McGregor signs 6 year deal ....

Walter Bishop

rossthejambo

Go away, Troll.

You are one sad, sad individual.

If only Doug was still here, so you could piss off and hang on his every word.

Get your shite banter to ****.

MA HA

:lol: :lol:

Ray Winstone

Go away, Troll.

:pleasing:

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Go away, Troll.

:davebp:

JamboRossi79

McGregor isn't even the best goalkeeper in Scotland IMHO

How many howlers did he make last season ?

If he was playing for us there is no way he would be the current Scotland No. 1.

Great keeper, proven himself at the highest levels revently. Internationally and in the CL.

Rightfully the current Scotland number 1 too.

Seems a good bit of business by Rangers, they could command 6 to 10 million for him now.

McGregor is capable of the odd outstanding save, he had a blinder gainst Werder Bremen away on their run to the final. BUT, he is also capable of letting in a good few howlers during the season. The goal he conceeded against Ireland was embarrassing and he let in a few soft goals in the SPL last season including the one against Hibs when they won 3-0 at Ibrox.

A fit Craig Gordon is a far more consistent player IMO. Also, I doubt you would be gushing over him quite so much if he was a Dubliner playing for the tims.

Jeremy beagle

5 years! This sounds like some of the contracts we used to dish out. Hope both get crocked at Ibrox on the opening day...

Tiberius Stinkfinger

It doesn't make a lot of sense signing players up for that length of time, anything could happen with injuries, fallouts etc..

Its obviously a ploy to get a bigger transfer fee but if either of them were any good they wouldn't be in the SPL in the 1st place.

This could backfire quite spectacularly on the Currents, fingers crossed.

Am I the only one that doesn't rate Whittaker that highly?

I agree with you.

SPL is his level.

Fozzyonthefence

What planet you on?

He played every CL game last season.

2 clean sheets against Bursaspor and Man U.

In 3 other games he only conceded the 1 goal, 2 of which were a Maurice Edu own goal and a Rooney Penalty.

He was outstanding last season. At the highest levels, playing for a far weaker team than the opponents.

The jersey he wears won't stop me being honest. The guy is a very very good keeper.

He's hopeless on cross balls and that is why he will never be world class but granted a great shot stopper. If Rangers have any intention of keeping him for 6 years (and I don't think they do) it's probably a good, safe option for him as I think he would get found out in the EPL, especially against the likes of Stoke City who would be pumping loads of cross and high balls in on him. Also, his mistakes at Rangers dodn't get scrutinised too much which would not be the case in the EPL - ask Craig Gordon.

And lets not get too excited about a clean sheet against a Man U reserve team who failed to get a shot on target or against one of the worst teams ever to play in the CL.

alwaysthereinspirit

A disgusting human being who rightfully was banned from ever playing for Scotland again.

PS. I hate all the Rankgers wannabes who hijack these threads to tell us all the great things about Rankgers and their super stars.:verymad::yucky:

Walter Bishop

Anyone who thinks this is good business is delusional. 26k per week for Mcgregor and 15k per week for Whittaker :lol::lol::lol:

I know pleanty of Rangers fans that dont rate Whittaker and are raging at this!!!!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'd just like to bring this story to the attention of the person on here who recently said that rangers can't compete with championship wages.

Bollocks, as I duly pointed out

Guest Dipped Flake

I'd just like to bring this story to the attention of the person on here who recently said that rangers can't compete with championship wages.

They can compete against them for a few weeks maybe. These deals are for the sole reason of bumping up the price any team has to pay for them IMO. I just hope it backfires and clubs are scared off so rangers are stuck paying these ludicrous wages

rossthejambo

If you think that the likes of Cardiff couldn't match McGregor's or Whittaker's wages then you're sorely mistaken.

I'd imagine that signing on fees and transfer fees are what's really stopping Rangers buy anyone though.

These 2 deals are to appease the masses, and I doubt that it's working in all honesty.

Hawick Jambo

Spot on Ross. V pleasing to see Rangers coughing up lots of dosh to stay the same.

I think Whittaker is a decent SPL player and McGregor is a v good SPL keeper. I think a fit Craig Gordon is a far better keeper than McG but as we all know Craig has had his fitness probs recently. I would hope that if fit and playting regularly Levein would reinstate him into the Scotland team.

As for these deals, how even more laughable does that make the Huns initial ?300k offer for Wallace. Thieving b**tards

alwaysthereinspirit

Spot on Ross. V pleasing to see Rangers coughing up lots of dosh to stay the same.

I think Whittaker is a decent SPL player and McGregor is a v good SPL keeper. I think a fit Craig Gordon is a far better keeper than McG but as we all know Craig has had his fitness probs recently. I would hope that if fit and playting regularly Levein would reinstate him into the Scotland team.

