Stephen Elliott

JamTarts1874

JamTarts1874

Just been browsing through the thread on Kevin Kyle and thought I'd start one on one of our other strikers, hard-working and knows how to hit the target, really glad we signed him when we did and think he will work well with Kyle and Sutton this season. Really happy so far with our forward line for the coming season and cannot wait to see the guy in action.

Dunno if I like the Frodo hair-style though :whistling:

stephen-elliott-image-2-838659809.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed a few people on here questioning his finishing ability and whilst I concede he's not Gerd Muller he's a hell of a lot better than some of the dross we have had over the last wee while. I like him, he's busy and appears to have a knack of being in the right place in the box when it matters (as his goals against the flumps will testify). It looks to me like he likes being here and your right, he should link up well with Sutton AND Kyle.

BTW shows how old I'm getting but looking at the photo on the OP, that never seems a year ago we signed him. Seems like last week!!!!!

Just been browsing through the thread on Kevin Kyle and thought I'd start one on one of our other strikers, hard-working and knows how to hit the target, really glad we signed him when we did and think he will work well with Kyle and Sutton this season. Really happy so far with our forward line for the coming season and cannot wait to see the guy in action.

Dunno if I like the Frodo hair-style though :whistling:

stephen-elliott-image-2-838659809.jpg

Still not convinced.

Bert Le Clos

Still not convinced.

As has already been said, he's a striker who worked for basically the whole of last season without a proper partner. He's hardly your "one up top" type of player.

We didn't create a huge number of chances last season, but he looks like a decent finisher and I think he'll do well with Sutton or Kyle.

I think Elliott is top quality with a work ethic to put some of our squad to shame.

Charlie-Brown

Where would he be in the top 20 Hearts strikers of the last 30 years ie 1980's to the present?

I'd say the following were all better than him

Robbo, Colquhoun, Crabbe, Clark, Bone, A.Johnston, Adam, Hamilton, McCann, McSwegan, DeVries, Kirk, Jankauskas, Bednar, Pospisil, Velicka ..... I'd say Elliott probably ranks somewhere between 15th-20th alongside the likes of Gary Wales & Derek O'Connor imo.

Where would he be in the top 20 Hearts strikers of the last 30 years ie 1980's to the present?

Robbo, Colquhoun, Crabbe, Clark, Bone, A.Johnston, Adam, Hamilton, McCann, McSwegan, DeVries, Kirk, Jankauskas, Bednar, Pospisil, Velicka ..... I'd say Elliott probably ranks somewhere between 15th-20th alongside the likes of Gary Wales & Derek O'Connor imo.

this

rossthejambo

Away ye go Charlie, he might not have scored as many goals as we might have liked but his work rate and positional sense is up there with the best. All he needs is a bit more service and more time playing as part of a front 2 rather than a winger and he'll start banging the goals in.

To rate him below Pospisil and Velicka (IMO) is ridiculous.

And btw, A Johnston and McCann were not strikers, they were wingers.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Get out :laugh:

Some of them aren't even forwards! Gary Wales ffs..

Nonsense.

super_vlad

Don't think we have seen him in his ideal position as even with klye in the team, Elliott was playing on the right hand side rather then stairght thru the middle too often. Disagree with players like pospisil and velicka being better players, plenty of goals from Elliott next season I think

Charlie-Brown

Away ye go Charlie, he might not have scored as many goals as we might have liked but his work rate and positional sense is up there with the best. All he needs is a bit more service and more time playing as part of a front 2 rather than a winger and he'll start banging the goals in.

Johnston & McCann both played through the middle at times and were better players and more effective and dangerous than Elliott who is at best average in my opinion.

Velicka & McSwegan weren't great players but their goal tallies and strike rate far superior to Elliotts.

Stephen Elliott would be quite far down the list of Hearts forwards that i've seen in the modern era.

Hope this clarifies matters. :)

Dunk-Section G

Big fan of him, but I hope (and think) there is a lot more to come.

