Arvydas Novikovas

pinehurst jambo

pinehurst jambo

Looks like the lad has started pre season well and netted a couple of goals as well. We all know he has ability and produced that magical cross for KK's goal against the wee team. Would love to see him get a run in the team this season and build some consistency. :thumbsup:

Looks like the lad has started pre season well and netted a couple of goals as well. We all know he has ability and produced that magical cross for KK's goal against the wee team. Would love to see him get a run in the team this season and build some consistency. :thumbsup:

Most talented player at the club. Needs a bit of grit and enthusiasm. If he can find it, we've got a star on our hands.

Ecce Romanov

That run/cross (and of course the goal) will live long in the memory! Derserves a chance, but would be behind a fit Driver & Temps. Perhaps a 2nd half sub/impact player is the most he can expect this year

rossthejambo

That run/cross (and of course the goal) will live long in the memory! Derserves a chance, but would be behind a fit Driver & Temps. Perhaps a 2nd half sub/impact player is the most he can expect this year

I'd probably agree, but I think (purely a gut feeling) that we might actually play 2 wingers (rather than 1 winger plus Elliott) this season which will open the door for him.

Still big question marks over Driver's fitness so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him play more often.

If he plays like he did when he came on against hibs, aberdeen then I would be tempted to sell driver for a good price and play novi and temps.

Cut The Crap

I'd probably agree, but I think (purely a gut feeling) that we might actually play 2 wingers (rather than 1 winger plus Elliott) this season which will open the door for him.

Still big question marks over Driver's fitness so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him play more often.

I hope we don't go back to two wingers. The two-winger formation favoured by Romanov in the 06-08 years delivered up some of the softest-centred Hearts teams I've ever seen.

As for Novikovas, I'm not too hopeful of him making the step up, based on what I've seen. How do you coach bravery?

What woud you guys say to another loan spell or do you not think that would work out?

I hope the guy kicks on and shows what he can do.

My worry is that he never exactly set the heather alight at st Johnstone on loan so I am not going to look too much into a couple of friendlys against poor opposition.

Maybe he has found his level.

I hope we don't go back to two wingers. The two-winger formation favoured by Romanov in the 06-08 years delivered up some of the softest-centred Hearts teams I've ever seen.

As for Novikovas, I'm not too hopeful of him making the step up, based on what I've seen. How do you coach bravery?

I'm not sure it is bravery that he lacks but the issue is more about power and strength.

When he has had bad games for us he has kept on looking for the ball which suggests he is brave enough.

+ Great ablity.

- Heart the size of a hermeseta!

if he can man up, he can be a player!

I hope the guy kicks on and shows what he can fo.

My worry is that he never exactly set the heather alight at st Johnstone on loan so I am not going to look too much into a couple of friendlys against poor opposition.

the f-do

mahgrassyshoes

If he plays like he did when he came on against hibs, aberdeen then I would be tempted to sell driver for a good price and play novi and temps.

Who would buy Driver for a decent price just now. He would have to get into the team within a month of the season starting and then be firing on all cylinders by the start of december to have any chance of us punting him for a decent fee in January. It's quite unlikely.

I think the 2 wingers can work well for us with one up front ie the way we played in the second half against East Fife. 2 wingers with 4 across the middle is really possible anymore.

I hope the guy kicks on and shows what he can fo.

Was he not injured for most of his time at St Johnstone. His head may go down a bit easy just now, but that will improve with experience. Whatever happens his level is already well above division 2!

Hope your right, we will need to wait and see I suppose but tbh with a fully fit squad and if Flynn were to sign I would have novi as 4th choice.

Cut The Crap

I'm not sure it is bravery that he lacks but the issue is more about power and strength.

When he has had bad games for us he has kept on looking for the ball which suggests he is brave enough.

To me, he doesn't look willing to put his body on the line in the way that other similarly diminutive wide men do and have done in the past (I'm thinking especially of John Colquhoun and Neil McCann, but even Templeton has shown signs of being willing to take the hits when required).

rossthejambo

Hope your right, we will need to wait and see I suppose but tbh with a fully fit squad and if Flynn were to sign I would have novi as 4th choice.

Flynn's not a winger though, he can play there but fairly certain he's more a central midfielder (Rudi position or maybe a bit deeper) who can fit in as a winger if needed.

(I should have this post saved somewhere to save me typing it so often :rolleyes: ).

japanjambo

Don't think he'll ever be a first choice regular. Impact player off the bench is probably the best job for him.

:ninja:

Boab Mugabe

He has the talent to play at the highest level. If he can develop a mental toughness and keep fit we will have a big money player on our hands.

Cut The Crap

I think the 2 wingers can work well for us with one up front ie the way we played in the second half against East Fife. 2 wingers with 4 across the middle is really possible anymore.

Yep, I think we'll play the same formation as last season but I'll be surprised if the second "winger" is anyone other than Stephen Elliott.

Charlie-Brown

Stephen Elliot is hard working but not much better than average imo - just as likely to waste a chance as score it form what i've seen.