As for these deals, how even more laughable does that make the Huns initial ?300k offer for Wallace. Thieving b**tards

I would like to think that if Wallace is still a target for Rankgers his agent will ask for the same type contract just to see how much they really want him. Rankgers offering a Scottish international anything less should be seen as an insult to Wallace and if not signing a new contract with us will chase him down South.

I have never heard of anyone getting a 6 year contract before - especially the way the game is now.

Crazy stuff but fantastic for McGregor

So that will be near enough the ?5m war chest done and dusted by signing up 2 existing players? If Davis signs a new deal I guess we can slam the lid shut on the war chest for another season.

Goodwillie will be off to England and Wallace will hopefully sign a new deal with us.

Quite pleased with all of this.

What planet you on?

He played every CL game last season.

2 clean sheets against Bursaspor and Man U.

In 3 other games he only conceded the 1 goal, 2 of which were a Maurice Edu own goal and a Rooney Penalty.

He was outstanding last season. At the highest levels, playing for a far weaker team than the opponents.

The jersey he wears won't stop me being honest. The guy is a very very good keeper.

Are you conveniently forgetting the Valencia game when in desparation he came for 3 cross balls and got his finger tips to and no more. For the first 2 while lying on has backside, Rangers just cleared the danger, but for the 3rd, Valencia eventually scored.

And for their 3rd goal Costa had one of 2 options to score. A thundering volley with the ball coming over his left shoulder, or bringing it down immendiately and scoring from a tight angle. Both unbelievably difficult. Fortunately for Costa, McGregor went walkabout and got caught in no mans land meaning only a half decent effort on target would go in.

You are also forgetting Rangers tactics of playing 5-4-1 meant they were never going to get caught on the break and they generally protect their keeper very well.

Even in his great game against Wedrer 4 years ago, when he made 4 class saves, he also came for and missed 4 cross balls he should stayed on his line - 2 of which Bremen should have scored. 3 or 4 years later and he is still making the same mistakes.

He's a very good shotstopper - apart from when he tries to make saves look better than he has to (Hibs and Celtic last season as examples off the top of my head). But he still got lots to learn. He's just very slow in doing it.

Personally I'm delighted Rangers are horsing ?26k a week on him.

McGregor isn't even the best goalkeeper in Scotland IMHO

How many howlers did he make last season ?

If he was playing for us there is no way he would be the current Scotland No. 1.

So who in your opinion is the best Scottish keeper in Scotland then,and how the hell would he not be playing for Scotland if he played for us?

So who in your opinion is the best Scottish keeper in Scotland then,and how the hell would he not be playing for Scotland if he played for us?

For as much as I dislike McGregor and believe Gordon is better, only Forster last season came close, with Randolph at Motherwell next, probably followed by Kello.

None are Scottish though.

For as much as I dislike McGregor and believe Gordon is better, only Forster last season came close, with Randolph at Motherwell next, probably followed by Kello.

None are Scottish though.

Stick around,I'm pretty sure the reply will be priceless.

Charlie-Brown

So a substantial part of the WARCHEST is being spent on keeping McGregor, Whittaker and probably also Davies on new bumper long term deals .... this strengthens Rangers how exactly? At best it prevents them from being further weakened by losing these players.

BobbyJenkins

Great shot stopper but thats about it imo, and i recall a few excellent saves were after he ###### up in the first place. A good keeper but not as good as Gordon imo and possibly Kello if he continues his form from last season.

As others have said, this is surely about maximising the fee for him IF anyone comes in for him.

My sister in law is a Rangers fan and she is actually delighted that they have kept him on. she also made a valid point in that he won them the league (and before you all shout bollox) she mentioned the Penalty save in the last OF derby against Samaras, which when you look at it is probably true.

I think he is a good keeper but two things let him down, one he is a thug (never forgiven him for that outrageous challenge on Elliot after the whistle was blown at Tynie) and second his inabilty to catch a cross (although the sis in law did say her whole club have problems with crosses, her words no mine)

If Rangers get a decent fee for him it is good business (it is what we are doing with Lee) but if not it could seriously backfire on them and that would be delightful.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

If you think that the likes of Cardiff couldn't match McGregor's or Whittaker's wages then you're sorely mistaken.

Trust me, there is hardly a club in the championship who will pay 26k a week. As for Cardiff, they won't fork out what they paid last season for Bellamy/olofinjana/koumas/keogh etc

That's not what he said, though.

Is it?

Anyway, if McGregor is worth ?6m-?10m, I look forward to the ?6m to ?10m we would be getting for Marian :thumbsup:

That's not what he said, though.

Is it?

Anyway, if McGregor is worth ?6m-?10m, I look forward to the ?6m to ?10m we would be getting for Marian :thumbsup:

Erm,yes it is.

Tommy Wiseau

Erm,yes it is.

No it isn't. He said he wasn't the best goalkeeper in Scotland.

No it isn't. He said he wasn't the best goalkeeper in Scotland.