Once he has Sutton/Kyle playing alongside him reguarly then we should really be scoring loads more goals.

Bert Le Clos

So after his first season, coming back from serious injuries, playing on his own up front, or with a make-shift striker (Stevenson) or a make-shift footballer (Obua) you've written him off?!Ridiculous.

By the way, Bednar scored 11 league goals in 40 games for Hearts. Elliott scored 8 in 30, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility to think he may end up scoring more goals than one of your top 20 is less games, in arguably a worse team too.

And another thing, we've had some cracking strikers over the years. He could be behind 10 strikers and still be a top quality player for us. Give the man a chance!

So after his first season, coming back from serious injuries, playing on his own up front, or with a make-shift striker (Stevenson) or a make-shift footballer (Obua) you've written him off?!Ridiculous.

By the way, Bednar scored 11 league goals in 40 games for Hearts. Elliott scored 8 in 30, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility to think he may end up scoring more goals than one of your top 20 is less games, in arguably a worse team too.

And another thing, we've had some cracking strikers over the years. He could be behind 10 strikers and still be a top quality player for us. Give the man a chance!

:huh: arguably?

rossthejambo

Johnston & McCann both played through the middle at times and were better players and more effective and dangerous than Elliott who is at best average in my opinion.

Velicka & McSwegan weren't great players but their goal tallies and strike rate far superior to Elliotts.

Stephen Elliott would be quite far down the list of Hearts forwards that i've seen in the modern era.

Hope this clarifies matters. :)

They weren't strikers though Charlie, Bouzid and Mrowiec were played up front a couple of times but we're not going to start adding them to a list of Hearts all time best strikers of the last 10 years FFS.

Elliott gives more to the team than just goals, like I said, if he gets played consistently with a striker partner like Kyle or Sutton instead of being out on the wing he'll get more goals.

Charlie-Brown

I wasn't a huge fan of Bednar, very talented when he was up for it but questionable attitude & fitness issues - still a much better player than two tees though who is okay but lets not pretend he's anything special because he's not.

I think Elliott is top quality with a work ethic to put some of our squad to shame.

If work ethic is the yardstick for a striker then Calum Elliot would be a better striker. SE did not convince me, either as a lone striker or when Kyle played with him. I would love to be convinced this season.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I wasn't a huge fan of Bednar, very talented when he was up for it but questionable attitude & fitness issues - still a much better player than two tees though who is okay but lets not pretend he's anything special because he's not.

Best forward we've had in years. Jankauskas was better than Elliott. Other than that we've not really had a forward that's as good technically or as hard working as Steve is.

SanliHearts

Said it before, think he will be our top scorer next season.

innerjambo

Give him another season CB, I think he will benefit from his experience last season in the SPL.

I'm expecting at least 15 goals from him this time round! :thumbsup:

I'm one who is also not yet convinced.

I like Elliott and I love his work-rate but i'm still yet to be convinced he will score/ create lots for us.

Some of his finishing has been great (Hibs in particular) but he has not done it as consistently as I would like.

That being said, he has spent most of last year at left or right wing. A spell up front with Kyle/Sutton could change that.

Cut The Crap

Good one! :lol:

You are joking, right? :unsure:

Nookie Bear

If work ethic is the yardstick for a striker then Calum Elliot would be a better striker. SE did not convince me, either as a lone striker or when Kyle played with him. I would love to be convinced this season.

Calum Elliot? Work ethic? His head dropped every game and his attitude stank.

It's because of watching wasters like Clum that players such as Stephen Elliott are appreciated by us.

Charlie-Brown

Good one! :lol:

You are joking, right? :unsure:

Nope - I'll even move S.Elliott down one place as I've just remembered that Lee Miller was also a far better striker than him during his time at Hearts.

absolute havers.

Nookie Bear

To be fair to you C-B, you've thrown out 20 names off the top of your head and it's up to anyone else to do the same.

