hearts player off.

Some may argue that he should have kept his hands down, or that such an experienced player should know better. Well maybe he should, but personlly,.........I think we were always destined to end up with 10 men that day. It just happened to be Janny.

If I recall we must have had about 8 yellows that day. I don't think they got any, or perhaps one after Janny went off ??

Now in a rip roaring derby match keenly contested by two teams and reffed fairly and properly, you would expect something a bit more comparable.

Scott Brown stepped (intentionally) on Jankauskas' foot.

referree did not punish Scott Brown for it.

Jankauskas should've know better but the ref that day was terrible.

Snake Plissken

Was that not the 8-in-a-row game?

I have a panoramic print from the McLeod Stand for that game.

The very one.

One of my all-time favourite matches following Hearts (taking away cup/derby wins).

Fauldhouse Jambo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIG8ndXmet4&feature=related

About 1:30 in :)

Dunk-Section G

I don't.

I am exactly the same. Brown never got booked for the challenge either. It was Underhill who was the ref IIRC.

Walter Bishop

I personally thought he was even better in the 1-1 game when he scored. Great player, best technically i have seen in a Hearts jersey.

I am exactly the same. Brown never got booked for the challenge either. It was Underhill who was the ref IIRC.

Brown got booked for the challenge. And Jankauskas was already on a booking, so his red card was inevitable.

Underhill was poor that day though.

Brown got booked for the challenge. And Jankauskas was already on a booking, so his red card was inevitable.

Underhill was poor that day though.

I take that back, he wasn't booked. I thought he had been at the game.

Fine player. Sandy Clark was still my favourite target man of all time for Hearts(going by what i`ve watched) until Jankauskas arrived.

People bring him down for his 2nd season but forget he was niggled by injury on and off. But of course, we had the pantomime that year too which affected all.

I don't.

I think the worst foul that day was an absolute rake down the back of Paul Hartley's leg by Michael Stewart who was in one of his wound up moods. Ref did not even book him but it was a clear straight red.

As for Jankauskas he had incredible technical ability, a bit of arrogance and great experience. One of my favourite goals by him was the one against Kilmarnock where Rudi played an absolutely beautiful curving crossfield pass and Jankauskas knocked it in. A great team goal.

I like the homage paid to takis earlier in this thread. Is there any long-standing thread where I could go to show what that man meant to me?

Fantastic player on his day. He held the ball up as well as any player i've seen in the maroon jersey. 2nd season he had a few injuries, but still flashes. Great times!! The difference a quality target man makes..... Kyle proved that last season (however not as good a player/team).

Archived