Bloody hell,here we go,he said that if he played for US he wouldn't be Scotlands number one,so WHO would be then,WHo in Scottish football that can play for Scotland is better than shagger,pray tell me?

Tommy Wiseau

Bloody hell,here we go,he said that if he played for US he wouldn't be Scotlands number one,so WHO would be then,WHo in Scottish football that can play for Scotland is better than shagger,pray tell me?

You'll have to ask him that. I happen to agree that McGregor is the best Scottish goalkeeper outside of Craig Gordon.

Just pointing out a little inaccuracy in the post champ. :thumbsup:

Well, he's not Scotland's number one, is he?

So your point is moot.

My sister in law is a Rangers fan and she is actually delighted that they have kept him on. she also made a valid point in that he won them the league (and before you all shout bollox) she mentioned the Penalty save in the last OF derby against Samaras, which when you look at it is probably true.

I think he is a good keeper but two things let him down, one he is a thug (never forgiven him for that outrageous challenge on Elliot after the whistle was blown at Tynie) and second his inabilty to catch a cross (although the sis in law did say her whole club have problems with crosses, her words no mine)

If Rangers get a decent fee for him it is good business (it is what we are doing with Lee) but if not it could seriously backfire on them and that would be delightful.

On the other hand he cost them the new year Derby going walkabout at the 1st goal.

He's a good keeper alright, but for 26k a week I'd be wanting a lot better

JamboRossi79

First off you need to learn how to read.

Second whoever was playing for Rankgers would be touted by the media just like McGregor has been therefore currently it would be Alexander that would be getting the hype IMHO

Forster and Kello are better and have made fewer mistakes this season and as someone else mentioned Randolph has been pretty consistent this season too.

You'll have to ask him that. I happen to agree that McGregor is the best Scottish goalkeeper outside of Craig Gordon.

Just pointing out a little inaccuracy in the post champ. :thumbsup:

I would think than any sane person would agree,at the moment shagger IS Scotlands number one.

First off you need to learn how to read.

Second whoever was playing for Rankgers would be touted by the media just like McGregor has been therefore currently it would be Alexander that would be getting the hype IMHO

Forster and Kello are better and have made fewer mistakes this season and as someone else mentioned Randolph has been pretty consistent this season too.

Oh I don't think I really need to learn to read anymore than I can at the moment,but thanks anyway.

"Second" your paranoia shows no limits at all.

As for your last little piece,we'll see just how many clubs and their stature come in for Kello,that is usually a good barometer of how good a player is.

But lets end it with this,I tend to think that shagger is the best keeper in Scotland at the present moment and I know I'm not alone in saying that.

A disgusting human being who rightfully was banned from ever playing for Scotland again.

PS. I hate all the Rankgers wannabes who hijack these threads to tell us all the great things about Rankgers and their super stars.:verymad::yucky:

Alright pal :thumbsup:

132goals1958

I find it difficult to get my head round this one. A six-year deal for a goalkeeper at ?26k a week seems high risk to say the least. Whilst there has been some speculation on a move down south, is there likely to be a queue of potential suitors, knowing that they will have to at least match his current salary. Although he has acquitted himself well in recent seasons, I still have my doubts if he would earn a move to the top flight in the premiership. The perception of the SPL might also be a deterring influence as he is hardly overworked week in /week out. To pay that sort of money where Rangers could effectively play their second string goalkeeper in the majority of games seems bizarre, whilst an injury or a dip in form might also see the deal go pear shaped. Hopefully the deal is being financed from future season ticket sales, which will give the uglies some food for thought the next time he has a howler.

I find it difficult to get my head round this one. A six-year deal for a goalkeeper at ?26k a week seems high risk to say the least. Whilst there has been some speculation on a move down south, is there likely to be a queue of potential suitors, knowing that they will have to at least match his current salary. Although he has acquitted himself well in recent seasons, I still have my doubts if he would earn a move to the top flight in the premiership. The perception of the SPL might also be a deterring influence as he is hardly overworked week in /week out. To pay that sort of money where Rangers could effectively play their second string goalkeeper in the majority of games seems bizarre, whilst an injury or a dip in form might also see the deal go pear shaped. Hopefully the deal is being financed from future season ticket sales, which will give the uglies some food for thought the next time he has a howler.

Ian,

Isn't this what Johnston alluded to when conveying his concerns around Whyte's ?25m 5 year transfer pot?

132goals1958

Ian,

Isn't this what Johnston alluded to when conveying his concerns around Whyte's ?25m 5 year transfer pot?

Yes I think it was Colin -- hopefully the chickens will come home to roost.

As for your last little piece,we'll see just how many clubs and their stature come in for Kello,that is usually a good barometer of how good a player is.

How many concrete bids have been made for McGregor exactly?

On the other hand he cost them the new year Derby going walkabout at the 1st goal.

He's a good keeper alright, but for 26k a week I'd be wanting a lot better

Can't Argue with any of that buddy.

Archived