On the basis of one season, I would say your assessment is not far off (i'll overlook the Gary Wales inclusion though) but I think he will be a lot further up your list this time next year.

rossthejambo

Calum Elliot? :huh:

In a nutshell.

Along side Gary Wales.... lol

On a serious note, I think he will do even better this season. Quality player.

Gordon Ramsay

Elliott's quality. Possibly my favourite moment of the season was when he banged in that equaliser at Easter Road. Great signing.

rudi must stay

if he stays, Rudi will be our top scorer next season

what if he doesn't? Joint top?

jamboinglasgow

Some facts, Elliott scored more goals last season then Temps. He is our top league scoring striker, and if you remove Kyle's penalty he is clearly our top scoring striker.

I'm still in the meh camp when it comes to Elliott.

Whilst I think Charlie is being overly harsh on Elliott, I do think he gets talked up too much on here.

I think he's decent, but certainly not worthy of the rave reviews some give him.

That said, he's been asked to play a role which really doesn't suit him.

I like two T's. His workrate is excellent and i'm expecting big things from him next season. He scored some important goals for us last season. Think some people are being incredibly harsh on him because he's not a player to play up top on his own, and when he was he was getting no service anyway.

JamTarts1874

Elliott's quality. Possibly my favourite moment of the season was when he banged in that equaliser at Easter Road. Great signing.

This :thumbsup:

Snake Plissken

Needs more goals.

I get that he played up top unsupported or out of position for long periods of the season but he needs to be hitting double figures this season and I think he'll probably manage to do that.

Whilst I think Charlie is being overly harsh on Elliott, I do think he gets talked up too much on here.

I think he's decent, but certainly not worthy of the rave reviews some give him.

I agree with that Merse.

I think his benchmark is Andy Kirk.

Wonder how Charlie would reckon Kirk would have got on if played wide right fo a huge chunk of the season>

Sierra Delta

Stephen Elliott's probably one of my favourite players in the current squad.

Really hope he plays as a striker with Sutton or Kyle alongside him and he'll bang in the goals IMO. Was put out on the right wing for most of last season and despite not being his natural position he just got on with it with an incredible workrate.

Sleeves up!

rudi must stay

He's the same as what the Preston fans said. He works hard, but he probably misses too many chances to play at a really top club.

maroonshrew

We are judging him against the strikers of the last 20 years but he barely played up front last year!! To say he is worse than Pospisil or Gary Wales is ridiculous.

maroonshrew

Where is this myth that he played last season either as Kyles strike partner or as a lone striker. He spent nearly all season out wide right.

Cut The Crap

Where is this myth that he played last season either as Kyles strike partner or as a lone striker. He spent nearly all season out wide right.

Or wide left. But essentially correct.

Some supporters' eyes are clearly painted on. Either that or they only see what they want to see. Or maybe just can't process what they're seeing at all.

Great player

Those who dont like him are arseholes

This. Stephen Elliott is quality. Reads the game better than any of our other fowards. Works his arse off as well. Top lad we're lucky to have him.

0,,10289~9127876,00.jpg

_51982760_elliott282.jpg

LAD! :thumbsup:

I think playing 442 brings out the best in Elliott; he's not really got the physique to play the lone strikers role (although he made a good fist of it playing there when Kyle was out, against Killie away etc.) he's not a natural wide man. Hopefully he gets a bit of game time upfront with Kyle or Sutton, and I'm sure the goals were start flowing. For me he's up there with the best in the league. As has already been mentioned we're very lucky to have him :omg!:

Hopefully he'll get a run with a partner up top.

Didn't get as many goals last season as I'm sure he'd have liked, but for a 1st season in Scotland, 8 goals isn't a bad tally. You have to remember he didn't get his first start until the 2-0 win at Easter Road in November.

I think he offers a lot to the side and think he's our 1st choice forward, as Sutton and Kyle won't both play at the same time.

The People's Chimp

Charlie can be a right slaver at times, but this is ridiculous. McSwegan and Kirk better than Elliott?

Archived