Flynn's not a winger though, he can play there but fairly certain he's more a central midfielder (Rudi position or maybe a bit deeper) who can fit in as a winger if needed.

(I should have this post saved somewhere to save me typing it so often :rolleyes: ).Well if your correct he's 3rd choice then.

Stephen Elliot is hard working but not much better than average imo - just as likely to waste a chance as score it form what i've seen.

He will feature regularly I think and is very useful in the spoiling role he plays.

I'm hoping for more goalscoring from him next season, particularly against the better clubs as he was a bit of a flat track bully last year.

Cut The Crap

He will feature regularly I think and is very useful in the spoiling role he plays.

I'm hoping for more goalscoring from him next season, particularly against the better clubs as he was a bit of a flat track bully last year.

Tremendous work-rate and attitude and looks like one of the few players we have who is capable of drifting into space inside the penalty area. Needs to convert more of his opportunities though, I agree.

To be honest, the term "flat track bully" could refer to the team as a whole last year. And look where it got us.

Felt for him a bit last year. He didn't get much of a chance to play up top with KK, which I would assume would be his pref (or Sutton this year). He often played out wide or when up front, he was on his own which i don't think is his game (I got frustrated at him a number of times for the ball coming back off him, but back-to-goal isn't his bag).

I think we all agree though that whatever he was asked to do, he worked his knackers off to do it and that's a great thing. His and Stevo's workrate were one of the few positives of the 2nd half of last season.

I think if he plays up front as part of a 2, he'll get us goals. Let's not forget he scored 2 big goals against the Hoobs last season - both real poachers efforts.

Not sure we'll play with a 2 is the only thing. 433ish is more likely. Maybe go 2 up on occasion and he'll beone of them I guees.

As for Novikovas: You coach bravery and natural talent by nurturing them, that's what a good coach accepts as a challenge.

Wingers are a must-have in midfield in the modern era, as long as they can penetrate and have pace.

They give width to attack, they test full backs and draw central defnders wide.

We now have the best potential of able scoring forwards in a long time, but they will need to be given supply.

When is Weir coming onboard?

Since seeing Arvy a couple of seasons back in the the youngsters, I thought he was the pick of the bunch.

He has the potential to be a real superstar. He is everything that Copil and Kostadinov were not. He keeps looking for the ball, has great skill, can glide past players, can score and can cross.

Snake Plissken

I don't want to be that poster but lets remember who he's scored against:

Barga and East Fife

He shows flashes of ability and I hope he can kick on this season but I'm not sure close to the team he'll be when everyone is fit and available. Good that he's started pre season well but he's got a long way to go before he's a regular starter.

BobbyJenkins

Bravery?

ROMANOV FAN CLUB

I thought it was a bad decision from Jim to send him to St Johnstone on loan last season as he would have been better staying for 20 minutes with us

But hopefully going to Saints has gave him the desire not to return to clubs like that and make a name for himself

Could we not play Novi and Temps together and get them to swap over sides, as Jim has said Novi can play both sides and Suso is out

Then you mustn't have seen much of him, your opinions re stephen elliott are laugable.

Most talented player at the club. Needs a bit of grit and enthusiasm. If he can find it, we've got a star on our hands.

What a load of nonsense! the most talented player at the club, calm down for God's sake man.

Charlie-Brown

Then you mustn't have seen much of him, your opinions re stephen elliott are laugable.

doesn't have enough end-product for me and others have more goals, threat & cutting edge than him, decent squad player but wouldn't be in my starting eleven now that we have Sutton, Kyle and several wingers.

What a load of nonsense! the most talented player at the club, calm down for God's sake man.

OK. You see him in training every day do you?

OK. You see him in training every day do you?

No but I have seen him enough times to form the opinion that he is not the best player at the club.

At the end of the day it is what he does in competetive matches that matters not what he does in training.

He will have to convince JJ that he can warrant a regular start and once he does that he may well improve and who knows perhaps one day he may turn out to be the best player at the club but at the moment, I don't think so.

jamboinglasgow

No but I have seen him enough times to form the opinion that he is not the best player at the club.

At the end of the day it is what he does in competetive matches that matters not what he does in training.

He will have to convince JJ that he can warrant a regular start and once he does that he may well improve and who knows perhaps one day he may turn out to be the best player at the club but at the moment, I don't think so.

Talented and best are not always the same thing. It may have been better from IBH to say the most skillful.

When JJ was appointed he said the first thing he noticed about novi is that when he loses the ball or miss places a pass his head goes down and that he is going to try and build up his confidence

When JJ was appointed he said the first thing he noticed about novi is that when he loses the ball or miss places a pass his head goes down and that he is going to try and build up his confidence

That was nearly a year and a half ago......anyway, I hope Novi has a top, top season for us.

The Old Tolbooth

I agree with the posters who state that if he grew a pair of nuts that he would be a decent player for us, he's too powder puff, although the signs at Methil were certainly more encouraging than they were last season, but I too worry that McInnes didn't select him for St Johnstone enough and wonder if there's a reason behind it.

Archived